Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

Welcome! This is a new recruit for Modern Maskers, an ongoing game of by-the-book, no gimmick Masks, set in Halcyon City. Tricky, Theantero and I are looking for 1-2 new PCs. The pregame "our first adventure" scenario is rescuing the established PCs Raiken and Styx from Hell. To do that you have to be a hero that's the same age as they are and have been recruited by their ex-teammate Kon.

How to get in: follow the rules in the book for creating a character then be chosen unanimously by us. In can't speak to the others, but I highly value apps that show economy by linking themselves to the established narrative and being concise–the original app process for this game had character limits to minimize the amount of solo effort done, to keep it from getting too asymmetrical before the game started and give me too much to keep in my head while I was comparing all the apps. Calling back to what we've already made and joining that collaboration from the get-go are good signs that you're what I'm looking for. Go ahead and app an NPC like Wolfsbane, Qīng Líng, or Vinnie Cropper if you want to. At the very least read the thread and use what you find, join the discord and read the rules and such and engage!

Here's a link to the old recruit thread if you want to see what not to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...they shall march out of my laboratory and sweep away every adversary, every creed, every nation, until the very planet is in the loving grip of the Pax Bisonica. And then peace will reign, and the world, and all humanity, shall bow to me in humble gratitude...

This is Styx, and as per the recruit, your character should have some familiarity with her already since you're being sent down to Hell to help out her and Raiken. You don't need to be besties or anything mind. Wolfsbane, one of the suggested NPCs (you can app an existing NPC, but don't have to) for example, has already tried to banish poor Styx TWICE. But you need to know each other to some degree. Same goes for Raiken.

quote:

Who were you before

Lydia Bristow was considered a particularly sunny sort of girl. To a degree she still is, and tries to be. It can be a difficult though, what with her condition...

quote:

When did you change? What caused it?

See, one day, a reaper was making the rounds, but did not quite pay due attention to their scythe. On this poor Lydia's soul snagged, and fell into the bottom of the river to the Netherworld. When the authorities of the thereafter noticed their mistake, and "discreetly" tried to bolt her soul back on, her body was already cold and clammy, her soul infused and soaked with the baleful energies of the dead. And thus was born Styx.

quote:

Who, outside of the team, is helping you understand your new body?

A sunny smile and peppy demeanor helps only so much when your breath smells of death and your eyes bleed the fell blackness of the damned and your skin flickers transparent. People still tend to freak. Well, unless you're a necromancer. They often are understanding of such issues.

Memoriam is well known to the hero circles for his propensity and good will towards the dead. He's the sort of fellow who summons ghosts to nice tea parties to reminisce and have good times with. An eccentric, but a nice one. He quickly took in poor Lydia, teaching her how to best channel her charnel energies for goodness. As well as pragmatic things, like how to pick clothes that go best with being a ghost. Or how to scrub away the smell of death from your mom's prized rug. And where to find the best tissues for wiping all the black goop that seeps from your eyes. These sort of things.

quote:

Why don’t you just try to hide yourself away?

Lydia, bless her soul, just likes people far too much. She knows her situation is... complicated. A trite difficult that is to say. But she refuses to yield to such hardship. Indeed, she reasons, that for every flower her dread aura wilts around her, she'll just have to bloom twice as brightly.

quote:

Why do you care about the team?

Why, they're such nice, good people, who aspire to do good things in the world. Also, everyone with superpowers is at least a bit freaky to some degree. So perhaps they'll be more understanding than the rest of the populace.

quote:

You're "special," why can't you catch a break even from other spirits and immortals?

"Haha, yeah, that. Hmm, well, you know how immortals and spirits tend to be a fairly exclusive lot, with old traditions, yeah? You have all these ancient phoenix bloodlines and fae courts with byzantine traditions and whatnot. And then there's me, just ol' Lydia, who became immortal due to an embarrassing fluke of the nether authorities. So basically, I think it's a mix of me being a reminder of failure, and in part elitist exclusion. Sort of, hmm, you know, how old money aristocrats would look down on lottery winners? Except in this case you win the creepiest getup on the planet instead of money. Haha."

quote:

What do you miss most from before and how do you plan to get it back or replace it?

"I assume you mean in addition to not being able to go anywhere or do anything without people staring?" Lydia stared forwards a bit, "...I used to be into theater. In an amateurish extent. Made a lot of friends there. They don't want me there anymore", a faint grin spread on her ghastly face, "But hey who knows? Maybe they'll need extras for something horror themed later on? Ha!"

quote:

The Halcyon Star's supers news correspondent Font interviewed you and wrote an article about you. What'd you like most about it, what'd you learn about yourself?

"Okay, this is going to be a bit corny so bear with me. So at first, I thought they were just going to make some Freak of the Week sort of clickbaity thing on me for shock value you know? But when we talked, it actually went pretty well! Even the article was fine! But what I remember most, is how I made her laugh. That I can still manage that."

"Choking on the cheese yet? Haha, I did warn you!"

quote:

You also saw yourself on television once, mistaken for a villain. The heroine Wolfsbane of the Night Watchers showed up to take you on and you fought to a standstill. When you watched it afterwards, what shook you the most and why?

"Hmm, it did highlight one thing that I hadn't really considered. You know how most of my looks are due to the nether energies? Well, turns out all of that gets worse when I channel them proper. Like now? I might almost pass for a cute zombie girl. But then? I'm not surprised they thought me a villain."

quote:

Finally, you've lost touch with everyone from your past. Who are you glad is out of your life and why?

"..."

"One of the first people I went to after my change was my boyfriend, Vinnie Cropper . And now, I realize all... this might be a lot to ask for a teenager to accept, and I don't fault them for breaking up with me but... they didn't have to be so cruel about it you know? Not when I needed support the most."

quote:

Name: Lydia Bristow
Hero Name: Styx
Look: Woman, Pale, Upsetting Eyes, Clammy Flesh, Unnerving Costume

Abilities:

Nether Energies
When her soul sank into the river, Lydia's soul was suffused to the brim with the energies of the netherworld. She's got weird eyes now, and stuff around her tends to get a bit of a gloomy bent.

Transmuting Flesh
Well, that's what it looks like. Styx can enter the nether due to her connection, which makes her appear ghostlike. With all the ghost benefits.

Labels:
Freak +2
Danger +2
Savior +2
Superior -1
Mundane -2

Moves:
Not human enough: When you directly engage a threat in a terrifying fashion, mark a condition to choose an additional option, even on a miss.

Wish I could be: When you comfort or support someone, if you tell them what you most envy about them, you can roll + Freak instead of + Mundane.

Be the monster: When you frighten, intimidate, or cow others with your monstrous form, roll + Freak. On a hit, they are thrown off and make themselves vulnerable to you, or they flee. On a 10+, choose one. On a 7-9, choose two.
- you frighten others you had not intended to scare
- you hurt someone or break something you shouldn’t have
- you feel like more of a monster afterward; mark a condition (GM’s choice)
On a miss, they react with violence, hatred, and paranoia, and you suffer the brunt of it.

