Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

Who here has an omega 9k and what hosts do you run it on. My buddy is trying to get rid of some of his stock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

That Hybrid sale a bit back got me thinking; what are my budget-friendly options if I'd like one common can to share between a 300blk, 9mm, and 7.62x39?

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

That Hybrid sale a bit back got me thinking; what are my budget-friendly options if I'd like one common can to share between a 300blk, 9mm, and 7.62x39?

7.62x39 puts you into a rifle can, 9mm puts you into a larger diameter can, so your options are limited if you want one can to do both. Something like the Hybrid or Griffin Optimus would probably be your best bet. The Optimus price is not bad considering all the accessories you get with it.

kdevil II
Aug 18, 2000
Forum Veteran

Cross post from the deals thread:
Capitol armory has a sale on ti-rant 45s for $350: http://www.capitolarmory.com/advanced-armament-aac-tirant-45-suppressor-671.html

There are also some discounts to get it for free with other purchases.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Styles Bitchley posted:

7.62x39 puts you into a rifle can, 9mm puts you into a larger diameter can, so your options are limited if you want one can to do both. Something like the Hybrid or Griffin Optimus would probably be your best bet. The Optimus price is not bad considering all the accessories you get with it.

The Optimus looks perfect for just shoving on everything, thanks!

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

Has there been any detailed explanation how the Maxim 9 works? It's billed as a delayed blowback 9mm. From early images I thought the rods at the slide might be it but those just look to be recoil spring guide rods with the springs in the top of the slide. The only other feature I can see is some kind of tab on the left of the slide that fits in a slot by the breech. Wondering if this is some kind of tension clasp or roller catch something that is the delaying mechanism. Either way I think they are pretty neat and glad to see something different for a change.

Styles Bitchley fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Aug 7, 2017

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

IIRC it's roller locked. There's a video of Ian from Forgotten Weapons playing with one at SHOT and I think that's what he said.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

IIRC it's roller locked. There's a video of Ian from Forgotten Weapons playing with one at SHOT and I think that's what he said.

I think I figured it out, though I can't tell if it's a roller or just a rounded projection on a finger of spring steel or something. Think like the long claw extractor on a Mauser action. The tab I was looking at isn't a catch though, it would just be a guide for the slot outside the barrel. The barrel hood itself has an angle cut on one side, pretty sure this roller or nub wedge locks against that.

Here are some pics I found online with the features and surfaces pointed out. Forgive my crude markup.

Styles Bitchley fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Aug 7, 2017

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Styles Bitchley posted:

I think I figured it out, though I can't tell if it's a roller or just a rounded projection on a finger of spring steel or something. Think like the long claw extractor on a Mauser action. The tab I was looking at isn't a catch though, it would just be a guide for the slot outside the barrel. The barrel hood itself has an angle cut on one side, pretty sure this roller or nub wedge locks against that.

Here are some pics I found outside with the features and surfaces pointed out. Forgive my crude markup.

jesus loving christ if you figure out how to disassemble it does Pinhead come out

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013

My LGS has 2 of them. When I asked how they ran with subs the guy behind the counter said they don't like the 147gr ammo too well. Said it had lots of FTE. Idk if it just needed to be broken in better or if the ammo was the problem.

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

That's definitely a roller.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

5320.20 update: mailed 7/22, approved 8/03, received today 8/07. Neat. That was fast.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Aug 7, 2017

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

I really want to see one taken completely apart. From the little I can see so far I'd have a lot of reservations about it working consistently over different ammo types and long term wear. I like it a lot but probably not enough to be an early adopter. That said I still think it's probably the coolest NFA item to come out in the past decade, as common semi-auto centerfire handguns are the worst suppressor hosts in principle.

Cloudyak
May 14, 2009

Just another American who saw too many movies as a child? Another orphan of a bankrupt culture who thinks he's John Wayne? Rambo? Marshal Dillon?

Styles Bitchley posted:

I really want to see one taken completely apart. From the little I can see so far I'd have a lot of reservations about it working consistently over different ammo types and long term wear. I like it a lot but probably not enough to be an early adopter. That said I still think it's probably the coolest NFA item to come out in the past decade, as common semi-auto centerfire handguns are the worst suppressor hosts in principle.

Mine has been flawless with steady diet of 147 lawman, zero break-in. I will take pictures for you next time I go in to my FFL which will be Friday. Its not really roller locked, it first recoils the inner slide with the striker spring retainer, such as in a glock. Then the side bar that you pointed out unlocks and it moves back with the two recoil rods on top of the slide. There may be rollers in there somewhere as I haven't had it apart yet.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

Cloudyak posted:

Mine has been flawless with steady diet of 147 lawman, zero break-in. I will take pictures for you next time I go in to my FFL which will be Friday. Its not really roller locked, it first recoils the inner slide with the striker spring retainer, such as in a glock. Then the side bar that you pointed out unlocks and it moves back with the two recoil rods on top of the slide. There may be rollers in there somewhere as I haven't had it apart yet.

Cool that would be great to see. I'm not sure if the pictures I posted are even the final version as some recent videos look to have a side lock bar or whatever that looks different and does fit into that slot by the breech. I'd also be interested to know if there is just one roller/projection or more than one.

thanks!

