Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009

Tiggum posted:

What is it we know about real abusers? Super powers aside, the "innocent abuser" seems pretty realistic? It's not like they're saying that makes it OK.

How do you know? I would imagine he actually does.

So? What's your point?

I think I have basically said what I wanted on this. Legion is still pretty new for this thread, so this is kind of a derail.

When I tried reading the Thomas Covenant books, I noped out at the rape scene. I just really resent writers trying to make me sympathize with rapists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

packetmantis posted:

Passengers was one of the creepiest movies I've ever seen and the idea that there are men who would legitimately think that's a romantic thing to do is loving terrifying.

Passengers is one of those movie I will never watch because I know how hosed up and monstrous the central premise is and don't want to sit though 90 minutes of Hollywood telling me how romantic it is.

EDIT: Just checked google, and it's exactly as bad as I thought it would be.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Slowpoke Rodriguez posted:

When I tried reading the Thomas Covenant books, I noped out at the rape scene. I just really resent writers trying to make me sympathize with rapists.

You’ll be pleased to note that he learned his lesson by the time he wrote his ‘Twilight Of The Gods’ knock-off sci fi opus by making the whole first book one unending rape fantasy. The twist is that the rapist actually turns out to be a hero by the end of the series.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Passengers is one of those movie I will never watch because I know how hosed up and monstrous the central premise is and don't want to sit though 90 minutes of Hollywood telling me how romantic it is.

I was vaguely aware of the premise but nothing else, having assumed it's a horror movie for the past few years, and lol was I ever surprised after my own google search!

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Xcom: Chimera Squad came out of nowhere early in the quarantine, and everyone thought “Holy crap, surprise Xcom while we’re stuck at home, cool!” Then not much later, events happened that made the idea of controlling a SWAT team full of Whedonesque quipsters somewhat less appealing.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The movie where several female reviewers wrote about how they had to literally tell male friends why they hated the movie and the men were confused and didn't quite get it.

The ending is also a massive "gently caress you" to women in a very demeaning and manipulative way that was also treated as romantic.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

pentyne posted:

The movie where several female reviewers wrote about how they had to literally tell male friends why they hated the movie and the men were confused and didn't quite get it.

The ending is also a massive "gently caress you" to women in a very demeaning and manipulative way that was also treated as romantic.

I don't know why so many other men didn't get what was hosed up about Passengers. It isn't subtle. Why, oh why didn't they make it a horror movie?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Torquemada posted:

You’ll be pleased to note that he learned his lesson by the time he wrote his ‘Twilight Of The Gods’ knock-off sci fi opus by making the whole first book one unending rape fantasy. The twist is that the rapist actually turns out to be a hero by the end of the series.

The Gap Cycle also had a ton of rape in the first book, and the rapist went on to be a major protagonist. Stephen Donaldson really loves rape in his books.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Passengers would have worked better as a horror movie. Extend the time Chris Pratt's character is alone by a few more years to really make it clear how far his social isolation has unhinged him and then have him snap when she finds out what he did and rejects him so she has to kill him which is also kind of a twisted mercy for him and then use the final moments of the movie to imply that the social isolation is driving her mad too and she might wake up a passenger of her own.

Boom. Easy.

sweet geek swag posted:

I don't know why so many other men didn't get what was hosed up about Passengers. It isn't subtle. Why, oh why didn't they make it a horror movie?

Exactly

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Is that the movie where the guy unfreezes the woman on a space trip dooming her to die alone with him because he thought she was pretty?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

Is that the movie where the guy unfreezes the woman on a space trip dooming her to die alone with him because he thought she was pretty?

Yes.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Solice Kirsk posted:

Personally I think the real villain is whoever signed off on the whole thing without having a protocol in place for "what if someone wakes up early"

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
A lot of trouble for Passengers could have been solved by the writers just saying Jennifer Lawrence was also accidentally thawed out.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

So they basically made The Collector in space, but decided that the dude was the good guy. Odd choice.

edit:
The book The Collector. Didn't know they made a slasher movie with the same name.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

There was also a Frederik Pohl short story about a space captain who is the only awake human on a starship full of cryogenically preserved people who awakens a beautiful naked woman for company. The woman yells at him non stop and he freezes her again. When he arrives, he is immediately arrested and is sentenced to have his brain taken out and be used to pilot another starship.

