Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

mlmp08 posted:

I keep re-catching the M2 Carbine bug once in a while, despite how dumb such a purchase would be.

It'll just keep getting dumber the longer you wait, so get one now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Been refreshing the tracker, paper 1s and 4s, and there is a definite drop off.
Hump has been humped.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Naw. They'll discover a new dinosaur with a longer neck.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

stgdz
Nov 3, 2006

158 grains of smiley powered justice

How well would a tirant 45 work on a 9mm carbine, with a 9mm end cap. That capitol armory deal is tempting me.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I run a Tirant 45 on my MP5K with the stock end cap and it runs fine and hearing safe.

Are other caliber end caps even available?

Steeltalon
Feb 14, 2012

Perps were uncooperative.

The numbers I saw from Capital Armory with a Hybrid going from .45 to a 9mm/.38 cap was barely worth mentioning. From .45 to .30 cap made a marked improvement. But, .45 to .223 made a dramatic improvment. I know it's not the same suppressor but probably give a good idea of the possibility. If I was going to shoot 9mm from a .45 can the $70 cap probably wouldn't be worth the investment for me personally.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.

College Slice

Fog Tripper posted:

Been refreshing the tracker, paper 1s and 4s, and there is a definite drop off.
Hump has been humped.
I'm starting to have faith I'll see my machine gun before the end of the year. Check cashed 2/7 personal transfer from a dealer.

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

Sten Freak posted:

I'm starting to have faith I'll see my machine gun before the end of the year. Check cashed 2/7 personal transfer from a dealer.

Post a pic, I'm already half mast

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.

College Slice

Snowman Crossing posted:

Post a pic, I'm already half mast
I posted a pic somewhere but cannot find it.

Literally speaking, the MG is just an M2 disconnector.

It looks like an M1 carbine with a selector switch on it and a big rear end compensator on the end. I'm considering building a host for the disconnector like this:

Or maybe just the cutdown barrel and a repro paratrooper stock. But I need to live with it a while in regular form.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

I hate potbelly stocks. That said I know you'll have fun with your M2. I know I did when my M1A1 went FA.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

College Slice

Yeah the potbellys just feel a little wide in the hand.

There's no rule that says you have to use one on an M2. I've got a few M1 stocks that are cut for the selector, not to mention one of the repro paratroopers on the market is.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I still need to shoot one of my M1s.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Check out my hot takes because I'm a straight white male

Aren't paratroopers stocks absolutely terrible at functioning as a stock? They look cool but I've read they're garbage to actually use.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Dick Burglar posted:

Aren't paratroopers stocks absolutely terrible at functioning as a stock? They look cool but I've read they're garbage to actually use.

My recently passed grandfather said that he'd lose his in favor of a garand every chance he got.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Dick Burglar posted:

No worse than a wire underfolder. They werent designed to be comfortable, or for people with human sizes hands.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

College Slice

Could it be any worse than a stock cut down to a pistol grip with finger grooves?

Seriously though, itd just be for blasting, mixing it up. When you shell out for a MG one of the first things you (me anyway) think about are configurations, caliber conversions, all that jazz. More things you can do with your toy.

stgdz
Nov 3, 2006

Well, I got to shoot a 1911 with Tirant M today.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Looks like the ATF web wizards broke your link to the 5320.20. Here's the URL I was able to find in their Forms Library: https://www.atf.gov/file/11361/download

ETA: Lol do not use this one but this is the outdated October 2003 revision that comes up when you use their site search instead of browsing through the Forms Library:
https://www.atf.gov/file/4781/download

ETA2: Hmm, when I filed my Form 4, my trust documents have my address as my previous home. I've moved since, and I'd like to put my current address on the 5320.20, but do I need to let the ATF know I've moved first?

HappyCapybaraFamily fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Aug 3, 2017

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

You could just include a letter with the 5320.20 saying you've moved intrastate and that's why the address is different. They'd almost certainly figure it out without the letter too.

Thanks for the heads up on the broken link, it's fixed.

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013

Appreciate the updated thread.

I mailed in a Form 1 Trust on Feb-3 for an SBR. They were quick to cash the check, I think they did that within a week. But it looks like I'll probably still have 2-3 months before I get anything back

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

College Slice

iroc.dis posted:

Appreciate the updated thread.

I mailed in a Form 1 Trust on Feb-3 for an SBR. They were quick to cash the check, I think they did that within a week. But it looks like I'll probably still have 2-3 months before I get anything back
Edit: Feb 3rd. OK yeah that's where I am too. I'm guessing about the same.

