Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I feel like Singh either made the right friends In Japan or was supremely over there because I've never seen him have a good match or gotten any impression that he was a compelling promo.

Tiger Ali Singh might have been worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Venomous posted:

One more match worth a look from that year, and idk why it isn't on World. Rick Steiner and Scott Norton vs. Keiji Mutoh and Hiroshi Hase for the IWGP Tag Team Championships from November 5th 1991. https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x38elou

Is that the one where they debuted the double team top rope DDT

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Didn't Halme get KTFO by Norton in the lockerrom? or was that somebody else?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Takuan posted:

Allegedly Halme sucker punched a potentially drunk Norton, knocking him out. This supposedly led to him getting jobbed out before quitting the company in 1993.

Starting poo poo with Scott Norton seems like a monumentally lovely idea.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Shiki Dan posted:

So, uh, I guess this is kinda random and out-of-order, but I just found this match and figured this would be the place for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHSvgWWRTyI

I'm posting it just for the idea of Hulk Hogan, Bret Hart, and Iron Mike Sharpe being the most wtf 3-man team in 1984, working in New Japan against Inoki & crew of all places.

But yeah...surprised that Bret and Hogan actually teamed together before the nWo.

I'd think the simple reason was they all speak English and they all happened to be there. If you wanna see really wacky teams, look at random WAR or FMW cards from the mid 90's where you have matches like

Bob Backlund, Mil Mascaras, and Jimmy Snuka vs. The Eliminators (Saturn and Kronus) and Hector Garza

or

Horace Boulder (aka Horace Hogan), Tim Patterson, and Negro Casas vs. Atsushi Onita, Tarzan Goto, and el Hijo del Santo (which got 5 stars from Meltzer!)

Like that's some Battlebowl poo poo, but with a 6 man setting and no particular reason to do the match. Japan has interesting philosophies when it comes to gaijin, and it's not unheard of in some companies for debuting guys to get placed high on the card as a test, Jericho alluded to this in his first book.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jan 21, 2018

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

tzirean posted:

The main thing I associate with Tenryu's backwards elbow drop is how many random people got it in the early AKI/THQ WCW games.

It seemed to be a default move if the person didn't really possess top rope offence

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

LvK posted:

Some notes:

-I don't remember the details, but I remember reading something about TAKA Michinoku being a kinda last-minute substitute for someone else who pulled out.
-SPWF was one of the splinter companies formed in the wake of Super World of Sports going under, its entire idea being that it would be by and for people who held down day jobs and college careers, plus offering training to them. It also held a few intergender matches in the early '90s and iirc actually took on female trainees, so basically it was a precursor to the modern indie?

Somehow it shambled along until the late '00s, but I think they weren't putting on shows for years at a time.

fake edit: I just went to go double-check some of my info and the company died in 2011 and then again in 2017. Yowza.

Probably Gran Hamada or Kikuchi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Aesop Poprock posted:

Great thread. I’m a little late getting through it but in case no one else mentioned it, you’d said you hadn’t heard much of Buzz Sawyer so here’s Cornette with some pretty good stories of how insane and unpleasant he was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M6vNVTjo6c

Buzz is the fuckwit who ripped off Taker when Take was trying to get trained, right?