Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Khizan posted:

I got maybe 5-10 minutes into the first episode before I gave up on Bob's Burgers. Hearing Sterling Archer's voice coming from Bob was just too drat jarring.

Honestly it took me a while to get used to Coach McGuirk's voice coming from Sterling Archer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I still have trouble hearing Archer's voice come out of H. Jon Benjamin.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

It's pretty weird hearing Can of Pozinsky's Quality Mixed Vegetables voice emanating from human being H. Jon Benjamin

londonarbuckle
Feb 23, 2017
Ben Katz's voice coming out of a children's soccer coach? I just don't buy it!

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Khizan posted:

I got maybe 5-10 minutes into the first episode before I gave up on Bob's Burgers. Hearing Sterling Archer's voice coming from Bob was just too drat jarring.

I still hear him as The Master from Venture Bros, and Bob's Burgers is on like it's 12th season.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

docbeard posted:

Honestly it took me a while to get used to Coach McGuirk's voice coming from Sterling Archer.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who that's the direction the problem was in. Every time he did some spy poo poo all I could think of the 'spaghetti time' joke

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Khizan posted:

How do you feel about Coach McGurk or Ben Katz?

Also--and I'm speaking from personal experience--never discover what Jon Benjamin looks like or the magic will be shattered for you, even if you can already guess exactly what he looks like.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Without Rowland's idiosyncratic delivery there's no way Rick and Morty would've gone beyond that first short about Doc ( Back to the Future (1985 dir. Robert Zemeckis) convincing Marty (Ibid) to suck his aged nutsack.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Also--and I'm speaking from personal experience--never discover what Jon Benjamin looks like or the magic will be shattered for you, even if you can already guess exactly what he looks like.

Too late. That was already ruined for me when he started doing Arby's commercials a couple years back.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

H Jon Benjamin and Patrick Warburton both have great voices and they should do audiobooks

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Len posted:

H Jon Benjamin and Patrick Warburton both have great voices and they should do audiobooks

I mean, Jon already did a jazz album so why not.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Push El Burrito posted:

I mean, Jon already did a jazz album so why not.

welp i know what i'm listening to

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

Len posted:

welp i know what i'm listening to

Goddamn you're in for such an amazing treat I envy your opportunity to hear it with fresh ears so much. It's a Christmas tradition in my house now for some reason.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Benjamin also did the audiobook version of the comedy memoir he wrote.

Although the real perfect audiobook is Matt Berry reading the fictional autobiography of his character Steven Toast.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

Goddamn you're in for such an amazing treat I envy your opportunity to hear it with fresh ears so much. It's a Christmas tradition in my house now for some reason.

i was hoping for more vocal work but that still went places

so did his danger zone cover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUqT4nygMe0

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5c9ELVSCnw

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

muscles like this! posted:

Although the real perfect audiobook is Matt Berry reading the fictional autobiography of his character Steven Toast.

Matt Berry reading anything is the best

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Never watched the show with Ben Katz, but I don't mind Coach McGurk. There was a long time between when I last watched Home Movies and when I first watched Archer, so I didn't really associate the voice with McGurk anymore when I picked up Archer.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also if you've never actually seen Jon Benjamin that means you haven't seen Jon Benjamin Has a Van which means you're really missing out. It was a short lived sketch comedy show he did for Comedy Central.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I watched a few minutes of Rick and Morty once and the constant belching and gurgling made me sick to my stomach. Well that's my opinion bye.

Squashy
Dec 24, 2005

150cc of psilocybinic power

Also if you've never actually seen Jon Benjamin that means you haven't seen Jon Benjamin Has a Van which means you're really missing out. It was a short lived sketch comedy show he did for Comedy Central.

I was salty about H. Jon Benjamin Has a Van because they booted Sports Show with Norm Macdonald for it. I'm pretty sure I was the only person that watched all 9ish episodes

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

packetmantis posted:

I watched a few minutes of Rick and Morty once and the constant belching and gurgling made me sick to my stomach. Well that's my opinion bye.

Same. Can't stand it. Bounced after about two minutes.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Steve Coogan reading the fictional autobiography of Alan Partridge is also phenomenal

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Source4Leko posted:

The problem with Rick and morty is the same as the problem with South Park. Namely that it attracts incredibly immature and stupid fans . Like recall that grown adult Rick and morty fans were melting down at McDonald's over that stupid sauce because the TV show told them too. I occasionally watch that show but gently caress me if I'd ever admit it in public or want to talk about it with anyone other than my wife.

I agree with this 100%.

But not only about Rick and Morty, (which I also think can be a sometimes fun cartoon), but also about many other things. I sadly have terrible taste in everything, and am interested in and enjoy a lot of daggy, niche stuff, (test cricket, pro wrestling, punk music to name a few), and the "fandoms" of these things are full of the worst kinds of people. So if I want to, for example, discuss whether India should pick Jadeja or Sundar as their off spinning all-rounder, I have to have a discussion with obsessed nerdy freaks that can tell me statistics from decades ago. Or if I admit, in polite company, that I know the difference between a german suplex and a huricanrana, then I am immediately branded as being exactly like the "It's still real to me damnit!" guy.

Another relevant point is that whilst I like and enjoy all of this media/pop culture/entertainment etc. none of it is my sole focus and the very basis for my identity. Its the difference between "I am Dave, and I like Test Cricket", and "I am Dave, a Test Cricket fan". If that makes sense. And for the latter, it doesn't really matter what it is, be it Test Cricket, Rick and Morty, Harry Potter, etc. If you are the kind of obsessed nerd to base your entire life on one thing that you consume, then you are going to be an insufferable arsehole. No matter even if that thing itself is actually kinda cool and harmless.

