Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Lowtax owes me $10 back because I paid it before I saw ur posting

:comeonandslamandwelcometojapan:

This is a bad NHL game and 10 hours on EA Access is 9:15 more than I needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

aunt jemima posted:

Mine crashed twice in the first two games I tried.

Combined with the shitpile that is EASHL this year, I'm sending a note to MS to demand/beg for a refund. Lesson learned. Do not preorder NHL

It's no more or less a shitpile than it ever was.

I think 3v3 is a nice addition, at least.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
I'm having fun with it. HUT is improved significantly for me with the challenges (I only ever play it offline as I suck). I like the advanced deke training sessions, and tried threes last night. It's a pretty good addition, though I'm not sure how much depth it'll have.
Just with BAP was improved some, as that's where I spend most of my time.
But for anyone on a budget, if you have no interest in Threes, or the Las Vegas Knights, I can see how this is a skip year, as those aren't enough to warrant the high price range.
Pick it up at Xmas for 50% off (or more), or wait until next year.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
EASHL has and will always own and is worth the $60*

*if you actually have enough people to start a team so you don't have to gently caress with shitdick pubbies in drop ins (and since we're all goons, I can see the part of that equation that makes the hate is valid)

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe
I wasted $60 on this hot piece of garbage so whoever actually has it and a team feel free to hit me up on xbox.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

This is the worst NHL game in the franchise.

e: This franchise will die in 2 years.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I bought it though so I'd like to play it and get the money's worth.

Ashekaban
Aug 30, 2011

Pleads posted:

This is the worst NHL game in the franchise.

e: This franchise will die in 2 years.

Id go with last year.
Threes and 3on3 EASHL are a nice enough addition to keep it decent.
The biggest issue I feel is the actual Gameplay.
Threes feels how I want EASHL to be (Minus the giant hits all the time), But the speed of EASHL is just completely horrendous. And exceedingly offputting.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Ooh! Does this game still have the "the puck is at my feet but I c...I can't figure out how to put it on my stick, please feel free to take it from me, opposing player!" mode?

Kragger99 posted:

Pick it up at Xmas for 50% off (or more), or wait until next year.

Yeah, I'm gonna see if I can grab it for $30 like I did NHL 16 at Walmart on Black Friday, then wait for a promotion at GameStop and save another $5-10 because I didn't start playing the game until just before Christmas.

I'd just gotten my PS4 that year and think I got $180 worth of games (the three games I wanted; NHL, GTA V, and Madden) for $90. :getin:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
what's so bad about this "newest" version anyway?

Friendly Lurker
Apr 7, 2012

IOIOIOIOIOIOIO
I skipped NHL '17 and was looking forward to '18 this year, since I was playing '16 for years now. It's about the same as ever, but I do enjoy playing online a little bit more than with NHL '16. Nothing seems to be improved, I just invested a little more time to online play and actually enjoy it now.

The auction house isn't so bad once you have some coins to buy decent players. It could use a massive overhaul, but it's usable at least. I got a Stamkos and sold him for 150k, now I'm down to 15k and a decent roster, but I think I handled that wrong :downs:

I have a list of questions, not my original intention in this post, but it's worth asking here I guess. When I play online, I can hang in there with some of the matches, but usually I get destroyed and it feels like my kid must feel when he tells me to go hard on him. I've been browsing youtube and reddit for tips and stuff, but is there some secret or glitch I'm not aware of with the PS4 version?
- Why do I get stopped at the blue line every time by the opponents D, but i can't ever line up a check with my D? (poke check seems better this year though)
- Why can the opponent make cuts with the mediocre players and I can't even come close to their maneuvers with my 86's and 87's?
- When the game lags due to a bad connection, is it doing that for both players? Is there a way the other guy is making it lag when I am winning or on a breakaway?
- Does literally every other player out there know the goalie controls? I may as well move my goalie out of the way on a Penalty Shot.

Most of this is just rambling out loud, I'm sure I'm just not as good as I thought at this game. TLDR; NHL '18 is OK compared to NHL '16.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I skipped '17 so I'm trying out Be A Pro in '18. What I'm not having any clue how to do is play defense as a sniper center. I know what I would do for defense in real hockey, but I have no idea how to be effective in game. Instead of doing what I think I should be doing, I'll cover the person it tells me to cover, because if I don't I'll take huge exp penalties for not covering who the game wants. Sometimes I am covering that person and all of a sudden the arrow will change and there will be a goal in the same instant, so there's just really no way to win that scenario.

