Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Never underestimate the lengths someone will go to commit genocide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
On a more frivolous note:

Arrested Development seasons 1-3

Simply because Portia De Rossi has had at least 2 new faces since then

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

spog posted:

On a more frivolous note:

Arrested Development seasons 1-3

Simply because Portia De Rossi has had at least 2 new faces since then

My wife and I are rewatching Arrested Development now. For all the poo poo season 4 got, holy Christ at least it didn't have anything like a Rita plotline.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Yeah, I have a bit of a set of rose-tinted glasses when it comes to Arrested Development, because each subsequent rewatch reveals a lot of really weird, sort of gross, and fairly outdated humor. Especially season 3, in which I think literally everybody gave up.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

SpacePig posted:

Yeah, I have a bit of a set of rose-tinted glasses when it comes to Arrested Development, because each subsequent rewatch reveals a lot of really weird, sort of gross, and fairly outdated humor. Especially season 3, in which I think literally everybody gave up.

Likewise. I'll give it a huge amount of slack as a) it's really funny and b) they are supposed to be terrible people.

But even at the time, this plotline made me say 'wait, how old are they supposed to be? This is not right'

E: 35/17.....ewww

spog has a new favorite as of 15:39 on Mar 28, 2018

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

spog posted:

Likewise. I'll give it a huge amount of slack as a) it's really funny and b) they are supposed to be terrible people.

But even at the time, this plotline made me say 'wait, how old are they supposed to be? This is not right'

Gob being with an 18-year-old is creepy, but then again, Gob always was pervy.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

spog posted:

George Michael is college age in season 4 so I figured Egg was too

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Henchman of Santa posted:

Who?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Plain

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Henchman of Santa posted:

I actually went and looked this up, because I was also going to make the point that GOB was taking advantage of a sheltered pastor's daughter, but this actually also started in season 3, which I had completely forgotten about. Pretty sure George Michael was still in high school at that point, even if they were supposed to be 18.

As Ann as the nose on Plain's face.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Chloe from Smallville apparently was one of the head honchos of a sex slave cult that blackmailed and branded women, so, uh, that's going to be a weird show to go back to.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

SpacePig posted:

I actually went and looked this up, because I was also going to make the point that GOB was taking advantage of a sheltered pastor's daughter, but this actually also started in season 3, which I had completely forgotten about. Pretty sure George Michael was still in high school at that point, even if they were supposed to be 18.

She literally says "Plus I'm 18 now" when George Michael finds him on Gob's yacht.

"I'm 18 now and we haven't done anything."
Gob: "Well, practically nothing."

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

food court bailiff posted:

Chloe from Smallville apparently was one of the head honchos of a sex slave cult that blackmailed and branded women, so, uh, that's going to be a weird show to go back to.

Apparently Nicki Clyne requested that her character be written out of Battlestar Galactica so that she could join the cult full time. I am really looking forward to finding out just how much of the Vancouver film industry was involved with NXIVM.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

lavaca posted:

Apparently Nicki Clyne requested that her character be written out of Battlestar Galactica so that she could join the cult full time.

Opening lines in her Wikipedia page had me :stare:

quote:

Nicki Clyne (born February 11, 1983) is a Canadian actress. She played Cally Henderson Tyrol on the Sci-Fi Channel television program Battlestar Galactica. She is also known for being one of the personal sex-slaves of Keith Raniere, an alleged cult leader.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Wow, thats one hell of an opener.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Jeez Louise. I just looked up Clyne to refresh myself on which BSG character she was, and that 2011 photo on Wikipedia fits right in with the allegations that that crazy sex cult guru starved his slaves because he had a thing for skinny women.

And Chloe was one of the best points of Smallville (faint praise, I know). I gave up on that show somewhere mid run when Lana got a tattoo that made her a possessed by a Chinese ninja witch or some poo poo, but my husband powered through to the very end. I used to joke that he had some bizarre variety of Stockholm syndrome. That's a bit less funny, now, thinking about Mack being an actual cult victim.

I hope they both get help. :(

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

And Chloe was one of the best points of Smallville (faint praise, I know). I gave up on that show somewhere mid run when Lana got a tattoo that made her a possessed by a Chinese ninja witch or some poo poo, but my husband powered through to the very end. I used to joke that he had some bizarre variety of Stockholm syndrome. That's a bit less funny, now, thinking about Mack being an actual cult victim.

I hope they both get help. :(

I didn't make it past season 3. I was pretty excited for the show; I remember seeing a billboard for it in spring of 2001. The monster of the week stuff started off fine. But then just go to Wikipedia and read the episode descriptions. Like you say, every other episode has a vampire, or a native American werewolf, or somebody being possessed, or Clark infecting himself with red kryptonite, or killer bees. And Lex would discover Clark's secret, but then turn out to be a clone double or something. I've watched soap operas with 'imaginary' characters that made more sense.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
Wow, Linda Evans too :( My next monthly viewing of Mitchell will be extra weird, now.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

AvesPKS posted:

I didn't make it past season 3. I was pretty excited for the show; I remember seeing a billboard for it in spring of 2001. The monster of the week stuff started off fine. But then just go to Wikipedia and read the episode descriptions. Like you say, every other episode has a vampire, or a native American werewolf, or somebody being possessed, or Clark infecting himself with red kryptonite, or killer bees. And Lex would discover Clark's secret, but then turn out to be a clone double or something. I've watched soap operas with 'imaginary' characters that made more sense.

