Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

The first Lord of the Rings movie came out 17 years ago, though.

aaaaaagghhhhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Viggo Mortensen took his LotR paycheck and used it to found a niche press for publishing high-quality indie books. I would bet that it cost a lot of money that Viggo will never get back, and I also wouldn't be surprised if he got caught on a bunch of obligations and expenses that necessitated some cash-in films to keep it afloat. But he wanted to finance a bunch of projects that probably wouldn't have happened without Perceval Press, so I would think he'd look at it as money well spent. I can't remember the name, but I know there's one actor who'll take any work he can because he's big on historic preservation for old theaters, which is basically a massive money sink.

ESPN had a 30 for 30 that was about how pro athletes go bankrupt, and while the big houses and drugs certainly are a factor, a lot of it is just not knowing how to budget ten million dollars when you've always been poor or middle class. You're not thinking about your 50s, you're not thinking about all the staff and expenses that come with being a pro athlete, you're not thinking about how this is going to change your relationship with your friends and family, and all of a sudden, you've burnt through several million dollars just in time for an injury to end your career.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Gal Gadot only made like $300,000 for Wonder Woman but it's probably bumping up to $10 million+ for the sequel.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Digging around I can't find much about LotR salaries but odds are Elijah Wood and Ian McKellen (maybe Orlando Bloom or Hugo Weaving as well) were the only ones making serious bank before the first film was a success. Once the movies blew up and they became irreplaceable the other actors might have been able to demand more money for reshoots/interviews/DVD extras/etc, though I doubt anyone who wasn't already a huge star made more than a few million.

I'm sure McKellen, Wood, and probably Liv Tyler got a nice check, but nobody knew who the gently caress Bloom was when that movie came out.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

If I recall correctly Peter Jackson went to bat for his actors and tried to get them a bigger piece of the pie after the films were huge successes. This was one of the reasons that he wasn't originally attached to direct the Hobbit, iirc.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Precambrian posted:

Viggo Mortensen took his LotR paycheck and used it to found a niche press for publishing high-quality indie books. I would bet that it cost a lot of money that Viggo will never get back, and I also wouldn't be surprised if he got caught on a bunch of obligations and expenses that necessitated some cash-in films to keep it afloat. But he wanted to finance a bunch of projects that probably wouldn't have happened without Perceval Press, so I would think he'd look at it as money well spent. I can't remember the name, but I know there's one actor who'll take any work he can because he's big on historic preservation for old theaters, which is basically a massive money sink.

I remember reading that this was Kevin Spacey. :rip:

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Davros1 posted:

I'm sure McKellen, Wood, and probably Liv Tyler got a nice check, but nobody knew who the gently caress Bloom was when that movie came out.

I couldn't remember if he had already been in Pirates when LotR came out and I'll be damned if I'm going to do any research before I post. :colbert:

Edit: Also wasn't part of the rationale for filming in NZ the lax work protections for actors, or was that not a thing until The Hobbit when the country literally rewrote its laws out of their desperation to be the Tolkien Movie Country?

Wicked Them Beats has a new favorite as of 00:23 on Oct 20, 2018

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

I couldn't remember if he had already been in Pirates when LotR came out and I'll be damned if I'm going to do any research before I post. :colbert:

"Pirates" was two years after "Fellowship". Legolas was Orlando Bloom's fifth professional acting role ever.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Edit: Also wasn't part of the rationale for filming in NZ the lax work protections for actors, or was that not a thing until The Hobbit when the country literally rewrote its laws out of their desperation to be the Tolkien Movie Country?

I think they had good labor laws until dreamworks (?) threatened them into destroying all work protections and unions in perpetuity so that the Hobbit could be made.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

You can learn all about that mess here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi7t_g5QObs

The previous two videos are more about the creative process, but this is what deals with the whole legal shenanigans/labor nonsense.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Orlando Bloom's role immediately before LOTR was a guy that got stabbed with a pitchfork for bring a douchebag.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

rodbeard posted:

Orlando Bloom's role immediately before LOTR was a guy that got stabbed with a pitchfork for bring a douchebag.

I wasn't aware he played Geralt of Rivia.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Precambrian posted:

ESPN had a 30 for 30 that was about how pro athletes go bankrupt, and while the big houses and drugs certainly are a factor, a lot of it is just not knowing how to budget ten million dollars when you've always been poor or middle class. You're not thinking about your 50s, you're not thinking about all the staff and expenses that come with being a pro athlete, you're not thinking about how this is going to change your relationship with your friends and family, and all of a sudden, you've burnt through several million dollars just in time for an injury to end your career.