Unstoppable: When you smash your way through scenery to get to or away from something, roll +Danger. On a hit, the world breaks before you, and you get what you want. On a 7-9, choose one:
-mark a condition
-leave something behind,
-take something with you
On a miss, you smash through, but leave devastation in your wake or wind up somewhere worse, GM’s choice.

Moment of Truth
It’s so easy to forget that you’re not your body, and you’re not the voice in your head—you’re both. Be the monster, and save them anyway. Smash down walls, and speak softly. Because when you embrace it, you can do anything. Of course, putting on a display like this is sure to rile up those who see only the monster when they look at you…

Advances
-Take another move from your playbook (Unstoppable)

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

quote:

Who changed you?

"The Santiago Foundation." Raiken's mouth is tight with anger. "They brought me on-board with a promise of a summer internship. That was a lie. Instead they rewired my body, replaced half of it with advanced machinery and the other half with some extradimensional bullshit. The only part of me that's still me is..." She taps her head.

quote:

How did you escape from them?

Raiken spins one of her guns, levels it at the wall, then holsters it. "White decided to take a shot at The Santiago Foundation. I dunno why. He's a super-villain, you know? He blew up enough of their security and I was able to slip out in the confusion. I know the guy is bad news, but I owe him for that." She shrugs. "Great timing, too. They were about to finish things up and wipe my mind."

quote:

Who, outside the team, tries to take care of you now?

"When I first escaped, I needed a place to crash. Somewhere they wouldn't find me." Raiken's face relaxes for a moment. "This guy, Crimson Fist, put me up for a while. I operated out of this run-down warehouse he uses as a training ground for the first few months while I built up a rep. We keep in touch, even now. I really owe him a lot. I mean, I can't admit it to him or anything, but he probably kept me from getting vivisected or reprogrammed or something else."

quote:

Why do you try to be a hero?

Raiken grins mirthlessly. "The Foundation is never going to stop. They've invested too much into me to just let me run free. I could try to hide, yeah, but that sounds like a good way to get disappeared in the night." She shrugs. "Might as well make the best of things, right? Even if..." For a moment, Raiken's facade fades and she looks vulnerable. "Even if they made me into a weapon, it's up to me how I use that. Right?"

quote:

"It's exhausting, you know?" Raiken rubs her eyes. "I need to be on point all the time. I need to keep my eyes out for enemies everywhere. Even if these guys aren't the type to stick with me when it gets rough and, to be honest, I wouldn't blame them, it'll give me a chance to rest a bit. And if they do? Maybe we can shut the Foundation down for good."

quote:

What kind of weird qualifications did you need to nail that internship, and how did the Santiago Foundation not draw any heat for making one Asano Ruri disappear? Is anyone looking for her?

"Well, it was an internship at the premiere science think-tank in Halcyon. Most of the requirements were pretty standard — excessively high GPA, a killer essay, a few rounds of interviews — but there were a few that seemed odd, even back then. They took us in for a physical at their labs, something about ensuring that we didn't have any latent conditions that would flare up from exposure to spatial particles? I'm pretty sure that was what got me the job." Raiken touches the dark spot on her chest. "They found something in me that the rest of the candidates didn't have. Something that made me the perfect canvas for their experiments."

"As for why they aren't in hot water? I was supposedly staying at the Foundation's dorms over the summer. They got trashed when White attacked, so it was pretty easy for the Foundation to write me off as dead. I read my obituary. It was pretty touching. I think my parents are still looking, maybe even hired a P.I., but I can't get them involved in this."

quote:

Crimson Fist let you know that AEGIS offers a witness protection program-esque service to heroes with origins like yours. What's keeping you from taking the opportunity?

"Right, AEGIS. Well, funny thing about that. Who's to say that the Foundation doesn't have their claws in 'em?" Raiken shakes her head. "I can't risk it. If a hero vanishes, that's weird. People talk. If I go dark and then vanish, who's going to notice? I mean, Crimson Fist has his heart in the right place. But, at the same time, he's a bit naive. Most people are when it comes down to it."

quote:

The heroes Grace and Poise were the ones that stopped White when he attacked the Foundation, you escaped them and now they are on the lookout for you, thinking you're dangerous and might not be in control of your own body. In the fight with them, how did they hurt you the most and what do you want to do about it?

"Ugh, those two. I mean, yeah, they saved the day. Not sure why they thought I needed to be put down too. Here I am, stumbling out of the rubble covered in IVs and god knows what else and they start dancing up a storm around me. Literally. I didn't know much about my body then, like how tough it is, so I didn't think it was weird that their tornado tore me up hardcore. I got better, but something about their magic cut right through me. Those idiots have bought into the Foundation line completely. I don't want to hurt 'em, probably not bad kids, but... Well, I'm never going back. Nobody can make me."

quote:

Hero Name: Raiken
Look: Woman, Asian, Casual Clothing, Memorable Costume

Abilities:

Superhumanly Tough, Incredibly Strong — "Like I said, they replaced almost everything with weird machines and... other things. Nothing that should exist in this world, that's for sure. I don't even know if I'm human anymore. I look it, sure, but I don't need to eat. Breathe, either. My body can knit itself back together from scraps. I can — and have — hold up a crumbling building. Probably more. I've never really hit my peak."

Uniquely Skilled At Fighting — "I mentioned the machines, right? Well, there's something in my head, too. It feeds me all sorts of data on what I'm fighting and how to kill it. Not like I do, I'm a hero after all, but that's what they made me to be. Weapons-wise, I can pull out all sorts of stuff — blades, guns, you name it — and pump that energy into it to do some real damage. It's like lightning, kinda, but not. It gives me a weird vibe. Like it's not supposed to exist."

Labels:
Freak +3
Danger +2
Savior -1
Superior -1
Mundane +1

The Bull’s Heart
You always have exactly one love and one rival. You can change your love or rival at any time; give the new subject of your affections or disdain Influence over you. Take +1 ongoing to any action that impresses your love or frustrates your rival.

Love:
Rival:

Choose a role you commonly fulfill for your love or rival:
❑ Defender: When you leap to defend your love or rival in battle, roll + Danger instead of + Savior to defend them.

Moves:
❑ There when it matters: When you defend someone, on a hit you can hold 1 instead of choosing one from the list. Spend your hold when they are in danger later to arrive on the scene ready to help.

❑ In a china shop: When you directly engage a threat, you can cause significant collateral damage to your environment to choose an additional option, even on a miss.

Moment of Truth:
This is what you do best. You let loose, all the pent up strength and rage and glee, and you break whatever stands in your way. You are a walking demolition crew. What can stand up to you? Nothing. Not buildings. Not structures. Not enemies. Nothing. Of course, now the people who changed you know exactly where to find you...

