Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Wasn't that like the first episode or something?

I know I didn't watch it past that.

Neither did anyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Cleretic posted:

the famous Shatner Voice everyone makes fun of were either barely there or nonexistant in TOS.

he spent most of his time with a dude whom he very often proclaimed his undying and neverending friendship for

the very term 'slash' formed out of the insane amount of gay fanfic that TOS generated in the 70s - Kirk/Spock meant a Kirk-Spock relationship, so slash = gay (or so the urban legends go)

As far as I'm concerned, to the queer community they're an early queer couple and I've always interpreted the heavy lean on pushing how Kirk is a womanizer by fans as an effort to be all NUH-UH HE SO STR8 LOOK

{insert argument from someone here about how men can't just have platonic relationships without someone thinking they're gay, WE HAD NO ONE BACK THEN OK}

StrangersInTheNight has a new favorite as of 17:51 on Jul 3, 2019

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
Yeah i can’t remember if my wife came up with it herself or she read it somewhere else but Riker is everything people said Kirk was.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sex scenes are an artifact of the pre-streaming era, or at least the pre-internet era. To the raincoated perverts of yesteryear, everyone in the 21st century would seem as jaded hedonists beyond all imagining, able to see anything at any time.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Bogus Adventure posted:

IIRC, warp drive only caused damage if it was used repeatedly via the same route. The damage was being done to a safe passage through an area that made warp speed impossible/dangerous. The speed limit was meant as a compromise to limit damage to that particular safe passage.

It's never mentioned again because I don't think any episode revisits that planet or that safe passage. :shrug:

Everything in Star Trek travels at the speed of plot. If the episode needs the Enterprise to get there before something it does. If it needs the Enterprise to get there after something it does. If the episode needs it to get there at the exact right moment or get derailed along the way and never arrive that's what happens. The :techno: is just the justification for it. They don't really explain the warp drive all that much and sometimes just make up stuff like "this space is bad so we can't go fast."

How the FTL stuff works is mostly not relevant to the plot in the first place. They just need to have a space ship that can get from planet A to planet B in the time it takes to have some dialogue appropriate to the plot.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Oh also TV shows are gonna make a big deal about characters being gay until society stops assuming the automatic default is straight for everybody

Gonna shoehorn it innnnnnn until you're so uncomfortable you can't staaaand it, and then we'll keep goinggggggg

The only way you can win/stop it is not to care, well and truly.

But if you're still trying to be all, 'well, I just didn't like how they made a big deal about it', you're the person we're trying to trample over and it's working. Get trampled.

StrangersInTheNight has a new favorite as of 18:33 on Jul 3, 2019

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Gonna shoehorn it innnnnnn until you're so uncomfortable you can't staaaand it, and then we'll keep goinggggggg

...have you been reading my Kirk/Spock fanfic?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Kirk/Spock is two men caring for each other. In 2019 that basically means gay because sexual desire is the only emotion men can have now

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Pick posted:

Kirk/Spock is two men caring for each other. In 2019 that basically means gay because sexual desire is the only emotion men can have now

'now'?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Star Trek TOS was pretty much the origin of modern slash fanfic, and the earliest writers and fan club organizers were predominantly women. Kirk/Spock was A Gay Thing longer than most of us have been alive.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Everything in Star Trek travels at the speed of plot. If the episode needs the Enterprise to get there before something it does. If it needs the Enterprise to get there after something it does. If the episode needs it to get there at the exact right moment or get derailed along the way and never arrive that's what happens. The :techno: is just the justification for it. They don't really explain the warp drive all that much and sometimes just make up stuff like "this space is bad so we can't go fast."

How the FTL stuff works is mostly not relevant to the plot in the first place. They just need to have a space ship that can get from planet A to planet B in the time it takes to have some dialogue appropriate to the plot.

Here's a good translation of what each warp speed means.

Warp 1= we are going very slow, something is probably wrong with our ship.
Warp 2= we are going slowly, we are not in a hurry, and are intentionally going slow.
Warp 5= this is our standard speed. Nothing is urgent, but we aren't just meandering either.
Warp 7= situation is slightly urgent
Warp 8= situation is very urgent
Warp 9= situation is an emergency
Warp 9.5 and up= situation is such an emergency that we are putting the ship in danger to get to our destination faster.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

sweet geek swag posted:

Here's a good translation of what each warp speed means.

