Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Wu-Tang Secret
Nov 28, 2004

Delvio posted:

I am honestly surprised that you did not do the intelligence potion loop trick. That one was always my favorite.
I prefer using the top secret spell just because it's a little more controlled. I considered showing off the intelligence potion trick, though. I still could, I guess, as a little side video?

copy posted:

One of my favorite things to do was enchant a ring with constant effect -1 hp/sec, then sell that ring to a merchant. If they don't have a ring on they equip it, eventually die, and then you take all their things, and nobody suspects you of murder. It's the perfect crime.

I never played around with alchemy much when I played it back in the day, but everything I've seen since then demonstrates how stupidly broken it is. I'm excited for this LP to show more many more different ways to break this beautiful game.
I think you'll get charged for murder if there's a witness, but yeah, that's fun. I prefer to just rob them blind with magic, personally, And I have a few more tricks besides just fortifying my own Mercantile that I'll show off in the next update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
Don't forget the Soul Trap bug for infinite summons.

I had tons of fun storming Vivec's room with 240 skeletons.

Ben Carsons Ghost
Oct 27, 2007

I don't have a way to record it but every now and then I restart Skyrim and see how fast I can break the game completely. It's a Potion Of Fortify Restoration loop, if anyone wants I can whip up a huge effort post about it but I'm sure most everyone knows how it works.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Grizzwold posted:

I think the most breaking I ever did with an ES game was making a set of 5 armor pieces in Oblivion that each had 20% chameleon. For anyone unfamiliar with Oblivion, chameleon is a partial invisibility spell but unlike regular invisibility it doesn't break when you interact with a thing. As an effect on armor, it stacks, meaning with all five bits of 20% armor I was completely invisible all the time. It was kind of boring after a while tbh.

For anyone who never did this: it doesn't just make you "invisible", it makes enemies unable to ever notice that you're there. You can punch someone in the face and they'll just enter their "alert" mode for a few minutes.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Did anyone else build pillow forts in the Hulau house the dude was murdered in using the massive cache of pillows you can find in Balmora? :shobon:

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Somewhere out there is a sunken ship full of dozens of pillows as well. I was never able to make a good pillowfort, but I did like building stairways and bridges to nowhere. Morrowind's lack of physics on placed objects let you do some interesting things.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Mountaineer posted:

Somewhere out there is a sunken ship full of dozens of pillows as well. I was never able to make a good pillowfort, but I did like building stairways and bridges to nowhere. Morrowind's lack of physics on placed objects let you do some interesting things.

As I recall, the aforementioned ship has a note hidden in it that mentions that its shipment is bound for that pillow woman in Balmora.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Grizzwold posted:

I love Morrowind but it is extremely hard to get back into after the QoL improvements from newer games.

counterpoint: literally every single aspect of the skyrim user interface

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Soricidus posted:

counterpoint: literally every single aspect of the skyrim user interface
Counter-counterpoint: UI mods. And even the vanilla UI is usable if you just forget about your mouse while using it and browse the menus with WASD.

Still though, I really really miss Morrowind's spellmaking and enchanting fuckery. I never even really made anything broken, just neat fun stuff like a combined fireball+soultrap spell to pick off cliff racer souls with one cast a piece.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

The Wu-Tang Secret posted:

I prefer using the top secret spell just because it's a little more controlled. I considered showing off the intelligence potion trick, though. I still could, I guess, as a little side video?

I think you'll get charged for murder if there's a witness, but yeah, that's fun. I prefer to just rob them blind with magic, personally, And I have a few more tricks besides just fortifying my own Mercantile that I'll show off in the next update.

I obviously did not do this trick enough times. Or I did it just enough times. I regret not playing with telekinesis as much. I'm probably going reinstall and start a run as a jerk alteration/mysticism guy after watching you play. Good stuff dude.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
These dupe bugs in Morrowind have nothing on what you can do in Oblivion with a few scrolls. Basically, any non-quest, non-script item except weapons or armor can be copied infinitely and sprays out of your body onto the ground.

There's also the much more powerful Skull of Corruption dupe bug. Drop the Skull next to a humanoid enemy that fights with melee weapons, then disarm them and take the weapon, and they'll pick up the skull and use it on you. The Skull creates a clone of anything in the game, complete with inventory. If you kill the clone, their corpse takes a second to disappear. They tried locking the inventory of the clone, but you can get around it by saving and reloading right after the clone dies. This gives you a copy of your entire inventory, but with any special scripts stripped out. You can use that to do crazy poo poo like enchant and wear the Amulet of Kings, wear a slightly less powerful version of the Crusader armor with infamy, keep any keys that are supposed to get taken away after quests, or get infinite zero-weight Cure Vampirism potions that can be spammed for instant full health and magic restores.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"

