Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

FreudianSlippers posted:

A telepathic mutant with forgetfulness powers accidentally erased it from his mind by sneezing.

So did they take him off the registry or what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Side note: There's an X-Men story about a telepathic mutant with forgetfulness powers, and it's unironically amazing.

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/wTnQF

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Hank Scorpio as the villain for the movie would have been a bad idea because he legitimately loved Homer as a person and an employee. He even offered Smithers and his same sex partner full benefits in the early 90s. They would have tainted a brilliant episode by reprising him.

That said, making the EPA a villain in itself is pretty bad.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Buckets posted:

If I remember right, there was a short story where a kid gets a mutant power that disappears all life in a miles wide radius. Professor X sends Wolverine to find the kid and kill him entirely because if the public found out that a mutant caused a mass disappearance then it would make them look bad, which has some hosed up implications if you follow through with the minority analogy.

Edit: reminder to self: read more good.

Like everything about the Ultimates imprint it very desperately wanted to be "this ain't your daddy's comic books" and the creative impetus was just jam as much horniness death and lovely drama into every story they could.

It gave the world Miles Morales Spider Man so it wasn't all bad but it also included the "Sue Richard's estranged milf of a mother shows up and bangs Reed Richards to get him to agree to help her company" which was gross as gently caress even by early 2000s standards.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Detective No. 27 posted:

Hank Scorpio as the villain for the movie would have been a bad idea because he legitimately loved Homer as a person and an employee. He even offered Smithers and his same sex partner full benefits in the early 90s. They would have tainted a brilliant episode by reprising him.

Homer is the villain

I thought that was self evident

It’s like Breaking Bad in that way

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Detective No. 27 posted:

See also: Ghostbusters 2

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Homer is the villain

I thought that was self evident

It’s like Breaking Bad in that way

Nah. Even in the episode, Homer did nothing wrong, which is a feat for him. He was successful at home and at work for once in his life and gave it up for his family's happiness. It's a total tragedy, really.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Yeah, the joke is more that despite Homer becoming a supervillain's henchman in a sinister planned community, the problem is more that the rest of the family simply can't function in that environment. (Lisa's allergies being a bit of an rear end-pull, but as someone who woke up one morning with their eyes on fire I can relate too easily now because allergies literally just do that sometimes)

Might have worked with a different structure; Homer being basically offered a deal with the devil is a pretty standard plot.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Detective No. 27 posted:

Nah. Even in the episode, Homer did nothing wrong, which is a feat for him. He was successful at home and at work for once in his life and gave it up for his family's happiness. It's a total tragedy, really.

I was thinking more of the movie where he dumps toxic waste and then flees to Alaska.

But I guess in the third act he does what White didn’t and fixes all the problems he caused and reunites his family.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

rydiafan posted:

Side note: There's an X-Men story about a telepathic mutant with forgetfulness powers, and it's unironically amazing.

I loving have no idea what's even going on in this. There's way too much Lore in the way of whatever it's trying to say.

I genuinely think the only good standalone superhero comic story I can recall was "Two Dangerous Ideas".

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
So I definitely remember this X-men story where a kid gets his powers and it kills everyone around him, so then Professor X sends Wolverine to kill the kid before people find out about it and drive up fear of mutants. Not sure if any of you have heard of it.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Pick posted:

I loving have no idea what's even going on in this. There's way too much Lore in the way of whatever it's trying to say.

I genuinely think the only good standalone superhero comic story I can recall was "Two Dangerous Ideas".

There's no need to know the lore, the story is told to a kid who doesn't know the lore either. Just accept that it's a comic book world and focus on the dude's story. It really is pretty amazing.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
it's actually insanely smart to have a security system for your mutant school that kills mutants who want to go to mutant school

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
She's not a mutant.

Also it makes more sense if you know the lore around the time where there's basically a clandestine war going on between mutants and humans.

Basically a few of the X-Men got powered up but went insane and created a group that's even more extreme than Magneto after Xavier died.

What's left of the X-Men are barely holding out.

Mokinokaro has a new favorite as of 13:44 on Aug 3, 2020

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Black Bolt's full name is Blackagar Boltagon.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

MariusLecter posted:

Black Bolt's full name is Blackagar Boltagon.