Warp 1= we are going very slow, something is probably wrong with our ship.
Warp 2= we are going slowly, we are not in a hurry, and are intentionally going slow.
Warp 5= this is our standard speed. Nothing is urgent, but we aren't just meandering either.
Warp 7= situation is slightly urgent
Warp 8= situation is very urgent
Warp 9= situation is an emergency
Warp 9.5 and up= situation is such an emergency that we are putting the ship in danger to get to our destination faster.

I liked Warp n when the technician's magical alien assistant supercharged the warp drive and they ended up in an area of the universe where time space and thought became one, where it would have taken centuries to get back home.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

BioEnchanted posted:

I liked Warp n when the technician's magical alien assistant supercharged the warp drive and they ended up in an area of the universe where time space and thought became one, where it would have taken centuries to get back home.

Wait, is this the TOS episode where this happened or was there another one too?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Pick posted:

thats not true i can also feel rage and hunger

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Wait, is this the TOS episode where this happened or was there another one too?

TNG had one in the first season.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

{insert argument from someone here about how men can't just have platonic relationships without someone thinking they're gay, WE HAD NO ONE BACK THEN OK}

Pick posted:

It took less than 10 posts

yes there need to be more platonic male friendships in media where they treat each other well

don't police that poo poo to people being desperate for gay representation in the 70s tho

or go back to the 70s where you so desperately seem to want to live

StrangersInTheNight has a new favorite as of 19:01 on Jul 3, 2019

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

that just means we're one step closer to becoming perfectly logical vulcans

just gotta make sure we only feel lust once every seven years and we're golden

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
D.... did I just get accused of not liking Star Trek slash ..........

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

My point was that the notion of Kirk and Spock being gay was around way before the internet, way before any form of digital media even, and predominantly written for the pleasure of women. Never ascribe societal pressures to what can more easily be explained by smut.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Oh god I'm having an identity crisis

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
WHO AM I

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Pick posted:

WHO AM I

This

This is you right here

Your name is Pick

You are on the internet

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

BioEnchanted posted:

His name is The Traveler, and sometimes he likes to go around looking like Billy Twofeathers from Shining Time Station.

Pick posted:

Pick posted:

Oh god I'm having an identity crisis

Pick posted:

WHO AM I

lmao

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Also, here's something to settle this thread down:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Bogus Adventure posted:

Robinson's nose is cuter than that.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Wasn't that like the first episode or something?

I know I didn't watch it past that.

i think it was and it was supposed to be fun and salacious

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Oh also TV shows are gonna make a big deal about characters being gay until society stops assuming the automatic default is straight for everybody

The only way you can win/stop it is not to care, well and truly.

But if you're still trying to be all, 'well, I just didn't like how they made a big deal about it', you're the person we're trying to trample over and it's working. Get trampled.

You said that better than I was able to, thanks.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

lmao @ picks gimmick backfiring

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Well, Season 2 starts on an odd note with Troi's alien rape baby.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

ulex minor posted:

did torchwood deal with the weird 'i'm using alien pheromones to date rape people' with any gravity or was it just that character wiggling his eyebrows to the camera

I've never watched Torchwood, but The Orville also did this. And the crew also roofies some alien ambassadors with it to make them bang each other to avert a war or something. It was all handled kinda well for how rapey it was.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Fun (?) fact about early TNG, many of the scripts were originally Star Trek: Phase II scripts. The Motion Picture was originally the pilot for Phase II, then NBC decided "actually gently caress that" and it was changed to a movie (not altogether well, but that's another discussion). In a lot of early TNG scripts you can plainly see who was the Phase II counterpart-Decker and Riker especially but there's pieces of Ilia in Troi and Data. S2 still had a lot of reused scripts but it's where TNG really started coming into its own-and by S3 they were completely out of Phase II scripts so that's probably a big reason why TNG has such an uptick then.

