Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
general anime
Jan 8, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm not trying to be disrespectful. I'm just trying to open up a discussion on why in the world an adult would play a board game.I really don't get it. You guys are adults, right? I totally get playing checkers and connect 4 when you're a kid without an income, because a 5 dollar cardboard box is all your happiness is worth to your parents. 60 dollars can be a lot for someone without a job, but it is time to grow up and start paying for your entertainment. Sometimes I pay 80 dollars for a game, and then 20 dollars on top of that to pay for a subscription to that same game, and I'm not even talking about cosmetic items and expansion packs. If you're poor, it is completely understandable to play Yahtzee or Go Fish because there isn't much of an investment. If you're an adult, go to gamestop NOW. I can assure you that your return of investment is much greater.

Video games are also for adults because there is a rating system. If I had to rate every single board game I've played I would give them the kiddie game rating EC for Early Childhood. I play a lot of rated M games.

There is a lot of talk about board games involving a lot of strategy and intelligence. For every 1 Monopoly there is about 20 Civilization 5's for me to choose from, and there is a lot more land to own than the same 20 boring places. Did I mention I can kill people in that game?

Clue? Heavy Rain. L.A. Noire. I keep hearing all this talk about Settlers of Catan and I looked it up and there's already a video game made of that.

I know every single tabletop gamers Ace up their wizard sleeves is the board game called Dungeons and Dragons. I'll just leave this here -- its something with a much better story and actual graphics, enjoy : http://www.bestbuy.com/site/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-special-edition-playstation-4/5357201.p?skuId=5357201

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

But OP, what if my fun comes from making other people uncomfortable with my gameplay?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
When I do the clumsy, awkward, romance in Mass Effect I can't force the writer to look me in the eyes while acting out the flirting and by god no video game will ever replicate that human factor.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
no one here actually plays board games, they all play *shudder* tabletop rpgs

slam flanders
Jan 13, 2015

gambler here - video games are for poors

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

pfft 80 dollars for a game, what are you, a poor? I paid 200 dollars for one of my board games

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

edit: i agree with op

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

all games are dumb, go the gently caress outside and play in the dirt

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Drone posted:

playing in the dirt outside is also a game though :confused:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

general anime posted:

I know every single tabletop gamers Ace up their wizard sleeves is the board game called Dungeons and Dragons. I'll just leave this here -- its something with a much better story and actual graphics, enjoy : http://www.bestbuy.com/site/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-special-edition-playstation-4/5357201.p?skuId=5357201

Skyrim is very good at the experience of being a person, who may or may not be a cat, with dragon powers, adventuring in the frozen north province of Tamriel.

It does not do so well at simulating a group of wizards bartering with devils for power, a caravan traveling through the deserts, or a computer composed of skeletons, among others.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Skyrim is very good at the experience of being a person, who may or may not be a cat, with dragon powers, adventuring in the frozen north province of Tamriel.

It does not do so well at simulating a group of wizards bartering with devils for power, a caravan traveling through the deserts, or a computer composed of skeletons, among others.

Skyrim is "go into dungeon, loot until you are board with the game, uninstall" simulator.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Drone posted:

In the dirt? Like a peasant? Time to be an adult and go to the spa.

general anime
Jan 8, 2013

by Lowtax

Okay, your ignorance is showing. Bartering with devils for power: Ever hear of the Daedra? Mmk moving on. A caravan traveling : SKYRIM OPENS UP ITS EPIC STORY WITH YOU TRAVELING IN A CARAVAN!!! Computer composed of skeletons: Not sure if you're trolling or what, but Skyrim has tons of skeletons and it is available on the computer :doh: Please do not speak on things which you have no knowledge of. If Skyrim wasn't the best selling game of all time I might just assume that you had never even played it.

general anime
Jan 8, 2013

by Lowtax

LordAba posted:

Skyrim is "go into dungeon, loot until you are board with the game, uninstall" simulator.

Board with the game..? Seems like a Freudian slip on your end. If you mean bored of the game that is probably just because you weren't very good at it. It doesn't hold your hand like Munchkin does or whatever bs you play on your family game night.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

All games are for children, and we should all be ashamed of our juvenile ways.

Video games are slightly better though, because you can play them by yourself to hide your shame.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Geisladisk posted:

All games are for children, and we should all be ashamed of our juvenile ways.

