Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Then I'm having a hard time understanding how people get invested in this world and in this narrative.

They like the game so they read about it :shrug:

Most people aren't super invested in it if by that you mean care about the setting more than the game mechanics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Back when I played Magic (I quit like 20 years ago now, and even then no-one was playing for ante) you got a vague idea of what was going on and who the characters were in the metanarrative from the titles, art and flavour text on cards ("Urza is a dude who makes lots of artifacts.") but if you wanted to know the actual narrative you had to read the novels. And even people who read star wars novels looked down on people who read M:tg novels. Basically you either cared enough about the story to read the books (almost no one) or you didnt care at all (pretty much everyone).

There were CCGs which made more of an effort to incorporate narrative into the game one way or another. Doomtown and 7th sea for example. But both of those were based on RPG settings. Doomtown was pretty good for giving the overall story from the cards and their interactions (they had a card type called "events" which typically were a big story beat with an associated effect, so you knew for example when the sheriff faction had ambushed the outlaw faction) but it could go kind of wrong. They had a tournament at some convention to determine the outcome of the storyline, and it resulted in one faction being literally destroyed so they were no longer tournament legal and wouldnt get any more cards. People who layed that faction were obviously not impressed. My memory is a little hazy but I believe the reason the winners of the tournament picked that faction to go was because a very nasty broken deck was based around a couple of cards from that faction. So to put it in M:tg terms, imagine if people got so annoyed at control decks they managed to win tournaments and Wizards of the Coast agreed that they wouldnt produce any more blue cards, ever. I think they had assumed that whoever won the tournement would choose to spare all the factions, but...

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

SiKboy posted:

Back when I played Magic (I quit like 20 years ago now, and even then no-one was playing for ante) you got a vague idea of what was going on and who the characters were in the metanarrative from the titles, art and flavour text on cards ("Urza is a dude who makes lots of artifacts.") but if you wanted to know the actual narrative you had to read the novels. And even people who read star wars novels looked down on people who read M:tg novels. Basically you either cared enough about the story to read the books (almost no one) or you didnt care at all (pretty much everyone).

Out of curiosity I read the Ice Age tie in novel, it was very bad. Ice Age was the first full expansion, and it was probably the first time they had a cohesive set of flavor texts on the cards. In all likelihood they probably had a few notes and then just wrote things that sounded cool on the cards.

The novel was really just an excuse to tie as much of it all together into a book, and there were many, many embarrassing passages that were only describing the art on some of the cards. I don't have any answers to any questions about this as this was probably around 2003.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Then I'm having a hard time understanding how people get invested in this world and in this narrative.

Holy poo poo, I was just in the US politics thread and thought this was a post there, and I was like, yeah, I hear you

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Iron Crowned posted:

Out of curiosity I read the Ice Age tie in novel, it was very bad. Ice Age was the first full expansion, and it was probably the first time they had a cohesive set of flavor texts on the cards. In all likelihood they probably had a few notes and then just wrote things that sounded cool on the cards.

The novel was really just an excuse to tie as much of it all together into a book, and there were many, many embarrassing passages that were only describing the art on some of the cards. I don't have any answers to any questions about this as this was probably around 2003.

The book sounds as bad as that set was lol

I mean there may have been worse ones, and there were some cool ideas, but Ice Age was pretty bad

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Maybe it's a discussion that would make more sense in the RPG theory thread or the TG industry thread.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Bloop posted:

The book sounds as bad as that set was lol

I mean there may have been worse ones, and there were some cool ideas, but Ice Age was pretty bad

Wow, I don't think I can respect your wrong opinions anymore.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Iron Crowned posted:

Wow, I don't think I can respect your wrong opinions anymore.

some of the art was good and some of the cards were neat.

Hell I started playing when The Dark was new and I still build decks using cards from revised to present

Not many ice age cards make their way in. I do have a few glacial chasms for yuks. And an aurochs deck but that mostly came from coldsnap or something later

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I read the onslaught and mirrodin books in highschool and they were pretty solid reads. I will not revisit them in 2020 to find out otherwise

One of the newer ones was apparently incredibly bad. Karn the pacifist became a Dynasty Warriors character and just murdered dudes by the hundreds and apparently in the lore Chanda was being written as at least bisexual possibly a lesbian and the guy wrote her as 100% straight

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
TV episodes that did not age well: Magic The Gathering Online Exchange

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Didn't hone of the first M:tG books also come with a SUPER SPECIAL PROMO CARD that could only be gotten from buying the book, so it increased sales because people wanted th card...but also the card sucked and no one used it anyway?

Fake edit:
Yup...even better, TWO free unique cards:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DrBouvenstein posted:

Didn't hone of the first M:tG books also come with a SUPER SPECIAL PROMO CARD that could only be gotten from buying the book, so it increased sales because people wanted th card...but also the card sucked and no one used it anyway?

Fake edit:

Arena was actually good, the other one sucked.