However, even with that said, I don't know what I'm supposed to do control-wise to actually cover someone. My skater in the CHL isn't nearly agile enough to do anything, and I skate significantly better in real life than my stupid game skater does, so basically the opposing players just wander around me, or they'll wander just out of my "area" which I get penalized if I leave.

So, my question is 1.) as a small sniper, how the hell do I effectively cover the CPU in the defensive zone? and 2.) Should I just flat out ignore what the stupid arrows are telling me and cover who I think I should cover? I'm coming solely from a "I want xp" angle here, as I can generally win the games regardless of playing effective defense, and my +/- is stupidly high. I still am curious how to actually play effective defense though because passes just seem to phase through me even if I was in position, or the skater will just inch past me so I'm out of position and my skater takes super long to get in position.

I'm fine at offense, it's just defense in this game that I have no idea what I should be doing to satisfy BAP's weird desires.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

shortspecialbus posted:

I skipped '17 so I'm trying out Be A Pro in '18. What I'm not having any clue how to do is play defense as a sniper center. I know what I would do for defense in real hockey, but I have no idea how to be effective in game. Instead of doing what I think I should be doing, I'll cover the person it tells me to cover, because if I don't I'll take huge exp penalties for not covering who the game wants. Sometimes I am covering that person and all of a sudden the arrow will change and there will be a goal in the same instant, so there's just really no way to win that scenario.

However, even with that said, I don't know what I'm supposed to do control-wise to actually cover someone. My skater in the CHL isn't nearly agile enough to do anything, and I skate significantly better in real life than my stupid game skater does, so basically the opposing players just wander around me, or they'll wander just out of my "area" which I get penalized if I leave.

So, my question is 1.) as a small sniper, how the hell do I effectively cover the CPU in the defensive zone? and 2.) Should I just flat out ignore what the stupid arrows are telling me and cover who I think I should cover? I'm coming solely from a "I want xp" angle here, as I can generally win the games regardless of playing effective defense, and my +/- is stupidly high. I still am curious how to actually play effective defense though because passes just seem to phase through me even if I was in position, or the skater will just inch past me so I'm out of position and my skater takes super long to get in position.

I'm fine at offense, it's just defense in this game that I have no idea what I should be doing to satisfy BAP's weird desires.

Yeah, I was struggling with this as well. As a winger, I'm provided a zone I'm supposed to cover. If I do the crouch block (L1 I think?) in that zone, and block a passing lane, I'll get exp, so I often do that. I then have to rely on my teams AI to prevent a goal, which it seldom does.
If you're covering the slot, you can press the X button to tie up the player, but I'm not really used to that yet, and it seems as soon as they get free they often are open to score a goal.

Most of my games have me doing the crouch block in front of the point man, to get exp, but I'm not sure if that's the same for a center position. Try the tie up function and see if that's effective.

Wait until you lose exp for not changing off in time, and/or also losing exp when changing off in a bad spot. That one really pisses me off. The coach (game) is telling me to change, then penalizes me for it (yes, I know I shouldn't change when were in a bad spot - ex. the other team has possession in my zone, or is on the rush), but more often than not, it's a "bad spot".

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Kragger99 posted:

Yeah, I was struggling with this as well. As a winger, I'm provided a zone I'm supposed to cover. If I do the crouch block (L1 I think?) in that zone, and block a passing lane, I'll get exp, so I often do that. I then have to rely on my teams AI to prevent a goal, which it seldom does.
If you're covering the slot, you can press the X button to tie up the player, but I'm not really used to that yet, and it seems as soon as they get free they often are open to score a goal.

Most of my games have me doing the crouch block in front of the point man, to get exp, but I'm not sure if that's the same for a center position. Try the tie up function and see if that's effective.

Wait until you lose exp for not changing off in time, and/or also losing exp when changing off in a bad spot. That one really pisses me off. The coach (game) is telling me to change, then penalizes me for it (yes, I know I shouldn't change when were in a bad spot - ex. the other team has possession in my zone, or is on the rush), but more often than not, it's a "bad spot".

