Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

The weirdest part of the M Night Avatar movie is how he changed the way names are pronounced. This wasn't a book adaptation, he had the way the creators intended the names to be said from the show itself.

I don't really know how much was M Night huffing his own farts but that's around when he turned into a running joke to the point where there's the anecdote about a goon at a theater watching a trailer for a drama/suspense movie and when his name pops up people started laughing.

It seems like he had total control over the movie, and years later the show creators outright condemned him for all the changes he made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
IIRC it was still pretty clear that, leg aside, most of House’s misery was of his own creation

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

the_steve posted:

Wasn't House another example of Tyler Durdenism?
Like, you're supposed to realize that he's an utterly toxic rear end in a top hat that normal people can't stand to be around, but idiots idolize him because he gets to flick his cigarette in everyone's face before riding off on his motorcycle to go be right about everything.

Valid point.

I'm clueless so I had to hear from a bunch of people, no Walter White is not a good dude. No, FIght Club is not inspirational however much your credit card debt sucks. But it predated 9/11 :smuggo:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

christmas boots posted:

IIRC it was still pretty clear that, leg aside, most of House’s misery was of his own creation

It was but the show also really reveled in his rear end in a top hat nature.

It’s kind of like the Shield in that the main character is both the bad guy and a bad rear end which muddles any message

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I think Tyler Durden is an interesting one because the alienation of a late-stage capitalist society is a real problem, so even as toxic as he is there’s a cathartic feel especially in the beginning as he rebels against.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Didn't house at some point found a legit way to manage his leg problem, not perfectly healed but able to walk around and stuff. And it wasn't with even more drugs, but he missed being miserable.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Valid point.

I'm clueless so I had to hear from a bunch of people, no Walter White is not a good dude. No, FIght Club is not inspirational however much your credit card debt sucks. But it predated 9/11 :smuggo:

Awful lot of Zoomers absolutely correct that the Narrator is a whiny cuck with a good job, health care and benefits and needed to STFU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Zedd posted:

Didn't house at some point found a legit way to manage his leg problem, not perfectly healed but able to walk around and stuff. And it wasn't with even more drugs, but he missed being miserable.

Yeah, briefly.

from Wikipedia's Season 3 Synopsis posted:

Early in the season, House temporarily regains the use of his leg due to ketamine treatment after he was shot in the season two finale. Later in the season, he leaves a stubborn patient in an exam room with a thermometer in his rectum. Because House is unwilling to apologize, the patient, who turns out to be a police detective, starts an investigation around House's Vicodin addiction.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Shrecknet posted:

Awful lot of Zoomers absolutely correct that the Narrator is a whiny cuck with a good job, health care and benefits and needed to STFU

I was just about the right age for fight club but seriously it's like, Goddamn dude get a Nintendo or something. You make a gazillion dollars letting society shred your ~beautiful artist soul~ you can afford a dang therapist.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

purple death ray posted:

I was just about the right age for fight club but seriously it's like, Goddamn dude get a Nintendo or something. You make a gazillion dollars letting society shred your ~beautiful artist soul~ you can afford a dang therapist.
The Narrator would absolutely post on /pol/ and self-radicalize today. He has suffered nothing except a slight decrease in his social value (and the total atomization of community we all have as victims of capitalism), and would be ripe to go Eliot Rodgers.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

DrBouvenstein posted:

Holy poo poo, that was terrible. Not just the aforementioned bad shots and choreography, but the loving script and acting was poo poo. Is it that bad in the rest of the movie?

Granted, I only just started watching Avatar for the first time, since it just hit Netflix. Everyone says it's one of the best cartoons, though I'm not super impressed so far, but I'm keeping an open mind...I have to remember it was designed for 8-14 year-olds, not a man in his 30's. But even I can tell, from just the few episodes I watched and that few minute clip, that that movie is the biggest slap in the face to Avatar.

Holy lord, what the hell?

The best thing about the Avatar movie was this review: https://www.theguardian.com/film/2010/aug/12/the-last-airbender

the guardian posted:

English language can be a treacherous and slippery thing, with some entirely innocuous words changing their character as they cross the Atlantic. This has sadly been the case with the new movie from M Night Shyamalan, which has just arrived here from Hollywood, a deeply serious and long fantasy epic – the first in a number of parts, in fact – based on an animated TV series. For a British audience, the film's language is inadvertently flavoured by associations and nuances that are vulgar, abusive, and very, very unfortunate indeed.

Firebenders. Earthbenders. Waterbenders. And airbenders. At the cinema showing I attended, the British crowd reacted derisively at key dialogue moments. One wise old lady says solemnly to a young man: "I could tell at once that you were a bender, and that you would realise your destiny." One character tells another wonderingly: "There are some really powerful benders in the Northern Water Zone." Another whispers tensely: "We want to minimise their bender sources." A key figure is taken away by brutal soldiers, one of whom shouts cruelly: "It's… a bender."