Video games are slightly better though, because you can play them by yourself to hide your shame.

hiding your shame is so passé

slam flanders
Jan 13, 2015

Yesterday,
chess was such an easy game to play
now I think it's really loving gay
steam gift card for my birthday

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Skyrim does get the "I like this but find it very frustrating, time to spend hundreds of hours on homebrew content that doesn't quite satisfy" part of tabletop RPGs down perfectly.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

general anime posted:

Board with the game..? Seems like a Freudian slip on your end. If you mean bored of the game that is probably just because you weren't very good at it. It doesn't hold your hand like Munchkin does or whatever bs you play on your family game night.

Just lol if you don't think Skyrim doesn't hold your hand.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

munchkin reference confirms op as troll, ive cracked the case

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

I play skyrim when i want to be who i really am - a giant boobed cat lady that throws fireballs from my boobs, and my boobs also change size depending on my mana. It's the good lyfe

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Playing the Europa Universalis board game was one of the most nightmarish experiences I ever had and the videogame adaptations are much better. Thank you OP

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
what are your thoughts on board games that you can play on the computer, op

general anime
Jan 8, 2013

by Lowtax

Saalkin posted:

Just lol if you don't think Skyrim doesn't hold your hand.

Well, you must be lolling right now then. Enjoy your kiddie games. Let me put it this way for your little brain to understand:
Morrowind = Board Games
Skyrim = Video Games

Now gently caress off.

general anime
Jan 8, 2013

by Lowtax

Blank Construct posted:

what are your thoughts on board games that you can play on the computer, op

I would never play a board game video game. When I want to play a video game I want to play a video game not a board game.

general anime
Jan 8, 2013

by Lowtax

1st Stage Midboss posted:

Skyrim does get the "I like this but find it very frustrating, time to spend hundreds of hours on homebrew content that doesn't quite satisfy" part of tabletop RPGs down perfectly.

I'm glad we're in agreement. We're going to be getting along just fine in this thread, Dunmer.

If you get what Dunmer means, then you have experienced the untouchable epicness of The Skyrim Lore that only Bethesda can bring. But noo I'm sure your little pdf file campaign is just as good as the Stormcloak questline by all means play that!! [sarcasm]

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I'll answer the OP honestly:
Being able to create stories in settings that don't have a video game version are fun. There's some games with really cool stuff happening that would just be a journal entry in an RPG you find in a crate or something. Even if there is a video game, it's nice being able to generate a character or having the story be important. Like, you can have your head canon for your Skyrim character, but if you were playing a Skyrim pencil & paper with friends that story might actually be important.

It's also kind of a social thing for nerds, it's nice to be able to have a weekly thing set to look forward to.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Why dont you just watch normal cartoons

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
for me there is a huge difference playing a board game with my friends/family and sitting down at my computer and playing so game alone

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Why dont you just watch normal cartoons

harder to jerk off to obv

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

general anime posted:

I'm glad we're in agreement. We're going to be getting along just fine in this thread, Dunmer.

If you get what Dunmer means, then you have experienced the untouchable epicness of The Skyrim Lore that only Bethesda can bring. But noo I'm sure your little pdf file campaign is just as good as the Stormcloak questline by all means play that!! [sarcasm]

To Oblivion with you N'w*h.

general anime
Jan 8, 2013

by Lowtax
On Friday GameStop on Main was closed for fumigation so I used my iPhone to find the closest gameshop to preorder the new CoD. GPS said Gary's Games or something was my only choice, a pitiful mom and pop store not worth supporting. Went in and the desk wasn't manned. Went behind the curtain and saw Gary playing some loving card game with like 20 other Garys. Just slowly closed the curtain and walked out without saying a word. gently caress you nerds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
At the risk of feeding the trolls, board games are mostly about the in-person social experience. Plus, the fact that for a lot of people computers mean work, and so getting away from the screen is a break.

As for RPGs, though, I think that computer RPGs have had an interesting effect in that to some extent TRPGs have been forced to adapt to focus on areas that CRPGs can't deal with, and surrender those that CRPGs simply do better. Thus the larger number of story based games coming out and, while D&D 5e is still the most popular game, a lot of emphasis on "loose" DMing in that game.

Although there is also this:

• Locked thread