Team Moves:
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, make them your love or rival immediately to mark potential. If they are already your love or rival, take Influence over them and mark potential.
When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, give them Influence and hold 2. Spend that hold to help them as if it were Team in the pool.

When our team first came together…
We defeated a dangerous enemy. Who or what was it?

Relationships:
Styx is your love. You’ve opened up to them about the worst parts of your past.
Kon is your rival. They tried to control you at a crucial moment.

Influence:
You’re selective about who you let in. Give your love and rival Influence over you, but that’s it.

Advances:
—Rearrange your labels as you wish and add +1.

Tricky fucked around with this message at Jul 30, 2017 around 02:57

Scrree
Jan 15, 2008

the history of all dead generations,

quote:

Where do you come from?

The Elysium Kingdom! You might know it better as ‘Heaven’. Yep, that’s right, I’m a capital-a Angel in service of the capital-b Big Guy up top! Although… saying it like that is a bit deceiving. You humans have basically no clue what’s really going on up there; for one, there are a lot, a lot, more rules than you’d ever expect...

quote:

Why did you come to Earth

Well, it all started when a Reaper took the soul of a human before their ‘natural end’. This was in complete violation of the Third Compact of Era Seven, Section C, Subsection F, Article 43, and so I (alongside my aid, Iscariot, I’ll talk about him later) were sent down into the underworld to retrieve that poor soul!

Well… I totally failed. There was neither wisp nor spark of the soul where Archangel Gabriel said they’d be, and I was completely stonewalled by the underworld bureaucracy! I’m investigating the mis-reaped soul incident, I told them. There has been no mis-reaped soul incident, they replied. Ah! Aaaaaaagh! It was so frustrating I nearly started ripping my feathers out.

I pushed my case pretty hard. Maybe a bit too hard, and they, uh, ‘ejected me from the premises’ of the Underworld…

And that’s how I ended up on Earth!

quote:

Why do you want to stay here (for now at least)?
Earth is nice! Being here makes me feel so… free. And humans seem a lot better than what I’d heard up top! For example, when we first ‘got’ to Earth, Iscariot and I were moving so fast we nearly ran over this Human called Jeannine! She only barely dodged in time, which was really scary because accidentally killing a human is very, very against the rules.

Jeanine brought me to אמא שלה – ah, sorry, I mean her mom; Maiden Pearl. They had apparently seen me coming somehow? And wanted to make sure I had a nice introduction to Halcyon City. The Maiden poured me some boiled leaf-juice (I don’t know why? For smell, like some kind of liquid incense? It did smell nice.) and explained everything about the city. You know, who the good humans and bad humans are and stuff. Finally, not long after the leaf-juice stopped steaming, she asked me what I was doing on Earth.

I put a finger to my lips and winked at her, “Secret mission from God!”

I lied! I broke the ‘no-lying’ rule! But how could I not? I couldn’t tell her that I’d been sent down to the Underworld to find a soul, didn’t find the soul, and got kicked out. That’d make me sound like, like a complete failure…

Since I didn’t actually have anything to do, I told her I’d been sent early, and was free for the next while. That’s when the old human, Memoriam, stepped Into the room. He asked me if I was willing to help the city, I said yes, and before I knew it I was an official associate hero of Halcyon City!

quote:

Why do your people want you to come home?

That all happened a couple months ago, and ever since them I’ve been breaking more and more rules. I’ve lied, hurt (bad!) people, wore clothing that was made from linen and wool woven togethr, and many other sins.... It makes me a little queezy to even think about. Sometimes I daydream about how long my sin-scroll must be, and how Gabriel's face looks like when he adds another infraction to the list. Oh, I’m going to be in so much trouble...

But I can’t go back yet! Not while that poor soul still unjustly wanders the Underworld! I’m not going fail my very first assignment! I’m just, uh, ah – gathering leads! Yep, that’s what the human’s call it, gathering leads and finding clues!

quote:

When I first heard Styx’s story, I was aghast. It was so similar to the situation I’d been sent down to investigate, and that must mean…!

The Reapers are wrongfully taking human souls far more often than the Elysium Kingdom is aware of! It must be a conspiracy! And if I can be the angel to uncover it, I’ll be redeemed in the eyes of the Lord! A bunch of little bad things don’t matter if you do one, really big good thing, right? Right.

Hm, Styx herself? Well, she seems like a nice human. I can’t really do much for her, though. I mean, I’m looking for a lost soul, Styx still has her body. I guess I can take her up when she naturally passes away.

How long do Banshee-Human’s normally live, anyways?

Raiken has had a tough life. Angelic Law states that what humans do to other humans is not of our concern, but it’s hard to believe in that when ypu meet someone like Raiken. Shouldn’t she get justice for what was done to her?

She looks like she could use a guardian Angel!

Extra Question From Myself To Myself posted:

Why are you the same age as Styx?

Oh! Right, you wouldn’t know about that! Well, let me explain; all angels are as old as ‘old’ is, but at any time we can ask אלוקים to break us to nothing and remake us completely anew.

I was apparently a reaallly old angel. But apparently I’d gotten tried of… existing? I don’t know. I don’t have any memories from that time, all I know is that I was remade, and went from being one of the oldest angels to being the youngest.

So when I said this was my first assignment, I meant it. After a little over a decade and a half of being taught The Rules, over and over and over, I finally got a chance to show my stuff! And totally blew it!

Ah! I can’t think like that! I’m going to go down to Hell, find Styx, and find that lost soul I was originally sent to find, and uncover the that’s Reaper-conspiracy that’s been hidden the Kingdom, and rise back up to the glorious choir of all my fellow angels clapping!

quote:

Hero Name:: Morning Star ☀
Real Name: Angel Names are complicated, but you can call me Luci!
Look: Woman, Strange Body, Glowing Eyes, Flashy Clothes, Her People’s Uniform

Abilities:

Heliokinesis – “Anything the sun does, I can do to! But, a little faster and more focused, haha. Shoot rays, heat things up, burn people, light up a person’s day~!”

Radical Shapeshifting – “Oh! This isn’t my real form; I just look like this because that’s how Angels are supposed to look when on earth. It’s the rules~! But if I really need to, I can flex a bit and change back. Here, let me show you!”

Labels:
Freak: +2
Danger: -1
Savior: +0
Superior: +2
Mundane: +0

Moves:
Kirby-Craft – “I wasn’t sent down alone! A grumpy-old Ophanim was assigned to assist me in my search; his name is Iscariot. He’s so oooooold that he speaks a dialect of Angelic that I don’t even understand, but, I’m pretty sure we’re good friends…? He doesn't grumble about my rule breaking, but then again, he was tasked with following my orders no matter what... Anyways, he’s really fast and maneuverable, and his body itself is a powerful weapon. Riding him is quite the thrill~ Although, it’s hard to take him anywhere real fun. Even mortals can detect his presence, and if he gets hurt… Like I said, he’s old, and needs his time to rest if he gets hurt.

