Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Do we really need to explain this? Well yes, because it's worth it. Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time was the beginning of something new. Taking one of biggest adventure games of all time and putting it into three dimensional space. No matter whether you think it's good, over rated, or just meh, you cannot deny what this game did for gamers of the generation as well as the video game industry. It was many people's very first Legend of Zelda, and possibly still the most popular in the 3D Zelda set.

Released in late 1998 on the Nintendo 64, it gained near perfect scores across the board and has been re-released a number of times. It is also possibly the most debated game in the industry(?) mostly on whether it is actually a good game or not. While it might not be the best 3D Zelda in my opinion, it is my favourite. Is that weird? Oh well.

Also. Almost everyone's played this game right?

The Let's Play

No. There's quite a few who have not. One person who fits this category is my friend, Mel. She will actually be guiding me on this adventure. After we reach a certain point in the game and we are able to go wherever we want, she will tell me where she wants us to go. Will we do things in the completely wrong order, or go where the game wants us? I don't know. She doesn't either. But when we get there I have to try to do something to progress. Unless it's 100% impossible to do so.

Aside from that, this is also a 3 heart run. There will be no increasing our hearts. We will stick with three and not pick up any heart pieces or heart containers. Aside from that, we are free to do what we want. Specifically potions, fairies, and magic are allowed to help.

We will be aiming for an update each week. But we are two people with two different schedules so that might get difficult. Also, we aren't emulating this so we don't need to worry about Project 64 problems.

Please put all spoilers in spoiler tags as Mel hasn't played and we should keep her in the dark about upcoming things.

And if you're interested in other things I'm doing, I'm doing an LP of every Mario Party.

Warmal fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Oct 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

The actual Blind Guide portion will begin after Episode 3 when the game opens up to us a bit more.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

You may wanna update your post in the New LP thread to include a link to this thread! This seems like a fun idea though, so let's see how well your adventure goes with a blind Navi.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Thanks! I thought I had added the link but I guess I didn't save it last night.

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug
Huh, I don't have time to watch the videos right now (at work), but this looks very interesting. I will definitely keep an eye on it. Good luck!

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Godspeed! I've never seen anything like this.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

After the BotW letsplays it kinda feels like coming home when rupees just are hidden in the grass again, where they belong.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Having just played a whole lot of BoTW, i can say there was a sense of "home" when i started running around Kokiri Forest.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

And now we must venture into our Tree Guardian in order to break the curse put upon him.

If it seems like the video is really dark, thats because it rather is. Its the recording itself from the N64 rather than something I"ve done in editing. I've actually tried a lot of things to fix this and only really have one more idea before it becomes, "that's just how it is."

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Have you tried upping the gamma of your video? That's what I usually do when I have incredibly dark footage. Also, what's your recording set up? Do you use Composite Video?

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

When I up the Gamma in post or in the capture software, it just increases the brightness over the whole video and makes it look washed out, which is basically the same as upping the brightness. Granted, I'm still new at video editing so maybe I still don't know what I'm doing with that. As for my recording set up. I'm running the N64 through an hdmi converter/upscaler, which then runs into my capture card which then goes to my computer. It's the same set up I've been using for Mario Party and Pokemon Snap and those seem to come out just fine. I haven't noticed any problems until now with this game. And I've gone back to the other games to see how they look and they're still fine.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Mario Party and Pokemon Snap tend to be considerably brighter than OoT overall, I think. It might be that your upscaler isn't great at handling dark colors? Is it composite to HDMI?

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

It is which is what I've been thinking as well. I've noticed in Ocarina of Time's settings that there is a check brightness bar, which isn't a slider or anything but I can at least try going in there and playing around with the settings to try and get the recording itself to a better spot. I'd rather not switch to emulation because I saw the problems that can have in your LP with Fae.

Also maybe switching the upscaler to 720p rather than 1080p might do something. Probably not but I can keep testing some ideas out.

Warmal fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Aug 4, 2017

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

If you must switch to emulation, I highly recommend emulating it in Dolphin instead of Project 64 or Mupen 64 because actual N64 emulators are abysmal but Dolphin emulating an N64 is pretty solid for the most part. I'd also try an S-Video cable if you're currently using Composite and your upscaler supports it because you'll get a much nicer image.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

It sadly does not support S-Video. And my capture card only has HDMI and Component Adapter spots. I think I'll see how it goes for now. If I start feeling like its to dark to even enjoy I can very easily replay whatever's been done and get to where we were. I'll see how the next recording session looks and make a decision.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

"And we are not collecting all of them."

Unsubscribed.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I think you would have needed to be subscribed for that first. Well. After playing around, it looks like my option is to run to Collector's Edition version in Dolphin. It has a graphical error when in the pause menu, but at least the game is fully visible. Or maybe not cause it keeps crashing. Oh well. It'll be the fun thing about this LP.

