Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Think there’s a big difference about a woman talking about her own experience and iggy pop bragging about raping a kid

Ambitious Spider has a new favorite as of 15:32 on Aug 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I had no problem with the song when I first heard it. 12 year olds have sex. It's a bad idea at best and rape at worst, but it happens. It's a song about sex that's kind of risque and then record scratch at the end.

That said, it's not autobiographical. Liz Phair had a fairly sheltered childhood. It's there for shock value or had some parallel with the Rolling Stones album her Exile in Guyville was supposed to mirror.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Yall just spent the last page calling out every musician in the 70s for preying on young girls and then got mad that someone wrote a song from the experience/perspective of one of the young girls being preyed upon

I googled and Liz Phair would have been 12 in 1979

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Krispy Wafer posted:

I had no problem with the song when I first heard it. 12 year olds have sex. It's a bad idea at best and rape at worst, but it happens. It's a song about sex that's kind of risque and then record scratch at the end.

That said, it's not autobiographical. Liz Phair had a fairly sheltered childhood. It's there for shock value or had some parallel with the Rolling Stones album her Exile in Guyville was supposed to mirror.

Which I knew, but I buggered my post with an inline edit and gave the impression that I didn't. My apologies to all for the confusion.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

This is something relatively recent that shocked me with how poorly it was aged even at the time:

https://twitter.com/ev4ngeIion/status/1290801671182983169?s=20

I wonder if someone on the production was frightened by the number of self-described communists in the 12-18 demographic on twitter and decided to fight back with the best propaganda weapon at their disposal, a middle-aged Ben Savage?

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
i wish i could go back in time and burn every bootstrap between 1776 and now

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

This is something relatively recent that shocked me with how poorly it was aged even at the time:

https://twitter.com/ev4ngeIion/status/1290801671182983169?s=20

I wonder if someone on the production was frightened by the number of self-described communists in the 12-18 demographic on twitter and decided to fight back with the best propaganda weapon at their disposal, a middle-aged Ben Savage?

https://twitter.com/ev4ngeIion/status/1290807197249744897

Also is this that Boy Meets World sequel series?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

AceOfFlames posted:

Yeah, circa 2016.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

AceOfFlames posted:

Yeah it also ended like five years ago so I don’t know why it’s coming back now

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah it also ended like five years ago so I don’t know why it’s coming back now

three years ago, and it's on Disney Plus so teens stuck at home from Covid for months are now going through the dregs of streaming and revisiting it is my guess

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There are probably a fair number of teens who watched the show uncritically as children who are now shocked to see red scare poo poo in something they are nostalgic for, having been radicalized into leftism by twitter/seeing their friends massacred in school shootings/the rise of Trump in the meantime.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Looking through the episode guide that is literally the only episode like that so at least it’s pretty jarring

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

In the 70s you were only legally allowed to write a song about one of the following topics:

1. Dancing
2. CB Radio/Trucking
3. Pederasty

You forgot Ramblin'. So much ramblin' going on in the 70's.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Jedit posted:

Liz Phair had a song on her debut album Exile in Guyville about continually getting hosed and dumped since she was 12. Exile in Guyville routinely enters into "top 100 albums of the 90s" lists, has sold more than half a million copies and enjoyed two anniversary re-releases, most recently in 2018.

Veruca Salt also had a song on their first release that's extremely from the POV of the girl in those types of songs.

Veruca Salt - Spiderman '79 posted:

You're so nice, you tie me in a web
And cradle me 'till dawn
You're so deadly that I can see your breath
Beneath me when you're gone
You're so windy, I'd like to pin you down
And tack you to the wall

Spider Sunday, you blaze up from the south
With oil on your hands
I'm streaked in grease and grime and idle mouths
You've spoiled all my plans

I can't take more of that

Tiny truckstop, you lay me in a towel
And savor me like a lamb
You smell of corduroy and lemon drops
And reds pulled from a can
I dream in black and white
I've long forgot exactly, who I am, am

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Any thriller where an obsessed student seduces their teacher is looking grosser and grosser.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Any thriller where an obsessed student seduces their teacher is looking grosser and grosser.

A few years ago I realized that most Woody Allen movies are about how he has managed to find the one brilliant and sophisticated woman in the world who is his match and also 20 years old, which is just a confession with the women aged up out of high school. I'd imagine it's much the same with a lot of directors hung up on the "seductive woman goes out and ruins the decent family man with her wiles" narrative.

Basically a lot of movies are just The Room with greater technical sophistication.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
In retrospect all those shows and movies from the '90s making light of sexual harassment and allegations of abuse by superiors are super super super gross.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Absurd Alhazred posted:

In retrospect all those shows and movies from the '90s making light of sexual harassment and allegations of abuse by superiors are super super super gross.

