Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

Krispy Wafer posted:

Scott Pilgrim is 23 and Knives has a birthday during all this so at that point they are 5 years apart. Not great, but not 'carry around an age of consent card reference card in your wallet' bad.
Knives doesn't turn eighteen until the last volume, when Scott is already twenty-four, so it's something like six and a bit years. She reveals in that scene that they met on her seventeenth birthday, and Scott responds "So... uh... how's it feel to be... uh... no longer a child in the eyes of the law?" with an arrow pointing to his face that says "Sketchy-rear end 24-year-old".

I got out my copy of the final volume to double check the dialogue, and I have to post the quote on the back.

The back of Scott Pilgrim's Finest Hour posted:

"Scott Pilgrim is the best book ever. It is the chronicle of our time. With Kung Fu, so, yeah: perfect."
-Joss Whedon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!

Shwoo posted:

I got out my copy of the final volume to double check the dialogue, and I have to post the quote on the back.

Oof, that definitely didn't age well.

Honestly, I've never understood when people are critical of Scott Pilgrim for being a creepy, trash person. I am forced to assume they never read it, because as has been pointed out, that is what the story is actually about.

I particularly like how his bitch ex that ruined him was maybe a bit of a jerk, but was pretty much justified in her treatment of Scott. Scott presents the breakup as being entirely down to her being evil, when in reality it was because she wanted to grow up and be an adult and he didn't. Scott acted like a whiny little baby about it and she cut him out. They even get to have some closure later when they both mature a bit and Scott realizes what he'd done.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Krispy Wafer posted:

We might be overthinking morality in Scott Pilgrim's world. An innocent child gets disintegrated during their Battle of the Bands and no one even blinks.

This is completely accurate to real world Toronto, let’s be honest.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Lemony posted:

Honestly, I've never understood when people are critical of Scott Pilgrim for being a creepy, trash person. I am forced to assume they never read it, because as has been pointed out, that is what the story is actually about.

There are a lot of people who don't understand that just because a character is or does [bad thing] doesn't mean the writer is condoning it.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Shwoo posted:

Knives doesn't turn eighteen until the last volume, when Scott is already twenty-four, so it's something like six and a bit years.

Man, way back I tried dating this one girl where we had the exact same age difference, except we were both two years older (i.e. she was 19 and turned 20, I was 26 and about to turn 27) so less creepy. Things manifestly failed to go anywhere, we were simply in too dissimilar places EVEN THOUGH I might at the time count as an immature manchild. At least I had the good sense to just bow out and not bother anyone about it.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Shwoo posted:

Knives doesn't turn eighteen until the last volume, when Scott is already twenty-four, so it's something like six and a bit years. She reveals in that scene that they met on her seventeenth birthday, and Scott responds "So... uh... how's it feel to be... uh... no longer a child in the eyes of the law?" with an arrow pointing to his face that says "Sketchy-rear end 24-year-old".

6 years seems like nothing now, then I remembered back in college when I cut ties with a dude because he was 24 and hitting on my 18 year old friend and it creeped everyone out.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Lemony posted:

It's almost like the idea that someone can slowly, painfully come to the realization that they aren't really a good person and then start the long, slow, difficult process of changing themselves for the better is uncomfortable or hard to accept.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I've seen people level the same complaint at High Fidelity, and it's like yea, Rob is an absolutely poo poo person and treats everyone in his life terribly while moping about he's the victim. He eventually starts to get his act together thanks to his girlfriend, though I think it's clearer in the book. in the book at the end he starts making a mixtape for this zine girl interviewing him, and he catches himself falling back into old behavior and has a "what the gently caress am I doing?" moment of clarity which I don't remember being in the movie but it's been a while.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Len posted:

And unrelated to the above problems I thought a luchador showing up to fight vampires was hilarious but didn't find out until well after that movie that luchadors fighting monsters is just a thing so it wasn't unique and also they used a Santo mask and had a guy be Santo.

El Diablo Robótico!

Probably my favourite thing in Angel.

"Hey Wesley, did you know the Devil made a robot?"

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Megillah Gorilla posted:

El Diablo Robótico!

Probably my favourite thing in Angel.

"Hey Wesley, did you know the Devil made a robot?"

No, no, no

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Not in the problematic sense but Game of Chairs has gotten even funnier now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhWUFXvaZjo

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

There's a scene in Garth Marenghi's Darkplace where a giant eyeball-monster with a massive penis has intercourse with a man, and then the man instantly gives birth to a baby eyeball-monster.

What dates the scene for me is that the hospital porter who appears in the same scene is played by Graham Linehan.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

There's a scene in Garth Marenghi's Darkplace where a giant eyeball-monster with a massive penis has intercourse with a man, and then the man instantly gives birth to a baby eyeball-monster.

What dates the scene for me is that the hospital porter who appears in the same scene is played by Graham Linehan.