Anyway that episode was a Phase II script. I really wonder if Phase II would have found the success TNG did (relative) 10 years earlier, or if Phase II would have completely killed the franchise.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Humerus posted:

Fun (?) fact about early TNG, many of the scripts were originally Star Trek: Phase II scripts. The Motion Picture was originally the pilot for Phase II, then NBC decided "actually gently caress that" and it was changed to a movie (not altogether well, but that's another discussion). In a lot of early TNG scripts you can plainly see who was the Phase II counterpart-Decker and Riker especially but there's pieces of Ilia in Troi and Data. S2 still had a lot of reused scripts but it's where TNG really started coming into its own-and by S3 they were completely out of Phase II scripts so that's probably a big reason why TNG has such an uptick then.

Anyway that episode was a Phase II script. I really wonder if Phase II would have found the success TNG did (relative) 10 years earlier, or if Phase II would have completely killed the franchise.

Some Phase II scripts were interesting retro sci-fi concepts, like the Cassandra (child who can foretell the future) and To Attain The All (solar system-sized logic game where the winner gets a massive trove of knowledge) pitches. Devil's Due was also made a TNG episode, and is a pretty great episode IMHO. Phase II definitely would not have killed off the franchise if Voyager still managed to let Berman & Co. crap out Enterprise.

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process

Koalas March posted:

The Rookie

I'm just guessing you could throw a stone at any CBS show rn tbh

Jackson is gay. Seeing the nurse from the hospital.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Pick posted:

...no? people were just saying it's hilarious to use it as an example of 2019 anything when it's been a thing since, like, the 70s

e: yeah, first K/S story was published in 1974

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What are sci-fi & fantasy tropes and conventions that we can write off as flippant and grossly insensitive nowadays, unless told by a very well-versed author who knows what they are doing?

There's the magical-pregnancy plots in TNG and that Avengers comic everyone likes to forget. If a woman gets pregnant and gives birth in the space of a day then you can't ignore the trauma and the entire element of rape. (Xenomorph impregnation is fine. It's horror and equal-opportunity.)

Anything to do with Ancient Astronauts because it usually white guys explaining how non-white civilizations couldn't possibly engineer those pyramids without Extraterrestrial intervention.

Having a race of aliens/species who are too obvious counterparts to real-life groups. In the first season of TNG we had a race of aliens from Darkest Africa, and a perfect aryan collective who wanted to execute Wesley for tripping on some flowers.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Anything to do with Ancient Astronauts because it usually white guys explaining how non-white civilizations couldn't possibly engineer those pyramids without Extraterrestrial intervention.

Unless you do a Futurama and flip it:

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

exquisite tea posted:

My point was that the notion of Kirk and Spock being gay was around way before the internet, way before any form of digital media even, and predominantly written for the pleasure of women. Never ascribe societal pressures to what can more easily be explained by smut.

oh yeah deffo agreed, there was a ton of women bc slash is also a playground for playing with sexual roles

and it all gets even more complex when you fold in the ol' 'male nerds don't consider the contributions of female nerds as real fandom and try to negate/undo it' chestnut

basically everyone knows the kirk/spock thing because it is a classic example of women being a large part of a fandom and helping drive the success of the property, but also overwhelmingly ignored as viewers or fans because 'it's not for you'

Pick posted:

when you play the contrarian 24-7, eventually you're gonna represent All The Positions

Your own personal episode of Black Mirror is only just beginning

Bogus Adventure posted:

I accept this offering and am pleased

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Sweevo posted:

Neither did anyone else.

The first couple seasons are just sort of r rated sexy x-files. Season 3, the children of earth miniseries is fantastic, and season 4 the US showtime produced miracle day has an interesting high concept, but is kind of boring, and also really dumb.

someone guesses the ultimate explanation for everything (is jack's blood responsible for making everyone immortal?) And then we get a detailed whovian lore explanation as to why that isn't the case. But then twist, that's actually the reason, and we didn't so much mislead you as straight up lie to you

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

...no? people were just saying it's hilarious to use it as an example of 2019 anything when it's been a thing since, like, the 70s

e: yeah, first K/S story was published in 1974

mooooooooooooooooooooom, someone is mansplaining star trek slash to me :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Wow this new doctor in season 2 is a real bitch to Data, like All the Time. Everyone hates on Wesley but I think he's alright, the character I hate right now is Dr Pulaski. Lt Yar at least had an interesting idea for a backstory even if not much was done with it in the long run.