Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

oldpainless posted:

Someone hasn’t worked in a college library

I work in a college library and the only people who have themselves convinced that librarians party are... librarians

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Someday we'll have to confront the sad reality that nobody actually parties.

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009
I have it on pretty good authority that California knows how to party.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Fumaofthelake posted:

I work in a college library and the only people who have themselves convinced that librarians party are... librarians

nerds think getting buzzed with a girl in a hotel room at comicon is a wild party but the minute you suggest snorting angel dust off a strippers rear end they call the loving cops

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Better than the regular cops.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

nerds think getting buzzed with a girl in a hotel room at comicon is a wild party but the minute you suggest snorting angel dust off a strippers rear end they call the loving cops

that... actually sounds about right for con parties, though, except most folks i knew who were into that poo poo would probably go for coke over PCP and it'd probably be some cosplayer they lured to the hotel room and not a stripper

just gravitate towards the sketchier nerds and you'll have more fun

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
no. no yo loving will not. i went to a furcon with a buddy and roomed with some fuckers he met on a forum and of COURSE they gave the Weird Hot Topic Girl acid and of COURSE that's my room the EMTs are wheeling into and of COURSE she flips out and of COURSE the con does nothing to punish the ATTEMPTED DATE RAPISTS

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

ToxicSlurpee posted:

nobody parties harder than restaurant people. Nobody.

As someone who worked in restaurants for twenty years, I’d like to submit nurses into this competition.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
on the other hand, veterenarians have access to horse tranquilizers in suppository form.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."

Torquemada posted:

As someone who worked in restaurants for twenty years, I’d like to submit nurses into this competition.

I will agree with this, as a cook and a bartender the only people that can usually match the culinary party mentality are nurses and construction workers. The latter two are usually more sober on the job proper but they will definitely match a culinary worker in their off time. Long hours, high stress and random groups of weird coworkers breed a hosed up group ready to party themselves to death.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Yeah, well teachers...

gently caress. Go to bed early. Except the ones who are drunk at work.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Swedish tinder apparently has a huge portion of Danish nurses on it. Party so hard they cross international lines.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

MrUnderbridge posted:

Yeah, well teachers...

gently caress. Go to bed early. Except the ones who are drunk at work.

teachers get their districts to pay them to drink at """""professional development conferences"""""

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TGG posted:

I will agree with this, as a cook and a bartender the only people that can usually match the culinary party mentality are nurses and construction workers. The latter two are usually more sober on the job proper but they will definitely match a culinary worker in their off time. Long hours, high stress and random groups of weird coworkers breed a hosed up group ready to party themselves to death.

The thing about nurses is that they have access to drugs and know exactly what amount to take in order to get hosed up.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

teachers get their districts to pay them to drink at """""professional development conferences"""""

That is not just teachers. EMS also gets paid to get hosed up at conferences, and I’m sure a lot of other industries have the same deal.

EMS people drink a fuckton and smoke so, so much weed, but I’ve never seen anyone who likes opiates last for too long before they get fired for narc safe fuckery.

TGG posted:

I will agree with this, as a cook and a bartender the only people that can usually match the culinary party mentality are nurses and construction workers. The latter two are usually more sober on the job proper

Key word there is usually. I’ve have seen some hosed up construction workers, between the boozing and doing blow on the job I’m really surprised some of these people have all their fingers.

Ugly In The Morning has a new favorite as of 20:02 on Dec 6, 2019

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

duck trucker posted:

poo poo you're right.

Hell's Kitchen never had a better season then the season where the stoner who broke his hand in the first or second episode and could only cook one handed the rest of the season won.

Was that the same season where rest of the male contenders were all absolutely rubbish or something else?

For some reason it keeps getting more reruns in our local channels than other seasons combined.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

duck trucker posted:

poo poo you're right.

Hell's Kitchen never had a better season then the season where the stoner who broke his hand in the first or second episode and could only cook one handed the rest of the season won.

This is like something out of an anime. And/or the reason why Sanji from One Piece fights exclusively by kicking people because he doesn't want to risk hurting his hands.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This is like something out of an anime. And/or the reason why Sanji from One Piece fights exclusively by kicking people because he doesn't want to risk hurting his hands.

Which season # is this?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Arbite posted:

Which season # is this?

For Hell's Kitchen, I have no idea. For One Piece, he's one of the main characters.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

And I don't think there's been a One Piece/Hell's Kitchen crossover but with how elaborate those noodle ads are maybe it's only a matter of time.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

For Hell's Kitchen, I have no idea. For One Piece, he's one of the main characters.

Nah, HK, and it looks like it was Dave from season 6.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
Dave was an absolute beast in that season, just clowning on everyone else while one-handed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcnmSORJJ8I

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Keru posted:

Dave was an absolute beast in that season, just clowning on everyone else while one-handed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcnmSORJJ8I

Blocked in the US due to a claim by an absolutely real company called AdRevEnt_managed. :raise:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And I don't think there's been a One Piece/Hell's Kitchen crossover but with how elaborate those noodle ads are maybe it's only a matter of time.