Oh, how do I ride him? Well, in angelic form we ride together as Wheel and Star, but in human form…

Have you ever seen a unicycle?”

When Morning Star rides with Iscariot, she can use him to Unleash Your Powers, Directly Engage a Threat, or Defend someone using Superior.

Belong in Two Worlds – You have the resources that come with your station. Whenever you contact your people, roll + Superior. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7-9, hold 2. On a miss, hold 1, but your people make an uncomfortable demand of you. Spend your hold 1 for 1 to:

- receive a useful piece of alien technology that will allow you to use any ability from another playbook once (choose the ability when you spend the hold)
- consult your people’s knowledge to ask the GM a question about the current situation
- clear a condition through the comfort of contact with your home.

Heavenly Runes (Alien Tech) – When you alter a human device with your alien technology, roll + Freak. On a hit, you create a device that can do something impossible once and then fizzle. When you roll a 10+, choose one:

- it works exceptionally well
- you get an additional use out of it

On a miss, the device works, but it has a completely unintended side effect that the GM will reveal when you use it.

Moment of Truth:
You embrace your home and call them for aid, They will answer your call – in force! – arriving exactly when you need them to turn the tide. They fight and serve you for the rest of the battle. Of course, when all is said and done… they’d probably like to take you home with them. You did, after all, just prove yourself worthy.

Team Moves:
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, take Influence over them if you them meaningful affection; physical or emotional. They decide if it’s meaningful.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, They tell you what you should do to fit in more. Take +1 forward to do it, and mark potential if you do.

When our team first came together…
We didn’t trust each other at first, but that changed. How? Why?

Relationships:
You’ve been learning about Earth by spending time with __________
You have a crush on _________________ but you keep it under wraps.

Influence:
Choose you demeanor: haughty or cheerful.

If you’re cheerful, you’re thrilled to be here. Give everyone Influence over you.

Advances:

Scrree fucked around with this message at Aug 1, 2017 around 19:56

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007
If I must die, I shall welcome Death as an old friend, and wrap mine arms about it.

The Hero Formerly Known as Crimson Fist

Delinquent Playbook posted:

How did you get your powers?
I came by ‘em honestly, if that’s what you’re asking. Didn’t steal anything, or get exposed to weird cosmic rays while sneaking around places I don’t belong. Do you remember that big fire down by the docks a year or so ago? Well, I was close enough to watch it go, just gawking. Then suddenly one of the warehouses goes up, BOOM! I was okay, I mean, I got knocked over but I didn’t get hit by any falling debris or anything. The explosion did, however, throw a big wall of this toxic smoke over me though. So, there I am, hacking and coughing because of course I ended up breathing the stuff in, and then it’s like my skin starts burning, but from the inside. I’m thinking that I’ve got to get out of there before this stuff kills me, and the heat starts ramping up like an inferno and I can feel this pressure building in my chest.

Bang! Something gives away in me, and with a white flash, suddenly I’m across the parking lot pulling in a lungful of clean air. Well, clean for the docks, anyway. I’ve got no clue what it was that I was exposed to, but it definitely changed me. Apparently the fire fighters were protected by their equipment, but I keep wondering if anyone else came out of that spectacle changed like I was.

What do you do for fun?
I’m a musician actually! I’ve been into it for a while, started with the piano when I was a little snot and then picked up the guitar a few years back. I’m even part of a band, Patriot Down, we’ve got sort of a power metal sound going on right now, but some of the guys are looking to experiment a bit. The gigs are strictly small time right now, but I just can’t get enough of that feeling when the crowd’s into it. It’s like something electric’s got a grip on your spine.

Who, outside the team, thinks better of you than you do?

Well, Valerie Weiger seems to think I’ve got it in me to go far as an agent of A.E.G.I.S. The way she puts it, my willingness to “defy convention” can be an asset, it allows me to find solutions where others might falter. I guess I can see how she might think I’d be on board for something like that; my family’s got a long history of service after all. Heck, I used to talk about signing up for the Marines after graduation. It’d be a chance to see a bit more of the world and then go to college on Uncle Sam’s dime, you know?

Still, I’m a teleporter with access to concealable weapons that can’t be taken away from me. That sounds like a short road to “Black Ops” to me, and I’m not sure that’s a journey I want to take. That said, it’s not like I’ve thrown away the business card she gave me either.

Look…I’m not going to preach at you or anything. The world’s a messed up place, we all know it, we just try hard to forget. Well, you’ve heard people say that “If you’re not part of the solution, you’re part of the problem”, right? Complacency isn’t worth some guy bleeding out in a gutter to me. So sometimes, yeah, I go out and I put boots to the guys who deserve it. If someone wants to call me a hero for that, well, I figure it says more about other people than me.

Freaks gotta stick together, right? It’s not like we can trust the rest of the world to give us a fair shake.

Hero Name: Riot
Look: White man, jaded eyes, rebellious clothing, cheap costume.

Abilities
Your powers are messy, deceiving, or frustrating. Choose two:
Teleportation, Psychic Weapons

Labels
Freak: +0
Danger: +1
Savior: -1
Superior: +2
Mundane: +1

Moves
I don’t care what you think!: Whenever you reject other’s Influence, add +2 to your roll.

Troublemaker: When you help a teammate through destructive, criminal, or rule-breaking actions, you can give them a +2 instead of a +1 when you spend a Team from the pool.

Are you watching closely? When you mislead, distract, or trick someone, roll +Superior. On a hit, they are fooled, at least for a moment. On a 10+, choose three. On a 7-9, choose two.
- you get an opportunity
- you expose a weakness or flaw
- you confuse them for some time
- you avoid further entanglement
On a miss, you’re hopelessly embroiled in it and under pressure; mark a condition.

Moment of Truth
This is when you show them what you really are. Whether you’re the hero underneath the rebel façade, or the one who can make the hard choices heroes can’t make. You do whatever it takes to show that truth, whether it’s saving the day from a terrible villain or stopping a bad guy once and for all. Of course, once you’ve shown what you really are, there’s no going back to playing the clown …

Team Moves
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them if they think you’re cool. If they say yes, give them Influence and take Influence over them. If they say no, mark a condition or spurn them immediately. If they’re a teammate, then either way, add a Team to the pool.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, give them Influence over you, and ask them who they’d like you to be. Mark potential if you show them that person. If they’re a teammate, add a Team to the pool no matter what.

Relationships
You keep trying to impress ________________ with your antics.
You and _______________ pulled an awesome (if illegal) stunt together.

Influence
You care way more than you let on. Give three teammates Influence over you.

Justice Grieves fucked around with this message at Aug 9, 2017 around 19:18

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 4, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Don't get jelly that you're not a psychic powerhouse like me. It's not all dandelions and not dying, you know.

When did you first learn of your doom?