Tbf that was a whole century ago

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

A few years ago I realized that most Woody Allen movies are about how he has managed to find the one brilliant and sophisticated woman in the world who is his match and also 20 years old, which is just a confession with the women aged up out of high school. I'd imagine it's much the same with a lot of directors hung up on the "seductive woman goes out and ruins the decent family man with her wiles" narrative.

Basically a lot of movies are just The Room with greater technical sophistication.

Woody Allen made the movie Annie Hall, dated an underage girl he cast in the movie, made the movie Manhattan loosely based off of his relationship with that underage girl, and then tried to date the underage girl he cast for that part.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

rodbeard posted:

Woody Allen made the movie Annie Hall, dated an underage girl he cast in the movie, made the movie Manhattan loosely based off of his relationship with that underage girl, and then tried to date the underage girl he cast for that part.

This guy sounds like some kind of pervert

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I was kinda bummed when The Last Man On Earth got cancelled, but it's probably for the best given the direction this year has taken.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Nameless Pete posted:

I was kinda bummed when The Last Man On Earth got cancelled, but it's probably for the best given the direction this year has taken.

It posits an optimistic world in which Republicans face consequences for failing to respond to a pandemic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSyQvrb-caQ

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Dr Christmas posted:

It posits an optimistic world in which Republicans face consequences for failing to respond to a pandemic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSyQvrb-caQ

Wait I thought Last Man on Earth was the Tim Allen show where he's an angry conservative dad?

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
I think that one is Last Man Standing.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

oldpainless posted:

Tbf that was a whole century ago

So was everything else before 2020.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

They cancelled Last Man On Earth to buy Last Man Standing after ABC cancelled it. I only learned of it when conservatives threw a temper tantrum when it was cancelled after only 7 seasons.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Tim Allen is not just a chud rear end in a top hat but also a horrible narc and the world would be a better place with him gone.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

If I was an author who wanted to write the two worst ideas for a novel then the first would be about a writer's struggle with writer's block, and the second would be about a college professor contemplating adultery with a female student half his age.

There would be no need to write any books praising pedophilia because Xanth already exists.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

If I was an author who wanted to write the two worst ideas for a novel then the first would be about a writer's struggle with writer's block, and the second would be about a college professor contemplating adultery with a female student half his age.

There would be no need to write any books praising pedophilia because Xanth already exists.

combine the first two and make the prof a writer

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I wonder with some of those 60s and 70s stuff about sleeping with underage girls was also the breakdown between rural and city cultures with the birth of the suburbs post World War 2.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Nameless Pete posted:

:same:

The difference is that I find it hilarious, especially since when they show the before times, there's good mask compliance.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

grittyreboot posted:

They cancelled Last Man On Earth to buy Last Man Standing after ABC cancelled it. I only learned of it when conservatives threw a temper tantrum when it was cancelled after only 7 seasons.

See also: The Mick

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

grittyreboot posted:

And the biggest irony is that LMS wasn't cancelled out of "censoring conservatives" but purely business reasons: ABC had cancelled its entire comedy block and wasn't sure where to slot LMS, their contract with 20th Century Fox was about to expire which would cause them to have to shoulder all of the production costs and Allen's contract was up as well, meaning he would definitely ask for a raise. Allen making it about culture war bullshit is either a brilliant move or stupidity paying off.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Iron Crowned posted:

See also: The Mick

The “Monkey Business” bit just about killed me

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Inspector Gesicht posted:

worst ideas for a novel ... a writer's struggle with writer's block

On the other hand, writer's block has given us at least three great movies (Barton Fink, Adaptation., and Seven Psychopaths)

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Eh! Frank posted:

On the other hand, writer's block has given us at least three great movies (Barton Fink, Adaptation., and Seven Psychopaths)

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

combine the first two and make the prof a writer

That’s basically Wonder Boys. Though they had the good sense to have the professor turn down the student that wants to sleep with him.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Promoted Pawn posted:

That’s basically Wonder Boys. Though they had the good sense to have the professor turn down the student that wants to sleep with him.

That's because Michael Chabon is a good writer, wrote the best Spider-Man movie, and unlike at least one of his peers, didn't leave his wife for Natalie Portman

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Ambitious Spider posted:

That's because Michael Chabon is a good writer, wrote the best Spider-Man movie, and unlike at least one of his peers, didn't leave his wife for Natalie Portman

Who, Moby?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Ambitious Spider posted:

Michael Chabon wrote the best Spider-Man movie,

I just double-checked, and he did not, in fact, write Into the Spider Verse.