Oh, and the name of that story? "The Fiend".

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Solice Kirsk posted:

So they basically made The Collector in space, but decided that the dude was the good guy. Odd choice.

edit:
The book The Collector. Didn't know they made a slasher movie with the same name.

It’s actually kind of gross because the narrative actually does acknowledge that he did a terrible thing in waking her up. I honestly think the movie would have been less disturbing if it just ignored the implications of what he did and just framed it as romantic instead of trying to have it both ways.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

AceOfFlames posted:

There was also a Frederik Pohl short story about a space captain who is the only awake human on a starship full of cryogenically preserved people who awakens a beautiful naked woman for company. The woman yells at him non stop and he freezes her again. When he arrives, he is immediately arrested and is sentenced to have his brain taken out and be used to pilot another starship.

Oh, and the name of that story? "The Fiend".

I wanna say there was an EC comic that was Passengers but the guy kept putting women out the airlock when he tired of them after unfreezing.

christmas boots posted:

It’s actually kind of gross because the narrative actually does acknowledge that he did a terrible thing in waking her up. I honestly think the movie would have been less disturbing if it just ignored the implications of what he did and just framed it as romantic instead of trying to have it both ways.

Yeah it's bizarre they didn't see the reaction coming. Every review I read was about how monstrous Chris Pratt's character was.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

It was the next step after twilight and 50 shades in the arms race of "huge shithead dudes who women will still like somehow"

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Gaunab posted:

A lot of trouble for Passengers could have been solved by the writers just saying Jennifer Lawrence was also accidentally thawed out.

But that wouldn't be romantic and show how much he loves her. His ruining her life is an act of true love!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

I wanna say there was an EC comic that was Passengers but the guy kept putting women out the airlock when he tired of them after unfreezing.

IIRC that's what the guy plans to do but it backfires pretty quickly.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

christmas boots posted:

For real, at least then it's like oh, another romance that's kind of grim and dodgy when you actually think about it - which is fairly common for romantic stories in media and isn't good but at least then you can look at it on a sort of 'depictions of hetero romance are generally pretty morally bankrupt and a lot of it's common tropes are very very uncomfortable' level.

The fact they draw attention to it means that on some level, people involved in making it knew that it was hosed up - or that other people would think it was hosed up - and then went ahead and turned it into a straightforward romance anyway.

If they'd gone ahead and just made it a dark psychological thriller it would be a masterpiece, instead of one of the most uncomfortable viewing experiences I've ever had.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

christmas boots posted:

Personally I think the real villain is whoever signed off on the whole thing without having a protocol in place for "what if someone wakes up early"

This would fit right in with a horror take, like make the non-cryo living quarters cramped and uncomfortable thanks to corner cutting and doing the bare minimum to really drive home how miserable the whole experience is.

e: Use Cabinet of Dr. Caligari angles, lean in whole hog, turn the ship into a grotesque parody

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Passengers is such a missed opportunity for a good horror movie. I think Pratt could absolutely play a creepy weirdo and there's about a minute right after she finds out what he did that it looks like it's going to go in that direction before Fishburne shows up and the plot swerves away from really dealing with the character's actions.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

sweet geek swag posted:

But that wouldn't be romantic and show how much he loves her. His ruining her life is an act of true love!

New thread title?

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

christmas boots posted:

Well the bed broke, no one was there to fix it and the dude was broke. The villain was :capitalism:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Passengers feels like there was a better script at some point. It starts with Chris Pratt ending up in a really lovely situation because of random unluckiness and getting hosed over by a faceless corporation, and then making a horrible decision out of desperation and getting caught and having to deal with it... but then Laurence Fishburne shows up and the movie turns into generic action/romance crap.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Pratt is a creepy weirdo in real life already.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Correction: a handsome rich creepy weirdo

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

christmas boots posted:

Passengers would have worked better as a horror movie. Extend the time Chris Pratt's character is alone by a few more years to really make it clear how far his social isolation has unhinged him...
Boom. Easy.

This happened in Allen Steele's Coyote. A space opera wherein one of the passengers of a starship is accidentally awakened during the ship's 230 year journey and is unable to go back into stasis. Worse still was that he wasn't the guy who was supposed to be awakened and the original guy was supposed to go back into stasis if the journey was going as expected.

He does NOT fare well.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Flying Zamboni posted:

Passengers is such a missed opportunity for a good horror movie. I think Pratt could absolutely play a creepy weirdo and there's about a minute right after she finds out what he did that it looks like it's going to go in that direction before Fishburne shows up and the plot swerves away from really dealing with the character's actions.

given how much money he donates to his super homophobic pray-the-gay-away church i agree

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Passengers is even worse then is sounds, gonna go ahead and spoil it since everyone's pretty clear on how bad it is. I made a post way back about it after diving into the details to figure out why it had such a bad female response.

quote:

Not even that, it's all the vids and letters she reads talking about how she's too wrapped up in her professional life and is missing out on the important things i.e have a man who loves her and it's clear that even before waking up the people in her life diminished her accomplishments and life goals since "fall in love, have kids" wasn't the top of her list.

The icing on the cake is that he wakes her up assuming she is heterosexual. If he was a gay man and woke up another man the movie would be some dark horror about the desperation of solitude and how people will inflict horrific consequences on others just so they aren't the only ones suffering.

Either some exec with major power demanded romance in the horror movie, or wanted horror in a romance movie because it reads like someone took two plots and just smashed them together.

It didn't need all the exposition about how JL's character was a dynamic go-getter missing out on the "important" things in life and by joining the mission leaving behind her chance to start a family and be a mother, the only real job a woman should aspire to. Ending with her choosing to give up the spare pod and instead accept and love her abuser is a loving garbage message.

Just a taste of the wildly skewed gender response to the movie

Empire, James Dyer

quote:

Passengers is as surprisingly traditional as it is undeniably effective. A timeless romance wedded to a space-age survival thriller, it may be a curious coupling but Tyldum’s Turing follow-up is a journey well worth taking.

The Telegraph, Rebecca Hawkes

quote:

described the film as not a romance, but "a creepy ode to manipulation", describing the action as a "central act of violence" that is softened and justified

pentyne has a new favorite as of 00:38 on Sep 11, 2020

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

flatluigi posted:

given how much money he donates to his super homophobic pray-the-gay-away church i agree

Oh absolutely. When he starts aging out of the action movie and romance roles he's going to start his own Christian Evangelical personality cult church.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
It’s gotta be the first one. The set up is so perfectly designed for horror that there’s no way it wasn’t the romance that was tacked on

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The script had been floating around for almost a decade and I'm not sure the original ending is any better.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The script had been floating around for almost a decade and I'm not sure the original ending is any better.

Well it certainly implies a lot more incest

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

pentyne posted:

Passengers is even worse then is sounds, gonna go ahead and spoil it since everyone's pretty clear on how bad it is. I made a post way back about it after diving into the details to figure out why it had such a bad female response.

Either some exec with major power demanded romance in the horror movie, or wanted horror in a romance movie because it reads like someone took two plots and just smashed them together.

It didn't need all the exposition about how JL's character was a dynamic go-getter missing out on the "important" things in life and by joining the mission leaving behind her chance to start a family and be a mother, the only real job a woman should aspire to. Ending with her choosing to give up the spare pod and instead accept and love her abuser is a loving garbage message.

Just a taste of the wildly skewed gender response to the movie

Empire, James Dyer

The Telegraph, Rebecca Hawkes

Well now I want to watch The Talented Passenger Ripley

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Passengers Recut as a Horror Movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bmQmCEF-8Q

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
It would have been such a *good* horror movie, too. I'm still kind of baffled as to how so many dudes didn't see what he was doing. Once in a while you realise that there are quite a few men who don't really think of women as, like, *people*, and it's really disquieting.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

For a romance done right might I suggest Twilight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

HopperUK posted:

It would have been such a *good* horror movie, too. I'm still kind of baffled as to how so many dudes didn't see what he was doing. Once in a while you realise that there are quite a few men who don't really think of women as, like, *people*, and it's really disquieting.

It's less severe then that its just so many men have normalized life through their own experience they can't or don't have any ability to emphasize that women face a fundamentally different experience in social and romantic relationships.

It's the whole "I'd be cool with women catcalling me everyday hubba hubba" mentality. They don't actually understand in the slightest the risks and dangers that exist to women.