FELD1 posted:

As I recall, the aforementioned ship has a note hidden in it that mentions that its shipment is bound for that pillow woman in Balmora.
And if you bring that note to the woman before you finish her quest, you get a free pillow.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Ben Carsons Ghost posted:

I don't have a way to record it but every now and then I restart Skyrim and see how fast I can break the game completely. It's a Potion Of Fortify Restoration loop, if anyone wants I can whip up a huge effort post about it but I'm sure most everyone knows how it works.
I don't know about that. Only about the fortify alchemy and brewing fortify smithing potions. Same principle, right? :v:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Poil posted:

I don't know about that. Only about the fortify alchemy and brewing fortify smithing potions. Same principle, right? :v:
Basically, enchanted equipment bonuses count as Restoration effects in Skyrim, so Potions of Fortify Restoration will boost a piece of armor's magical effects if active when the thing is equipped. So Fortify Restoration becomes a third step in that loop.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bogart posted:

All I ever figured out when I was a kid playing Oblivion was to make a spell with Charm Person 100, Touch, Duration: one second. Make anybody your friend for long enough to get their stuff cheap.

I made a spell in Oblivion that absorbed health, fatigue, and magicka in a 2 foot radius. It cost just little enough that as long as there was more than one enemy attacking me I could cast it forever and never die.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
I think we can all agree on one thing: Alchemy is the true path to power in the Elder Scrolls series.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
A thread about breaking games? I know the perfect game for this...

Ah, Final Fantasy VIII. When given the task of crafting a successor to the smash hit, Final Fantasy VII, Squaresoft decided that they needed to make something truly different and refreshing. They needed something new. Something with more depth and intrigue than simple weapons and armor, something to make the Materia system look like a bunch of kids playing with marbles...so they produced the horribly unblanaced Junction system! Behold, an RPG with no armor, no accessories, and no actual reason for casting magic spells!

FF8 is completely broken. That doesn't make it a bad game of course, but holy crap. You can wreck the game's difficulty from the very beginning, and in very little time. Naturally that makes it the perfect candidate for a thread about breaking game balance. I'm gonna show you how to massively overpower your characters in very short time, all while employing AI-breaking boss strategies to boot. This LP will not focus on the plot all that much, I'll just show some scenes for context, but if you'd like me to break the plot too, sure, why not!

Update 1: Junction's Function

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

As someone who's never played a Final Fantasy game, they always seem like they were deliberately designed to be essentially incomprehensible.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

As someone who's never played a Final Fantasy game, they always seem like they were deliberately designed to be essentially incomprehensible.

Final Fantasy VIII was the first Final Fantasy game I played after FFIX attracted me to this series. And boy, was FFVIII a mess compared to the relatively simple and straightforward 9th game.

In my first run I hosed myself royally by grinding levels, in my second run I employed tons of game-breaking strategies to breeze through, but ran out of steam halfway through the game and stopped. FFVIII and I are not friends, is what I'm getting at.

Generally speaking, Final Fantasy is a series where you have (on the surface) simple and straightforward JRPGS like I and IX, and then you have completely nutso titles like II and VIII.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Yeah, if you play FFVIII like I did when I was a dumb kid you'll get your rear end handed to you repeatedly and your GFs will even manage to die. But if you know what you're doing there's absolutely no challenge anywhere in the game.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

FF8 is also noteworthy on being one of the easiest final fantasy games to break since 2, and it's a lot simpler to break than 2 was. If you know what to do, it's hard to mess up unless you level too much... which still isn't that big of a deal in the long run.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Ephraim225 posted:

A thread about breaking games? I know the perfect game for this...

Ah, Final Fantasy VIII. When given the task of crafting a successor to the smash hit, Final Fantasy VII, Squaresoft decided that they needed to make something truly different and refreshing. They needed something new. Something with more depth and intrigue than simple weapons and armor, something to make the Materia system look like a bunch of kids playing with marbles...so they produced the horribly unblanaced Junction system! Behold, an RPG with no armor, no accessories, and no actual reason for casting magic spells!

FF8 is completely broken. That doesn't make it a bad game of course, but holy crap. You can wreck the game's difficulty from the very beginning, and in very little time. Naturally that makes it the perfect candidate for a thread about breaking game balance. I'm gonna show you how to massively overpower your characters in very short time, all while employing AI-breaking boss strategies to boot. This LP will not focus on the plot all that much, I'll just show some scenes for context, but if you'd like me to break the plot too, sure, why not!

Update 1: Junction's Function

So, Seifer trick incoming?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Back in 99, my clueless brother was spamming GFs in FF8 for ~500 damage per summon while I was like hitting 1000+ damage per physical attack and having 3000 HP by the first third of Disc 1 after reading Gamefaqs. I think I was the only one in the family who actually completed the game. :v:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Ifrit knowing Shiva may be a reference to FF6, where you fight the two of them together. I don't think this is the only time they reference Ifrit and Shiva knowing each other, but as far as I know, the references are all after FF6.