His brother got all the fashion sense in the family though.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Having Hank Scorpio in the Simpsons Movie would have been a huge risk. Yeah he's only been in one episode but if they portrayed the character even slightly wrong they ran the risk of all their hardcore Simpson fans flooding the internet and review sites with their bitching.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

duck trucker posted:

Having Hank Scorpio in the Simpsons Movie would have been a huge risk. Yeah he's only been in one episode but if they portrayed the character even slightly wrong they ran the risk of all their hardcore Simpson fans flooding the internet and review sites with their bitching.

You aren't familiar with Simpsons fans, are you? That was going to happen anyway.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Hank Scorpio would have been the good guy.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I blame hardcore Simpsons fans for the current state of the show. The writers had learned to ignore any viewer feedback by the time the show was genuinely declining because they'd had to put up with self-professed fans unironically claiming "Marge vs the Monorail" as the worst episode ever during the glory days.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

rydiafan posted:

It's... competent, I guess. I'm not amazed though. What is it that's supposed to be so good about it?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Angry Salami posted:

I blame hardcore Simpsons fans for the current state of the show. The writers had learned to ignore any viewer feedback by the time the show was genuinely declining because they'd had to put up with self-professed fans unironically claiming "Marge vs the Monorail" as the worst episode ever during the glory days.

I think the show running around 20 yrs past the point where most shows should, whilst losing every notable writer it ever had might be more influential

El Gallinero Gros has a new favorite as of 15:26 on Aug 3, 2020

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Pick posted:

I think the Astro City short "The Nearness Of You" is a strong contender.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
Someone born at the time I stopped watching the simpsons is old enough to buy alcohol in the U.S., yet the simpsons still runs

Tangent topic I feel this way about Spongebob as well, I stopped watching new episodes around the time the first movie came out because the writing (and animation) just took a really divergent turn compared to the tone and humor of the first several years. I know they didn't pump out episodes anywhere near as regularly as The Simpsons but it's still weird to me that there's like 3 times as many years of spongebob content I havent' seen as what I have seen and actually remember.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

MariusLecter posted:

Hank Scorpio would have been the good guy.

Like I said, a good way woulda been that Hank Scorpio offers Homer and his family the life of their dreams at the expense of the rest of Springfield, and they're tempted but ultimately do the Star Trek the needs of the many thing, and so on.

Could even set up Scorpio as a recurring villain down the line- he strikes me as the type who can understand an employee quitting because they're not happy, or firing one without ill will because they're not suited for the position and considering himself to blame for not doing his due diligence, but holds a REAL grudge for outright betrayal.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Tiggum posted:

It's... competent, I guess. I'm not amazed though. What is it that's supposed to be so good about it?

Well, all art and media will resonate differently depending on the consumer. I found the story amazing because I'm a huge believer in the concept that we die two deaths, one when our body dies and one the last time somebody ever remembers us. Questions like "do we even matter if nobody knows/remembers us" are high on my insomnia list.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Which is why you need to errect a runestone to yourself.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

sweeperbravo posted:

Someone born at the time I stopped watching the simpsons is old enough to buy alcohol in the U.S., yet the simpsons still runs

Tangent topic I feel this way about Spongebob as well, I stopped watching new episodes around the time the first movie came out because the writing (and animation) just took a really divergent turn compared to the tone and humor of the first several years. I know they didn't pump out episodes anywhere near as regularly as The Simpsons but it's still weird to me that there's like 3 times as many years of spongebob content I havent' seen as what I have seen and actually remember.

Younger millennials and the older zoomers can communicate with SpongeBob quotes the way I do with Simpsons but there's a reason almost all of the SpongeBob memes are from the first 2 seasons

E: the same reason the internet is obsessed with steamed hams and not like the one where everyone in Springfield is playing an mmo together

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Push El Burrito posted:

His brother got all the fashion sense in the family though.

PHUO: The failure to implement this costume is the reason why the Inhumans TV series failed, not because it was an obvious attempt by Marvel to work around not having the TV/film rights to X-Men.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

Which is why you need to errect a runestone to yourself.

