Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Hello and welcome to the extremely accurate and definitive simulation of One (1) season of NBA basketball as played by the teams from this year's Be Your Own GM thread.

Here's a spreedsheet containing a list of each team's roster.
Here are the voting results for the game.
code:
BYOGM Playoff Seeding Poll Results

East
1. Bulls
2. Wizards
3. Pistons
4. Raptors
5. Magic
6. Cavaliers
7. Heat
8. Hornets

West
1. Rockets
2. Clippers
3. Pelicans
4. Spurs 
5. Kings
6. Jazz
7. Blazers
8. Twolves
About the Simulation

The games will be simulated in NBA 2k13, as it is the most actively modded 2k game. I'm using NBA 2k13's URB mod because the roster is updated frequently and the player ratings are achieved using advanced stats. If you enjoy near-obsessive amounts of attention to detail in your simulations and want to simulate the 1989 NBA season using accurate jerseys, shoes, and courts, I suggest checking it out. Anyways I will be the puppetmaster in that I'm pressing "Simulate" each time but I'm going to be totally hands off otherwise, don't shoot the messenger if your glorious group of boys fail to win a game.

Because of the limitations of the mod, we're going to be simulating the 2016 NBA schedule. Sorry, but that's what the mod defaults to and players would retire before the beginning of the 2017 season, making some rosters impossible (Dirk and Jared Dudley announced their retirements on the first day of the season, so they won't be available next season.) I turned off injuries because it'd be really uninteresting for someone's season to get derailed by a digital injury and it would probably cause them to not care about the simulation. (EDIT: Injuries will now be turned on due to thread demand.)

I will be doing one week of games at a time and will post them once every other day unless something comes up and I miss a day. They'll all follow the format of the next post, unless there's a huge demand for an additional section or feature. Keep in mind that this is a ton of work already and I'm not going to be able to post every team's stats every week, but I'll try to accommodate you if you ask how a certain player or lineup is doing.

Each post will contain:
- That week's scores, separated by day
- Players of the Week (decided by the game)
- Rookie watch (the game decides what 5 rookies are playing the best and has a list of their stats)
- Standings
- Power rankings (decided by the game)
- Injury report
- All-star voting (once the results start coming in, takes a while)

Rosters and Changes

Lineups - I referred to the spreadsheet and/or your team pimping posts to set the starting lineups/sixth man situation, but those aren't set in stone. If your team is struggling or you just want to switch things up, let me know your changes and I'll do them

Trades - As per voting in the BYOGM thread, trades will not be allowed.

Free Agents - There are players in the FA pool that never went up for draft, but I'm not gonna post them and nobody's going to be allowed to sign them. Tough luck.

Coaches - The game has coaches and coach grades, but there aren't enough replacement/fake coaches to replace every coach with a neutral/bad one, plus they all vary wildly in attributes as well. What I did was assign a middling fake coach to teams that have noticeably above average coaches (Spurs, Celtics, Mavericks, etc.) There's really no other way I can even the playing field, so it'll have to do.

Endgame

Once the regular season ends, we'll do a prediction poll for MVP, Rookie of the Year, Sixth Man of the Year etc and then match them up to the game's awards because polls are fun to do. The winner of the championship will get a nice avatar designed by me so you can show off to all of your friends

Index

Week 1
Week 2
Week 3
Week 4
Week 5
Week 6
Week 7
Week 8
Week 9
Week 10

Cool Buff Man fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

OPENING WEEK of the NBA SEASON! It's a short week, only five days of games. Get ready to have so much fun

Day One

Knicks 97 - Cavs 87
Jazz 111 - Blazers 101
Spurs 107 - Warriors 104

Day Two

Mavs 89 - Pacers 93
Heat 105 - Magic 121
Nets 97 - Celtics 130
Pistons 92 - Raptors 88
Timberwolves 85 - Grizzlies 114
Hornets 120 - Bucks 106
Nuggets 107 - Pelicans 95
Thunder 83 - Sixers 113
Kings 96 - Suns 111
Rockets 95 - Lakers 116

Day Three

Wizards 114 - Hawks 87
Celtics 118 - Bulls 100
Clippers 93 - Blazers 89
Spurs 94 - Kings 103