As far as FF8 goes... it had a lot of interesting ideas/mechanics that just didn't work well together on paper, and I always enjoy seeing it broken over someone's knee.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Tiggum posted:

FF8 in particular does a good job looking more complicated than it actually is. There are tutorials on Junctioning and stuff in the game and they're awful at explaining it.

Fat Samurai posted:

So, Seifer trick incoming?

That's for chicken-wusses.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Ephraim225 posted:

That's for chicken-wusses.
I just want my summons with all their abilities learnt and at level 100, is that so much to ask?

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

I just want my summons with all their abilities learnt and at level 100, is that so much to ask?

Well let's be totally honest, you only have 3 GFs at this point and considering the other trick I've got up my sleeve, they're going to have all of their important abilities by the end of the next mission. I'm kind of going for the (mostly) time-efficient tricks here.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah, It's time consuming, agreed. What I found interesting is that Seifer can, for some reason, trigger his limit break much more often than the other guys, at times almost at full health. It made the battles so much faster.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Seifer's critical health threshold is actually about 70% of his Max HP, just that his name isn't in yellow.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
On the subject of Final Fantasy, someone should do a Let's Break Final Fantasy Tactics and show off stuff like the JP scroll glitch or instantly wiping battlefields with Math Skill.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

Mountaineer posted:

On the subject of Final Fantasy, someone should do a Let's Break Final Fantasy Tactics and show off stuff like the JP scroll glitch or instantly wiping battlefields with Math Skill.

Didn't Orange Fluffy Sheep already do something like that?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

CptWedgie posted:

I think we can all agree on one thing: Alchemy is the true path to power in the Elder Scrolls series.

At least for Skyrim, you at least have to go out of the way to attain 100 Alchemy/Armorer/Enchant and each has a max cap on the effects. Morrowind's Alchemy is straight out broken with a positive feedback to it's own governing stat with no limits.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Actually, the Alchemy -> Enchanting -> Smithing loop can lead to infinite power and steel weapons that can one-shot dragons in Skyrim.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Commander Keene posted:

Actually, the Alchemy -> Enchanting -> Smithing loop can lead to infinite power and steel weapons fists that can one-shot punch dragons in Skyrim.

FTFY

Also if you take it too far you get an overflow and the game crashes because you made a "fortify health 242521486984245851745 points" potion and the game can't deal with those variables

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
And it's really, really easy to do that too.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

double nine posted:

FTFY

Also if you take it too far you get an overflow and the game crashes because you made a "fortify health 242521486984245851745 points" potion and the game can't deal with those variables

due to the exponential nature of the fortify restoration stuff it doesn't even take that much effort to crash your game. I think four or five loops is enough.

A shame I'll never get to swing that 2^32-1 damage sword.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Grizzwold posted:

I think the most breaking I ever did with an ES game was making a set of 5 armor pieces in Oblivion that each had 20% chameleon. For anyone unfamiliar with Oblivion, chameleon is a partial invisibility spell but unlike regular invisibility it doesn't break when you interact with a thing. As an effect on armor, it stacks, meaning with all five bits of 20% armor I was completely invisible all the time. It was kind of boring after a while tbh.

I love Morrowind but it is extremely hard to get back into after the QoL improvements from newer games.

In a crazy min-maxing spellcaster run of Oblivion I discovered that having a 100% Spell Absorption effect active on yourself would result in any spells with Telekinesis effects being partially absorbed and recovering mana from it. At 33 Mysticism you got back the exact cost of the telekinesis effect, and at 100 Mysticism approx. 4-5x the casting cost of the effect. I made a spell that was balanced to deal mixed elemental damage to a target while also recovering its entire casting cost. Due to the order casting and absorption worked, though, you could only use up to half of your total mana to chain-cast the spell. It was pretty awesome.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
Of course since it's Oblivion, you could just complete the first part of the Mage Guild questline then enchant yourself enough armor to get 100% Chameleon.

Actually, that's completely un-fun.

Now, what's fun for me is this:

Update 2: Card Games And Robots

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Ephraim225 posted:

Of course since it's Oblivion, you could just complete the first part of the Mage Guild questline then enchant yourself enough armor to get 100% Chameleon.

Actually, that's completely un-fun.

Now, what's fun for me is this:

Update 2: Card Games And Robots

At least that cover tray glitch isn't as bad as Slots, which let you insta-kill almost anything for two games straight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
I thought I was good at FF8 by beating Omega Weapon with purely physical attacks + no invincibility until I saw somebody did this.

• Locked thread