Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

mind the walrus posted:

"Retarded" was ultimately on that track too but thanks to the dipshits running Rick and Morty literally stopping their show midstream to talk about how awful it is to label retardation a pejorative (and that it's the fault of "powerful people") basically an entire generation of edgy teens see it as loaded and live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOBoKxEcVAA

The real irony here is that Harmon is out as on the spectrum, if Roiland isn't then I'm a monkey's uncle, and they've even gone so far as to imply the character Rick is too. I know that later episodes of this cartoon have tried to gently backpedal empowering the absolute worst types of dudes, but this one in-particular has aged really really badly.

My main problem with Rick and Morty is that it does a really poor job sometimes of making it clear that Rick is the villain of his own story; this is one example. I feel like he's supposed to come across as "Ben Shapiro with a Portal gun" in this case, but it's not framed well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The problem with Rick and morty is the same as the problem with South Park. Namely that it attracts incredibly immature and stupid fans . Like recall that grown adult Rick and morty fans were melting down at McDonald's over that stupid sauce because the TV show told them too. I occasionally watch that show but gently caress me if I'd ever admit it in public or want to talk about it with anyone other than my wife.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Source4Leko posted:

The problem with Rick and morty is the same as the problem with South Park. Namely that it attracts incredibly immature and stupid fans . Like recall that grown adult Rick and morty fans were melting down at McDonald's over that stupid sauce because the TV show told them too. I occasionally watch that show but gently caress me if I'd ever admit it in public or want to talk about it with anyone other than my wife.

I agree but I dunno how these guys can both be that way and tolerate the extremely boring and tiresome family drama parts of the show. Maybe they fast forward it

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Source4Leko posted:

The stupidest part about the whole sauce thing was fans making a big deal about wanting it after literally two jokes in one episode.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
When did Rick and his family start becoming John Wick all the time? I feel like they try to derive humor where the more petty and trivial the thing they’re rampaging over is, the more competent and deadly they become, but it feels like the majority of episodes now.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

muscles like this! posted:

The stupidest part about the whole sauce thing was fans making a big deal about wanting it after literally two jokes in one episode.

It's because those fans actually don't have a personality that isn't defined by the media they consume.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I enjoyed the first two seasons of R&M, but thought s3 was just not as good or funny so haven't got around to s4. Is it better than 3?

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

bitterandtwisted posted:

I enjoyed the first two seasons of R&M, but thought s3 was just not as good or funny so haven't got around to s4. Is it better than 3?

I'd say no, I think it continues the trajectory of 3 tbh.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Season 4 barely catches my attention when it's on and I'm posting.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

It's only on season 4?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I think season 5's first episode just aired.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

rydiafan posted:

I think season 5's first episode just aired.

Mort Dinner Rick Andre, yeah. It had some good moments (Jessica's version of a Tears in the Rain speach followed by "gently caress you I'm a time god" was particularly good, but it did fall heavily into the "Rick abusing Morty is funny" thing they do. Mr. Nimbus was a funny joke character, but with cons coming back, I'm not looking forward to hearing every Pickle Rick shouter screaming it at the top of their lungs.

... At least people stopped screaming "Buttscratcher"....

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

At least two of the people who filmed themselves causing a scene at McDonalds about Rick and Morty sauce later became prominent members of violent fascist organizations.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yea that doesn't surprise me in the least.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I hate how little that sentence surprises me

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

At least two of the people who filmed themselves causing a scene at McDonalds about Rick and Morty sauce later became prominent members of violent fascist organizations.

I hope those Boys are Proud of themselves.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
Yet again, I'm hearing a lot more discussion about 'Rick and Morty' from people who claim to hate it than I do from people who enjoy the show.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

PizzaProwler posted:

Yet again, I'm hearing a lot more discussion about 'Rick and Morty' from people who claim to hate it than I do from people who enjoy the show.

Does it count if I really like the show but think the fanbase should be shoved into a volcano, Sam and Max style?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

PizzaProwler posted:

I really liked the first two seasons and haven't seen the rest, but just because I cancelled cable and not because I made a special effort to give up on it. I don't think the writers are doing anything to court an audience of intolerable bigots and violent fascists and I know they don't want people like that associated with the show.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

PizzaProwler posted:

Good

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
R&M is a funny show, as long as you’re turning your mind off. There’s no valuable lessons to be gleaned from it, and it would be embarrassing to be one of the people who thinks their personality is “R&M.” I suspect some of the more die-hard fans unironically see themselves in Rick and also think they’re smarter than everyone (except without the genius to back it up). In reality, the only comparison between them and Rick is they are emotionally stunted.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Source4Leko posted:

At least the conceit of South Park is that they are dumb kids that occasionally more mature than their parents. And none of the characters are "badass" though as we've talked about it before Cartman usually gets the best lines and by a lot of fans is "right" because he is the funniest character who also occasionally gets to be right.

R&M basically believes that Rick is right, just he shouldn't be such an rear end in a top hat about it. He is essentially Batman and the show goes out of its way to show that he is the smartest on everything and I would argue the views on society and politics are teenage edgelord poo poo but because he is a scientist he assumed to be right and invincible. At least Batman has to struggle with Superman and MOST Batman media shows that in a fight with Supes he would win but at a great cost.