Sonr er betri
þótt sé síð of alinn
eptir genginn guma
sjaldan bautarsteinar
standa brautu nær
nema reisi niðr at nið

rydiafan posted:

Questions like "do we even matter if nobody knows/remembers us" are high on my insomnia list.

Tonight I’m adrift, conflicted, and in doubt,
I feel like a capsized boat,
and for all I suffer and moan about
I have found no antidote.
But why should I feel so rotten?
In one hundred years all is forgotten.

Alhazred has a new favorite as of 19:16 on Aug 3, 2020

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Like I said, a good way woulda been that Hank Scorpio offers Homer and his family the life of their dreams at the expense of the rest of Springfield, and they're tempted but ultimately do the Star Trek the needs of the many thing, and so on.

Could even set up Scorpio as a recurring villain down the line- he strikes me as the type who can understand an employee quitting because they're not happy, or firing one without ill will because they're not suited for the position and considering himself to blame for not doing his due diligence, but holds a REAL grudge for outright betrayal.

Mr Burns is the one who is always exploiting the town and people tho.

Notice how they never send in the troops to stop Burns's sinister plots. Makes you think.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Blue Moonlight posted:

PHUO: The failure to implement this costume is the reason why the Inhumans TV series failed, not because it was an obvious attempt by Marvel to work around not having the TV/film rights to X-Men.

I do think that’s is kind of a problem. Anime is similar. They have color schemes that work best in a cartoon environment. By trying to both keep the original design and make it realistic you lose out

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

purple death ray posted:

Younger millennials and the older zoomers can communicate with SpongeBob quotes the way I do with Simpsons but there's a reason almost all of the SpongeBob memes are from the first 2 seasons

E: the same reason the internet is obsessed with steamed hams and not like the one where everyone in Springfield is playing an mmo together

One strange case is Ralph's "I'm in danger" which is from 2014 and not even from The Simpsons.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

rydiafan posted:

Well, all art and media will resonate differently depending on the consumer. I found the story amazing because I'm a huge believer in the concept that we die two deaths, one when our body dies and one the last time somebody ever remembers us. Questions like "do we even matter if nobody knows/remembers us" are high on my insomnia list.
Sure, but that comic doesn't seem to do a particularly good job of the subject. It's got a whole lot of extraneous backstory and side characters and the framing device just doesn't really work at all - the analogy is weak and neither character is developed well enough to make up for that. Also there are some really dumb bits, like the two guys wearing garish and extremely recognisable costumes complaining about attracting unwanted attention.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I like "Two Dangerous Ideas" from the 2005 Wildstorm Winter Special because I think it's like 10 pages long total (?) and it has great tonal whiplash. The first "dangerous idea" is punctured with an aloof "heh :smug:" and the second is like.......................... ah. yikes.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Pick posted:

I like "Two Dangerous Ideas" from the 2005 Wildstorm Winter Special because I think it's like 10 pages long total (?) and it has great tonal whiplash. The first "dangerous idea" is punctured with an aloof "heh :smug:" and the second is like.......................... ah. yikes.

Gonna be honest: I just looked it up, and the X-Men story had a greater impact on me than this did. I liked it, but there is always a chance that your partner will leave you doesn't hit me half as hard as your legacy is in the effects you cause because you acted in accordance to your own conscience, not in direct remembrance of you as a person.

Different strokes, I guess.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Speaking of The Simpsons, I guess the episode where Lisa discovers that Jebediah Springfield was a murderous pirate but decides he should still be honored with a statue in the town square didn't age too great. Although I guess some would say his attempted murderer of George Washington is a mark in his favor.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Not super applicable to recent events because Jebediah's secret history is, well, a secret. His statue doesn't glorify piracy because only Lisa, Homer and the Curator know the truth.
Besides, pirates are way less evil than most people who get statues

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

bitterandtwisted posted:

Not super applicable to recent events because Jebediah's secret history is, well, a secret. His statue doesn't glorify piracy because only Lisa, Homer and the Curator know the truth.
Besides, pirates are way less evil than most people who get statues

fortunately there was no Twitter back then for Lisa to get them likes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Those are good points actually, I guess the real mistake of the episode is assuming any of that stuff is actually a secret. 99% of the time people know, but just don't care.