Arena eventually got reprinted years later as a special timeshifted card in Time Spiral, aka the world is going crazy the set.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DrBouvenstein posted:

Fake edit:

I have two copies of the Arena card from that promo (never read the book)

It's fine. Decades later it basically became the Fight mechanic

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

DrBouvenstein posted:

Fake edit:

I read a couple of those books back when. The only thing I really remember is the protagonist being super thirsty about a centaur lady's "thumb sized nipples"

Hellequin
Feb 26, 2008

You Scream! You open your TORN, ROTTED, DECOMPOSED MOUTH AND SCREAM!
I read a few of the Magic short story collections as a kid and I remember most of the stories being mostly awful with one or two fun ones. The one I remember most is about a camp aide who gets captured by goblins and wins over the tribe with his lead miniatures of little goblin dudes, becomes their chief and teaches them tactics with miniature wargaming. Ends with the goblins defeating the human army and the aide getting his come uppance on the jock knight who made fun of him. Incredibly stupid but also kind of charming because it was unashamedly camp.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
shaddup nerds

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Lmao magic the gathering has characters and storylines and stuff? Hahaha

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I guess it could count as a tv show if you slotted the cards into a zoetrope and span it.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
How about you ‘magically’ ‘gather’ your cards and go home, losers.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Magic: The Gathering is a 27 year old franchise with 74 full novels, at least a dozen comic series, hundreds of web-only short stories, 2 video games, and over 20,000 unique cards. IIRC, it also has some sort of video content on youtube.

Asking how a monolithic media franchise generates an entrenched fanbase is mind-bogglingly dumb exceedingly goony.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Every trading card game has stories, the only one that really doesn’t is like Pokémon but that’s because the story is it’s own thing completely independent of the card game

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Toshimo posted:

Magic: The Gathering is a 27 year old franchise with 74 full novels, at least a dozen comic series, hundreds of web-only short stories, 2 video games, and over 20,000 unique cards. IIRC, it also has some sort of video content on youtube.

Asking how a monolithic media franchise generates an entrenched fanbase is mind-bogglingly dumb exceedingly goony.

I'm not talking about the very fact that there's a fanbase, I'm talking about people engaging with a narrative using an inherently non-narrative game. Just like I don't get why people care about the backstory of individual characters in Overwatch, a team-based arena shooter where you are at best engaging with a randomly generated stage with archetypes which multiple players can pick simultaneously and show no growth you have personal engagement in.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Hell there was even a TV show, although it wasn't about the lore, it was literally two guys playing Magic for 20 minutes. I think it was called Spellslingers.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Most people at work play magic. They talk about it constantly but they're not talking about the dang story

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
collectible cards are a good medium to tell bits of a narrative, and then some people go and enjoy that narrative for its own sake. i don't personally, but it's the same principle behind enjoying literally any piece of non-interactive media and acting like it's impossible to understand is bizarre

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
I lived with people who ran a Magic shop, held multiple WotC sponsored events, and were high-level tournament judges or whatever. Caveat: I don't play and don't give a gently caress about it, but I am a nerd.

The story literally never came up. There'd be some random mention of something like, "Holy poo poo, I'm so hype to see what new cards they have for Ravinica!" or whatever when a release was coming up, but for a bunch of lore dorks, these two never even remotely hinted that there was a worthwhile story in the card game they based their livelihood off of.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The story's like the art. At base level neither add to the game, but they add to the experience. It makes it a little more interesting outside of the mechanics and gameplay.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Nerdgames developing a metanarrative goes at least as far back as Dragonlance, which was an AD&D campaign setting AND a trilogy of novels and a set of modules that let you play through the action of the novels as the characters, and it was this whole multimedia approach that was very successful and so every other game line tried it.

Magic had some hints of an overall setting in the beginning, a few sets developed it further (Antiquities introduces Urza and Mishra and so on), Ice Age had this storyline of a world getting covered in perpetual winter, and Weatherlight kicked off this very direct cycle of stories of a specific group of heroes going on an epic adventure and that went on for a few years.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I lived with people who ran a Magic shop, held multiple WotC sponsored events, and were high-level tournament judges or whatever. Caveat: I don't play and don't give a gently caress about it, but I am a nerd.

The story literally never came up. There'd be some random mention of something like, "Holy poo poo, I'm so hype to see what new cards they have for Ravinica!" or whatever when a release was coming up, but for a bunch of lore dorks, these two never even remotely hinted that there was a worthwhile story in the card game they based their livelihood off of.

Yeah, the D&D group I'm running for used to play Magic if some of them got there early or if there weren't enough people to play an actual session, and one of them lent me the Ravnica book just because they wanted a character option from there, but they never actually talked about the lore, just about deck types and stuff.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Iron Crowned posted:

Hell there was even a TV show, although it wasn't about the lore, it was literally two guys playing Magic for 20 minutes. I think it was called Spellslingers.