And so on, for almost two hours. Each time, the response from the auditorium was deafeningly immature, and brought many of us to a state of nervous collapse. By the end of the film, I felt like a bit-part player in some feature-length adaptation of Viz comic – Springtime for Finbarr Saunders, perhaps. This scene will inevitably be repeated in every cinema in the land showing The Last Airbender. For Friday and Saturday night showings, the police may have to be called.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Felonious_Monk posted:

Yea, I'm rewatching now and a running theme that I think is really neat is that masters of each element aren't just powerful benders, but people with the ingenuity to use their power outside of a rigid ideology and improvise.

Self-taught water bender versus a master who won't teach fighting techniques to women.

TheKennedys posted:

content: PYF MASH episode, none have aged well but mine is anything with Col Flagg

Or anything with Sidney.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

mllaneza posted:

Self-taught water bender versus a master who won't teach fighting techniques to women.

Or anything with Sidney.

This is maybe my favorite fight in the whole show. If not that it's the part where Toph kicks an iron door down, faceplants into it, then stands up with the door wrapped around her like Iron Man.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Lobster God posted:

The best thing about the Avatar movie was this review: https://www.theguardian.com/film/2010/aug/12/the-last-airbender

Yes, I’m a forty nine year old British man, and the last few pages have taken me back to school days.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Lobster God posted:

Finally figuring out what it meant by "bender" after re-reading it for five minutes was worth every second of confusion.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Azula's breakdown near the end of the series was disturbingly real.

Kaiser Mazoku has a new favorite as of 00:12 on May 29, 2020

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

pentyne posted:

Finally figuring out what it meant by "bender" after re-reading it for five minutes was worth every second of confusion.

This also makes the Futurama robot much much funnier if you're from here.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

HopperUK posted:

What about the wrestling episode?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

HopperUK posted:

Except the wrestling one and the one where he became a fem-bot.

They were, well, TV episodes that did not age well.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

There were a lot of lol trans jokes in the late 90s early 00s in animated cartoons that read really poorly now.

Then you got South Park doubling down on the whole idea and running the idea into the ground all the way to bedrock with a smug "both sides are dumb" attitude.

Maybe I haven't watched recently, but it seems like South Park almost reversed the ageing process some point during the 2000s, where the humor became 99% Matt and Trey's dumbass libertarian "both sides" thing and since 2016 they shifted back to wacky hi-jinks with some social commentary.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I know (anecdotally) two women with endometriosis and I can't even imagine the pain from it. Women have a higher pain tolerance/threshold but just ouch.

And then on DXM, the d is for dextro which means "right" in latin

Essentially that means it fucks you up good and proper but has no pain killing properties. You just walk around like a robot disconnected between mind and body.

I used to love that stuff

the fascinating thing about endo is that the pain levels can vary wildly from 'you'd never notice' to 'really bad cramps' to 'doubled over in agony during your period and unable to walk some days'. these don't necessarily correlate to how much tissue the endo has 'grown' in your body, either (i'd have to imagine the location matters tho)

my sibling had a really nasty case of the last category until various hormone treatments and i had the middle with rare worse days until starting BC. (both of us got our diagnosis because they did surgery to remove cysts and tested them)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Tenebrais posted:

Have any of you ever seen a cable network get into a weird state where they would only ever show one episode of a show that has whole seasons, every day? I saw it a few times growing up, usually with shows they only recently started airing.

The network over here that had Futurama would, for weeks, only air the Bender sex change episode. Not a great introduction to the series.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Azula's breakdown near the end of the series was disturbingly real.

really reminds you that in addition to everything else, she's above all a 14 year old girl who is a victim of child abuse

i'm not arguing she had no predisposition to act like a sociopath but with ozai as a father she barely actually had a chance

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
the cactus episode inspired a bunch of kids at my summer camp to go buy what they thought were hallucinogenic cacti and were instead those ugly weird ornamental yellow and red balls on top of a green spike you see near the checkout at home depot.

they decided picking the thorns out was too cumbersome, so they tried spraying it down with Axe body spray and lighting it on fire.

The camp banned all staff from owning non-bugspray aerosol cans, including easy cheeze, and lighters. no one died. the tent did not survive.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

muscles like this! posted:

The weirdest part of the M Night Avatar movie is how he changed the way names are pronounced. This wasn't a book adaptation, he had the way the creators intended the names to be said from the show itself.

I'm dreading the upcoming wheel of time show because I don't want to find out how wrong I've been about what people's names are supposed to be.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

they decided picking the thorns out was too cumbersome, so they tried spraying it down with Axe body spray and lighting it on fire.

The camp banned all staff from owning non-bugspray aerosol cans, including easy cheeze, and lighters. no one died. the tent did not survive.