I hold my changes until I'd change in real life, and I rarely get penalized. You won't get penalized for staying out a really long time if you're in the defensive zone. You will get penalized if you stay too long in the offensive zone, which I've done a couple times because it situationally made sense for me to stay out there, but by and large I do OK with the line changes by just doing what I'd normally do. I do change early sometimes because it would make sense to and my dude was winded but I'm trying to stop doing that because coach throws me back out on the ice 5 seconds later. They need to be a bit more aggressive with line changes in general. The average shift time shouldn't be >1 minute.

Defensively it's a bit harder for the center since I need to constantly switch which side of the ice I'm responsible for based on where the puck is. In real life, I'd just pick a dude to cover and stay with them (or just cover a sensible spot) until it made sense to change, and my defense would react accordingly, whether I'm now on their dude and they cover mine, or whatever. In this you don't really have that luxury - if you're not on the person the game wants, regardless of if a D is moving to cover them, you get penalized. It's dumb. I have found that if I just kind of hang out in the middle and hold R1 and sweep my stick around a bit it seems to work OK and I get some points for doing that.

Edit: I also took a penalty once for being tied up with someone in front of my own net, it wasn't from using X and doing the stick tie thing, it was basically the reverse of what happens in the offensive zone that you break out of with L2, but this guy couldn't break away from me and I couldn't stop tying him up, so ended up with an interference penalty that I was pretty irked about. Also it's dumb for me to be penalized for "bad line defense" when my teammates aren't covering anyone and I am for once and they score a goal >:( But now I'm just getting ranty. I'm mostly enjoying this, I just wish there was a better way to level up skating rather than devoting 100% of off-ice training to it. 78 just isn't going to cut it in the NHL, and it's hard to get balance up too. Agility you can at least do spin moves, but aside from beating out icings, which is really tough, there seems to be no way to level up acceleration or speed or balance (maybe bouncing off checks?)

ssb fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Sep 27, 2017

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo. So I finally got around to trying Versus with this and you can only rank up 1v1 now. Fuckin' lol. For years I've been playing this with my brothers when they're around during vacation and poo poo and we always had a blast climbing the ladder in it. But I can't even do that any more because now it's 1v1 or you can't even play.

It's not like playing 2 or 3v1 was even an advantage either because the AI defends better than a player ever could and if you know how to abuse that (like switching off while forechecking so the comp initiates pins, etc) then one good player always had an advantage against even a good 2 or 3 stack.

EA is the worst man.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Ginette Reno posted:

Holy poo poo. So I finally got around to trying Versus with this and you can only rank up 1v1 now. Fuckin' lol. For years I've been playing this with my brothers when they're around during vacation and poo poo and we always had a blast climbing the ladder in it. But I can't even do that any more because now it's 1v1 or you can't even play.

That sucks a lot. Sorry to hear that :(

Ginette Reno posted:

It's not like playing 2 or 3v1 was even an advantage either because the AI defends better than a player ever could and if you know how to abuse that (like switching off while forechecking so the comp initiates pins, etc) then one good player always had an advantage against even a good 2 or 3 stack.

AI may be better at defense, but even when I played with my friend who barely played video game hockey but played hockey on the real-life same team as me, we'd rack up goals like no other because our offensive positioning was just 10x better than the AI on offense. I would say so much so that it doesn't even offset the potentially better defensive AI. I'd also say it's less "better AI" and more "better at stupid nuanced positioning that's hard to do with clumsy controls" and "better at vacuuming people in to be pinned at boards" both of which only get you so far against offensive players with competent positioning.

Still dumb though.

Ginette Reno posted:

EA is the worst man.

:agreed:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

shortspecialbus posted:

AI may be better at defense, but even when I played with my friend who barely played video game hockey but played hockey on the real-life same team as me, we'd rack up goals like no other because our offensive positioning was just 10x better than the AI on offense. I would say so much so that it doesn't even offset the potentially better defensive AI. I'd also say it's less "better AI" and more "better at stupid nuanced positioning that's hard to do with clumsy controls" and "better at vacuuming people in to be pinned at boards" both of which only get you so far against offensive players with competent positioning.

Still dumb though.

:agreed:

Oh we'd win a ton of games too for the same reasons, but the minute we came up against a single guy who knew how to exploit things like what the cheap goals are and how to use the comp on d the games would be much tighter if not in that player's favor even.