Well, my psychic awakening didn't exactly come like anybody existed. Sure, mom had tested psi-pos, but other than being really annoying at card games, it never meant much, at least until I had my school-wide poltergeisting. Once they pinned down I was responsible, out I went as a “danger”, so, you know, good education there. Worse yet, I got sick. Psi… sick. Pun. So, AEGIS picked me up under psi-breakers, at least they would find somebody who could help me with my issues.

The Santiago Foundation.

Where did you get your sanctuary?

It turns out the Santiago Foundation helps people like me as part of their charitable tax-writeoff... er, I mean. Because corporations are the best and mean well for everybody! I mean, I’m grateful, the costs aren’t something my parents could ever afford, like the suit, which allows me to go out. My immune system is really weak, and the medicines only do so much. There’s the Clean Room, where I can… be myself for a bit. The suit channels my psionic feedback. They say they’re experimenting with that kind of thing all the time, and with it, I can do what I can to save other people’s lives. I know they try and softball it, but I know I’ve only got so much time left. I wasn’t exactly expecting on getting backed when I asked about being a superhero.

Well. “A positive representation of the Psychic-American community.”, as the Foundation would put it. But they were all for it. Publicizes their good works, you know? Wasn't exactly going to fight them on it. A least I don't have to wear a logo or anything.

But when I asked for the truckbusting fists on my suit, I wasn’t expecting to get them. … maybe I should have asked for a forever kitten while I was at it? (I'd probably catch some kitty pox from it now, though...)

Why do you oppose your nemesis?

White says that the suit is just holding me back. Yeah, I’ll get right out, Mr. White, let’s go on a happy life of crime oh whoops, I just died of like a thousand illnesses, do I still get my share of the money we just stole from the puppy orphanage? Foundation kind of alerted me to him trying to rob one of their facilities and I was able to catch up to him on his way out, but he’s like a psychic kung-fu master and I got to be the big tough dork he lays out to prove his skill. Keeps talking about my potential, gross.

Fine. You know, I can deal with getting owned. But trying to break my suit, to try and pull it off. I kind of went berserk, then. He parted ways after that. “Parted ways” is nice person talk for saying he tucked his buns and ran, of course. But I owe the Foundation a thing or two, and more than that… if I can beat somebody like him in psychic warfare, maybe I have more control over them than I think. Maybe there's hope.

Pfffftahahahaha nah. Maybe. Seems legit?

Who, outside the of the team, is crucial to defeating your nemesis?

Won Eun-jae is my psychic trainer from AEGIS. Apparently she works in psychic crimes, but she's the one who's helped me really get a handle on my powers. She's got a really good mind castle, which I'm sure doesn't mean she's hiding anything, but for now, I need her help. I don't want her help, but... ugh. I get tried of breaking things with my thought. When I bring up White, there's... a reaction, so I'm pretty much she knows him, but won't tell me anything.

I'll get it sooner or later. I just need to put up with esper training until I'm ready to brain-barf.

Why does the team matter to you?

Maybe if I have some others at my side, maybe… they can pick up the slack for me. Yeah, totally lazy, you’re thinking, but maybe they can help me keep it together a little longer if I don’t have to push so hard. Plus, a big psychic glowy weirdo like me just has friends lining up at the door, right? Sure. I'm gonna be Homecoming Queen. Once they let me back in a school, anyway. Tutors, ugh.

How are you getting dragged (on a journey) to hell?

When I heard about another group of heroes running into White, I tracked Kon down. I mean, I'd run into him in the hero scene a few times, but I didn't know him. When he talked to me, he said I really need to talk to Raiken about the Foundation, but won't say what about. Problem is, Raiken's in hell.

Really? Hell? One, doesn't exist. Mind, I believe that she's been taken somewhere, sure, and probably real dangerous. So... I have to help. But something feels bad about this, like... like I shouldn't ask. My ESP's pretty much bottom-barrel and I still feel like I'm making a real bad mistake. But I can't ignore it. With great power comes terrible guilt, you know?

I mean, I'm super-excited to help somebody out in need! Whee! We'll be on an adventure!

pre:
Psion X, the Psychic and Sarcastic Doomed

Look: white girl, steely eyes, medical clothing, containment suit

Danger +2	Freak +1	Savior +1	Superior -1	Mundane +0

Abilities:superhuman strength and speed: "My suit channels my excess power to keep me alive... into power. It lets me venture 
into the outside world, but... sometimes it feels more like a weapon than anything else."
❑ memory manipulation: "My teep is kind of supercharged and goes right past surface thoughts. I can only do deep dives...
don't worry, I only use it for justice. Usually with informed consent. Or justice."
❑ telekinesis: "Oh, the best for last. Except for the strain. It's not too bad unless I push myself, though. Floating is
relaxing, though."

Nemesis

At the end of every session, answer the question: Did you make progress on defeating White? If the answer is yes, mark 
potential. If the answer is no, mark your doom track.

Doom

You’re doomed. What brings your doom closer?

❑ facing danger aloneoverexerting yourself

Whenever you bring your doom closer, mark one box on your doom track.

Doom Track:		❑	❑	❑	❑	❑

Doomsigns

These are abilities that come to you with your approaching doom. Once you have taken all five doomsigns above the line,
you must take “Your doom arrives” the next time your doom track fills.

❑ Bolstered: Mark your doom track to use an Adult Move one time.

Sanctuary

You have a place where you can rest, recover, and reflect upon your powers. Choose and underline three features of your
sanctuary: a containment system, a meditation space, healing equipment.

Choose and underline two downsides of your sanctuary: difficult to access, easily damaged or tampered with.

When you call upon the resources of your sanctuary to solve a problem, say what you want to do. The GM will give you one
to four conditions you must fulfill to complete your solution:

❑ First, you must _______________________.You’ll need help from ___________________.You and your team will risk danger from ______.The best you can do is a lesser version, unreliable and limited.You’ll need to mark one box on your doom track.You’ll have to obtain ___________________.

Team Moves

When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, give them Influence over you and spend 1 Team from the pool to
clear one box on your doom track.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, give them Influence over you and ask if they honestly think
there’s hope for you. If they say yes, mark potential or clear one box of your doom track. If they say no, mark a
condition or mark your doom track

Moment of Truth

The prickly tingling fear of your doom, always in your head—it holds you back most of the time. But right here,
right now? It gives you the confidence to do anything. After all, what’s the worst that could happen? Is it worse
than your doom? Do impossible things. Do anything. But mark a doomsign after you’re finished.
Some assumptions and liberties are taken. Up for changing anything if there's an issue, but I figured the more established ties, the more better.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at Aug 11, 2017 around 16:49

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Gwen Anderson
aka

"Hear you needed a hero?"

Backstory posted:

How did you gain your skills?
Years and years of intense training. See, I used to be a ballerina.

I lived and breathed dance since I was about five. Boston School of Ballet, Julliard Pre-College, I was on the gueling fast-track to stardom. Did you ever have something you knew was bad for you but you couldn't get away from? Dance was like that for me. Loved it. Absolutely adored it. All kinds, ballet especially. It sucked down all my time. It shaped my whole life, took it over, the same way you hear about for child actors or Olympic athletes. I lived dance, I breathed dance, it crowded out everything else from my life. Which was fine, because I loved it.