Day Four

Cavs 69 - Raptors 105
Pacers 95 - Nets 111
Magic 111 - Pistons 120
Hornets 89 - Heat 102
Suns 107 - Thunder 118
Rockets 110 - Mavs 88
Lakers 117 - Jazz 101
Warriors 118 - Pelicans 120

Day Five

Hawks 89 - Sixers 97
Celtics 114 - Hornets 106
Magic 113 - Cavs 99
Grizzlies 133 - Knicks 98
Pacers 85 - Bulls 109
Nets 95 - Bucks 115
Pelicans 98 - Spurs 118
Blazers 106 - Nuggets 84
Timberwolves 102 - Kings 118

I think that's it! Surely my Celtics are unbeatable and they will win every single game. Clear Lakers and Celtics bias. Also, the game apparently does not think very much about the whole "surround Lebron with scrubs" strategy, but maybe that will change. Let me know if I missed anything huge and good luck to your team!

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
I'll have the next week up tomorrow, i've already got the games simulated. This is going to be a weird season yall

I'm also very happy that 30 year old alcoholic reefer smoker Milos Teodosic is being counted as a rookie

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Lockback posted:

Aww, injuries rule. Reward basketball robots

If that's a common sentiment I can turn them on, didn't know whether people would want their seasons to end with a virtual appendectomy

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
I'm all for turning on injuries for maximum chaos, honestly

They'll be on for the rest of the season and I'll add an injuries section to each post

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Paul Zuvella posted:

The problem with injuries is that we would be reliant on the AI to reset lineups, unless we want to make Cool Buff Man manually fix them.

I'll fix them, it's no big deal

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Paul Zuvella posted:

You are a saint!!!!

:) It's not a huge deal compared to what it took to set the lineups and do the draft in the first place

DeimosRising posted:

True of a ton of guys, especially older ones. There are 10 year vets who have NEVER played 80 games and that's very reflected in their stats and reputations

I'll resim week 2 onwards with injuries, but I'm not redoing week 1 cuz I already took all the screenshots. Injury prone teams consider yourself lucky that you didn't die in the first week (myself included)

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

R.D. Mangles posted:

whoever is running the bulls has greatly disappointed by not signing kirk hinrich, nate robinson, and andres nocioni

you should really look at the first day of bidding and witness what Drunk Canuck managed to pull off. it's something that i think you'd appreciate

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

euphronius posted:

If your sim thinks Simmons is good I like my chances

19.5 pts / 8 rb / 7.5 assists over the first two games, nice debut

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Mountain Dew Code Bread posted:

How does a team with Lebron James manage to only score 69 points in a game?

Bad things happen to that team when Lebron has a bad game

euphronius posted:

Cbm could I see a box score for one of the sixers games tyia

Sure, i'll edit it into this space once I take a screenshot

Tony Parker with a very weird game

Cool Buff Man fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jul 28, 2017

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

euphronius posted:

Fire the coach
Not nearly enough 3s
Parker should not be starting
Gordon is the "point guard "

He's not starting, it's sorted by points by default, no worries. Gordon's your pg but your coach really likes putting Parker in

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Can I get a Spurs box score too plz CBM
I'm curious to see how the Russ Experience is treating his teammates

Yeah but they're really annoying to screenshot cuz i have to keep scrolling so future ones are gonna be the top 5 or 10 scorers on requested box scores

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

euphronius posted:

Would it be possible to have a basketball reference type database for this simulated season

Probably not

It'd be fun to look at but I'm not gonna do that man sorry

Punkin here's your boxscore, either Tristan Thompson got in foul trouble or your coach really hates him and keeps subbing him out

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

euphronius posted:

I was just wondering if the app or program did that natively

lol I would t expect you to type in box scores to a spreadsheet or whatever
Thanks again man this owns

Hah yeah I'd have to hand enter it. Nothing about 2k13 is functional, you can't even buy it on Steam anymore, forget any sort of online functionality or anything. Not even sure if 2k17 has anything like that

No problem, this is fun

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

EvanTH posted:

Can I see the Celtics putting up 130 on my Nets box

Yea I'm starting to follow the top 5 scorers format now though because I'm gonna get swamped I think, hold on

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Jaramaz putting in MINUTES. Your coach does not trust your bench it seems Evan

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

DC Murderverse posted:

can i see one or both of my box scores from my two wins by a combined 64 points

I'll check in the other thread but in the future if people would put the name of their team in request posts I'd love you :)

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

DC Murderverse posted:

Ah, sorry. My team is the Undefeated Memphis Grizzles.