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Styles Bitchley posted:

Here are some pics I found online with the features and surfaces pointed out. Forgive my crude markup.

Are we sure that's not a German gun?

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

A.o.D. posted:

Are we sure that's not a German gun?

The mags aren't expensive enough

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

I'm still curious to see how the Maxim fairing long term. It almost couldn't have come out at a worse time, and that's ignoring the whole thing about it being a company's first outing at building a gun. Longevity in terms of both parts wear and how long it stays on market should be interesting.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

so im doing a form 1 for my 300 blackout lower to make an sbr

what should I put for the caliber?

I was reading that 300 BLK or 300 AAC wasn't acceptable, should I just do .30?

also, if my barrel is covered by a hand guard, is that obstructive enough that i should get the caliber engraved on the lower?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

BiohazrD posted:

so im doing a form 1 for my 300 blackout lower to make an sbr

what should I put for the caliber?

I was reading that 300 BLK or 300 AAC wasn't acceptable, should I just do .30?

also, if my barrel is covered by a hand guard, is that obstructive enough that i should get the caliber engraved on the lower?

.30 should be fine, my PAP paperwork just reads "7.62" and the Linda is "9" cause those were the options the e-form gave me, the ATF doesn't give a poo poo about the SAAMI spec. and yes required engravings should be on the receiver in a place where someone can see it without taking the gun apart, though your lower should probably already have a caliber stamp somewhere

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

.30 should be fine, my PAP paperwork just reads "7.62" and the Linda is "9" cause those were the options the e-form gave me. and yes required engravings should be on the receiver in a place where someone can see it without taking the gun apart, though your lower should probably already have a caliber stamp somewhere

it does, but because it was a lower purchased without an upper it reads "CAL: MULTI"

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

BiohazrD posted:

it does, but because it was a lower purchased without an upper it reads "CAL: MULTI"

I think that means you will have to engrave the caliber in addition to the normal Form 1 stuff.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

Bad Dog

Seriously? Stripped lowers basically always say Cal: MULTI and I've never heard of someone engraving their lower with 5.56 or .223

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Tyro posted:

I think that means you will have to engrave the caliber in addition to the normal Form 1 stuff.

You're fine as long as the caliber is engraved on the barrel.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Craptacular posted:

Also who is going to check?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Tremblay posted:

Also who is going to check?

it's exactly the kind of thing I'd expect some dickhead RO amateur enforcer to check when you bring out your scary dwarf rifle

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Craptacular posted:

Good point!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

Bad Dog

ATF won't approve of a Form 1 unless it lists the actual caliber, so MULTI is not ok during the approval process.

ATF doesn't care if you change your caliber after the approval, so MULTI is ok after the approval process.

So write .30 on the Form 1, definitely seriously engrave your lower with .30 or whatever lol, and then just un-engrave it after the Form 1 is approved.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002

it's exactly the kind of thing I'd expect some dickhead RO amateur enforcer to check when you bring out your scary dwarf rifle

And in this hypothetical they'll be removing the handguard/rail to expose said markings?

What ranges do you guys shoot at?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Tremblay posted:

And in this hypothetical they'll be removing the handguard/rail to expose said markings?

I hear some really scary things about shooting in California.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

BiohazrD posted:

I was reading that 300 BLK or 300 AAC wasn't acceptable, should I just do .30

This is the first time I've heard this. Will check the copy if my firm when I get back in town. Fairly certain I put .300 BLK or simply .300.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002

A.o.D. posted:

I hear some really scary things about shooting in California.

Since only cops can have SBRs there, I'd be scared too.

.300AAC is fine. Or was, I have that on an approved F1 from this year.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.

College Slice

Tremblay posted:

I've never seen a range that wanted to look at markings. They want paperwork and unless it's an organized machine gun shoot, usually don't know what they're looking at. That said things are probably changing due to the huge increase in the popularity of suppressors. The last time I went to a public rental range the guy seemed to know what a form 4 was.

Steeltalon
Feb 14, 2012

Perps were uncooperative.

I've never been asked for paperwork at a range. A friend has a registered full auto Uzi. He claims you can shoot all day no problem most places but as soon a single mag goes though the Uzi the cops almost always show up. Apparently people are really scared of full auto.

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005

Is it worth creating a seperate bank account for my NFA trust and doing the purchases through it? Or just use my personal bank account/credit card, etc?

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

That'd be a lot of work for no good reason.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

Bad Dog

Cbear posted:

Is it worth creating a seperate bank account for my NFA trust and doing the purchases through it? Or just use my personal bank account/credit card, etc?

Doesn't matter any more than what pen you use to sign the forms!

Steeltalon
Feb 14, 2012

Perps were uncooperative.

Some how that comes up when googling nfa stuff. Unfortunately the internet never forgets and dumb advice lives on in perpetuity. It's completely unnecessary except for the extremely paranoid. Probably a throwback to when NFA wasn't as popular, or as common as it is now. It's pretty well proven that a lot of the 'tips' floating around from those days are outdated or were never accurate to begin with.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

insist on being physically present for the approval process so you can check the fringe on the flag in the ATF guy's office

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Cbear posted:

No. Yes.