Maybe I would have sought balance on my own. As it was, I didn't have a lot of a choice, becuase a the ripe old age of fourteen, I blew out my knee. Massively, the full on pins and staples and surgery and everything. It sucked. I mean, as you can tell, I'm fine now, but ballet's a harsh, obnoxious mistress. I was off the bar for two whole years and by that time...well, it's an art that chews up practitioners young, that's no secret. Sixteen and I freaking aged out!

But I had to stay active. I spent my off-years trying to jump to acting - you'd be surprised how many make that leap. Even Audrey Hepburn! I had a half-dozen good stage roles, but it's still tough. I tried to stay fit too, lots of swimming which is easy on the joints. A friend suggested I try archery - it's good upper body without straining my knee. That's pretty awesome and old school. Turns out it's well suited for heroing too, although I didn't plan it that way.

Backstory posted:

Says something that you'd ask that. 'Why do you, silly girl with no powers, try to do this?'. Because how could I not?! The chance to be an actual, real life superhero? Wow!

I've been at it a couple years now - and sure, at the start, it was mostly to prove to myself I could do it. And to everybody else. Now, it's more that I really really love doing good. Inside all that hard work, those crazy moments, there's really cool, amazing stuff that happens. The moment when you snatch a civilian out of danger. When you get to tell a teammate how much they mean to you. Oh, and that time I got to go to the moon. :-) Mostly helping people, though.

Backstory posted:

Who, outside of the team, thinks you shouldn't be a superhero?

Oh, plenty of people, I'm sure. My parents aren't so thrilled. The one that sticks in my craw, though, was Grimoire. Picture a librarian, but super uptight, and magical. When I joined up with the Valkyries, my first super-team, he was one of our trainers, and just had no time for me. Kept calling me a foolish girl, asked what my 'sticks' could do to somebody like him. I really really wanted to just shoot him in the eye sometime. I've crossed paths with him a number of times since, and no matter how much I've done, he's still a dismissive rear end. Probably a sexist too.

Backstory posted:

If I'm honest? Because they're a gateway to adventure. I mean, awesome as I am, I'm still just a chick with a bow. Can't fly, can't shoot lasers from my eyes. How else does a human get to hang out with godlings?

Backstory posted:

When did you first put on your costume?

About six months after the accident. I'd been training a bunch, taken up archery, all really for my own fitness. You see the costumes on TV...well, it puts ideas in your head. Isn't it the ultimate role? It's...glamorous, frankly, and I've always been a performer, of one flavor or another.

I started with some light vigillantism, got Slingshot's attention and some mentoring, and before I knew it, I was a real blown young hero!

The Key Question posted:

How are you getting dragged (on a journey) to hell?

Excessively Catholic parents?

No, no, that's flip. I actually met Styx a while back, through Memorium. He'd been tracking down something called the Eye of Oganesson, this ancient artifact from Sumeria that the Overmage was going to use to....I'm not sure. Something about warping the planet into some kind of fantasy realm? Some serious bullshit. Me, I like hot running water and antibiotics and the Internet. But Overmage is - errr, was - powerful, and Memorium needed to call in backup. That meant that my metor at the time, Slingshot, brought me along. So Styx and I met in the way you meet kids of your parent's friends, I guess. But we got along, she was nice. After the big battle (we won, BTW :-) ) we hung out at the victory party. It wasn't quite fair to her, I leaned on her hard about a rough breakup I'd just been through. Styx was super sweet and supportive - not what I'd have expected from a ghost, at all.

Which meant when she disappeared...well, I haven't sidekicked for Slingshot in a while, but Memorium still has my number and asked for my help. First, I get to help out a fellow young hero, and second, I get to go to the freaking underworld! Sign me up!

quote:

Hero Name: Bravura
Origin: The Beacon
Look: Woman, White, Stylish Clothing, Flashy Costume
Abilities: Acrobatics, Archery & Trick Arrows

Stats:
Freak -1
Danger -1
Savior +2
Superior +1
Mundane +2

Moves:

Straight. Up. Creepin'.
When you scope out a person or place, roll + Mundane. On a 10+, ask 2. O
n a 7-9, ask 1.
  • What happened here recently?
  • What is being concealed here?
  • Who or what here is not what they seem?
  • Whose place is this?
  • What's my best way in/out?
On a miss, you find yourself in over your head. The GM will tell you why
this is a bad spot.

No powers and not nearly enough training
You're always picking up new gear to keep yourself in the game. Whenever
you pick up a new piece of gear, you can write it in as a new ability if this l
ine is empty.
reak to unleash powers with it. When you mark the third box, the gear is used up
, lost, or recovered from you in the process.

Drives:
Choose 4 drives to mark at the start of play. When you fulfill a marked drive, s
trike it out, and choose one: mark potential, clear a condition, take influence
over someone involved. When your 4 marked drives are all struck out, choose and
mark 4 new drives. When all drives are struck out, change playbooks, retire from
the life, or become a paragon.
  • Lead the team successfully in battle
  • Kiss someone dangerous
  • Punch someone you probably shouldn't
  • Help a teammate when they most need you
  • Take down a threat all on your own
  • Show up an adult hero
  • Pull off a ridiculous stunt
  • Save a teammate's life
  • Get drunk or high with a teammate
  • Drive a fantastical vehicle
  • Get a new costume
  • Get a new hero name
  • Earn the respect of a hero you admire
  • Make out with a teammate
  • Punch out a teammate
  • Break up with someone
  • Stop a fight with sense and rationality
  • Tell someone your true feelings for them
  • Travel to an incredible place (or time)
  • Reject someone who tells you “you shouldn't be here”

Platonicsolid fucked around with this message at Aug 11, 2017 around 19:30

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?

Not an app! Reposting Kon's stuff for reference as requested by Sly.

quote:

How did you gain your skills?

Me, I've always been a bit of an active kid. So I run around, get on top of places that I really shouldn't be... get more than a few cuts falling off of high places, yeah? More than a few scoldings from Ma, too. As for not being seen, you know how some people feel like they blend into the background? I'm one of 'em. Heck, there's some absences on my school record 'cause the teachers never realized I was there. It's so uncanny, I thought it was an actual power at first. But, nah. Just not exactly a memorable person.

...The sword? ‘S real, but just for looks. Don't know how to use it beyond stickin’ 'em with the pointy end.

quote:

When did you first put on your costume?

Calling it a costume is... I just grabbed the first thing close by. See, I had just come home after school when I saw on the TV about a hostage situation downtown. Wouldn't have thought much of it, 'cept one of the hostages was a girl I knew from class. Made it a whole lot more real for me. Logic said I should wait for someone with actual powers to do something, but... I just couldn't. If something happened to someone I knew, and I knew I could've done something 'bout it, no way I could've lived with myself. So I snuck in, got her and the other hostages out. Was pretty scary, but I got through it.

quote:

Who, outside of the team, thinks you shouldn’t be a superhero?