Point is I'd like Rick and Morty a lot more if they made Rick not right all the time.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Our fans *burp* wouldn't like that Morty. They want to see *burp* themselves in me.

I suspect. I've never met a loud n proud R&M fan.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Pretty much the entirety of the latest episode is Rick being a huge baby and getting owned to pieces while everyone else just goes with the flow now.

It's extra funny given he's pretty much confirmed to be a particularly screwed up Reed Richards, and we've finally met his Namor.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Our fans *burp* wouldn't like that Morty. They want to see *burp* themselves in me.

I suspect. I've never met a loud n proud R&M fan.

Jesus I envy you.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
It was a good show for two seasons, interdimensional cable being a particular highlight, and then they got too high on their own farts. Now it's all McDonald's and Wendy's promotions and being friends with Elon Musk.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pretty much the entirety of the latest episode is Rick being a huge baby and getting owned to pieces while everyone else just goes with the flow now.

It's extra funny given he's pretty much confirmed to be a particularly screwed up Reed Richards, and we've finally met his Namor.

As with most things, it was probably funnier when The Venture Bros did it. Never watched R&M, but I think it's a safe bet.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
I adored the show for the first two seasons. It was some of the funniest poo poo I'd seen at the time. Then it got weird when they decided to bring Jerry back into the main cast and I realized that for all the edgelord "pushing the envelope" flaunting, it was terrified of breaking 'the status quo is God' trope and I lost all respect.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Plethora posted:

I adored the show for the first two seasons. It was some of the funniest poo poo I'd seen at the time. Then it got weird when they decided to bring Jerry back into the main cast and I realized that for all the edgelord "pushing the envelope" flaunting, it was terrified of breaking 'the status quo is God' trope and I lost all respect.
The first couple of seasons were decent, but it was pretty quickly evident that it was just "hey let's mash up all these sci-fi premises, sprinkle in some dick jokes and WALLA!" so it was only a matter of time before

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Sunswipe posted:

As with most things, it was probably funnier when The Venture Bros did it. Never watched R&M, but I think it's a safe bet.

I think the Venture Bros. got a lot worse when they moved out of general Gen X Adventure Media ephemera into actually trying to be full-on superhero.

rain dogs
Apr 19, 2020

I like rick and morty it has lasers and aliens thank you

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

The worst part about any popular media is always the fans.
People who think liking Rick and Morty is a personality trait, people who write death threats to actors in Star Wars movies for the crime of playing a woman character with agency, people who go on about how you're not a real fan unless you've memorized the serial number of the ink cartridge from season 3 episode 7.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

There's a great video from Renegade Cut about Rick and Morty:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-8ICfWsUVw

Bob's Burgers, which I've never watched but want to, seems a lot closer to something I'd like than R&M. Its fans also don't seem to be edgy internet types, which is a plus.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Bob's Burgers is cute but also has that Everybody Love Raymond thing where it just feels like a couch cushion fart come to life. It's a show that's way easier to admire than actually like.

londonarbuckle
Feb 23, 2017
Honestly I think like 80% of the reason I like Rick & Morty (or at least the two seasons I watched) is I enjoy listening to Justin Roiland talk in character. He's just really funny at saying stuff, the way he talks.

That's maybe the most brain-dead possible analysis of Rick & Morty's appeal, but I think that's fitting.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

mind the walrus posted:

Bob's Burgers is cute but also has that Everybody Love Raymond thing where it just feels like a couch cushion fart come to life. It's a show that's way easier to admire than actually like.

I actually do like it and I have great taste in everything. I laugh at their jokes and Gene is my favorite character and he accidentally put hot sauce on his ding dong while he was on the toilet.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Plethora posted:

this has definitely changed, there is character growth. the family understands rick is a hosed up loser now. the last couple seasons have been digging into this and the season 5 premiere that just came out has rick being a huge whiner because his nemesis shows up and he's really stressed about it

adult swim put it on youtube if you want to watch it, you don't need to know anything that happened in the last few seasons for this ep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYCEXg4_lCM

Mr. Fall Down Terror has a new favorite as of 19:38 on Jun 24, 2021

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

londonarbuckle posted:

Honestly I think like 80% of the reason I like Rick & Morty (or at least the two seasons I watched) is I enjoy listening to Justin Roiland talk in character. He's just really funny at saying stuff, the way he talks.

That's maybe the most brain-dead possible analysis of Rick & Morty's appeal, but I think that's fitting.

Hey, don't feel bad for liking something for a not-so-deep reason. Think of how many animes have huge fanbases because they make punching things look cool

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

I got maybe 5-10 minutes into the first episode before I gave up on Bob's Burgers. Hearing Sterling Archer's voice coming from Bob was just too drat jarring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Khizan posted:

I got maybe 5-10 minutes into the first episode before I gave up on Bob's Burgers. Hearing Sterling Archer's voice coming from Bob was just too drat jarring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWFLfmPErTQ