Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Schubalts posted:

Did the ship not have a setup for a support crew to get unfrozen and refrozen periodically, to make sure that everything is still running?

That is the job of Laurence Fishbourne's character actually, but iirc there's complications with being repeatedly frozen and unfrozen the designers didn't know about that kill him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I posted this in another thread cuz another post reminded me of it, but holy poo poo every single line of this song has aged horribly and with maximal human suffering

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeD8-SnLtwE

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit
When are we going to get a song like this in America:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk_VszbZa_s

We have to close the popaganda gap or we'll all be speaking Russian by this time next year.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

pentyne posted:

And also 40 Days and 40 Nights, where the guy gets 'raped' by his ex-GF so she can win a bet and the whole thing is shown as him cheating on the girl he was interested in and he has to run to her and beg forgiveness and she only 'forgives' him because he proves how special their time was.

For some reason I saw this movie in college, and that whole last act was just excruciating. As I remember it, the guy never even attempts to tell her it was against his will, even though it would explain everything and totally absolve him of wrongdoing. The fact that it wasn't really "treated as" a rape by the movie made it make even less sense for him not to say anything about it.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Sir Lemming posted:

For some reason I saw this movie in college, and that whole last act was just excruciating. As I remember it, the guy never even attempts to tell her it was against his will, even though it would explain everything and totally absolve him of wrongdoing. The fact that it wasn't really "treated as" a rape by the movie made it make even less sense for him not to say anything about it.

him refusing to acknowledge that he was raped the only thing I remember about that movie and it was hosed

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

the product placement in the sales convention episode of the US Office where everyone freaks out that Dunder Mifflin can now sell the Hammermill Paper (exclusive to staples)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

That scene was causing controversy in Hong Kong even back when that movie was first released. Along with jokes about how the movie takes place in a world where china took over everything because the extremely American main character, with the giant american flag in his barn, used a card from the Agricultural Bank of China and drank nothing but Chinese soda.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
That was an honestly embarassing part of the movie. The first half shows the insidiousness of the U.S. military-industrial complex which is all well and good, but as soon as the action shifts to Hong Kong we get an extended scene of hyper-competent professionals in the Chinese government who spring into action. I guess that's the cost of having part of your budget bankrolled by the PRC.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Don Gato posted:

That scene was causing controversy in Hong Kong even back when that movie was first released. Along with jokes about how the movie takes place in a world where china took over everything because the extremely American main character, with the giant american flag in his barn, used a card from the Agricultural Bank of China and drank nothing but Chinese soda.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zz5vEfa7UvI

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

the product placement in the sales convention episode of the US Office where everyone freaks out that Dunder Mifflin can now sell the Hammermill Paper (exclusive to staples)

Wait is that actual product placement and not a joke about how lame office supplies and Staples are?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Don Gato posted:

And he used a LeMobile LeMax2 phone, which I'm probably only the second person in the western hemisphere to have besides Mark Wahlberg in a movie. I'll be surprised if anyone else noticed.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Don Gato posted:

Independence Day 2 had similar stuff where everybody on the Moon base used Chinese products and used QQ to videochat with people.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Disgusting how america, the best country, kowtows to communist China

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Wait is that actual product placement and not a joke about how lame office supplies and Staples are?

Yes that is an actual brand of printer paper (no longer exclusive to staples!) There were like 5 real life different big box office chains Dunder Mifflin was "competing against" but you'll notice they only ever mention staples, especially during season 3. Thats because staples was paying for it. They had to tell the actors to get excited about HAMMERMILL paper.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

My favorite China pandering scene was that bit in The Martian where the Chinese Space Program heroically steps up to help the Americans rescue Matt Damon. I almost started laughing hysterically when I saw that. It would have been extra awkward since I was on an airplane at the time.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

AceOfFlames posted:

My favorite China pandering scene was that bit in The Martian where the Chinese Space Program heroically steps up to help the Americans rescue Matt Damon. I almost started laughing hysterically when I saw that. It would have been extra awkward since I was on an airplane at the time.

That's in the book too, though. It probably had to do with the plot needing an adversarial country with a decent space program, which means China or Russia.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Did come off to me as something that seemed based on realpolitik and China figuring that helping rescue a stranded astronaut would be a massive PR coup, and you see a Chinese astronaut on the next mission in the end as an fairly strongly implied result of such.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

On the other hand, the Coneheads movie from decades ago actually aged surprisingly well - I first watched it a few years ago. It basically involved aliens coming to Earth and being stuck there longer than they wanted to be, so long it takes generations for them to be picked up. They become entrenched in US culture, and most people end up liking them pretty quickly, it's just one government agent who initially obsesses with them because they are undocumented, and even then when he's facing a promotion he is willing to ignore them, the only reason he doesn't is that the person promoting him wants him to finish his outstanding cases first, and they are one of them. The agent doesn't actually care by that point, he's just been given an ultimatum, so has to follow through.

I guess this depends on what you consider "aging well". If anything, this movie is a stark reminder of the radicalization that has happened regarding immigration. Seedling is portrayed as a radical for wanting to build a wall (sorry, electric fence) but even he seems to treat refugees with utmost respect and be utterly dedicated to the letter of the law. At no point is there any demonization of immigrants or hateful rhetoric. As ridiculous and extreme Seedling is, he'd be kicked out of current day ICE for being a "bleeding heart lib".

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

A lot of recent trailers haven't aged well....

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

AceOfFlames posted:

I guess this depends on what you consider "aging well". If anything, this movie is a stark reminder of the radicalization that has happened regarding immigration. Seedling is portrayed as a radical for wanting to build a wall (sorry, electric fence) but even he seems to treat refugees with utmost respect and be utterly dedicated to the letter of the law. At no point is there any demonization of immigrants or hateful rhetoric. As ridiculous and extreme Seedling is, he'd be kicked out of current day ICE for being a "bleeding heart lib".

I was talking to a guy I used to work with the other day about that. I love how he just wants the law followed when it comes to that; even at the end, when Beldar wants a green card, Seedling still wants to do it by the book. Beyond the electric fence, Seedling didn't strike me as a really bad guy.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

AceOfFlames posted:

One of the Iron Man movies has a sub-plot where Tony meets a Chinese surgeon who treats him using acupuncture to remove the shrapnel in his chest but was entirely cut out of the Western release. They handwaved away the 'arc reactor to stop him from dying' plot that had taken up most of the last for three movies for 4 minutes of footage that only a fraction of viewers saw (or could understand as most of it was in Mandarin).

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The Martian wasn't pandering, any more than 2010 or Armageddon was. It's either Russia or China, or you give Europe a big spaceship.

IDR definitely was, though, since China wasn't even in the first one and the world got shellacked in 1996.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

darkwasthenight posted:

One of the Iron Man movies has a sub-plot where Tony meets a Chinese surgeon who treats him using acupuncture to remove the shrapnel in his chest but was entirely cut out of the Western release. They handwaved away the 'arc reactor to stop him from dying' plot that had taken up most of the last for three movies for 4 minutes of footage that only a fraction of viewers saw (or could understand as most of it was in Mandarin).

This one is loving evil. It would be like if a faith healer cured the Hulk and told him that the mmr vaccine caused it and that no children should ever get vaccinated.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I like the part in Ironman where he is trying to protect a shipment of Hammermill products but the Hammermill employees end up protecting him.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I like the stuff that panders to me and dislike the stuff that panders to foreigners

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

CharlestheHammer posted:

I like the stuff that panders to me and dislike the stuff that panders to foreigners

AV/Post.

Leavemywife posted:

I was talking to a guy I used to work with the other day about that. I love how he just wants the law followed when it comes to that; even at the end, when Beldar wants a green card, Seedling still wants to do it by the book. Beyond the electric fence, Seedling didn't strike me as a really bad guy.

