Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

DarkHorse posted:

The main advantages of a trust are that multiple people can have access to the item(s) without the owner being present and that the list of people can be changed periodically

I know, I have a trust, but the post i was replying to specifically mentioned they were interested in a trust because people wanted the stuff after they were gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

Tyro posted:

I know, I have a trust, but the post i was replying to specifically mentioned they were interested in a trust because people wanted the stuff after they were gone.

Thank you all for the info! Great point here as I didn't know about the Form 5. Nobody will be borrowing any of these items without me being present so I think at this point, it's not worth the extra cost and effort to form a trust. I'm not planning on being dead anytime soon or anything but as a person gets older and sees how friends and family go, it's good to develop a living will and a plan for things in case of the unexpected. Thank you all again!

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

Pitre posted:

Thank you all for the info! Great point here as I didn't know about the Form 5. Nobody will be borrowing any of these items without me being present so I think at this point, it's not worth the extra cost and effort to form a trust. I'm not planning on being dead anytime soon or anything but as a person gets older and sees how friends and family go, it's good to develop a living will and a plan for things in case of the unexpected. Thank you all again!

I could be wrong, but I believe you're supposed to restrict access to your NFA items. So if you have a safe and other people know the combo to it, or you left your can out unattended and not in your direct supervision, you might be violating the law. Maybe someone else could tell me what I got wrong. I guess that would be another reason to go with a trust.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!

Nap Ghost

Boner Wad posted:

I could be wrong, but I believe you're supposed to restrict access to your NFA items. So if you have a safe and other people know the combo to it, or you left your can out unattended and not in your direct supervision, you might be violating the law. Maybe someone else could tell me what I got wrong. I guess that would be another reason to go with a trust.

Yeah technically it needs to be in the sole possession of people registered to have it, and that includes being in a safe where someone else knows the combination.

In reality they're never going to come after you for solely that, but it would a charge they could pile on if they were indicting you for other stuff and wanted to nail you to the wall.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Life Before Death
Strength Before Weakness
Journey Before Destination

Yeah don't underestimate the convenience of a trust just for letting someone else have access to it/them with minimal hassle.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Crescent Fresh

In regards to the trust, what would happen if something happened to me before I could add more responsible parties? In my case I have two sons, both may have interest in my stuff when I'm gone, but right now they're too young. Would the trust dissolve upon my death if I hadn't added them to it and would they have a recourse to claim them? Or is that something I can stipulate in a living will in the event I die before they are mature enough to be added to the trust?

I only have two stamps right now so starting a trust isn't a huge cost sink right now. Just weighing my options.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!

Nap Ghost

ChesterJT posted:

In regards to the trust, what would happen if something happened to me before I could add more responsible parties? In my case I have two sons, both may have interest in my stuff when I'm gone, but right now they're too young. Would the trust dissolve upon my death if I hadn't added them to it and would they have a recourse to claim them? Or is that something I can stipulate in a living will in the event I die before they are mature enough to be added to the trust?

I only have two stamps right now so starting a trust isn't a huge cost sink right now. Just weighing my options.

It's all defined when you start the trust. That's actually a requirement to be a valid trust I believe, how the assets are supposed to be unwound upon the death of any and all trustees. Generally, you designate who will be responsible for distributing the trust's assets (generally not supposed to be a trustee) and any contingent/backup options.

This is definitely something to discuss with a legal professional if you don't like what the default trust language says.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark

NFA items can be transferred tax free using an ATF Form 5 from the trust of the deceased to a individual or new trust, but there has to be specific language in the trust designating who can distribute trust assets and who can receive trust assets.

stgdz
Nov 3, 2006

158 grains of smiley powered justice

Got a cga kraken
Where can I get the trilug adapter for it so I can mount it on some of my guns?

It's seemingly sold out everywhere.

Toshokan
Apr 11, 2008
Prepare yourself for some obtuse logic--->

Where did you guys go to get your trusts notarized?

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

Toshokan posted:

A notary

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

Toshokan posted:

UPS stores usually have one on staff.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

If you have a bank account at a local bank or credit union they might notarize documents for free. If that's not an option most UPS stores or FedEx/Kinkos have notaries on staff.

Edit: ya beat me to it!

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

I go to the credit union where I am a member

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

stgdz posted:

Got a cga kraken
Where can I get the trilug adapter for it so I can mount it on some of my guns?

