Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Neito posted:

The 90s in video games definitely barely treaded that line between dark humor and just being an rear end in a top hat, and John "He'll Make You His Bitch" Romero was on the forefront of that.

I thought I'd heard somewhere that John Romero wasn't a huge fan of that campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Leavemywife posted:

I thought I'd heard somewhere that John Romero wasn't a huge fan of that campaign.

Romero tried to pin that ad on Mike Wilson (who has since gone on to be one of the founders of Deveolver Digital) along with some other things and Wilson responded

It does seem that while it was technically not Romero's idea he did not give it any pushback. And he's John loving Romero so it's not like if he said 'no' somebody was going to force him to do it.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Leavemywife posted:

Lol, like he didn’t at least sign off on it.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
A big part of 90s and early 2000s game advertising seemed to be to insult you into buying their game and it worked that's why I bought Sneak King.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Push El Burrito posted:

A big part of 90s and early 2000s game advertising seemed to be to insult you into buying their game and it worked that's why I bought Sneak King.

A remastered Sneak King would probably sell gangbusters now. Or unwrap your whopper for a free digital code?

The burgers sell themselves.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

GoutPatrol posted:

A remastered Sneak King would probably sell gangbusters now. Or unwrap your whopper for a free digital code?

The burgers sell themselves.

Chex Quest > Sneak King

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Push El Burrito posted:

little did they know that 15 years later the negging of the game ad industry would give rise to a generation of pickup artists

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Nintendo cling to their family friendly image but marketing their early consoles towards boys is probably a little responsible for snowballing into the gamer culture of today.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Edit: Wrong thread! Sorry!

Hellblazer187 has a new favorite as of 02:00 on Feb 21, 2021

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

hyperhazard posted:

Letterman never seemed to be enjoying his job, at least by the late 90s/early 00s when I watched. He'd rattle off those Top 10 lists with no pause or comedic timing at all.

Letterman always had an air of “I don’t give a poo poo” from the very beginning. It’s hard to remember, but in the 90s that was considered really cool by a lot of people.

The one thing I always liked about Letterman over Leno was that Leno would schmooze any guest he has, while with Letterman, his utter contempt for certain celebrities was really obvious. But when he was really interested in someone, or really liked a musical guest, it seemed way more genuine.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Nintendo cling to their family friendly image but marketing their early consoles towards boys is probably a little responsible for snowballing into the gamer culture of today.
https://www.polygon.com/features/2013/12/2/5143856/no-girls-allowed

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Letterman was funny but not in a way that made you smile or laugh

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

He’s about as good at this job as I am at mine

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

It's hard to completely blame them, honestly. After all, remember that the counter-marketing to the Game Boy was never 'but what about the Game Girls'. It was always 'but what about the Game MEN'.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

I wonder how much of that was positioning it as a toy (where the market is heavily gendered) to get around retailer's hate for video games post-crash.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Whatever "web designer" made that article look like that should be fired into the sun.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Cleretic posted:

It's hard to completely blame them, honestly. After all, remember that the counter-marketing to the Game Boy was never 'but what about the Game Girls'. It was always 'but what about the Game MEN'.

Well yeah, by the time the Gamecube rolled out they pretty much got pushed out of the toys for boys market.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

https://twitter.com/screaminbutcalm/status/1105577845642878976?s=21

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Neito posted:

I wonder how much of that was positioning it as a toy (where the market is heavily gendered) to get around retailer's hate for video games post-crash.

Not as much as you'd think, unfortunately. The market never really crashed over in Japan, and it was still called the Game Boy over there. We're still talking 80s and 90s, so still a very gendered market regardless.

Perhaps the fact that the gendered part of the name (as well as the aged part) was in English eased that in Japan. The Game Boy very quickly took off in Japan among salarymen as something to play mahjong or the like on while on the train/on lunch breaks, and even a very quick googling will show you some very female-aiming Japanese advertisements for Game Boy games. So in Japan the name never really limited it to the 'boy' demographic.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Nintendo's handhelds always got a more diverse and larger audience than the home consoles, pretty much carrying them through the lean years, and they only lost their stranglehold on that market when mobile games took off. (unfortunately, since they're still literally all trash) Brain Age and all, and I even had a cart of ebooks for the DS.

And I think it's pretty enormously dumb to blame them for 80s/90s heavily gendered marketing, especially since Nintendo's been more ahead of the curve if anything. Zelda series has always been hugely popular with girls and Pokemon seems to be as well.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I feel like Sega advertising in the 90s really laid the groundwork for video games becoming the domain of maladjusted hypermasculinity, especially its choice to anchor the campaign for the Genesis with the message that Nintendo is gay and also for girls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-25xDO5Qc4

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Toshimo posted:

Whatever "web designer" made that article look like that should be fired into the sun.
That's how fancy articles look now get with the times gramps

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Humerus posted:

The thing with Snyder is that his style is very much his style so you either like Snyder or you don't. I loved Man of Steel and BvS, and didn't bother watching Whedon's Justice League because Whedon's style is completely different from Snyder's. With that being said I'm excited for the Snyder Cut because, imo, Whedon was the last person that should have been involved in the DCEU. Trying to make it like the Marvel Cinematic Universe was always going to fail.

