Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Sometimes a character actor is cast against type, and with the right director and script you get an awesome, unique, weird performance.

Just one I can think of off the top of my head is Adam Sandler in "Punch-Drunk Love"

Sure he yells a bit but overall this performance had melancholy not seen in his previous work ( which is funny as hell imho)

John C. Reilly is another, but maybe he just doesn't really have a "type"... has he ever played a scumbag? Now im just thinking about Paul Thomas Anderson movies..

ANyway, what are some of your favorite "cast against type" performances from the annals of cinema?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

all the jimmy stewart/anthony mann westerns (and vertigo) and tony scott/denzel actioners, clint in bridges of madison county, tom cruise in collateral

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Tony Curtis was really as the Boston Strangler

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqTfBysL0wE&t=158s

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Radio Spiricom posted:

tom cruise in collateral
Hell yes

Not sure I follow tho re: Denzel/Tony Scott joints... Washington isn't really a "character" actor

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is probably overrated but real good in my book. Punch Drunk Love is good too IMO. Also Owen Wilson in Behind Enemy Lines is surprisingly good but it's still an action film

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Robin Williams in "One Hour Photo"

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Actually tom cruise in anything where he isn't the hero is usually excellent. Collateral, tropic thunder, etc

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Bruce Willis in 12 Monkeys.

The director went out of his way to make Bruce Willis pretend he was another person than Bruce Willis, even though Bruce Willis is actually Bruce Willis in real life, something Bruce Willis had a hard time internalizing. It was worth the effort though. They gave us a wonderful movie where Bruce Willis acts.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Hell yeah. Time to watch that movie again. Was the TV series any good?

Speaking of series based on a feature:
Brad Garrett in "Fargo" S2

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's pretty much a generic sci fi channel show

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
The first season of 12 Monkeys was fine. The second season was as stupid as the final season of LOST, and that's where I fell off.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I'm looking forward to Daniel Craig in Logan lucky

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Brad Pitt was truly great as a male bimbo in burn after reading

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Joseph Cotten usually played nice, likable characters, but I think his best film role was as Uncle Charlie in Shadow of a Doubt.

Also, James Mason in Bigger Than Life. He always played characters with an intellectual touch, which makes it more terrifying as he slowly loses his mind.

general anime
Jan 8, 2013

by Lowtax

Chill Penguin posted:

beat me to it

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Jenny Agutter posted:

Brad Pitt was truly great as a male bimbo in burn after reading

Very true.

Another one I remembered today is Molly Shannon in "Other People" (2016)
She should've been nominated for an Oscar, but the flick was just a little too indie. Really moving performance tho, highly recommend the film

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Henry Fonda in Once Upon a Time in the West.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Albert Brooks is great in Drive

Ecstatic Elastic
Oct 30, 2008

She's just spun
John Krasinski in 13 Hours, and his twin brother, Mark Duplass, in Creep. But maybe it just seems 'off type' from playing the same character on long running sitcoms :shrug:

Expired Vitamin
Jul 3, 2017

Maybe this counts in reverse, but I always think of Fred McMurray. I knew him from My Three Sons reruns and The Shaggy Dog as a kid so it kinda blew me away to see his acting chops in The Caine Mutiny and Double Indemnity.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Robin Williams in Insomnia

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

bitterandtwisted posted:

Robin Williams in Insomnia

I've never seen it. How different is it from, say, One Hour Photo, or even Toys?

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Chill Penguin posted:

I've never seen it. How different is it from, say, One Hour Photo, or even Toys?

He's a murderer and there's nothing cheeky or zany or sympathetic about his character. He's a creepy rear end in a top hat.

e: I've not seen One Hour Photo

bitterandtwisted fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Sep 1, 2017

general anime
Jan 8, 2013

by Lowtax
john
goodman in 10 clover lane

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
John Goodman in The Big Lebowski.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
Rodney Dangerfield playing the nasty father in Natural Born Killers was a sharp turn. I still shudder when I think about his lines in the black and white sequences.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Chill Penguin posted:

Came here to post this.

Also one of my favorite parts of Django Unchained was getting to see Leonardo DiCaprio play an unabashedly evil character

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Came here to post this.

Also one of my favorite parts of Django Unchained was getting to see Leonardo DiCaprio play an unabashedly evil character

They're sAying he might play The Joker in Scorsese's origin flick 👀

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Chill Penguin posted:

John C. Reilly is another, but maybe he just doesn't really have a "type"... has he ever played a scumbag
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbTmGuOIbc4

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Chill Penguin posted:

John C. Reilly is another, but maybe he just doesn't really have a "type"... has he ever played a scumbag? Now im just thinking about Paul Thomas Anderson movies..

He plays a corrupt Irish cop in Gangs of New York

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Pablo Gigante posted:

He plays a corrupt Irish cop in Gangs of New York

I'll have to finally watch that. Still never seen it :wookie:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Artsygrrl posted:

Rodney Dangerfield playing the nasty father in Natural Born Killers was a sharp turn. I still shudder when I think about his lines in the black and white sequences.

Yeah lol. That was some dark poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Can't wait to see Jackie Chan play a ruthless old Death Wish-type in "The Foreigner"

• Locked thread