Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

credburn posted:

YouTube at least has helpful indications on the scrub bar that tell you the *.*most played*.* section, which is either the thing you're looking for, or there's a shot of cleavage.

Usually the same thing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

PhazonLink posted:

again lol at the incoming dark age when the gated gardens of social media sites or chat apps like discords just close up and delete their stuff.

Waffleimages but for human civilization.

The Onion lost all its most famous pictures this way, including the original Yes! Yes! sicko man.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

I AM GRANDO posted:

Waffleimages but for human civilization.

The Onion lost all its most famous pictures this way, including the original Yes! Yes! sicko man.

wonder if the verge will pay its server bills long enough for people to endlessly requote Jeffery's iconic quote as the lights go out across the internet
https://www.theverge.com/2023/5/8/23713128/something-awful-imgur-download-caper-digital-preservation-photo-hosting

quote:

"Websites promising that they’ll ‘host your images for free’ are never gonna stop running out of money" Jeffery of YOSPOS May 2023

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

the_steve posted:

Gods yes. I remember when I could type into a search engine "How do I do the thing?" and I would get links to websites with articles that clearly said "Here is how to do the thing"

Now I either get 40 minute YouTube videos where the first half is waiting for the person to catch up to the point I managed to figure out on my own, or a dozen content aggregate clickbait sites with endless word counts like "Doing the thing is something many people want to do, but they often have difficulty doing the thing if they do not know how to do the thing. Fortunately, the thing can be done, which is good news for people who want to do the thing, and it's very simply to do the thing, even if you're a first timer at doing the thing."

gently caress yes, I can take in info from reading way quicker than listening to some mumbly nerd who has the only drat video on a specific topic. It also has the benefit of letting me work through steps at my own pace.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Somewhat useful tip: You can click 'view transcript' on those videos now, it's under the description.

It doesn't work on every video and if there's not been captions provided then it'll be the auto-generated ones, but it's cool if you need to pause a tutorial or something.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

pentyne posted:

wonder if the verge will pay its server bills long enough for people to endlessly requote Jeffery's iconic quote as the lights go out across the internet
https://www.theverge.com/2023/5/8/23713128/something-awful-imgur-download-caper-digital-preservation-photo-hosting
Oh so a bunch of my stuff got caught up in imgur wipes.
It's still all there. They still have it on their servers.
If you had the direct link to the image, you could still use something like Telegram's/Discord's pre-caching/in-app loading to view and save the image via those apps.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I was watching a bit of the old The Saint show with Roger Moore, a man who looked as if Pygmalion was about a Ken doll, and at one point, they show his (the character, Simon Templar) car, which has a personalized licence plate, so people in the show know it is his car. And since he's a smarmy git, he has a few cars, and so differentiates them by roman numerals.

This does mean that his first car had the license plate 'STI'.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

credburn posted:

, or there's a shot of cleavage.

link?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

theentireinternet.com?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Schubalts posted:

No different from any random multi-hour documentary.

Unless it's a 3 hour deep dive of a 30 minute episode of a tv show.

Hbomberguy's latest longform essay video about plagiarism on youtube is 3hr 51m long and it doesn't get to the actual main topic of the essay until 1hr 50m in, lol. He also posted a supplementary 20m video of extra material on his second channel and another youtuber posted yet another supplementary video which is 1hr 42m long, which brings the total to 5 hr 53m if you want to consume the entire saga. There's also a LOT of other youtube videos about the shitstorm that was kicked off after these vids went public, and the target of the original video also posted some stuff which was subsequently deleted

A heck of a lot of people tuned in for it though, HB's big video has so far racked up over 16 million views and the two supplementary video are almost 3 million and 2 million views respectively, and they've actually made a measurable change to youtube culture. A fairly major youtuber was outed as a serial plagiarist and liar and that guy's career and multi-million dollar business immediately went up in smoke, and he deleted every video on his channel and closed down his Patreon and other socials, and every other youtube essayist has suddenly started being very thorough in citing all their sources. :v:

I'd also strongly recommend that big 3h51m video if anyone has an interest in meta trends in online culture, or the depiction of LGBTQ+ history & culture online, or the schadenfreude of watching a lovely plagiarist's career get destroyed right before your eyes

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/thisiselliz/status/1761225640140062761

These lyrics were never aging well but yikes

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

I don't know if this person can sing, but I wager it sounds better than what happened after they warped it around with a computer.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

thanks, credburn

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

Maybe someone would have stopped him, but nobody could understand him under all that autotune.

