Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Duke Chin posted:

Oh yeah I'm relegated to ps4 so I dunno if they get frostbite vs the ps5'ers

It's updated for both versions which shocked the poo poo out of me. It would have been so easy for them to just re-release 21 with a new roster but it makes me suspect the PS5 version is actually just the PS4 version with raytracing turned on and 60fps or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Hockles posted:

It (finally) has a new engine, so some new canned animations I guess.

It's a new engine but looks 95% like the game before. The skating looks jank, passing sucks, and the same glitch goals are back again. There's a menu narrator you literally cannot turn off without muting the master volume, and there's new in-game statistical graphics and stuff at the expense of cutting out a bunch of the instant replays you're probably used to (penalty replays, saves, etc.)

Yet somehow Madden has become the worst franchise of EA's sports offerings, so there's that I guess.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Any improvement in Be A Pro (or whatever the mode is where you create a player and have a career from juniors or whatever) that makes it less poo poo?

Edit: gently caress it I'll buy it and take a look and hope for the best and probably wonder why I bothered

ssb fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Oct 18, 2021

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

It's updated for both versions which shocked the poo poo out of me. It would have been so easy for them to just re-release 21 with a new roster but it makes me suspect the PS5 version is actually just the PS4 version with raytracing turned on and 60fps or something.

I am playing on Series X, and during actual gameplay, I really can't tell the difference. The 60fps is really nice, but as far as graphic improvements go? There really is none. Character models are what really need a major overhaul, they are so bad.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The schedule in NHL 22 franchise does not correspond with the real life schedule. Is this because of covid though?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Finished a full season and won the Stanley cup! This is my first EA Sports NHL title, and I enjoyed playing this game. It's not bad at all, but will likely not buy NHL 23 unless there are major improvements. Will stick to NHL 22 for another year.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
is it just me or does this game look like poo poo graphically? it's like they tried too hard to make it look real and now it's in this video game uncanny valley. everything is all shiny and unnecessarily textured.i can't even bring myself to play it because it's so off-putting visually

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

I said come in! posted:

It's not bad at all, but will likely not buy NHL 23 unless there are major improvements. Will stick to NHL 22 for another year.

This is my review of every single NHL game and then I end up buying the next years anyway

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

V for Vegans posted:

This is my review of every single NHL game and then I end up buying the next years anyway

it's the roster updates
that's why they can never release them on PC again

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Man I just picked this game up and playing against the computer is wildly frustrating even when I win.

It feels like I'm playing an online troll, they'll just skate laterally and backwards all day.

Any time you're near the boards they pin you like glue, probably 10 times a game.

When you have the puck near the cpu it or you're battling for it, it seems like they just automatically steal it, no stick lift or poke check required.

Passing is hilarious, it used to be if you aimed near a teammate that was fine, now it requires an amount of precision I guess I don't have with my thumb (I tried playing a golf game and had to quit because I can't draw it back straight and using 2 fingers and a thumb is stupid.)so I constantly sail passes to noone for icings.

Also the defenders are legit supermen, even if you hard pass to a teammate close by 75% of the time it's on their stick and the rest it just deflects. You can't pass under their stick, through their legs, nope they might as well be a solid impenetrable cylinder. Saucer passes are completely unreliable, as you can't control how high so it's not worth passing unless someone is completely wide open.

Also your CPU teammates don't seem to play up to the difficulty level and are loving worthless at trying to get open or play defense.

Online 3v3 is a load of fun though!

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
change your sliders for a more fun and enjoyable experience

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Duke Chin posted:

change your sliders for a more fun and enjoyable experience

I have similar complaints and was not able to fix them with sliders. I could help the way-too-precise passing aim, but I couldn't fix the ai defense being what they are nor my teammates playing like twats. Nor could I fix my goalie having a save percentage of 50% most of the time.

DrKrankenwagen
Mar 21, 2005

nihl

DrKrankenwagen fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Apr 22, 2022

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
riiiiiiiiise from your grave, thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lp-tpffayvw

lol I dare them to actually put a first person mode in Be A Pro

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
God it sounds like they did gently caress all with franchise again. Should I just keep messing with 19 or are any of the years after worth upgrading to?