They also said that some athletes have tried to be responsible and put money away for a rainy day, and got hosed by their financial advisor/accountant. I think one guy went broke partly because his accountant hosed off to South America with most of his money.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

El Gallinero Gros posted:

They also said that some athletes have tried to be responsible and put money away for a rainy day, and got hosed by their financial advisor/accountant. I think one guy went broke partly because his accountant hosed off to South America with most of his money.

It happens to all kinds of famous people. That's the only reason we got Leonard Cohen's last three albums, his financial advisor stole all his cash while he was living as a monk.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

BOOSness Hammocks posted:

I think they had good labor laws until dreamworks (?) threatened them into destroying all work protections and unions in perpetuity so that the Hobbit could be made.

it's not quite as simple as that: warner brothers 'threatened' them by informing them that, given the nearly equal shooting costs after the local acting guilds raised their wages to match that of other countries, that these other countries - places like ireland, poland, etc - were now in competition with nz for the shooting location bid and they couldn't just take it for granted that the next tolkien trilogy would default to the same shooting location as the previous and the locals massively over-reacted and gouged their own collective bargaining laws to vastly underbid competitors, amending their employment acts with the so-called 'hobbit laws,' not to mention granting wb a massive tax write-off as a further incentive for the bid

nz's legislature here, especially the massive tax-write off, have been heavily criticized by international labor watch groups for the use of unfair government grants to locally secure interests against multinational competition, and flouting international labor standards in the process

you can definitely argue that the nz government, which basically gave itself emergency powers to force the deal through, really let down its own citizens - people whose rights they were elected to defend - by sacrificing actor's bargaining rights to chase a contact (and more importantly tolkien tourism money) but it's much harder to pin the blame on the studio here - had another country like ireland or poland gotten the contract instead it would've been as huge a boost for them and their local talent/tourism industry as it was for nz and, tbh, that might've been a preferable outcome since those countries weren't insane enough to breach international convention to get it

hard counter has a new favorite as of 07:04 on Oct 20, 2018

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
After the first one i feel like the hobbit movies just disappeared. They came out but their zeitgeistpenetration was zero. Movies that aged poorly before they were released

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

After the first one i feel like the hobbit movies just disappeared. They came out but their zeitgeistpenetration was zero. Movies that aged poorly before they were released

I dunno why the studio thought that a book with 310 pages should have the same running time on film as a set of three books with 1191 pages combined, but :shrug:

I do hope the Hobbit movies killed the trend of spreading book adaptations over as many movies as possible, though. The sheer contempt studios had for moviegoers for a little while there was pretty astonishing.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Besesoth posted:

I dunno why the studio thought that a book with 310 pages should have the same running time on film as a set of three books with 1191 pages combined, but :shrug:

I do hope the Hobbit movies killed the trend of spreading book adaptations over as many movies as possible, though. The sheer contempt studios had for moviegoers for a little while there was pretty astonishing.

Why would they need to do that when they can learn the lesson of superhero comics and have 1e4 characters and reboots every decade or elss to keep filling up the narrative space?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Besesoth posted:

They learned their lesson so now Amazon is making a LOTR tv series with a billion dollar budget.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF

hard counter posted:

It's not quite as simple as that: Warner Brothers 'threatened' them by informing them that, given the nearly equal shooting costs after the local acting guilds raised their wages to match that of other countries, that these other countries - places like Ireland, Poland, etc - were now in competition with NZ for the shooting location bid and they couldn't just take it for granted that the next Tolkien trilogy would default to the same shooting location as the previous and the locals massively over-reacted and gouged their own collective bargaining laws to vastly underbid competitors, amending their employment acts with the so-called 'hobbit laws', not to mention granting WB a massive tax write-off as a further incentive for the bid.

NZ's legislature here, especially the massive tax-write off, have been heavily criticized by international labor watch groups for the use of unfair government grants to locally secure interests against multinational competition, and flouting international labor standards in the process

you can definitely argue that the NZ government, which basically gave itself emergency powers to force the deal through, really let down its own citizens - people whose rights they were elected to defend - by sacrificing actors' bargaining rights to chase a contact (and more importantly Tolkien tourism money) but it's much harder to pin the blame on the studio here - had another country like Ireland or Poland gotten the contract instead it would've been as huge a boost for them and their local talent/tourism industry as it was for NZ and, TBH, that might've been a preferable outcome since those countries weren't insane enough to breach international convention to get it

Oh boy, are we talking about National (the NZ political party in charge at the time of The Hobbit) being a massive pile of dicks? Because that's what they are. Dicks all the way down.

As you can tell by my avatar I am, in fact, from Kiwiland and so can state that the Hobbit laws were only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to National, John Key (the Prime Minister at the time) and their bullshit.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ZakAce posted:

Oh boy, are we talking about National (the NZ political party in charge at the time of The Hobbit) being a massive pile of dicks? Because that's what they are. Dicks all the way down.