Mirotic is a beast when he's off the Bulls

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Also I didn't have Korkmaz in your starting lineup Evan, I double checked it and fixed it all up for your next week of games. This is quite an endeavor so I may have to fix things here and there. Murray was correctly pencilled in so I have no idea why Jaramaz got so much run in that game. Weird things are already happening and I love it

Maybe he had the look

Cool Buff Man fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jul 28, 2017

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
I will say, Evan, that Dwane Bacon has a higher rating than Korkmaz. Significantly so, so you might consider him staying as your starting SF. Let me know

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

WEEK TWO of the NBA SEASON! Our first full week. Some of the expected top teams are starting to make their marches towards glory

Normally I'm going to post these every other day, but I had this one ready to go a bit earlier than usual.

Day Six

Bucks 93 - Pistons 95
Jazz 84 - Clippers 86
Wizards 109 - Grizzlies 95
Spurs 93 - Heat 122
Lakers 101 - Thunder 108
Mavericks 92 - Rockets 102
Warriors 111 - Phoenix 112

Day Seven

Bulls 83 - Nets 71
Suns 100 - Clippers 93
Kings 111 - Hawks 104
Nuggets 113 - Raptors 101

Day Eight

Rockets 99 - Cavaliers 94
Lakers 83 - Pacers 101
Magic 101 - Sixers 94
Knicks 74 - Pistons 89
Kings 96 - Heat 106
Grizzlies 105 - Timberwolves 121
Bucks 76 - Pelicans 114
Jazz 105 - Spurs 92
Warriors 93 - Blazers 106

Day Nine

Sixers 83 - Hornets 98
Raptors 126 - Wizards 119
Lakers 98 - Hawks 91
Pistons 98 - Nets 109
Rockets 102 - Knicks 87
Bulls 103 - Celtics 120
Pelicans 102 - Grizzlies 101
Mavericks 92 - Jazz 111
Trail Blazers 93 - Suns 92
Thunder 101 - Clippers 92

Day Ten

Kings 103 - Magic 105
Celtics 109 - Cavaliers 123
Pacers 110 - Bucks 111
Nuggets 81 - Timberwolves 96
Thunder 106 - Warriors 87

Day Eleven

Hawks 68 - Wizards 92
Hornets 101 - Nets 81
Heat 102 - Raptors 73
Knicks 99 - Bulls 117
Clippers 99 - Grizzlies 108
Suns 123 - Pelicans 114
Trail Blazers 113 - Mavericks 100
Spurs 121 - Jazz 111
Warriors 77 - Lakers 119

Day Twelve

Timberwolves 115 - Thunder 85
Nuggets 111 - Pistons 113
Bulls 92 - Pacers 104
Wizards 108 - Magic 103
Cavaliers 102 - Sixers 111
Rockets 124 - Hawks 107
Kings 94 - Bucks 104
Clippers 92 - Spurs 94

Demar Derozan has suffered a broken wrist, and is expected to miss 4-6 weeks
Andre Drummond has suffered a sprained foot, and is expected to miss 2-4 weeks

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

IcePhoenix posted:

Good Sim

Can I just see the Wolves team page of player stats? Don't need a specific game.

Yeah it's gonna have to be a bit later though cuz I'm not gonna be on my computer for a few hours, but I got you

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Michael Corleone posted:

Well on our way to winning the lottery while Lebron is still on the team, really gonna help the rebuild.

Can I also get a team stat page for the Cavs, I want to see what is going on with the minutes because Norris Cole played like 30 mins in the first game you posted.