The trouble comes when, as you say, these arseholes take over in the public imagination. So that those of us who just kinda like and enjoy the thing, are afraid to admit it publicly, for fear of being tarred with the same brush as Dave with his horcrux tattoo, daughter named Bellatrix, and who insists on ruining your SuperBowl party by explaining why Snape and Lily was the real love story told over the course of 5 books. If you know what I mean.

edit:

Barry Foster posted:

Steve Coogan reading the fictional autobiography of Alan Partridge is also phenomenal
Nigel Planner also reads the audiobook of Nicholas Craig's fictional autobiography "I, an Actor." and it is very funny.

BrigadierSensible has a new favorite as of 05:49 on Jun 25, 2021

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

packetmantis posted:

If that was the pilot, then it’s massively toned down for the rest of the show. That pilot is utterly unwatchable with the exception of the “I had to build a bomb, Morty” cold open which is still one of the show’s funniest bits to me.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

AceOfFlames posted:

If that was the pilot, then it’s massively toned down for the rest of the show. That pilot is utterly unwatchable with the exception of the “I had to build a bomb, Morty” cold open which is still one of the show’s funniest bits to me.

No, it was an episode that also included child rape.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Squashy posted:

I was salty about H. Jon Benjamin Has a Van because they booted Sports Show with Norm Macdonald for it. I'm pretty sure I was the only person that watched all 9ish episodes

That was during the era when Comedy Central would greenlight just about anything, throw it on the air for a few weeks, then cancel it if it wasn't an instant hit. Truly a bizarre time.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

That was during the era when Comedy Central would greenlight just about anything, throw it on the air for a few weeks, then cancel it if it wasn't an instant hit. Truly a bizarre time.

Now we have Netflix doing that.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

I watched and loved all of those shows. Kelly Turnbull once showed me some of the animation she did for Ugly Americans at a convention.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

not comedy central but I would trade like 100 shows for one more episode of the amazing screw on head

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

And yet they pushed Mind of Mencia for years

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

bobjr posted:

Always funny to remember that Joe Rogan is the one who torpedoed his career.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

bobjr posted:

I will always believe that show largely got made and was allowed to run as long as it did because they needed something to replace Chappelle’s Show when Dave stopped the third season from happening.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

bobjr posted:

Comedy Central had another model which was to pick an up and coming comedian and just allow them to sketch shows for years. Chapelle to Mind of Mencia to Key and Peele to Inside Amy Schumer.

Sadly, Comedy Central is now just a Viacom dumping ground but so goes the media I guess.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Mooseontheloose posted:

Comedy Central had another model which was to pick an up and coming comedian and just allow them to sketch shows for years. Chapelle to Mind of Mencia to Key and Peele to Inside Amy Schumer.

Sadly, Comedy Central is now just a Viacom dumping ground but so goes the media I guess.

As said before, that's Netflix now.

(I think you should leave and Aunty Donna are loving great tho)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Henchman of Santa posted:

Always funny to remember that Joe Rogan is the one who torpedoed his career.

Can I ask what exactly happened there? I don't think we ever even got Mind of Mencia in Australia, so all I really knew was that a bunch of people whose opinions I trust hated him, and then eventually he disappeared.

Our rough equivalent to Comedy Central here was the Comedy Channel. Not a huge player in terms of original content, but it imported South Park, the Daily Show and Colbert Report, every single U.S. late-night talk show, Scrubs, most every stand-up comedy special or variety show... basically every show you'd call a pretty good comedy that wasn't an aged-out sitcom or part of the Simpsons' family of adult animated FOX shows. Its big get in that sphere was Whose Line Is It Anyway; apparently Australian Whose Line reruns were such a ratings constant that, even after every other country had stopped showing it, Laura Hall still mentioned getting decent royalties just from Australia. They had a couple of originals over the years, too; nothing big, but their 'constant enough' attempts to do stand-up shows were good for that scene in Australia.

I was at my parents' place a couple months ago, saw that channel's lineup now, and it's tragic: Seinfeld, Everybody Loves Raymond, Golden Girls, Big Bang Theory. I know why it happened, but it's really sadto see what was once a seminal channel for my comedic tastes and worldview apparently just give up on everyone under forty and become the Broad Sitcoms Rerun Channel.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 16:50 on Jun 25, 2021

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Cleretic posted:

Can I ask what exactly happened there?

Looooooooots of joke theft.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Len posted:

Not an audiobook, but slightly related as it's about burgers...
Patrick Warburton as a narrator for the Cheese and Burger Society:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oM8qCnOnztY

The website is gone, but at least somewhere captured going through all the burgers and Patrick Warburton's wonderful narration of them

rodbeard posted:

I watched and loved all of those shows. Kelly Turnbull once showed me some of the animation she did for Ugly Americans at a convention.

And now I am once more upset we only got two seasons of Ugly Americans. :mad:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Cleretic posted:

Can I ask what exactly happened there? I don't think we ever even got Mind of Mencia in Australia, so all I really knew was that a bunch of people whose opinions I trust hated him, and then eventually he disappeared.
Everybody knew that Mencia had been stealing material for years and Rogan confronted him about it in the middle of a set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Cleretic posted:

I was at my parents' place a couple months ago, saw that channel's lineup now, and it's tragic: Seinfeld, Everybody Loves Raymond, Golden Girls, Big Bang Theory. I know why it happened, but it's really sadto see what was once a seminal channel for my comedic tastes and worldview apparently just give up on everyone under forty and become the Broad Sitcoms Rerun Channel.

To be fair, three of those are critically acclaimed comedy classics that writers and comedians reference to this day. The other of course is Big Bang Theory.