As you can tell by my avatar I am, in fact, from Kiwiland and so can state that the Hobbit laws were only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to National, John Key (the Prime Minister at the time) and their bullshit.

Can't forget his weird fetish for pulling on women's ponytails.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

ZakAce posted:

yeah from looking into things after getting a feeling from the ellis hobbit video that there was more to the story than just crapitalism strikes again i really get the impression that the nats were a massive bag of dicks and in this instance wasn't even an especially spectacular example of it

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

ellis did, however, do a solid job of explaining why the films were so lackluster and forgetable in the other two hobbit videos tho

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Nationals lost power last election against a coalition of basically literally every other political party against them, and proceeded to throw a tantrum and say that was cheating. The new PM is having none of it and had a baby while in office.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Nationals lost power last election against a coalition of basically literally every other political party against them, and proceeded to throw a tantrum and say that was cheating. The new PM is having none of it and had a baby while in office.

She also brought the baby to the UN General Assembly! :3:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Eh, Pratchett did it better.

I don't know much about Pratchett so what is this referring to?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Milo and POTUS posted:

I don't know much about Pratchett so what is this referring to?

The high concept of the novel Witches Abroad is "a fairy godmother has to stop a scullery maid marrying a prince".

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Jedit posted:

The high concept of the novel Witches Abroad is "a fairy godmother has to stop a scullery maid marrying a prince".

Other way around - the Fairy Godmother is forcing it due to her obsession with happy endings, and the scullery maid and prince don't love each other and are being forced into it IIRC.

Also Cinderella 3 works because it's primarily Anastasia's story. It focuses on her, even though Cinderella is the hero, Anastasia is given about the same amount of screen time and has all the character development.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Well somebody was talking about Death playing chess somewhere on the forums a bit ago and said that in Discworld he was scared to win and I think it might have been some sort of witch, which (:D) were apparently pretty shifty.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Didn't New Line / WB screw over the LOTR cast with poor royalties from merchandise?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Was there some sort of weird dispute between Lucas on one end and Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford concerning image rights which had some kind of impact on how the characters were portrayed visually on Star Wars book covers and that sort of thing?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I hope they fought for their right to be drawn by 7 year old kids and won.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Besesoth posted:

It's all about the :10bux:. All the movie studios care about is making as much money as possible. Since Lord of the Rings did so well they wanted to milk The Hobbit for all they could. So what we got was a really good first movie to get people invested in it, a mediocre second movie, and a boring slog of a third one. I saw them all in theaters in 3D and only the third one made me think "...I just paid for that?"

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The first one wasn't that good either. It didn't have half the heart, fun, or feeling as the cartoon.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Isn't Mortensen a communist anyway? He probably doesn't mind not being as rich as he could have been. :v:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Milo and POTUS posted:

Well somebody was talking about Death playing chess somewhere on the forums a bit ago and said that in Discworld he was scared to win and I think it might have been some sort of witch, which (:D) were apparently pretty shifty.

That's a scene from Maskerade where Granny Weatherwax plays Death for the life of a young woman who was severely injured. Basically she intimidated Death into throwing the game and taking the life of a farm animal instead.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My favourite Discworld is Lords and Ladies. I think the Witches novels at least peaked there; Maskerade and Carpe Jugulum have their merits but they're a step down from Lords and Ladies.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Wheat Loaf posted:

My favourite Discworld is Lords and Ladies. I think the Witches novels at least peaked there; Maskerade and Carpe Jugulum have their merits but they're a step down from Lords and Ladies.
I agree, although I go back and forth on whether Lords and Ladies or Wyrd Sisters is the best. And Carpe Jugulum has its moments but it's a clear drop in quality and not particularly memorable, whereas Maskerade is mostly just not as good as the ones that came before.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Maskerade was the only Discworld novel I couldn't finish. I have no idea why I just found it tremendously boring. Literally every other Discworld book I thought was fantastic but that one just didn't do it for me.

I also didn't enjoy Good Omens all that much so maybe there's just something wrong with me.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I couldn't bring myself to read the last few novels. The decline in quality was getting too obvious and I wanted to leave the series with the same incredibly high opinion I always had of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think the last one (in publishing order - I went back and read a few older ones I'd not read afterwards) I read was Unseen Academicals, which I recall not enjoying because I didn't think it was very funny, but which had some decent ideas (though all the stuff with the orc character wasn't interesting to me, which is a shame because he's the main character) and has this one really good bit just before the final match where he's just building up the tension and creates this really strong sense of foreboding, you know, "Something bad is going to happen."

I don't even remember if it necessarily pays off or not but that scene by itself was quite well done. This is probably because I was taking this sociology class at the time which had Hillsborough as its big case study.

All that said, I feel king of bad about being down on later Discworld because Pratchett was so unwell when he wrote them and it feels like I'm being unfair to him. :(