Bad guys really like to hide behind that veneer for sure tho.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

CharlestheHammer posted:

Tons of people in China find it pretty laughable and shoehorned in too. It’s all there to hit some PRC government minimums so it can play in Chinese theatres.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Isn't a lot of western stuff in China pre-censored by the companies making it when really the CCP mostly doesn't care unless Han Solo is shouting "FREE HONG KONG, TAIWAN IS INDEPENDENT, END UIGHUR GENOCIDE"

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

Pandering to an authoritarian government who are literally running concentration camps are pretty bad though.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Did the time travel have to be taken out of the last Avengers movie to get it past their review board? I never know how to take stories of their censorship laws, as there always seems to be a strong "those kooky foreigners"/"they're so backwards that they lack freedom of speech" vibe to any discussion of it.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Alhazred posted:

Pandering to an authoritarian government who are literally running concentration camps are pretty bad though.

Yeah, but you have to do that to get the Oklahoma tax breaks.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Alhazred posted:

Yeah I don’t like the fact movies give the US government sloppy blowjobs either.

But thankfully they are domestic and not foreign so they get a pass

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Isn't a lot of western stuff in China pre-censored by the companies making it when really the CCP mostly doesn't care unless Han Solo is shouting "FREE HONG KONG, TAIWAN IS INDEPENDENT, END UIGHUR GENOCIDE"

IIRC it's less about censorship and more that China--trying to make sure that Hollywood doesn't totally displace their own movies--only allows a certain number of foreign films to be screened in a year and those are ways of getting around that restriction.

I could be wrong about a lot of that, I'm working off of a vague memory of something I read a few years back.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Did the time travel have to be taken out of the last Avengers movie to get it past their review board? I never know how to take stories of their censorship laws, as there always seems to be a strong "those kooky foreigners"/"they're so backwards that they lack freedom of speech" vibe to any discussion of it.

The "time travel ban" is apparently not that set in stone and it's mostly meant to stop movies that "disrespect" Chinese history.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
So like, if I were to go back and bang Confucius and give him some Doritos. That kind of disrespect?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

This was the part of the movie I really liked (well, compared to the rest, that was pretty poor) but only because it meant you got a climactic fight in a city that wasn't New York or Generic American City, because I've seen people/robots/monsters thrown through American buildings like a hundred times, so at least it was a nicely different place to have a fight.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

christmas boots posted:

So like, if I were to go back and bang Confucius and give him some Doritos. That kind of disrespect?

There goes my ad idea where some teens go back in time to give Mao a pepsi that gives him the energy to start the revolution.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

CharlestheHammer posted:

It's not quite the same, though. While many U.S. films are propagandistic, especially about the military, plenty of them, especially from the '80s and onwards have had themes of how the government fails its citizens, victimises other countries or is downright corrupt. China can't be depicted that way without having the movie be banned from the largest international market. Like from my post earlier about Transformers, it's silly when the first half is about corrupt government actors and then there's a scene jammed in about the decisive and competent central government coming in to save Hong Kong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

christmas boots posted:

IIRC it's less about censorship and more that China--trying to make sure that Hollywood doesn't totally displace their own movies--only allows a certain number of foreign films to be screened in a year and those are ways of getting around that restriction.

I could be wrong about a lot of that, I'm working off of a vague memory of something I read a few years back.
There's only something like 30 international movies that get in.

It's a massive market so to get in you have to have things like no destruction of key buildings in Transformers or local actors in bit roles and pretty much play it safe.

The Chinese market is also aware that US films could sink their own local market so there was one incident where they had a historical film about Confucius come out at the same time as Avatar.

Knowing that Avatar would eclipse the local production they had it so you could only buy a ticket to Avatar if you showed one for Confucius.
Lots of bins full of discarded tickets.