It's seemingly sold out everywhere.

I don't know what a cga kraken is. What is the thread pitch?

I have one of these on my MPX https://inleadwetrust.com/product/hk-navy-style-3-lug-suppressor-adapter-w-1-2-28-muzzle/

I've also heard the Griffin ones are good https://www.griffinarmament.com/9mm-3-lug-barrel-adapters/

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Think they are talking about the adapter on the suppressor so this part https://cgsgroup.com/product/3-lug/

I donít own a CGS but emailing them and asking what the back order lead time is might be a good idea. Mine were back ordered but only 4 weeks out.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

I sent in my individual efile Form 1 for an SBR in July 2020. It's been 270 days in pending.

I've called at least 5 times, done the Ask The Experts multiple times and they only responded once with a canned response about being backed up due to the pandemic. This response was from when I asked in March (last month).

At what point is "enough is enough" and how can I escalate this at all? One time when I called and told the guy if I could get some clarification on why it's being held up, he seemed to want to help and asked me to hold on while he transferred me and then of course the call got dropped.

Is there a limit where if they don't give me an approval or rejection that the form is passed or nullified? I'm getting ready to issue a chargeback to the federal government for my tax stamp...

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

I didn't realize eform1s were that backed up now, I haven't done one since last year, is that the norm now or are you getting hosed? The last one I did was about a year ago and it was only pending for 2 weeks before it was approved.

As far as I know there isn't a time limit in which they are required to make a decision.

Sucks that is happening to you, hopefully someone else has some better insight into the situation.

edit to add: if you're way outside the "norm" of how long these are taking currently, like if lots of other people are getting them back in a month and you're getting the runaround, you're almost to the point where I'd consider contacting your member of Congress to inquire on your behalf.

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

Tyro posted:

I didn't realize eform1s were that backed up now, I haven't done one since last year, is that the norm now or are you getting hosed? The last one I did was about a year ago and it was only pending for 2 weeks before it was approved.

As far as I know there isn't a time limit in which they are required to make a decision.

Sucks that is happening to you, hopefully someone else has some better insight into the situation.

edit to add: if you're way outside the "norm" of how long these are taking currently, like if lots of other people are getting them back in a month and you're getting the runaround, you're almost to the point where I'd consider contacting your member of Congress to inquire on your behalf.

They're not taking that long, that's way outside the norm. I did one earlier this year and it came back in less than 30 days. NFA tracker shows similar times. You may want to try your rep at this point.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

I live in Maryland though so I'm not sure many reps are going to go to bat for me but hell I'll give it a shot.

I filed another Form 1 on Friday for my new Scorpion after that whole Biden Wants Braces thing and it will be darkly funny if that one returns in a month while the other was sent to a landfill or whatever.

Chupacabra
May 20, 2005

Did you submit your fingerprints already, or just complete the initial form?

You should get an email with the fingerprint cover letter PDF after you submit the form and pay for the tax stamp.

I did a form1 SBR last month and got approved about 3 weeks after mailing off my fingerprint cards.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

Yes I submitted the fingerprints with the cover letter and sent the copy of the form to my Cleo and everything. They verified that they received them as well.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

Yes I submitted the fingerprints with the cover letter and sent the copy of the form to my Cleo and everything. They verified that they received them as well.

Check your PMs.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

fatman1683 posted:

Check your PMs.

I saw it and I'm planning to try it today - thank you for the tip!

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

My SBR form 1 was approved today!
So, do.. I need to do anything else?
I think engrave something on the receiver, yeah?

- eta: appears yeah. Print out the stamp. Amd get that baby engraved.

The Bananana fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Apr 21, 2021

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

The Bananana posted:

My SBR form 1 was approved today!
So, do.. I need to do anything else?
I think engrave something on the receiver, yeah?

- eta: appears yeah. Print out the stamp. Amd get that baby engraved.

If youíre still in Austin go to this guy: https://austinengravingsolutions.business.site/

The business is run out of a shop at his house and thereís a farm next door with great food while you want on your poo poo to be engraved. And it was the cheapest engraver I found who would do guns in town.

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

I assume the engraving on an SBR needs to have Name, City/State/Country, Model, Caliber, and Serial Number like I had to for my form 1 suppressors? Model and serial number on silencers are just made up by the builder, is that the same for SBR?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Pitre posted:

I assume the engraving on an SBR needs to have Name, City/State/Country, Model, Caliber, and Serial Number like I had to for my form 1 suppressors? Model and serial number on silencers are just made up by the builder, is that the same for SBR?