Everyone should watch Yakitate Japan.

I'm not really into anime, but it's got magic hands, nonstop baking competitions, and some of the most insane reactions to taking a bite of bread you will ever see.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Pastry of the Year posted:

Everyone should watch Yakitate Japan.

I'm not really into anime, but it's got magic hands, nonstop baking competitions, and some of the most insane reactions to taking a bite of bread you will ever see.

Also, the best end credits animation in the history of television:

https://youtu.be/vQ-x_KQJAhE

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Food Wars (Shogeki no Soma) tries to be a successor to Yakitatte, but goes on a bit too long IMO. If you liked YJ, check it out, but stop after the Takeover arc.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Neito posted:

Food Wars (Shogeki no Soma) tries to be a successor to Yakitatte, but goes on a bit too long IMO. If you liked YJ, check it out, but stop after the Takeover arc.

Also people react to delicious food by orgasming. Although to be fair, the food did look good.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Alhazred posted:

The thing about nurses is that they have access to drugs and know exactly what amount to take in order to get hosed up.

I'm not saying drugs aren't a problem among nurses, but a friend who works on a state board review panel about licensure removal told me that nurses are by far and away the most common group to have their license stripped for alcohol violations. Dentists and anesthetists are the leaders in getting their license stripped for drug reasons.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

christmas boots posted:

Also people react to delicious food by orgasming. Although to be fair, the food did look good.

Later on, it literally strips the clothes from their bodies, IIRC.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
3rding Yakitate Japan, I knew what video that was before even clicking it. Fantastic. Only good boss in anime.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That is not just teachers. EMS also gets paid to get hosed up at conferences, and I’m sure a lot of other industries have the same deal.

EMS people drink a fuckton and smoke so, so much weed, but I’ve never seen anyone who likes opiates last for too long before they get fired for narc safe fuckery.

i'm shocked to learn EMS folks smoke, I thought for sure there'd be regular drug tests with anything involving that much driving.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

3rding Yakitate Japan, I knew what video that was before even clicking it. Fantastic. Only good boss in anime.

i'm shocked to learn EMS folks smoke, I thought for sure there'd be regular drug tests with anything involving that much driving.

In the part of NY I’m in (hudson valley) you’ll get maaaaybe a pre-employment test, and post accident/reasonable suspicion, but basically any policy that says anything about random tests is full of BS. The one place I know that’s actually done random tests doesn’t even test for weed, just what’s in the narcotics box+amphetamines+coke.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Wife and I finished up running through all nine seasons of Seinfeld last night. Since I'm sure it's been discussed plenty in this thread already - my cliffs notes of sorts.

- Holy crap it held up really well. Still really funny, and considerably less "Uhhhh, they thought that was funny??" moments than other shows I've re-visted in the past couple years. Seasons 6-9 seem to be packed so full of classic episodes it's really hard to comprehend. Really crazy how just reading titles of episodes could make me laugh as I remember things I hadn't thought of in years.

- drat. Another show that I rewatched hoping that there were episodes I hadn't seen. Nope. Despite having watched Seinfeld as it aired less than 10 or so times, I had still managed to catch every single episode over the years. Holy syndication, Batman.

- Favorite character remains to be George. The perfect stupid idiot. I love him. Going in my wife (who admittedly hadn't seen a lot of Seinfeld episodes) said she didn't like him. Her mind was thoroughly changed.

- Least favorite character remains to be, well, Jerry. I'm pretty thoroughly convinced that the show was so drat good because of Larry David. All three of the other main characters are so much funnier. All three repeatedly steal scenes right and left. Mental note - I really need to give Curb Your Enthusiasm a try.

- Julia Louis-Dreyfuss is a national treasure and I think I might re-watch all of Veep just to get more.

- I am more sad about Michael Richards being such a poo poo head than ever. Ugh. He was so perfect as Kramer. Why'd you gotta be like that, man? Still makes me laugh at every ridiculous slapsticky entrance, over reaction, pratfall and weird noise, but drat it.

- Favorite random rear end people to see in episodes: Patton Oswalt's first role, and Mr. Show era appearances by Bob Odenkirk, Brian Posehn, and Kyle Gass.

In spirit of the thread - things that didn't really work anymore.

- Jerry's stand up intro bits. Yikes. I'm into stand up more than the average person. I have numerous favorites, go to multiple shows per year and occasionally will go to clubs with my wife regardless of who's there. I know making fun of Jerry's observational humor "What's the deal with...." stuff is a cliche, but Jesus. There's no way Larry David wasn't 95% responsible for this show being a success.

- There's a 5th season episode called "The Masseuse" with a sub plot of Elaine dating a guy that shares a name with a serial killer. While trying to talk him into changing his name and suggesting alternatives - she's reading an NFL program. She suggests "Deione" (Sanders, i guess?) and then "O.J." The episode aired in November, 1993. The rear end in me wishes it had aired later in the season to be even closer to the Summer of 94.