:same:

I love Snyder's style. It's very different, and I loved that he was turning the DCEU into high opera with overly dramatic moments (the "Martha" part loving owned IMHO). It was so different from the MCU, and I loved that it was getting the New Gods involved in the storyline (I loving love Kirby's New Gods and the Fourth World). I wish I hadn't watched Justice League. It was such a heartless Frankenstein of a movie with huge tonal shifts from MoS and BvS, and hearing the John Williams and Danny Elfman scores just pulled me out of the movie. I'm super stoked for the Snyder Cut. Seeing clips of Darkseid and Desaad alongside Steppenwolf is so frigging cool.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Good grief, I forgot which thread I was in and didn't realize I quoted a post 10 pages back. Please pay no attention to my excitement.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Letterman was funny when his show started back in the early 80's. That style of humor hadn't really been seen before on talk shows. The few others were all "Did you hear the one about Jimmy Carter and the jelly jar?" jokes in the monologue and occasionally some funny bits. Letterman definitely had some real misses where his absurd random crap just tanked, but he would then take it in stride and then make fun of how bad the bit was. If you were youngish and likely stoned, the show was on more than off.

But, yeah, losing the Tonight Show to Leno really changed him for the worse. He mostly stopped giving a poo poo after that.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I used to see him jogging all the time when I lived in westchester county and the deli staff all thought super highly of him.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

MrUnderbridge posted:

Letterman was funny when his show started back in the early 80's. That style of humor hadn't really been seen before on talk shows. The few others were all "Did you hear the one about Jimmy Carter and the jelly jar?" jokes in the monologue and occasionally some funny bits. Letterman definitely had some real misses where his absurd random crap just tanked, but he would then take it in stride and then make fun of how bad the bit was. If you were youngish and likely stoned, the show was on more than off.

But, yeah, losing the Tonight Show to Leno really changed him for the worse. He mostly stopped giving a poo poo after that.

I do remember seeing a video when he was retiring from the Late Show about how (in the Late Night days, obviously) his sensibilities were, for better or worse, a lot of the same things that got big on Youtube much later. So that probably also contributed to him not making a whole lot of sense as a big deal later on; not only had he stopped giving a poo poo in the interim and so didn't look funny to anyone, but good Letterman just looked like the sort of stuff that was trending on Youtube.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Watched Framing Britney Spears and the way the media handled her did not age well. There's a clip from a talentshow when she was a little girl and the old rear end host asks her if he can be her boyfriend.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Speaking of the 90s and Nintendo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FArjEUhBgP4

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rE1oIhSgTgI

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Alhazred posted:

Watched Framing Britney Spears and the way the media handled her did not age well. There's a clip from a talentshow when she was a little girl and the old rear end host asks her if he can be her boyfriend.

The one that caught me by surprise about how badly it aged compared to how normal it seemed then is when they were asking Justin over and over if he hosed her right after her meltdown.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Taking a risk here, but what do you read into this song that's extra bad? 3eb big song 'Semi-Charmed Life' is about meth addiction shared by the writer and their girlfriend and how it's all crashing now and the writer wants to get out. 'How's it Going to Be' reads like a follow up to 'Semi', the writer is leaving and describing it, and in that last verse wondering about wanting to fall back in, to, with, her - including a total relapse into a methed oblivion.
Did I miss something?

E. :aaaaa: the video?! I forgot the video. I was looking at the video and I somehow forgot to look at the video while looking at it. I was listening to the song :downs:

ThisIsJohnWayne has a new favorite as of 21:52 on Feb 22, 2021

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Alhazred posted:

I saw the clip from an interview where they played a video of a lady saying she wanted to shoot Britney in the head then asked her if she still felt she was a good role model. There's no way she wasn't deeply traumatized by what they did to her. It's so depressing.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Picnic Princess posted:

I saw the clip from an interview where they played a video of a lady saying she wanted to shoot Britney in the head then asked her if she still felt she was a good role model. There's no way she wasn't deeply traumatized by what they did to her. It's so depressing.

Not just a lady, the wife of the governor of Maryland at the time.

https://www.newsweek.com/fact-check-did-former-governors-wife-say-she-wanted-shoot-britney-spears-1567994

quote:

At about 20:17, Ehrlich said:

"...really, if I had an opportunity to shoot Britney Spears, I think I would."

The interview then transitioned to Spears' reaction to the former Maryland first lady's statement.

"Oh, that's horrible, that's really bad," Spears said to Sawyer.

Sawyer replied that Ehrlich's statement is "because of the example for kids and how hard it is to be a parent and keep all of this away from your kids."

Spears then said that Ehrlich's statement is "sad" and that she is not responsible for babysitting her children.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Aged badly because it looks like they're stalking some girl and play a song outside her workplace when they can't get in? I dunno, it's not really made clear who she is.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Sucrose posted:

Aged badly because it looks like they're stalking some girl and play a song outside her workplace when they can't get in? I dunno, it's not really made clear who she is.

I think she stole there instruments, they tried to get them back and then she threw them off the building in the end

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Watching season 2 of You and Chris D'Elia plays a comedian who allegedly creeps on underage girls...like six months before he faced extremely similar allegations in real life.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
He played a pedophile in workaholics

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Method acting claims another victim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Push El Burrito posted:

For what it was, Sneak King was shockingly good.