Ma and Pa, duh. Logically, they're right to worry, since I don’t got any real powers. Good thing being a hero ain't about logic, eh? It's about guts and heart, and I like to think I've got a bit of both. Big part of their concern, I think, is 'cause of my sister Hana, who’s a superhero too, ‘cept with actual precognition powers. Real proud of her, we are, but compared side by side... I get why they're worried, but it’s fine! Got my team to back me up, and I can always tuck away in some corner and hide away.

quote:

I've always admired Sis, y’know? Seeing her saving lives and kicking bad guy rear end is pretty cool, so being able to stand on something close to equal footing is a nice feeling. Mostly though, it feels... good to do good, yeah? Whole lot of us little guys and gals who need heroes, ‘fraid of the rude dudes out there. Like to think that if I can be a hero, then maybe I'll give some guts and heart to my fellow normies, yeah? ...And, y'know, it's fun.

quote:

'Cause against real tough villies, I can't exactly do much on my own. By myself, I ain't much of a fighter, and you can't go ‘round all your problems in your life. Believe me, I try. So I watch their back, they keep me from getting my mask smashed in. 'S a pretty good trade, yeah?

Questions Below Here

quote:

slydingdoor posted:
Kon
Your skills got you noticed by two women: infiltration caught the eye of the AEGIS recruiter Valerie Weiger, and acrobatics the young thief Qīng Líng, Damselfly. Each invited you to their organization or guild. Which one interests you more and why?

Gotta say, I’m intrigued by Damselfly’s offer. Don’t get me wrong, I ain’t interested in being a thief or nothin’. But she’s got some real slick moves that I could learn from a thing or two from, and honestly, sticking to the shadows is somethin’ I’m good at, not somethin’ I like. ‘S like, being told you’re useful ‘cause no one notices ya isn’t exactly good for the ego, y’know? Glad I’m helpful and all, but still… sometimes, a hero wants to stand out, yeah?

quote:

A hero likes your sister and is trying to get to know you, who are they and what do you think of them?

Sheesh, don’t get me started on this clown. Sorry, I mean, Nines. On account of his whole cat shtick, yeah? ‘Course, with how stuck up the guy can be, wouldn’t be surprised if some folk tried to cut him down to eight or seven, heh. He’s a master of shadows, see, but not like me who just hangs around in ‘em. Warping ‘round, making duplicates of himself, obscuring vision. The works.

‘S a real neat trick he’s got, and real versatile. And he knows it. Oh, does he know it. Often tries to get on my good side too, talking ‘bout how’d good a pair we’d make and yada yada yada. Just, nah. Already got a team I like, and I ain’t helping a prick like that get into Sis’ pants either. Like... ugh.

quote:

You've lurked at the margins of a lot of battles, which adult hero(es) do you think you could show up and why/how?

Much as I wanna say Nines, gotta go with Chevalier here. He’s a kickass duelist, sure, but get him outside of his comfort zone of a one-on-one direct fight, and he ain’t that big of a deal. Plenty of clever villies have run circles ‘round him in the past, and I could do it too if I wanted.

...Probably.

quote:

Which villain(s) do you think you could kiss, why/how?

Bit personal, don’tcha think? Well, not that I’m ashamed to admit that I’m fond of Mastermind, villain she may be. Gal was a supergenius even before she outfitted herself with a supercomputer brain, from what I’ve heard, and anything related to tech is like a plaything to her.

She’s just so… cool, yeah? Being in control all the time, no matter when or where. Know I shouldn’t say this ‘bout a villain, but ya gotta show respect where it’s due. Plus, cyborgs are just awesome! Kinda been wondering if I should get me some cybernetics…

quote:

How did you come by your sword, and why don't you train with it?
What, this? It’s from Kensei, Sis’ mentor. Once word got ‘round about me, he came by to spar and see if I was worth teaching. And, well, I wasn’t. Still, he lent me an old sword of his for practice, told me to find him if I ever feel I’m ready. Thing is, I ain’t real big on violence. Hate seeing people getting hurt, even if some of them maybe deserve it, y’know? I keep it out of respect, but I don’t much plan on using it.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

Welcome, Bravura and Morningstar! Intro stuff will be figured out in the discord.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Slydingdoor posted:

@Platonicsolid you found out something terrible about Slingshot from someone in Hell because of them. How'd it change what you think of them?

Every hero has a regret, I think. You hammer away on the side of good long enough, well, you don't always strike the nail on the head each time, do you? Slingshot didn't. I should have known he didn't, just because of the odds. Still, he's my mentor, it's hard to see him as flawed. That and being a superhero. When I came into Hell...(she said casually as if that weren't a BFD to start)...they say that the souls you meet are drawn by your own 'scent', which is why you'll tend to meet ghosts of family rather than just a lot of randos. Me, I wound up meeting Stormstrike. Slingshot's arch-nemesis.

He'd died probably ten years ago? Everybody had said he killed himself with a lightning bolt during a showdown with Slingshot on the top of Halcyon Tower.

That's...not entirely true. Stormstrike said...that Slingshot hit him with a grounding arrow, electrocuted him and then let him fall off the roof to his death. Which...wow. That's not the Slingshot I know. Sure we wound people sometimes - arrows aren't kids toys - but we're not murderers.

Are we?

Relationships posted:

Luci is awesome, and you take every chance you get to hang out with them.

You’ve got to prove yourself to Styx before you feel like a real hero.

Scrree
Jan 15, 2008

the history of all dead generations,

SlydingDoor posted:

So what I want to know is what ticked you onto realizing she was it and what's changed?

I'm not going to lie, Iscariot essentially figured it out for me.

See, we had met up with Styx and Raiken in hell, and I asked Iscariot if he could sniff out the soul we were originally sent to recover. You know, try to pull a three-for-one against the underworld? But he just looked at me with all his eyes and bumped into Styx. I said no, not her, we already found her, silly! The whole we were meant to save! He bumped into Styx, again, and then I went oh. Oooooooh. Because I finally got it.

At first I was really happy because it meant I hadn't messed up my mission; it was simply impossible from the start! Hah, take that, Gabriel, you're the real screwup for setting me up with this task in the first place! But then I got a little worried. Like, I can't legally go home without Lydia Bristow's soul, but right now her soul is in her body and supposed to be in her body. Taking a soul from it's vessel before the natural time of release is a big no-no for Angels.

At the same time you just know the forces of hell are going to all over her, trying to yank her back in because of that connections she got. If she 'dies' while already in the underworld, then I think they have her for good? I'm not to researched on the bureaucracy of all this, but--

I'm not going to let that happen! And I told Styx as much, right before we got out of hell, "Styx!" I said, "You're never ever, ever, coming back here again. Not on my watch!" Iscariot began to spin in place; which I think means he was either agreeing with me or really mad. It's hard to tell with him. "You'e going to live a completely normal, full human life until you reach the natural end of your vessel, and then I'm going to personally take you up, not down!" I reassured her, "It's pretty good there. I mean, I guess it's my home so I would say that, but like... I guess you'll see, haha."

