Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Shut up Meg posted:

Where?

(admittedly, I gave up after the first 5 minutes of 'funny' banter.)

Seconded, want the info in a format I can bear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
There's obviously something supernatural about them...in addition to the aforementioned sentient disembodied hand, Fester can make lightbulbs light up in his mouth, they have a cousin who is a walking, squeaking mound of hair, and the kids can apparently do a reenactment of a sword fight from Hamlet and cut each other and be no worse for the wear.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

DrBouvenstein posted:

There's obviously something supernatural about them...in addition to the aforementioned sentient disembodied hand, Fester can make lightbulbs light up in his mouth, they have a cousin who is a walking, squeaking mound of hair, and the kids can apparently do a reenactment of a sword fight from Hamlet and cut each other and be no worse for the wear.

People in real life can do that lightbulb trick.

And it's called Theatrical Blood.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I thought Morticia was a dracula

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Clearly Gomez and, to a lesser extent, the rest of the Addams family generate spooky vibes so powerful they bend the world around them to make it spookier. This, as well as his stupid amount of money, points to his as far as I can remember missing father is Hades, the spooky-ooky god of the underworld and wealth.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Wait is Granny an Addams? I thought she was Morticia's mother.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

HopperUK posted:

Wikipedia posted:

In Charles Addams' original The New Yorker cartoon strips, the character was referred to as Grandma Frump, therefore making her Morticia's mother. For the original television series — as well as The New Addams Family, in which she is named Eudora Addams — her relationship to the family is retconned and she becomes Gomez's mother.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

RBA Starblade posted:

she's implied to be a witch but really she's just turbogoth

HopperUK posted:

it depends, the family members switch around depending on which interpretation it is. sometimes fester is morticia's uncle instead of gomez's brother. iirc in the 90's movies grandma is morticia's mom

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Lurch is also superhumanly strong.

They've always been vaguely supernatural, Thing obviously being supernatural aside.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I always thought Morticia was supernatural and Gomez was just horny as hell for that.

I mean they're both obviously supernaturally horny for each other.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

You all must be nuts if you think this level of expertise at a big box hardware store is remotely believable.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

RBA Starblade posted:

You're thinking of the Munsters

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’m not sure why they still make Addams Family stuff now that Raúl Julia is dead. He wasn’t the original but I don’t think there’s been an actor as perfect for Gomez since.

The man’s eye fell out while he was filming one of the movies and he just put it back in. That’s the most Addams Family poo poo ever.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Ambitious Spider posted:

Season 5's made up serial killer is a little doofy and Brother Mouzone is a little comic booky, but even with some of its flaws it's still the GOAT. Haven't done a rewatch in a few years though. Probably should

Defrauding government to keep municipal services at acceptable level of funding and serial killer having a weird kink are IMHO the lesser bad things.

David Simon simply could not resist the urge to write in that self-insert super-editor who always knew better and went against the stupid managers who did not see the enlightenment of free-form investigative journalism, and focused on something pedestrian like keeping the paper afloat.

Its definitely the collection of the worse writing and lesser ideas of the entire series, but still holds itself together to the finish line, like for example Breaking Bad did.

And unlike shows such as Sons of Anarchy or Dexter in which everyone would be better off if the last season or three didn't actually happen.

Der Kyhe has a new favorite as of 20:29 on Sep 16, 2019

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
The true superpower that the Addams Family has is best summed up in a song...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkAVfsw5xSQ

I challenge you to find a more loving, positive, and supportive family than the Addams in all of reality and fiction

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Der Kyhe posted:

Defrauding government to keep municipal services at acceptable level of funding and serial killer having a weird kink are IMHO the lesser bad things.

David Simon simply could not resist the urge to write in that self-insert super-editor who always knew better and went against the stupid managers who did not see the enlightenment of free-form investigative journalism, and focused on something pedestrian like keeping the paper afloat.

Its definitely the collection of the worse writing and lesser ideas of the entire series, but still holds itself together to the finish line, like for example Breaking Bad did.

And unlike shows such as Sons of Anarchy or Dexter in which everyone would be better off if the last season or three didn't actually happen.

Hey, let the star who has also started dating the actress playing his character's step-sister executive produce. What could go wrong?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Addams Family is the exact opposite of this thread title too because they are still a relevant satire of the lily-white hellscape of American suburbia and how even though they're a bunch of gothy weirdos they are immensely more loving and accepting than what American society deemed to be "normal families".

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Accordion Man posted:

Addams Family is the exact opposite of this thread title too because they are still a relevant satire of the lily-white hellscape of American suburbia and how even though they're a bunch of gothy weirdos they are immensely more loving and accepting than what American society deemed to be "normal families".