Kids need to be taught how bad it is for burning tent material to get anywhere near you when they go camping. I used to know a guy who has massive scarring all along his arm because he reached into a tent that was burning to save some stuff. It apparently attached like a second skin and the plastic material fused aggressively into the top remaining layers of his epidermis.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
this wasn't plastic but canvas soaked in so many years of fire retardant that the fabric itself was unharmed, the wax-like layers of teen boy funk and bugspray caking the inside is most of what started smoking.

with you 100% on melting plastic though

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

purple death ray posted:

This is maybe my favorite fight in the whole show. If not that it's the part where Toph kicks an iron door down, faceplants into it, then stands up with the door wrapped around her like Iron Man.

Or all of Toph's first episode, especially Water Tribe supremacy.

This one's brilliantly animated and fought with such ferocity and sincerity by Katara that it's a good candidate for the top spot. This clip has two great facial expressions from Master Pakku; the "oh poo poo" while he's dodging, and the "did an untrained 15 year old bender almost take me out ?" look at the end.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

the_steve posted:

Wasn't House another example of Tyler Durdenism?
Like, you're supposed to realize that he's an utterly toxic rear end in a top hat that normal people can't stand to be around, but idiots idolize him because he gets to flick his cigarette in everyone's face before riding off on his motorcycle to go be right about everything.

Rick Sanchez seemingly has that mantle now. Like, I initially enjoyed Rick and Morty but I've made zero effort to watch new episodes because of this realization. It doesn't help that the fanbase is some kind of toxic, and apparently the new ones are getting panned.

I did enjoy the Lone Wolf and Cub inspired short with them, though. Good animation, good fight scene.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

purple death ray posted:

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Zedd posted:

They went back and forth on the leg pain for a variety of reasons. He temporarily recovered after being given ketamine in the beginning of season 2 because Hugh Laurie was getting actual leg pain from being forced to walk with a cane all the time. He once got rid of the pain with methadone but stopped taking it because his new found niceness caused him to go with a patient's parents' suggestions to give their son an MRI that turned out to nearly kill him which led House to realize he needs to be miserable to be a good doctor. Finally, later seasons had him get clean of his Vicodin addiction completely (but probably not the pain) because Fox was starting to get nervous about promoting drug addiction by having a functional addict as a protagonist.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

mllaneza posted:

and the "did an untrained 15 year old bender almost take me out ?" look at the end.
F'narr f'narr.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
My only issue is how Toph was apparently the first person in history to figure it out. Like, no one else before her made the connection that metal is a mineral from the earth, therefore it can be bended?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

My only issue is how Toph was apparently the first person in history to figure it out. Like, no one else before her made the connection that metal is a mineral from the earth, therefore it can be bended?

Somebody has to be the first.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I can bend metal with my hands it's not so special.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Toph is implied to have a much deeper connection to the earth since she also senses vibrations to see, and learned earthbending from blind badgermoles, probably the first person to do it since people first learned it from them in the misty past.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Shocking missed opportunity for the movie to not include Dwayne Johnson as the Boulder.

Felonious_Monk posted:

Katara's season 3 revenge trip against the guy who killed her mother is a fantastic example, she learns that the dude is now a simpering old man, and comes within a hair of killing him before realizing it would accomplish nothing. Yet she doesn't forgive him, she just leaves without a word and acknowledges that she really wanted to murder that guy. The gulf between letting past hurt go and embracing people who hurt you is a fantastic lesson, and one that I think would've been botched or oversimplified in another kids' show. Basically, check out AtLA

I liked that the guy was a worthless nobody and there was no epic boss fight. You don't need to be a blood crazed psychopath to do evil things, you can be a mediocrity who just wanted to rise in the ranks. The banality of evil in a kid's show.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

In the show she's actually bending the the trace amounts of crude unrefined "earth" in the metal rather than the processed metal itself, and it's more or less said outright that she was able to discover them because of her unique way of seeing.

This is the reason given in the Korra sequel for why they can't bend platinum: there aren't enough impurities for them to manipulate. And boy is there a lot of it. Enough to build a kaiju-sized mech out of it.

By comparison, you could probably gather up all the real world's platinum and fit it in a NYC apartment.

Dreadwind
Dec 1, 2009

Shrecknet posted:

The Narrator would absolutely post on /pol/ and self-radicalize today. He has suffered nothing except a slight decrease in his social value (and the total atomization of community we all have as victims of capitalism), and would be ripe to go Eliot Rodgers.

Yeah, Tyler Durden is a complete authoritarian rear end in a top hat who goes way too far in the idealization of the noble savage. But I always felt for the Narrator, I felt that Fight Club was the perfect movie at the end of 90's to show that if you made a shitload of money that just wasn't enough. Eventually you had to reckon with the fact that you were doing monstrous things in order to make that money (his job was literally to calculate human life vs. profit). It was so close to recognizing that human life was so much more than generating profit, the movie's only failing in my view was that it reverted to just destroying everything and hoping that the next generation will do better (same issue with V for Vendetta).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
The great Gen X cop-out: "Man, all this poo poo sucks. I sure hope someone figures out how to fix it someday. Well, what are ya gonna do?" *Pixies song starts playing*