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

*taps the thread title*

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

The only good thing they did is put Sarah Nurse on the cover. Game is undoubtedly poo poo, last year's was a waste of money.

I wish I still had my gamecube and NHL 2004, that was fun in college.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

i guess this means they'll make female characters even more unhittable in chel

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

NHL 22 has the new Seattle team so I have no choice but to play that. :(

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
When I saw the new game had crossplay EASHL I was excited to finally have people to play with but I guess it’s just that you can play against other consoles, not on the same team so I guess it’s another year if wishing there was a goon team on PlayStation

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

This is probably the most apt review of the series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaV72g-t9-o

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
I got this new one even though it is basically the same game; I still enjoy drop-in CHEL (with the chat muted, of course) and what the hell else am I gonna do all winter. Not like ps5 has any games anyway amirite

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
it hurts to say because $70 for what's in this game is ridiculous, but the gameplay is quite good, probably my favorite out of the box NHL gameplay in years -- there's a smoothness/responsiveness to it that's way better than anything they've released in a while

e: the obvious bugs that should have been caught in like alpha testing are pretty funny tho, was doing a franchise season and I faced a lower seeded team in the ECF and didn't have home ice :confused:

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Hockles posted:

Love that the game is so boring and bland and broken that Jon felt the need to tell a long, unrelated story about a part time job he once had to pad the runtime. Excellent work, as always, EA.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

For NHL 23, it seems like my players are using soggy noodles for sticks and cant seem to control the puck at all. Even with all of the sliders set to 100 in their favor. What is going on?

xK1
Dec 1, 2003

Just started NHL 23, the last one I played was literally 07 (not counting the 94 rewind). Does anyone have any super basic newbie tips or advice?

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Hockles posted:

Bork bork bork - we did it first

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
RIP Ted’s Face Punching Emporium

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
24 has same team cross play, is there still that crew of Xbox goons who play this game? Might finally actually get to play EASHL with a group.

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008

V for Vegans posted:

24 has same team cross play, is there still that crew of Xbox goons who play this game? Might finally actually get to play EASHL with a group.

There's still a PS5 crew that plays, though we're mostly finished until 24 rolls around. We definitely could have used an extra body or two toward the end stretch of 23.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
Got into the Fifa beta instead of the NHL Beta. Should've saved my code to trade on twitter with the people complaining about getting NHL invites despite never playing NHL before. Anyone get to try it this week? I feel like every year they make it look like big changes and then they balance patch it a month it to make it the same old, but from what I heard of those who played previews, the new pressure system and lack of back skating with the puck actually changed things up a bit. The real question is if for the better or worse.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
this new nhl sucks dick. nerfed hitting, sluggish skating. probably the worst entry in years

maybe they'll release tuners to fix it but as is i can't stand it

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

The only reason I play this game is for Chel and I'll be goddamned if I'm going to spend the year screaming at my television because of single button lacrosse goals

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Do they still have the 2015 goalie animations?

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009
picked this up on sale out of boredom and holy poo poo it's impossible to overstate how bad the UI is; it's like everything out of game was developed by a retarded person on amphetamines. looking for a specific player or card? have a look through 45 nesting menus. chose to skip the tutorial? that's OK, we'll just throw popups at you every screen until you're too aggravated to bother playing a game. want to edit your lineup? every time you click on a player there is a long screen transition so making changes takes forever. how has this franchise become so much worse over the last decade?

Jack_tripper fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Feb 26, 2024

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

i love that this series has become such utter dogshit that we've consolidated into a single thread and don't even move a full page for an entire year's release

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Teemu Pokemon posted:

i love that this series has become such utter dogshit that we've consolidated into a single thread and don't even move a full page for an entire year's release

I enjoyed last years alright but this years has been such utter dog poo poo that I played it like three times and haven't touched it since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I keep saying that they just need to just sell chel as a separate game for like a $30 season pass because I really don't need to buy this game. I'm gonna hate it when they finally close the 23 servers, but i get so many better games now that all the tryhards moved. I always do that but this year has me even questioning if i even care. i think i might just skip this until at least i have a PS5

e: the good thing about chel is that there's no/minimal ai and it actually makes the game playable

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Mar 24, 2024