Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
You know how it goes, you're binge watching a show on some streaming service, and all of a sudden you get to some episode from the 90's and they whole plot is based around this new fancy thing called The Internet.

Or it's a different show from the 2000s and they're talking about some flash in the pan issue like trans-fats or Kony that was a big deal at the time but was forgotten really fast. Or a ripped from the headlines episode of some news story like the Elian Gonzalez case that was huge at the time but was very much tied to the era it happened in.

Or even just a series has an episode about how important it is to vote and they leaned hard into whatever candidates were running the year that it aired.

So what as some episodes of otherwise good TV shows that didn't age well.

Buffy The Vampire Slayer - I Robot... You, Jane.

So there's this new thing called The Internet and somehow Willow got a demon onto it. Between the plot, which is very much this 90's "we need to do an episode about The Internet, and the 90's beige CRTs, this episode really dates itself.

King of the Hill - Lost in MySpace.

Remember when Fox paid a shitload of money of MySpace? Yeah.

Community - App Development and Condiments.

This is more recent, dating to 2014, but the premise being about people being addicted to social media on cell phones. This is already kinda dated and is likely not going the age well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Most modern simpsons episodes become dated as soon as they come out. That's the trouble with taking on current events but getting to the punch months late compared to South Park.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I've been rewatching the first season of Stargate SG-1 and I'd like to nominate all of it. But especially episode four, Emancipation.

stargate.wikia.com posted:

On the seemingly peaceful planet of Simarka, the team encounter a race of Mongol-like Humans whose women have no rights whatsoever. Things turn bad when the team realizes Captain Samantha Carter has been kidnapped and sold to an enemy tribe, led by Turghan and as her teammates search for her, Carter fights to dismantle a series of ground rules on a planet where women are seen as objects instead of human beings.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Fun fact, that episode was written by the same person who wrote Code of Honor, a Star Trek TNG episode with a similar plot where the Enterprise visits the planet of black people.

bagshotrow
Apr 23, 2011

Senior Apprentice

Andra of Clan Gavo

I did not become a D'ni loyalist to make friends, and by the way? I haven't
The episode of the Simpsons where Homer thinks Bart is gay aged pretty badly; Homer's bigotry didn't seem that extreme at the time, but in 2017 he just comes off as a complete bastard.

Now that I think about it, that was 20 years ago, and 20 years before that, the best known TV dad was Archie Bunker

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

That episode of Seinfeld that's all about call waiting seems really this day and age.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

There was an episode of Star Trek TOS where some guy fell in love with an alien gas cloud and Kirk said that a binary gender system was a universal constant, that got a WTF from me the first time I saw it.

e: this came up because the alien gas cloud turned out to be a woman

Ziv Zulander has a new favorite as of 06:35 on Jul 30, 2017

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Beer_Suitcase posted:

That episode of Seinfeld that's all about call waiting seems really this day and age.

So much of Seinfeld's premises would be completely and utterly destroyed by mobile phones.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
A huge number of early Simpsons episodes are reaaaaaally uncomfortably racist.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
A lot of current Simpsons episodes are uncomfortably racist

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Tiggum posted:

I've been rewatching the first season of Stargate SG-1 and I'd like to nominate all of it. But especially episode four, Emancipation.

I didn't know SG-1 visited GBS

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

A lot of Married With Children come off as well as a 30-year-old sitcom would, but 'Requiem for a Dead Barber' comes pretty drat close to being unwatchable with all of the gay panic jokes.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Pick posted:

A huge number of early Simpsons episodes are reaaaaaally uncomfortably racist.

Examples? (Not arguing, just curious)

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Instant Sunrise posted:

So there's this new thing called The Internet and somehow Willow got a demon onto it. Between the plot, which is very much this 90's "we need to do an episode about The Internet, and the 90's beige CRTs, this episode really dates itself.

I can tell when an episode of NCIS was shot by the size of its monitors. Mark Harmon not aging a single effing day doesn't help.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
The 'shemale' episode of Arrested Development. Though I don't think that was even a good joke when it aired.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

The gay jokes in MST3K don't age well. There's a particularly obnoxious one in an episode of The Film Crew where a riffer comments that something is so gay, it's transgender.

Also the whole "repeat unfunny thing until stack overflow causes thing to be funny" schtick going on in the late 90s/early aughts.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

I, Butthole posted:

So much of Seinfeld's premises would be completely and utterly destroyed by mobile phones.

The X-Files is like this too.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Futurama has a lot of throwaway jokes about gay or transgender people that aren't really ok in 2017, as well as the episode where Bender becomes female and essentially acts like a camp drag stereotype.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Not a tv show, but I caught Naked Gun 3 the other night and OJ Simpson's performance is awful, consists of bugging his eyes out and getting spooked bad.

probably the worst thing that guy ever did

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Frasier's a bit of an odd case in that there's a fair few gay and drag jokes that don't really age well, and camp stereotypes- not to mention a running gag of one or both of the brothers being thought to be gay- but also a decent amount of gay characters being treated respectfully, at least as people if not by Frasier. A number of the cast were gay behind the scenes, maybe that contributed?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Tiggum posted:

Not disagreeing, but Emancipation didn't really have far to fall as time went on. It was poo poo when it was made and it remains poo poo.