You only need to add Manufacturer Name (i.e your name or your trust's name) and city if you form 1 and other markings exist.

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

L0cke17 posted:

You only need to add Manufacturer Name (i.e your name or your trust's name) and city if you form 1 and other markings exist.

Woot, perfect, thanks!

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013

Thatís assuming the caliber marking already on the lower is the caliber on the form. If itís an AR marked in .223/5.56 and you registered it as a .300blk you would need to mark it .300blk.

This doesnít mean you canít change uppers, just that the original registered caliber must be marked on the lower.

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

All of the info is appreciated! I also found a local NFA engraving company so I'm all lined up. I just called and ordered another set of my prints from Silencer Shop. This is my 3rd Form 1 I have done where I've gotten copies of my prints from them and I keep getting the same guy when I call to order them. He remembered me and asked if I'm sure I only want one set this time hah. I keep telling him that I think this is the last time...

I already have an SBA-3 w/ mil-spec carbine buffer tube so it should be a piece of cake to slap on a collapsible stock. I have a local place that has a pretty good selection so I'll take my AR and go try some on so I can get the correct OAL for the Form 1.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

Pitre posted:

I just called and ordered another set of my prints from Silencer Shop.

Someone in a forum or Reddit said that Silencer Shop doesnít do this anymore but I did it about 6 months ago due to some ATF change. Glad they are still doing it.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Life Before Death
Strength Before Weakness
Journey Before Destination

I think they still can mail you cards, but you have to call it's not on their website for security reasons.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

ilkhan posted:

I think they still can mail you cards, but you have to call it's not on their website for security reasons.

I saw on their instagram the other day that they're still sending them, but ilkhan is right they are a phone-only item. Sorry goons you have to talk to a human.

Deadmeat99
May 18, 2004

Stupid Lurker

JRay88 posted:

Thatís assuming the caliber marking already on the lower is the caliber on the form. If itís an AR marked in .223/5.56 and you registered it as a .300blk you would need to mark it .300blk.

This doesnít mean you canít change uppers, just that the original registered caliber must be marked on the lower.

ATF 479.102 https://regulations.atf.gov/479-102/2019-06264 says caliber/gauge can be "placed on the frame, receiver, or barrel thereof". If caliber is already stamped/engraved on the barrel from the manufacturer doesn't that meet the requirement?

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

Deadmeat99 posted:

ATF 479.102 https://regulations.atf.gov/479-102/2019-06264 says caliber/gauge can be "placed on the frame, receiver, or barrel thereof". If caliber is already stamped/engraved on the barrel from the manufacturer doesn't that meet the requirement?

Probably, but it would have to be visible. Engraving on the barrel normally applies to bolt guns and other things with exposed barrels.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

CGS Mod 9SK on an Extra EP9

Can't wait to take it out soon!

Toshokan
Apr 11, 2008

Armacham posted:

CGS Mod 9SK on an Extra EP9

Can't wait to take it out soon!

How do you like the EP9? Do you think it's worth the tradeoff in not being able to customize it compared to a standard AR9?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

I really like it. It shoots softer than the AR9s I've tried. Not as good as anything roller locked mind you, but it's nice compared to other blowback. I had a VG6 epsilon with CAGE device before the can and there was almost no muzzle rise. The price is nice too.

There are a few people making some aftermarket parts, but there's not much I would change about it that's not cosmetic, tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshokan
Apr 11, 2008

Armacham posted:

I really like it. It shoots softer than the AR9s I've tried. Not as good as anything roller locked mind you, but it's nice compared to other blowback. I had a VG6 epsilon with CAGE device before the can and there was almost no muzzle rise. The price is nice too.

There are a few people making some aftermarket parts, but there's not much I would change about it that's not cosmetic, tbh.

Cool, thanks for the review.

I've heard some people say that the handguard gets hot after a few mags, but I bet the AFG ameliorates that pretty well. Others have complained about the proprietary buffer tube system preventing them from switching out the provided brace to whatever they want, but my understanding is that there is a 3D printed adapter available that will allow for a mil-spec buffer tube.

In general, does it seem more reliable than other AR9s? Have you had much in the way of malfunctions?