I don't know why they made this change but if they thought multi teams were a problem they should have just made a separate ladder that was 2v2 3v3 etc.

Oh well, still ESHL I guess. Versus was like half the reason I bought these games though so I'm not even sure if I'm gonna get the next one now.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Is this going on sale anywhere noteworthy for Black Friday? I need to GM an NHL team to glory again and then maybe create the 32nd franchise because that sounds strangely fun.

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009
it's $30 on the PS store right now if you have PS plus and will probably be the same at amazon etc this week

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Jack_tripper posted:

it's $30 on the PS store right now if you have PS plus and will probably be the same at amazon etc this week

Oh nice. I literally just re-upped with PS+ because my subscription expired earlier this month and I knew there'd be deals around Black Friday (one year subs are $39.99 right now on Amazon :eng101:). I have a Best Buy gift card to use but may break down and save that for something else.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Don't buy this game.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

aunt jemima posted:

Don't buy this game.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

He tried to pitch me this game, don't believe his lies.

aunt jemima posted:

Don't buy this game.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

aunt jemima posted:

Don't buy this game.

Hockles posted:

aunt jemima posted:

Don't buy this game.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I haven't played it at all really since getting it. My interest is a bit sapped with the Versus poo poo I went over above. Maybe I'll play some ESHL here and there if I get bored.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
How the heck do you hip check in this game, why did they have to change it up.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
They probably took it out. I remember trying to do it the other night and nyoooope.

Also they somehow broke most/all of their same old animations and made the puck physics waaaaay the gently caress weirder. Glad I didn't pay for this poo poo it's noticeably worse than last year

BrokenCycle
Nov 15, 2004

A Rough Job, But...
I think I made the mistake of buying this game too. I can't help it.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

BrokenCycle posted:

I think I made the mistake of buying this game too. I can't help it.

I did try to warn you.

BrokenCycle
Nov 15, 2004

A Rough Job, But...
Well I'm going to troll all you guys right now, but I have to say that I actually like this game...

I've played around 35 Online Vs. games so far. Passing feels much more improved. It's much faster, and more accurate. Passing from D to D is really responsive, and cycling the puck is rewarding. There's way less offsides, too. I don't know if it's an animation thing, but they really try hard to keep it in. I thought that the game would be annoying with all the kids online trying to show off their deke moves, but I haven't encountered that so far. The defensive skill stick is also something unnecessary to learn, but does add a lot of depth to the game when you actually see what you could do with it. The defensive AI defending the rush, from what I have seen so far-- ask me again in a few weeks, doesn't go full retard and skate into the middle of the ice anymore for no reason. Love the new ranking system. I love that if you win you get roughly the game amount of points for beating anyone online. It falls more in line with hockey being an unpredictable sport where the best team doesn't always win.

There are a number of complaints I have with the game. Puck possession feels nice, but the off the puck stuff feels a little too whacky and unpredictable. The puck chop is now worthless. There's a lot of really lame goals going in currently, but that's the case with every NHL game, and they just fix them with tuners eventually. The soundtrack is complete poo poo again and doesn't fit hockey at all. The presentation has improved a lot since last game, but the cracks are really starting to show and it's time for an overhaul.

I'll just wait until Black Friday to buy this game every year now.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

BrokenCycle posted:

I'll just wait until Black Friday to buy this game every year now.

same rip my stupid rear end

welp I guess if anyone has PS4 and wants to play some EASHL drop in and maybe potentially at some point start a team, I'm IceFortJohnnyAce

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

i'm drugs-dot-jpg on ps4

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Teemu Pokemon posted:

same rip my stupid rear end

I'm IceFortJohnnyAce

We're never online at the same time :(

And that's totally my/work's fault. And probably that time zone thing

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
Changing the puck chop was pretty drat bizarre this year

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Same with hip check. They needlessly added a second awkward button press for no reason

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I set up the 31st AHL team in the Franchise customization mode (hope the Blues prospects like Dayton, OH, because the Bombers are back :getin:), but it doesn't show up sometimes when I go to start a new Franchise (I did a dummy one just to play around with the features before I went on vacation) even though the game seems to know the team is there in some capacity. Is there a trick to it not reverting to the St Louis Notes?

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009
$23 in the PSN sale

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

aunt jemima posted:

Don't buy this game.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

aunt jemima posted:

don't buy this game