There are some good episodes in season 1 though. The Nox, Thor's Hammer, the one with the alternate reality mirror, the finale, etc all hold up as decent imho.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJemsVMhEhs&t=423s

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
The entirety of 24 is so tied up in Bush era attitudes towards terrorism that it's really dated now.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Any sitcom that shows the wife as a put upon and more intelligent person than the child like and irresponsible husband because it's been scientifically proven men are better at rational logical thought processes.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

The 'shemale' episode of Arrested Development. Though I don't think that was even a good joke when it aired.

I had the show on in the background the other day and when I heard Maeby tell George Michael that she had told STEVE HOLT that Lindsay was, "a tranny" I had to go back and make sure I'd heard that right. It kind of hosed me up.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
On the gay panic thing I thought Cheers did it fairly interestingly - Diane, to prove a point as she was sick of their bigotry about it, stated that there were two gay dudes in the bar, but kept who it was to herself to watch the other character's self-destruct over it, with all the characters thinking that it was the obvious two guys who were there together were the "offending" couple. However it turned out that the gay guys had actually hid themselves in the panicking crowd, and that they had not been suspected once. Making a good point about why stereotyping is harmful and counterproductive, and that homosexuals are just like everyone else?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Leavemywife posted:

I had the show on in the background the other day and when I heard Maeby tell George Michael that she had told STEVE HOLT that Lindsay was, "a tranny" I had to go back and make sure I'd heard that right. It kind of hosed me up.

Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia sure called "Carmen the Tranny" that way too long.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

muscles like this! posted:

Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia sure called "Carmen the Tranny" that way too long.

Oh, man, I forgot about that character.

Though, on King of the Hill, they had a small joke about it, but that was pretty much just Hank saying one of the bank tellers was "between genders" and was a throwaway line, with no significance or disgust implied.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

muscles like this! posted:

That's the whole point of the show tho?

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

El Estrago Bonito posted:

The X-Files is like this too.

I think the X-files holds up quite well in this regard. Mulder and Scully both have phones and use them all the time, and the writers have to keep inventing reasons why they can't use them - just as modern TV has to.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride

oldpainless posted:

That's the whole point of the show tho?

Sorta, as someone who despises the word, the gang are all small minded bigots who absolutely would use that word.

She wasn't a terribly progressive portrayal but she wasn't really the butt of the jokes, the gang was.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

BioEnchanted posted:

On the gay panic thing I thought Cheers did it fairly interestingly - Diane, to prove a point as she was sick of their bigotry about it, stated that there were two gay dudes in the bar, but kept who it was to herself to watch the other character's self-destruct over it, with all the characters thinking that it was the obvious two guys who were there together were the "offending" couple. However it turned out that the gay guys had actually hid themselves in the panicking crowd, and that they had not been suspected once. Making a good point about why stereotyping is harmful and counterproductive, and that homosexuals are just like everyone else?

That was also a cool episode because Sam basically told his regulars to stop coming in if they had a problem with gay people.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ziv Zulander posted:

There was an episode of Star Trek TOS where some guy fell in love with an alien gas cloud and Kirk said that a binary gender system was a universal constant, that got a WTF from me the first time I saw it.

e: this came up because the alien gas cloud turned out to be a woman

Maybe Kirk was just trying to make Cochrane feel better about being a cloud's object of affection. "Yeah, sure, it's totally normal, dude. Every species has a male and female equivalent." "Actually, Captain-" "Shut UP, Spock."

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Filthy Haiku posted:

Sorta, as someone who despises the word, the gang are all small minded bigots who absolutely would use that word.

She wasn't a terribly progressive portrayal but she wasn't really the butt of the jokes, the gang was.

I've recently rewatched a bunch of the show and noticed that the gang are the only people who treat her as anything but a woman, and even when someone points out that she's trans the universal reaction is "so what?" (or "well punching her just went from abusive to a hate crime, then"). My only criticism is that the poor girl's clearly never learned to tuck.

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.
X-Files "First Person Shooter"

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2O6XKURcxE

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

How I met your mother is terribly dated in this day in age. drat, everyone in that show tally hate people who have sex!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I was listening to a recent episode of Cum Town and they were talking about how "he/she" and "tranny" and the like was viewed as completely fine by TV shows as recently a couple of years ago. Funny how things progress quickly.

In terms of episode concepts that haven't aged well, the episode of Rocko's Modern Life where Rocko tries to date women to get over his neighbor Melba having a boyfriend has a lot of stuff that people don't do anymore. The closest thing we have to dating shows is The Bachelor(ette).

I can't think of anything specific, but many South Park episodes that focused on what was the news event or celebrity of the moment have probably aged badly.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

lmao, I had forgotten how ridiculous the Second Life hype was back in 2008 or so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

That episode was dated from the second it premiered.