Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
It's very difficult to place yourself in the context of those times. Wrestling was supposed to be much closer to an athletic contest and a wrestling match, clean finishes between major stars were very rare (especially in Japan) and the style was much less reliant on bumps and high spots. Billy Robinson was one of the most revered technical wrestlers and shooters of the time and that match with Inoki was a classic in its time. It went an hour because that's just how things were, draws were much more common.

It also set the stage for Baba to raid Robinson and pay him a ton of money to lose to him clean in their first meeting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Takuan posted:

I understand having to put these matches in the context of the style of the time, but I feel like even if I was living in in the time these matches took place I would still feel these matches were far too slow and boring compared to other combat sports of the time, like boxing or sumo. 1975 was the same year as Muhammed Ali vs Joe Frazier, which had a much more active pace than either of these matches. For the sake of comparison I looked up some sumo matches from this time and those were way more fun to watch than these matches. I've seen, and enjoyed, a lot of old, slow paced, hour-long matches- NWA Flair/Rhodes/Race type stuff. But these were slow and uneventful even by those standards.

Flair was considered a dude who worked way too fast and did too much in his matches. 1975 was the year Flair had his plane crash, so you aren't comparing Flair performances from the same year. Dusty... well, you are comparing someone who was extremely limited and excelled in brawls vs a 60 minute draw so, that's a weird comparison. When I compare this to the Sammartino/Baba 60 minute draw it compares very favorably (and that match is also very good) and feels similar to matches of that length from guys like Bockwinkel. Billy Robinson was an incredibly respected and important figure in puro so I really don't think you are comparing it fairly.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Takuan posted:

It’s 9am, I got less than 4 hours of sleep last night, and I just finished watching today’s G1 matches. Now seems like as good a time as any to press onward.

But first I’d like to clarify and elaborate on my thoughts of the Inoki/Robinson match. I didn’t hate the match. I’ve seen much, much worse. And there were some great sequences. But even taking into consideration that that pace was the style of the time for wrestling, I feel like it’s still slow and uneventful compared to other combat sports of the same time period, like boxing. Even if you take the pacing out of the equation, I still felt like there was no kind of story, or psychology, or even cause and effect through the match. Isn’t that what they say made this era great? They may not be fast paced, or have flashy moves, but they have great psychology, and tell stories in the ring, and so on. There was none of that in the match. Or if there was, it was too subtle for me to pick up on it. There was nothing like “Robinson is working Inoki’s left leg so he won’t be able to hook on the Octopus Stretch.” or “Inoki is faster and stronger but Robinson is craftier and more creative.” No real sense of progression or escalation. No callbacks to earlier in the match. It was just 2 guys doing moves for an hour. You could take each sequence from the match, shuffle their order randomly, and it wouldn’t make a difference. That’s the last I’m going to say about this match, or 70s wrestling in general, ‘cuz I’m moving on to the 80s.

I just don't understand comparing it to boxing. Boxing historically was more action packed than wrestling, why would it matter? Kickboxing is more action packed than any combat sport but after the peak of K1 it has never recovered. In the early 1900s boxing was two dudes constantly punching each other in the face while wrestling was two dudes stalling for three hours. Wrestling was more popular.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MadRhetoric posted:

On what planet are Mutoh/Hase/Chono/Hashimoto/half-crazed middle age Inoki matches bad? Or pre injury Steiners and Vader's cuppa? I understand not liking the style, but bad?

On this planet Chono matches post 92 were often bad.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Takuan posted:

Next, I’ll be watching a one-night tournament for the arbitrarily vacant IWGP Heavyweight Championship at New Japan’s first ever Tokyo Dome show. The tournament features top stars Tatsumi Fujinami, Vader, and Riki Choshu, fresh from excursion midcarders Masahiro Chono and Shinya Hashimoto, two Russian guys nobody has ever heard of that are the result of Inoki’s fetish for ‘legit fighters’, and Buzz Sawyer because why the gently caress not, I guess.

In the case of the Russians he was dead right.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Takuan posted:

Are the Russians actually good? 'Cuz that's the opposite of what I've read about this situation.

He was right in the sense that they did huge business with them. I kind of like some of the stuff too.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

tzirean posted:

Foley also talks in his first book about how much of a total softy Vader is, IIRC.

Vader could also be a total loving rear end in a top hat like in his fight with Paul Orndorff where after he lost the fight he attacked Paul from behind to get his revenge on the guy with the hosed up arm. Or the incident on Kuwaiti TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gaz-L posted:

Honestly, even as a relatively recent New Japan convert, I can tell that the company kinda runs from the Dome to the G1 and anything after the G1 finals barely matters.

A weird thing to say given the IWGP title changed hands in 2014 in that period and the IC title changed hands last year and the year before that... and the year before that.