Netflix is working on a TV show

Toshimo posted:

Way more than 2 videogames

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Len posted:

Way more than 2 videogames

I don't recall any other ones than Shandalar and DotP having any story to them, but I could have miscounted.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Battlegrounds on Xbox had a story too, iirc.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

edit: Screw it. Like all threads this has descended into Magic the Gathering.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 01:50 on Jun 6, 2020

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Toshimo posted:

I don't recall any other ones than Shandalar and DotP having any story to them, but I could have miscounted.

There's a Diablo-like Magic game currently in development, but how much of a story it will have isn't clear yet.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.
M:tG is weird to me, in that I really like the overarching story of the early sets but dislike most of the books.

Like, I still think that the Brother's War could make for an interesting movie because both Urza and Mishra were awful people and that could be interesting to watch. But the books were mostly crap.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Maxwell Lord posted:

Nerdgames developing a metanarrative goes at least as far back as Dragonlance, which was an AD&D campaign setting AND a trilogy of novels and a set of modules that let you play through the action of the novels as the characters, and it was this whole multimedia approach that was very successful and so every other game line tried it.

Magic had some hints of an overall setting in the beginning, a few sets developed it further (Antiquities introduces Urza and Mishra and so on), Ice Age had this storyline of a world getting covered in perpetual winter, and Weatherlight kicked off this very direct cycle of stories of a specific group of heroes going on an epic adventure and that went on for a few years.

Yeah Ursa and Mishra were the original two wizards battling in the OG magic set. The battle you reenact in OG Magic brought about the ice age.

I was casual enough that I kinda enjoyed the story elements, didn't effect my lovely decks, but it was fun to think about.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What are works that regressed socially with time? As in the early parts have aged well but the later stuff feels small-minded?

i don't think the early parts aged particularly well, but pierce from the community pretty much underwent a gradual metamorphosis into caricature where he became a yellow-face wearing, out-and-out racist whereas, iirc, the original concept for the character was that he was a kind of time capsule: an old man set in ways the world left behind long ago going to college in his later years who, thanks to new college experiences, can actually learn from mistakes the new setting exposes in him and maybe he'll come around?

i guess you could think of it as a flanderization of turning someone who's more insulated and out-of-touch into someone more like richard spencer

hard counter has a new favorite as of 02:02 on Jun 6, 2020

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What are works that regressed socially with time? As in the early parts have aged well but the later stuff feels small-minded?

Perhaps the initially diverse cast gradually phases out the POC characters and sidelines the female ones. Or the writer's room shrinks and loses the voices that gave the work its selling point. Or maybe they go far in trying the appeal of the work they shave off all the edges?

I'm reminded of how the Simpsons had a positive gay character in an early episode. Then six years after the show turned to poo poo (post-season 8) the writers wanted Harvey Fierstein to reprise his role for another episode. He refused because the script was full of broad, offensive humour at the expense of the gay community.

Trailer Park Boys.

it's weird, because it's not a gradual thing; the show's original run and the first Netflix season are honestly really, really LGBTQ-positive, with multiple gay or bisexual characters who don't really ever have that aspect of their lives directly played as a joke. hell, the first Netflix season expands it to being openly trans-positive, with a genderqueer character who's overall handled really pleasantly.

then immediately after that Netflix season, they just swing incredibly hard in the opposite direction. firstly, they change the genderqueer character into a binary trans woman, which is more annoying to me than actively angering me but is still a problem because even halfway-decent NB representation is hard to find and they more or less nuked theirs from orbit. the bigger issue is that they then make Donna into a serial rapist who repeatedly assaults Randy. i probably really shouldn't have to explain why doing that with a trans character is staggeringly awful. I dropped the series at that point, but from what I understand this doesn't get better and they're still being nasty as gently caress to LGBTQ people out of nowhere.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

I saw this on ESPN6 once yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

Trailer Park Boys.

it's weird, because it's not a gradual thing; the show's original run and the first Netflix season are honestly really, really LGBTQ-positive, with multiple gay or bisexual characters who don't really ever have that aspect of their lives directly played as a joke. hell, the first Netflix season expands it to being openly trans-positive, with a genderqueer character who's overall handled really pleasantly.

then immediately after that Netflix season, they just swing incredibly hard in the opposite direction. firstly, they change the genderqueer character into a binary trans woman, which is more annoying to me than actively angering me but is still a problem because even halfway-decent NB representation is hard to find and they more or less nuked theirs from orbit. the bigger issue is that they then make Donna into a serial rapist who repeatedly assaults Randy. i probably really shouldn't have to explain why doing that with a trans character is staggeringly awful. I dropped the series at that point, but from what I understand this doesn't get better and they're still being nasty as gently caress to LGBTQ people out of nowhere.

Are there clear reasons this happens? Like some creator went from studio/network oversight to free reign and loving went balls deep into alt-right lol trans people humor?