All fictional characters are 'imaginary' Aves.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

AvesPKS posted:

Yeah, you gave up while the going was good --- smart move. It really did turn into the worst soap opera ever, and I say this as someone who inadvertently got hooked on watching All My Children while recovering from an illness back in the early 90s. (Fun fact: I never got into Buffy because I hated Sarah Michelle Gellar's character on AMC so much. Just couldn't see her as anything but that loving brat Bianca Kane.)

Sad thing is, when they brought in new writers at the very end, there were some choice episodes if you're a big ol DC nerd like me. But it was still a matter of "so Doomsday is an EMT... Uh, okay, wake me up when you get to the one with Booster Gold."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
To be fair, that all sounds pretty much like the Silver Age.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

FreshFeesh posted:

Opening lines in her Wikipedia page had me :stare:

:stonklol:

I almost hope that Nicholas Brendon getting arrested for assault up here a few years ago had something to do with it, as well. Just to add more genre TV madness to the mix.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

fruit on the bottom posted:

I know. She’s Canadian?!

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I haven't read about nxivm in years. I can't believe it took this long for that guy to get arrested. It's why Kristen Kruek disappeared off the face of the Earth too.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Why are so many Canadian actresses willing to go into the bad end of sex slavery?

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

VanSandman posted:

Why are so many Canadian actresses willing to go into the bad end of sex slavery?

Answer option one: They're just too polite to say no.
Answer option two: There's a "good end" of sex slavery?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

rodbeard posted:

I haven't read about nxivm in years. I can't believe it took this long for that guy to get arrested. It's why Kristen Kruek disappeared off the face of the Earth too.

She just started a new show for the CBC up here actually. Really awkward in the mix of all this.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Stairs posted:

Answer option one: They're just too polite to say no.
Answer option two: There's a "good end" of sex slavery?

9 out of 10 people enjoy gangbangs.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Beachcomber posted:

Was the tenth asked Charles Guiteau?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Arivia posted:

She just started a new show for the CBC up here actually. Really awkward in the mix of all this.

She left the cult in 2012, so hopefully has gotten better now.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beachcomber posted:

:holymoley:

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

All fictional characters are 'imaginary' Aves.

Sorry, maybe I should have said hallucinations? I meant imaginary more like having an imaginary friend, although with adults I guess it crosses over more into hallucinations.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

AvesPKS posted:

Sorry, maybe I should have said hallucinations? I meant imaginary more like having an imaginary friend, although with adults I guess it crosses over more into hallucinations.

No, I got you. I was just bubblin' your soda, bud.

Billy Gnosis posted:

Was the tenth asked Charles Guiteau?

This joke is an amazingly deep cut on the biography of a person whose already a deep cut. I applaud it.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

oldpainless posted:

fruit on the bottom posted:

I know. She’s Canadian?!

Yeah, that's certainly a Can-opener!

:dadjoke:

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

AvesPKS posted:

I mentioned this in some other thread, but a trend in media. About 10-15 years ago it felt like 'Head Characters"/Hallucination/Imaginary Characters were a pretty popular thing in media that audiences were comfortable with on a consistent basis and not seen as too 'out there'. They went from being a one-off episode thing to important parts of a story for series that probably would have typically never used them as long-term devices.

In recent years, though, the alternative reality/timeline setting has seemingly replaced them.

Granted, both have been around for much longer than those recent examples, but there's seemingly been a lot of popular use of them them in media in more recent windows of time, too.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

JediTalentAgent posted:

I mentioned this in some other thread, but a trend in media. About 10-15 years ago it felt like 'Head Characters"/Hallucination/Imaginary Characters were a pretty popular thing in media that audiences were comfortable with on a consistent basis and not seen as too 'out there'. They went from being a one-off episode thing to important parts of a story for series that probably would have typically never used them as long-term devices.

In recent years, though, the alternative reality/timeline setting has seemingly replaced them.

Granted, both have been around for much longer than those recent examples, but there's seemingly been a lot of popular use of them them in media in more recent windows of time, too.

This thread brings up a lot of shows I haven't thought about in years, but that post just made me remember Hermans Head. I never watched it, but the premise struck as interesting (and totally bizarre at the time).

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

JacquelineDempsey posted:

This thread brings up a lot of shows I haven't thought about in years, but that post just made me remember Hermans Head. I never watched it, but the premise struck as interesting (and totally bizarre at the time).

I remember only seeing one episode ever of "Herman's Head" and that it was mentioned on "The Simpsons". Then "Inside Out" premiers and it felt like everyone was comparing it to "Herman". I assumed that the show was something that ended after maybe three episodes but was so weird everyone remembered it anyway.

Well, imagine my surprise when I looked it up and it turns out "Herman's Head" aired for three seasons?

On-topic: you know how every so often, "Ren and Stimpy" would have an episode that felt, like, wrong somehow? Welp. :allbuttons:

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
Today I watched an episode of Monk (which is set in California) where it turns out the killer killed the guy because he found out the killer was growing weed on his farm and was going to call the cops.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

SpacePig posted:

I've always said it should have ended after the second season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Stairs posted:

Today I watched an episode of Monk (which is set in California) where it turns out the killer killed the guy because he found out the killer was growing weed on his farm and was going to call the cops.

Everything weed related is going to be as outdated and stupid as smuggling Coors into Georgia.

Weed would have probably helped Monk.