Also, "I exchange v-cards with the [r word]s" is a "She blow that dick like a cello"-tier sexual metaphor lyric. How many v-cards does he have? Is he collecting them?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Also note that Miley Cyrus was 16 years old when that song was released

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also note that Miley Cyrus was 16 years old when that song was released

3 years? What a gentlemen.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Shwoo posted:

"She blow that dick like a cello"-tier sexual metaphor lyric.

How do you blow (or suck, I guess) a cello...?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

credburn posted:

Practice, man. Practice.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

You need the right em-bow-chure.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

credburn posted:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

....Squidward played clarinet

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
but play my dick like a cello is right there, Mr. Lil

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Crowd probably goes mad for that line now, lol

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
She bow that dick like a cello

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Woolie Wool posted:

Anything I personally don't like is evil and must be destroyed, in this 4000 word meltdown I

As long as your meltdown is available in text format so that I can ctrl+f the part I'm interested in, I'm not watching a 40 minute video on it

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

She blow that dick like some bellows. This was also available.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
We couldn't convince these people that Mick Jagger is neither conventionally good looking nor known for his dancing, what makes you think there's any headway to be made here?

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

nor known for his dancing

https://youtu.be/kdqMFxDyLMI

:colbert:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

theironjef posted:

Opens up bonus "organ" puns. You can really pull out all the stops.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

theironjef posted:

When sounding no longer quite cuts it

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

credburn posted:

This is such a beautiful encapsulation of Internet humor specifically in 2004, though. Oh my God, I've never seen this comic but it feels so nostalgic

this makes me think of like 1999 penny-arcade

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I'm sorry for the necro post but I want to say thank you for this.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Brawnfire posted:

Opens up bonus "organ" puns. You can really pull out all the stops.

From a week ago but just seeing it tonight.

All I gotta say is :perfect:

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I remember reading about Turn On as a kid, the ABC sketch comedy show that was canceled after a single episode.

It's been uploaded to YouTube before, but I hadn't seen more than a single clip until now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDpum0Jp7Gw

A second, unaired episode is also on YouTube. I haven't attempted any of it.

I only watched 10 minutes, but Turn On doesn't seem completely awful. It's too rapid fire. Some of the skits deserve more than a couple of lines and there isn't any room for anything to breathe. I'm surprised that a decent amount of jokes are hitting. Plenty are of the era and thus fit the thread.

It's not great TV, but there was potential.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I only watched 10 minutes, but Turn On doesn't seem completely awful. It's too rapid fire. Some of the skits deserve more than a couple of lines and there isn't any room for anything to breathe. I'm surprised that a decent amount of jokes are hitting. Plenty are of the era and thus fit the thread.

Yeah for years it was the great lost mystery of TV, and now here it is. Gotta say I'm not disappointed, in that it's a hauntological nightmare, the white limbo sets, moog noises, crash zooming and grotesque makeup. Just as weird as promised.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I remember reading about Turn On as a kid, the ABC sketch comedy show that was canceled after a single episode.

It's been uploaded to YouTube before, but I hadn't seen more than a single clip until now.

I have no idea why, but this reminded me of Square1, I think it used to be on PBS way the hell back. But yeah, educational kid shows, but I remember one was a sketch called Nobody's Inn, where the hotel owner keeps explaining to people the grammar behind the name and that he's saying the name of the business, not that nobody is in.

And one that was like a crime procedural, but all the cases were solved with math.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Mathnet

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Mathnet was great.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I'd actually say this has aged well in that it feels ahead of its time. At the very least I think if it aired today it would last more than one episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

the_steve posted:

I have no idea why, but this reminded me of Square1, I think it used to be on PBS way the hell back. But yeah, educational kid shows, but I remember one was a sketch called Nobody's Inn, where the hotel owner keeps explaining to people the grammar behind the name and that he's saying the name of the business, not that nobody is in.

And one that was like a crime procedural, but all the cases were solved with math.

In some sense it’s probably all derivative of Laugh In or another of the more popular rapid-fire sketch variety shows from that era. Certainly the people making Square One would have watched those shows when they were young.