Warmal fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Aug 5, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
On second though that may have been a little mean. I'm enjoying the LP so far. It's a good contrast to Faerie Fortune's totally blind LP from a while back.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Aug 5, 2017

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, seconded. I dig this rather unique idea where the player knows the game well but the guide is new to it. It seems to work well.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

So we fixed the brightness issue. I'm glad people are liking this idea. I did take a little control when we reached a certain part to save a little bit of money and time later. But other than that we've been directed by Mel pretty good. I wasn't aware of what the game actually did and didn't let you do in the first bit as kid link.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Time for us to finish off the introduction. We make it to the princess, and grab a bag of seeds along the way. Also, we meet an owl, which Mel is very happy about.

This is the final episode with the darkness issue, and next time we will be open to explore and Mel will take most of the reins.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
This is going to be beautiful. :allears:

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

We will certainly see. I've got one more recording session to post up, and I recently figured out a really good way to give Mel options without saying what is where. So after the next five or so episodes we'll really get into maybe just getting eff'd over entirely. Or maybe not? It's all up to her.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

And now we let Mel tell us where to go and we start with checking up on a girl we met up with in town. I totally missed a gold skulltula because I didn't hear the little jingle that I had found something. Oh well. We'll either be back or I won't need it.

I hope the video quality is much better for everyone now, and I hope the sounds is a lot better too. A lot of new things this time around.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

We continue making our way through Hyrule. I take us on a little detour as we start heading up the mountain. This is the only time I'll be taking a detour as I've come up with a great way to give Mel options on where to go.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

We make our way up the mountain, only to find that we don't quite have what we need to help the rock people. So let's head into the forest, where Mel will guide us through the lost woods. I'm sure she is able to handle it with ease.

Also, to accommodate a future schedule change, I'm going to updating this LP on Thursdays instead of Fridays.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Please tell Mel how easy it is to cheat at the Lost Woods even without sound. You can see which doorways are "real" because the fake ones have a short of whitish background while the real ones are pure black. Also the real ones show what's behind before you actually walk through them, but the white/black thing is incredibly obvious once you know about it.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I will let her know that. I actually completely forgot that was another way to tell. But I think it was a whole lot more fun letting her just blindly guess. She was doing so well for a while there.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, the fake paths are all just static textures pasted over a loading zone, so it's fairly obvious which is the correct path. I remember figuring that out as a stupid middle schooler back when the game first came out, so I'm actually kind of surprised you guys didn't notice it while you were playing.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Well, I know the path so I don't really think about the clues for the correct path. And I guess Mel just didn't notice? She's was pretty occupied.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I love this LP. :allears:

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

We're both really glad you're enjoying this. We're having tons of fun with it thus far. I can't wait to do the next recording session.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Bit of a shorter update today just from how the recording session paces itself. I nearly get owned in it though. Thankfully, the deku nuts are here to save the day. Also, dancing Gorons.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
This is obviously too late to be useful, but the point of the bomb flowers on the wall is that they can be ignited by a lit deku stick. This allows you to access the shop and more importantly the Lost Woods shortcut before you get the bracelet.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

OH MY GOD I COULD HAVE DONE THAT. I always go get Saria's song before heading to the Goron's so I didn't even think about how to take that shortcut from there. Darn. That would have been an interesting welcome to the Lost Woods.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

The first half of Dodongo Cavern couldn't go better as I nearly die at the hands of babies and fire lizards. A lot of explosions this time around, include Mel????????

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I can't remember if it's OoT or MM (or both), but bomb jumps are totally a thing in at least one N64 Zelda. Just lay a bomb in between yourself and a ledge and let the explosion push you off. You'll do the usual jump animation for moving off a ledge, but your speed will be the speed at which you move from your damage/recoil animation from the bomb blast. You can get a lot of distance and get some places you shouldn't using that trick, and it's nowhere near as precise or finicky as supersliding or bomb hovering.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
It's also possible, but tricky, to use Baby Dodongo explosions to blow open rock walls. I think that's the way you're supposed to do it, although Dodongo's Cavern can't be cleared of Gold Skulltulas until significantly later in the game.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I thought about that when re watching the video. I probably would have died trying in that instance though.

Commander Keene posted:

I can't remember if it's OoT or MM (or both), but bomb jumps are totally a thing in at least one N64 Zelda.

I'm pretty sure it's both, but I'm no where near skilled enough to actually pull it off on purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

We finish the dungeon and I meet my first tragic end. Which is why I need to keep a steady supply of fairies with me. Next time we will give the reigns back to Mel, who knows where we'll end up?

• Locked thread