NFA tracker has nice downhill forming in the chart

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Sten Freak posted:

People like the guy who reported he got his stamp from a March 10 2017 form should have his form put on the bottom of the pile.

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013

Sten Freak posted:

I'm just going off the average time from check-cashing to form-being-approved (257). Figured it shouldn't take that much time after it gets approved to mail it from GA to SC, but then again its the ATF so they'll probably just route it through Alaska or some stupid poo poo.

What all do you have waiting? I have a 7.5" 9mm AR "pistol" sitting here just asking to not look stupid.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Pending I have:

CZ scorpion form 1
Omega 9k for above
Dead Air Mask

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

8.3" Blackout and Omega .300
My forms were delivered late March.

MrBusiness
Jan 19, 2016

I extended the graph forward and drew the "today line". Any approvals that go through today will fall along that line, the slope of which is the steepest possible that the graph of actual approvals over time could take. Move where the line hits the date axis back a few days and any approvals that land on it were approved that day.

The downward trend only started about a week ago and it's already pretty close to the steepest it could possibly be. Assuming they keep reducing the time it takes to process transfers at the same rate, you can figure out when a can should be approved by 1: extending the Days To Approved vs Date Check Cashed trend forward (black line), 2: drawing a vertical (blue) line on the date your check was cashed, 3: moving the "today line" so that it intersects where the black and blue lines intersect, and 4: following the "today line" to the date axis.

Soooo, based on my wildly optimistic predictions I should get my Gen 4 OSS BPR 1425/SRM-6 on August 18, the check having been cashed Jan 24.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Thanks Craptacular. Looks like a simple letter will be the best way to go about it.

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

I've never had to wait more than a month for a form 4 but I always include a $20 bill in with the paperwork for expedited processing

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

that was a joke please nobody actually try that

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Snowman Crossing posted:

that was a joke please nobody actually try that

Mainly because the people who open the envelopes aren't the people who process the forms so you'd be bribing the wrong people.

FWIW I've read more than one reference to a lawyer back in the 90's when the NFA branch was still in DC, who for a couple hundred bucks would walk connected people's forms over to the ATF and somehow magically get a form 4 approved the same day.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

MrBusiness posted:

The downward trend only started about a week ago and it's already pretty close to the steepest it could possibly be.

What are you basing that on? I think you may be underestimating the dropoff of number of applications over the past year. My money is on that steep angle becoming a sharp downward curve over the next month. No way will it stay at the same angle of slope.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Video thread x-post:

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

Forgotten Weapons did a video on one of my favorite gun stories/books/designs/guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIhGCRIQnCA

MrBusiness
Jan 19, 2016

Fog Tripper posted:

What are you basing that on? I think you may be underestimating the dropoff of number of applications over the past year. My money is on that steep angle becoming a sharp downward curve over the next month. No way will it stay at the same angle of slope.

If by a miracle literally all pending applications were to be approved before midnight tonight they'd all land on the red line. In order to be steeper than the red line they'd have to, idunno, go back in time and approve the more recently-submitted pending applications before today or something like that. It's not really a prediction on my part but a mathematical consequence of how the chart works.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

MrBusiness posted:

If by a miracle literally all pending applications were to be approved before midnight tonight they'd all land on the red line. In order to be steeper than the red line they'd have to, idunno, go back in time and approve the more recently-submitted pending applications before today or something like that. It's not really a prediction on my part but a mathematical consequence of how the chart works.

That chart makes my head hurt.

stgdz
Nov 3, 2006

https://blog.princelaw.com/2017/08/03/breaking-news-atf-to-issue-two-monumental-determinations/

Angled forefrips and modular suppressor being "discussed."

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!

Nap Ghost

Tommy guns heah! Get yer Tommy guns, $45k per!

http://www.thevintagenews.com/2017/06/03/surplus-of-vintage-weapons-including-tommy-guns-on-sale-by-the-st-louis-police-department/

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Well, I did want an Omega 9K, now I want this instead: http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/08/01/dead-air-wolf-9sd/

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Meh, I'd say buy whichever is cheaper. Unless the dead air is significantly quieter in shorty config.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stgdz
Nov 3, 2006

http://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/361125/2072b02f-c9ac-4abd-8fe8-775ec3a04508-269880.JPG

http://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/361125/badf893b-9150-4d6f-a29d-f39e5d1f2803-269881.JPG

http://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/361125/e94f258d-aea7-4821-9c1f-58d297f036ec-269883.JPG

Numbers on that can