- Clip shows suck. They seem pretty rare now, but drat do they suck. Seinfeld had two. Both were bad.

- Despite having so many classic episodes, and despite the final 3-4 seasons being so good, the series really did end on a down note. Third to last episode about getting stuck in a Puerto Rico day parade was really not great. The second to last episode was a drat double length clip show - WTF? And the much maligned finale was, a - not that great and, b - a bit of a clip show in disguise itself. Also, lol at the little subplot about a phone call hierarchy. Chastising someone for making a cell phone call while out on the sidewalk doesn't really hold up that great.

Lastly - despite what I said above, my single favorite line in the whole run was a Jerry moment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJln8ikWBjg
Amen, Jerry. Amen.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

From the last time I watched it all the way through (like, a decade ago, easy) I remember the parade episode being one of the few decent ones in the overall bad last season, though I sure as hell couldn't tell you a single funny thing about it now

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Watching the clip show and the finale back to back live was brutal. Like Why have a clip show if the final episode is also mostly a clip show? I hated it so much.

And while it's been a little while I caught the gay panic episode a couple of years back and it holds up super well. Because the joke is so clearly on them being so uncomfortable with who they are. Like when Elaine gives Jerry the Bette Midler tickets and he gets super depressed about it. "but you love bette midller!" "I know..."

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Tony Phillips posted:

- Jerry's stand up intro bits. Yikes. I'm into stand up more than the average person. I have numerous favorites, go to multiple shows per year and occasionally will go to clubs with my wife regardless of who's there. I know making fun of Jerry's observational humor "What's the deal with...." stuff is a cliche, but Jesus. There's no way Larry David wasn't 95% responsible for this show being a success.

So much of what made the show a success was things that were basically observational humor. Two early really fantastic episodes were about waiting in a chinese restaurant and getting lost in a parking garage. Seinfeld's style of standup has been done to death, sure, but his sense of humor absolutely informed how the show was made in a big way.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

So much of what made the show a success was things that were basically observational humor. Two early really fantastic episodes were about waiting in a chinese restaurant and getting lost in a parking garage. Seinfeld's style of standup has been done to death, sure, but his sense of humor absolutely informed how the show was made in a big way.

Somewhere a while ago (maybe even from this thread) I came across this article breaking down just how often Seinfeld actually did use the "what's the deal" line, with the conclusion that it's very exaggerated in our collective pop culture memory.

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/59044/whats-deal-whats-deal-did-seinfeld-actually-say-it

quote:

After searching through thescripts for every episode of Seinfeld, the phrase, "What's the deal with..." was never used sincerely (i.e. said in the context of genuine observational humor) during the show's entire run, including all the pre-intro stand-up sets.

The closest the series comes is during the season two episode "The Deal," and Jerry doesn't even say it. At Monk's, George asks Jerry, "What's the deal with Aquaman? Could he go on land, or was he just restricted to water?" before they change subjects and venture into a conversation about Jerry sleeping with Elaine.

The phrase wouldn't be said again in the series for another five years, and from that point forward, all instances of "What's the deal with..." are self-referential and used to make fun of the hokey phrase. In all, and not including "The Deal," it's only said in five of Seinfeld's 180 episodes:

[...]

So, beyond that example, before he started making fun of it on his own show, Jerry Seinfeld's oeuvre is pretty much completely devoid of the phrase "What's the Deal With...". This raises the question: Who started saying it?

The answer is...Jerry Seinfeld (gasps fill the auditorium).

The culprit appears to be a 1992 Saturday Night Live episode hosted by Seinfeld himself. In a sketch called "Stand-Up and Win," he plays the host of a game show where lame comedians answer questions like, "What's the Deal with Airplane Food?," "What's the Deal With the Black Box?," "What's the Deal With Count Chocula?," and so on and so on.

Naturally, he was in on the joke from the very beginning. Despite this, "What's the deal with..." is still being used by hack headline writers to this very day, including yours truly.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

It's really strange. How does a style of material that I don't like so much when it's presented by a guy standing in front of a mic make me laugh so much when it's fleshed out a bit and acted out by a cast? And of course the show repeatedly made fun of itself with the "show about nothing" jokes over and over. There's parts of me that wonder how in the hell the show worked so well, but whatever. A drat classic through and through.

Ambitious Spider posted:

Watching the clip show and the finale back to back live was brutal. Like Why have a clip show if the final episode is also mostly a clip show? I hated it so much.

I hadn't remembered that they aired back to back originally until I saw the original release dates when we watched them last night. Oof.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

In a lot of ways it was a metaphor for the end of the 90s

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

wizzardstaff posted:

Somewhere a while ago (maybe even from this thread) I came across this article breaking down just how often Seinfeld actually did use the "what's the deal" line, with the conclusion that it's very exaggerated in our collective pop culture memory.

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/59044/whats-deal-whats-deal-did-seinfeld-actually-say-it

Who are the ad wizards who came up with that one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I genuinely thought the last episode might end with Jerry and the gang pestering someone trying to defuse a bomb and the show ending in a mushroom cloud under the closing music.