That scene in the police station where Gomez is demanding the police arrest Debbie(?) is so great. The viewer obviously knows there is a deadly scenario playing out and the family knows something is very wrong with Debbie alienating Fester from them but Gomez repeating what they know about Debbie marrying Fester, eloping to Hawaii, moving into a mansion and having sex constantly just gets THEM thrown in jail.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Jerry Orbach did the same thing. He played a defense attorney before becoming Lenny Briscoe.

and much later in the series, Jeremy Sisto played a defense attorney in the season finale that preceded the season where he is introduced as one of the lead detectives.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Addams Family Values is such a good film; part of what makes that scene where Gomez is arrested great is because it's the exact experience that people who deal with abusers face: you describe the abuse and it's buried under so much normalcy, everyone treats you like you're the crazy one.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Bogus Adventure posted:

The true superpower that the Addams Family has is best summed up in a song...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkAVfsw5xSQ

I challenge you to find a more loving, positive, and supportive family than the Addams in all of reality and fiction

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bob's Burgers is just a poorer Addams Family with a less horny couple. The AF influence is huge.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

FactsAreUseless posted:

Bob's Burgers is just a poorer Addams Family with a less horny couple. The AF influence is huge.

:agreed:

Although I do love Bob's Burgers, too

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
The Munsters are better than the Addams Family and also unquestionably have super powers

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Addams Family Values is such a good film; part of what makes that scene where Gomez is arrested great is because it's the exact experience that people who deal with abusers face: you describe the abuse and it's buried under so much normalcy, everyone treats you like you're the crazy one.

And the guy who has them arrested is the guy who did Timon's voice in the lion king

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

IIRC, there's a bit about this in the Addams Family broadway show where they realize they don't know who's mother she is, and then just shrug and go 'it doesn't matter, she's family either way!' It's great. :swoon:

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Too bad this upcoming animated Addams film looks like a stinker on par with what Illumination churns out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF-SR2UwGQ8

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The Austin powers movies have aged really bad

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

oldpainless posted:

The first is still kinda charming, the third is awful and very much of it's time.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

oldpainless posted:

Fat Bastard aged poorly from the minute it debuted. The third movie was weird and not great at the time, aging aside.

The first movie on the other hand is a hilarious take on the classic Bond films. All of Austin's 1960s chauvinism is portrayed as completely ridiculous in the modern time of the 1990s.

There are so many little touches to that film I noticed know 20 years later. When shooting guns the bullet sounds occur noticeably later then the muzzle flash which I assume was deliberate.

The No. 2 punchline is also the furthest I've ever seen a comedy go for the sake of a joke. Like a comedy nowadays would make that joke within 5 minutes of that name being used seriously.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

There's the part in the first movie when they're on a tour infiltrating the secret lair, and both their disguises are ridiculous over the top stuff (that probably come from some deleted scene) but as-is the joke is funny but not directly called out.

On the other hand, the second movie has an extended Jerry Springer sequence.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

pentyne posted:

The No. 2 punchline is also the furthest I've ever seen a comedy go for the sake of a joke. Like a comedy nowadays would make that joke within 5 minutes of that name being used seriously.

Pretty much the entire film Dragnet (The eighties one) is in service of setting up the final line/sting. I'd put that at furthest gone for a joke...

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Too bad this upcoming animated Addams film looks like a stinker on par with what Illumination churns out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF-SR2UwGQ8

There's a new comic run starting at I think around the same time that's got some real promise, though.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Re Addams Family superpowers:

I always thought that they lived on the edge of 'actual' magic powers, and could explain all the wierd and wacky and supernatural poo poo that they live with as just being "different' from whitebread America.

For example, Granny wasn't really a witch, she was just a spooky old lady from "the old country" who used the old ways and made weird spooky potions and used traditional medicinal methods from wherever the Addams are from. (Someone said that they are Castillian?) The same way Lurch is inhumanly strong, but that's just presented as being very strong. Cousin It is a hair monster, but that's just him being a weird hairy squeaky voiced midget. etc.

Thing is actually supernatural though, (And I never liked how he became a self ambulatory hand, rather than a hand that came out of a box).

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

oldpainless posted:

More like oldmojoless

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I loved Austin Powers because of the penis jokes.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Swedish Penis Pumps enjoyed a small resurgence following the film, but sales overall remain flaccid.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

The first Austin Powers is a classic, but the sequels provide diminishing returns.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The third one sucked so bad it made you forget Beyoncé was the female lead.

It should have just been that fake Austin Powers movie with John Travolta as Dr. EVIL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Ambiguity's always been a big thing with the Addams Family iirc. Morticia is never stated not to be a vampire, and she's extremely pale, never smiles with her teeth, has cold and clammy skin.

Funny thing is that in the old show, the sets were painted pink because that showed up as properly gloomy in black and white.