I actually had to manually fix that last night by setting Norris Cole to an explicit benched/reserve role because your coach was freaking out about Lebron being slotted at PG and constantly moving him to SF to sub in who he thought was the best point guard, Norris Cole

Norris will not be bothering you much anymore

I'll post the team stats when I get home

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
I'll be home around dinnertime EST and will get around to the requests then

euphronius posted:

Thanks man this owns

Np :)

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Ohh man I just discovered that there's a "rumors" section in this mode and it has all sorts of HoopsHype style rumors about who's upset and wants to get traded, complete with fake trade offers (even though trading is disabled)

Gonna start posting some of those in between normal updates, also got home a little early so I can get some roster stats out soon

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
As usual, default sorted by points

Cavs

Kings
(Felicio wasn't getting enough minutes, I fixed it)

Raptors

Wolves

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Doltos posted:

Oh CBM I meant like their actual stats like their overalls and stuff

Ok I'll get that for you a bit later on

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Doltos posted:

Oh CBM I meant like their actual stats like their overalls and stuff

You get everything for your top 5 performers because it's incredibly annoying to screenshot all of the totals in this game, I'm not gonna do that again hahah. People get per game from now on for my own sanity (I'm gonna be doing this like 50 times and probably getting requests every time.) At the end of the season I'll post everyone's stats as a one off, though. I'll enter the final numbers into a spreadsheet.

They made the ui so drat big. Sorry it's a bit dark, dunno what happened there

DeimosRising posted:

Gimme the goods on the Magic too whenever you get a chance

I regret to inform you that Gobert, despite playing 35 minutes a game and getting a billion rebounds, is averaging under 4 points a game.

straight up brolic posted:

Jazz stats please

Cool Buff Man fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jul 28, 2017

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
And now for my favorite feature that I didn't know about, the rumor mill, which is especially amusing considering trades are disabled

loving proves all of accusations of racism against the Jazz, in my opinion. Do you have anything to say for yourself, Brolic?

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
I'll do one more round of stat posting after dinner and then I have to sim stuff so any other ones have to wait until the next week is done!

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Doltos posted:

No CBM I meant their actual stats! 3pt shot, dunk, speed, strength, overall!!

Those are ratings, not stats you goober

i'll get them after dinner

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Metapod posted:

Cbm I just want you to tell my team I love them

I tell them every night.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

IcePhoenix posted:

It's five or six games, a lot of numbers will start evening out.

Yeah, plus it's more about the 2k sim engine than anything. If you have ever actually simmed out / played out a full season in a 2k game, these stats are amazingly realistic so far compared to what you usually get. Still weird stuff happening but on the whole a lot of it is plausible. I think the "advanced stats" based ratings are definitely an improvement, but obviously not perfect

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Is Mason Plumlee extremely bad in this game? Should I not play him?

Hes rated in the low 70s in this, which is about average, so he's probably just having bad games. I'll check on his minutes and make sure he's not getting too few

tadashi posted:

Does anyone who attempts a 3 pointer always show up in the 3pt% leaderboard or will there eventually be a threshold for attempts they will have to cross? I haven't touched 2k since the 2nd Be A GM thread.

There's a threshold after a while

Cool Buff Man fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jul 28, 2017

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Tbh Dirk still seems extremely good so you can just split Plumlees minutes between him and Adams

You got it.

-

Hornets

I'm simming the next week within the next hour or so, so I'll get to stat/box score requests next time I update

Cool Buff Man fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Aug 1, 2017

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

euphronius posted:

Embiid way too low

83??

Yeah I think I'm gonna not reveal player ratings anymore cuz it'll just lead to stuff like this and I don't really want people optimizing their lineups around what an overall rating says. Also overall rating isn't that useful, it's ab out what they're good at, you can get a high overall by pumping speed and athleticism but still have poo poo scoring attributes and the player will be junk

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Brogeoisie posted:

would love Wizards stats when you get a chance as well, also Delly... nooo

Ok I'll get you as the last one before the next sim

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

euphronius posted:

Embiids score should be Lebron-1 by definition.

Hell, agreed

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Wizards

e: Also I fixed some of your bench minutes to more accurately reflect your pimping post, got Thornwell, Muscala in there next week etc. Delly's really underperforming right now

Ok I'm simming momentarily so I'll get to any stat/box score requests after the next update (should have one tomorrow)

Cool Buff Man fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jul 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Brogeoisie posted:

I'm in, can't wait to see Thornwell post some 0/0/0 games

He just ruptured his achilles lmao. Sorry

• Locked thread