Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«5 »
Takuan
May 6, 2007

Starrcade 1992
January 4, 1992. The Tokyo Dome

A landmark occasion in New Japan history. It may have been the third Tokyo Dome show, and the second NJPW/WCW Supershow, but it was the first ever January 4th Tokyo Dome show. Like the G1 Climax and Jushin Liger and no one caring about the December Tag League, itís a tradition that is still with us today.
Match1 : Black Cat vs Hiroyoshi Yamamoto
Actually not too bad for a 5 minute match between a career midcarder and a skinny geek less than a year into his career. Black Cat was alright, and Yamamoto showed some good spirit. If he puts some meat on his bones, maybe gets a cool haircut to stand out, he might be something one day.
Match 2: Kantaro Hoshino & Kengo Kimura vs Kuniyaki Kobayashi and Osamu Kido
I didnít know these guys, especially Hoshino, were still around. Hoshino looked past his prime during the UWF invasion. This match, thankfully, has the opening minutes edited out. Itís not the worst match between a bunch of old dudes Iíve ever seen, but itís not really anywhere near interesting either. Kinda interesting to compare the ages of these guys, 42, 39, 48, and 36, to the ages of Nagata, Nakinishi, Kojima, and Tenzan today, 46, 47, 50, and 49, and how much better our old men are compared to 1992ís old men.
Match 3: Michiyoshi Ohara & Shiro Koshinaka vs The Enforcers(Arn Anderson & Larry Zbyszko)
NJPW vs WCW Tag Match

My boy Shiro lookiní like heís about to drop the smoothest Adult Contemporary album of 1992.

While it was a low-key filler of a match, Larry Zbyzsko made it worth watching. And thatís something I never thought Iíd write. He was very animated and very vocal throughout the whole thing. He reminded me of an 80s-era SNLSCTV character, or something. They had what Iíll generously call an interesting tactic to add leverage to a boston crab.

Arn wins it with a standing spinebuster. Worth a watch just for Zbzyskoís performance, even when heís on the sideline.
Match 4: The Blond Outlaws(Norio Honaga, Hiro Saito, & Super Strong Machine) vs Jushin Liger, AKIRA, & Masashi Aoyagi
Another match with the opening clipped out, and another plodding filler match. It does pick up a little towards the end, and the Blond Outlaws have a pretty cool double-team move:

But even still, meh. AKIRA pins Hiro Saito with a Dragon Suplex.
Match 5: Masa Saito & Kim Duk vs Dusty & Dustin Rhodes
The quality of this match depended entirely on whether Kim Duk(AKA Tiger Chung Lee) was in the ring. When he wasnít in the ring, it was an acceptable, at times kinda fun, old-school southern style match. When Kim Duk was in the ring, it was dire.
Dustin and Duk started the match off, they tried to do an early match move-trading sprint, but Kim Duk was too old and doddering and the whole thing just looked pathetic.

And if Iím not mistaken, the exact sequence they did was the type of thing they do for training in wrestling schools.
Twice, Duk offers to tag out and Saito basically goes ďNah, man, you go ahead.Ē I found out later he was waiting for Dusty to get in so they could have a dramatic, animated standoff

Once Dusty and Saito were the ring things picked up and it actually got pretty decent after that, until the closing minutes when Duk and Dustin were back in and it turned back to crap with Dustin at least trying to have a quick pace, but Duk just physically unable to keep up. Dustin Rhodes wins it with a bulldog.
Match 6: Scott Norton vs Tony Halme
Super Power Special Match

To honor the integrity of tru Puroresu and to help preserve itís legacy, I will not review or discuss this match. It is the exact opposite of what I support and th exact reason Puro rapidly lost itís dignity and meaning as a whole. I will continue to focus on TRUE matches that maintain and continue to define the ethic and aesthetic that is Puro.
loljk.
Tony Halme would go on to be known in the west as Ludvig Borga. Even though this is the first of his matches Iím seeing, heís been in New Japan since Late 1990, competing in a series of Boxer(Halme) vs Wrestler ďshootĒ matches, including a high profile series with Shinya Hashimoto, which Hashimoto eventually won. Most recently, he was defeated by Vader in December, so it seems like heís beginning a downward slope in his New Japan run.
I appreciate that the crowd appreciated a spot where Norton had Halme in a headlock, Halme tried to push him off to the ropes, but Norton held on to the hold. Norton also appreciated the crowds appreciation of that.
Some blatant spot calling.
Norton has Halme in a headlock
Norton: Hit me.
Halme: Where do you want it?
Norton: The back.
Halme: *punches Norton in the back*
Later, Halme has Norton in a headlock, and Norton very clearly said ďPunch meĒ before Halme punched him in the face.
It was a very simple match with a lot of rest holds. Norton looked dominant throughout most of the match, no-selling most of Halmes offense while flooring him with ever lariat and tackle.
The crowd seemed to be really in to Norton. He even got a chant while he was applying a headlock. Halme got a significant amount of heat, but I couldnít tell if it was Good Heel heat or Go back to Finland Heat. I havenít seen enough of his work to get an idea of how the crowd feels about him.
Probably one of the weakest ďrope shakeĒ spots Iíve ever seen.

ďIímía just sit down carefully on the turnbuckle here.Ē
Tony Halme throws Norton off the top rope, then wins with a flying clothesline.
And on that low note, I end my coverage of the fist half of the show. I wanted to do it all in one post, but with the way Iím going, Iím worried itíll take me a month to get it all done. Hopefully the next half is better. I mean, it pretty much has to be, right? Right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

Tony Halme later tried and failed at MMA, and then went into politics, joining the most racist political party in Finland. He's dead now. gently caress Tony Halme.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Didn't Halme get KTFO by Norton in the lockerrom? or was that somebody else?

Takuan
May 6, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Didn't Halme get KTFO by Norton in the lockerrom? or was that somebody else?

Allegedly Halme sucker punched a potentially drunk Norton, knocking him out. This supposedly led to him getting jobbed out before quitting the company in 1993.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Takuan posted:

Allegedly Halme sucker punched a potentially drunk Norton, knocking him out. This supposedly led to him getting jobbed out before quitting the company in 1993.

Starting poo poo with Scott Norton seems like a monumentally lovely idea.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

I'll be busting the moves and I'll be busting the rhymes, we'll be busting up laughing 'cause it's
PARTY TIME!

only thing i care to remember about halme is that he's one of the goons who gets his face kicked off in the terrible live action fist of the north star movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qoey
Jun 2, 2014

Xerzes posted:

Tony Halme later tried and failed at MMA, and then went into politics, joining the most racist political party in Finland. He's dead now. gently caress Tony Halme.

Reading the guy's wikipedia page is a ride, dude.

quote:

The day after the elections, Halme referred to President Tarja Halonen as a lesbian in a radio interview. Halme stated that if a lesbian can be president of Finland and he can be a member of Parliament, anything seems possible.

That just sounds like a bad movie quote...

«5 »