So what's changed since we got back to the surface? Well, not only am I Morning Star ☀, the angelic hero who strikes down bad humans and saves the good humans, I'm also--

Only Gabriel can officially assign Guardianships of humans, but like, he messed up my mission so I think I get this one? Either way, I'm going to be keeping my eye on Styx and her soul!

Relationships posted:

You’ve been learning about Earth by spending time with Bravura.

Everyone on the team is human. But Bravura is like, human-human. She's told about all kinds of human-things humans do to pass their time on earth. Like, there are people called actors who go on a platform and lie about being other people for a living. I don't really understand, but it's very different from my home, and that's kind of cool!

You have a crush on Raiken but you keep it under wraps.

I got a chance to watch Raiken fight some lessor demons as we were leaving hell. I thought she handled herself very well, for a human, and I couldn't help but noticing that all of her movements were very smooth. And clean. And pretty. She's had a hard life, apparently, and sometimes I've caught myself daydreaming about... Erhm, I'd never ask, of course -- It's so against the rules to have two charges at one time -- but I can't stop myself from thinking that Raiken could use a guardian angel, too...☀

Scrree fucked around with this message at Aug 17, 2017 around 02:18

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

SlydingDoor posted:

You knew you were presumed dead in Halcyon city after White's attack on the Santiago Foundation, but it turns out you are in Hell too. You had to convince Death not to update the records even though they described you as all but a "Theseus's ship." Even your soul has been tinkered with and replaced. How does this revelation that you are more similar to Styx than you thought change your relationship with her?

Hah. I shouldn't even be surprised anymore. It was bad enough when King knew more about me than I did, but this? This is some real poo poo. I'm not really the religious type, which may sound odd when we're walking around with a self-proclaimed angel and we just busted out of Hell, but... Well, I guess I thought that there was one thing that I could count on. That I was still, you know, me. Spiritually, if not physically. I mean, it's one thing to have a body that's been tailor-made to be a perfect weapon. That's something I've been coming to grips with for a while now. Now I'm told that I may not even be Ruri. Just some... I don't even know what. Am I even a person underneath all the cybernetics...?

Sorry, I guess that got a bit introspective. Things with me and Styx? It's... They're fine. It's just... Maybe I'm a bit jealous of her, okay? She talks a big game about being turned into this awful monster, but when push comes to shove and she's in trouble you've got her personal guardian angel coming down to save the day and another lunatic from the Kon school of idiot heroes jumping in without a moment's hesitation. What did I get when I needed help more than anything? A super villain.

Relationships posted:

Luci is your love. You’ve opened up to them about the worst parts of your past.

Whether she's a real angel or not, I'll give her this: She's a drat good listener. I put a brave face on after that whole mess with Death, but even I need some help dealing with it all sometimes. Styx had more than enough of her own poo poo to deal with, what with being pulled into Hell and all, and... Well, I ended up talking to Luci after we made it out. Morning Star, sorry. A lot of it was ground I'd already covered with Styx, but there was everything with Mastermind and White, the confrontation with King, the revelation that I'm apparently just a frankensteined collection of parts...

It means a lot.

Bravura is your rival. They tried to control you at a crucial moment.

Surprising absolutely nobody, Wolfsbane dogged us the whole way through Hell. The girl's got hustle, I'll give her that, but my patience only stretches so far. By the time we were making our way back out I'd had more than enough of her poo poo. Maybe I got a little serious, but from the way Bravura was acting you'd think I was about to blow her into her constituent atoms.

...She wouldn't have had a great day, but she wouldn't have died. I'm not a monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...they shall march out of my laboratory and sweep away every adversary, every creed, every nation, until the very planet is in the loving grip of the Pax Bisonica. And then peace will reign, and the world, and all humanity, shall bow to me in humble gratitude...

quote:

Luci comforted you when you were at your lowest.

Ahahaa, yes...

I guess I sort of was the damsel in despair and distress on this one, weren't I? I mean, I know it was Hell we were in, and also that, sans perhaps Luci herself and that, uhm, let's just say intimidating companion of hers in particular, I'm the one who's supposed to know their way around the nether realms, Hell included (not that I've been there, really, my powers stem from the River), and kinda take a lead you know? It was just a bit of a... hard time for me. My powers had put my friends in danger yet again, I was on the Night Watchers' hunt list yet again, and no end in sight to any of that. It was a bad day for me, suffice it to say, and I was in a bad place. Despondence and some hugging of the knees might have taken place. What? Heh, c'mon now, let a girl have her self-pity okay?

But yes, these are the sorts of times you really delve deep into your inner self and think if heroics is right for you, you know? Are you more trouble than you're worth? Even if you're marginally useful, is it worth putting your friends at massive risk all the time? Like, I mean, maybe I should just retire for a bit? Maybe not forever, but actually learn to become good with my powers, instead of accidentally dragging the few people that care about me into Hell because of my dabbling?

Luci would have none of that though. I mean, I suppose that sort of comes with her lineage (or are angels really angry or grim Soldiers of Light? Do they have, like, castes? Memoriam usually just smiles that mysterious smile of his when I get to the particulars of the angels so I don't know), but I am still continually impressed just by her utter cheerfulness, don't think she's dropped it once since coming to Earth. Sure, she can come off as a bit of a ditz on occasion, but that empathy is real, let me tell you. Lifted me out of my funk like no-one's business, heh.

Thanks Luci!

quote:

Bravura knew you before you changed.

Coincidences huh? They happen! Weird isn't it? See, as you might recall, I was really into acting before my issues started, I mean, I still would be if they'd have me, but I can understand them not wanting me around to gloop up the stage haha. Ehm, anyway, yes, I was into acting, and Bravura was into ballet. And as it happened, I was in this project for a musical adaptation of the Halcyon Swan, yeah (not a lead role or anything, but thanks for asking haha)? It included a ballet piece, so we had a bunch of dancers included for that bit. That's how I met Gwen. We hit off pretty well I think, but ultimately did not really keep in touch afterwards, we had our own circles and all. So it was a bit surprising when we met again, both of us heroes now. We talked a bit, caught up. Heard about her leg, which, you know, was such a real shame, she was so talented! Maybe she took up acting as a substitute due to that project? Ahm but I ramble, thing is, we talked a bit, and she confided in me about some pretty heavy relationship stuff, and I did my best to be there for her you know? Like, sure, I also had my own fresh breakup to deal with, but I just think it's rude to shift attention to yourself when somebody else is confiding in you, you know, so I didn't really mention it back then. I mean, I was already dead, I could deal.

Theantero fucked around with this message at Aug 17, 2017 around 12:33

• Locked thread