Sounds like Graham’s vision of what women’s bathrooms must be like.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I think Linehan's also in the last episode, where a woman is turning into broccoli and Sanch has to have his penis amputated. I really need to rewatch Darkplace.

geeko55
Jun 11, 2013

Darkplace is probably my favorite British comedy, and really Graham Linehan being in it at all is the only sour spot in my opinion.

Still loads of fun, even after I've watched it multiple times over.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Darkplace is the only time someone making something so bad it's good on purpose worked because they put in an amazing amount of effort into it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

I sincerely love Garth Merenghi's Darkplace, except for this scene. It's the only thing that really breaks the illusion for me; everything else is feasibly something you could sort of imagine happening in a show like what Darkplace is pitched as, but that scene is just too graphic and overt, you couldn't possibly pass it off in the same way as everything else.

Even then the episode is saved by the ballad about the dead son, though.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

There was an episode of Avatar where they sneak into a fire nation town during a big celebration. That celebration? It's called Fire Fest.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

grittyreboot posted:

There was an episode of Avatar where they sneak into a fire nation town during a big celebration. That celebration? It's called Fire Fest.

Was it a disaster?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I've been watching Cowboy Bebop for the first time, and for the most part it ages really well, especially the stuff you probably wouldn't expect to. Its approach on the future being to ignore the big fancy stuff and go 'regular life is lovely in mostly the same ways as it is now, it's just in space instead' is great.

...really could've done without the totally random and inconsequential trans panic character that turns up for one story around the middle, though.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Interestingly it looks like the line "anything but blue" was added to the English dub, where in the Japanese dub she says something like "kawaikune" meaning, that's not cute or something. Problem is I don't really get this line either. Jupiter Jazz could have been the best episodes but I think the commentary on trans people was a huge misfire
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVD7wVm629Q

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

I honestly don't get what Jupiter Jazz is trying to say about trans people because 1. Gren is a sympathetic character. 2. The only person who has any reaction to his condition is Faye and 3. Faye's reaction is very over the top. The whole subplot always felt tacked on and I never got why it was there in the first place. I guess the most likely scenario is that it didn't really intend to say anything about trans people but ended up sending the wrong signals anyway.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah, it's been a while since I've seen it but I think they were going for (a very unfortunate take on) body horror (if I recall, Gren's transformation was explicitly because of military experimentation or something rather than something voluntary) rather than making any intended commentary about trans people.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
The real crime is not watching the English dub of Cowboy Bebop.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

docbeard posted:

Yeah, it's been a while since I've seen it but I think they were going for (a very unfortunate take on) body horror (if I recall, Gren's transformation was explicitly because of military experimentation or something rather than something voluntary) rather than making any intended commentary about trans people.

It's all a bit muddy. Gen develops gynecomastia (males growing breast tissue) after being unwillingly subjected to experimental drugs in prison that increase his estrogen levels. But, his sax scene clearly mimics The Crying Game with all the baggage that entails.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
on the other hand, Ed is a very apt portrayal of a kid who is non-binary. They probably should have just made the whole thing into one episode and omitted the weird parts with Gren's apartment

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Toshimo posted:

It's all a bit muddy. Gen develops gynecomastia (males growing breast tissue) after being unwillingly subjected to experimental drugs in prison that increase his estrogen levels. But, his sax scene clearly mimics The Crying Game with all the baggage that entails.

Yeah, it's the sort of thing where it's not unsalvageable, but in its current form is the worst-aged part of the entire show because of it.

I feel like a modern version of it would either cut out that entire subplot, because it really doesn't do anything, or rework it to be... you know, NOT the worst possible angle they could've taken. The on-paper details of him as a character aren't terrible, it's that what little they do with him is basically a list of the worst choices they could've made.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Mark Millar makes one-shot comics for the sole purpose of them being movie fodder. Throw him on the pile.
Wanted is the only comic I finished reading in the last, I dunno, decade? It’s not movie fodder it’s a deliberate troll of comic fans.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, it's the sort of thing where it's not unsalvageable, but in its current form is the worst-aged part of the entire show because of it.

I feel like a modern version of it would either cut out that entire subplot, because it really doesn't do anything, or rework it to be... you know, NOT the worst possible angle they could've taken. The on-paper details of him as a character aren't terrible, it's that what little they do with him is basically a list of the worst choices they could've made.

The one thing you might take from that scene is that maybe it's about how Faye isn't as worldly as she seems to be. It would make sense as Vicious episodes usually developed that aspect of her personality. That's probably the most charitable interpretation I can come up with.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

sweet geek swag posted:

The one thing you might take from that scene is that maybe it's about how Faye isn't as worldly as she seems to be. It would make sense as Vicious episodes usually developed that aspect of her personality. That's probably the most charitable interpretation I can come up with.

Faye is kind of a dumbass, but streetsmart as hell. They just needed a better portrayal of Gren and what was going on with their poo poo.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Faye also came from an era where VHS and Betamax were king

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

Faye is kind of a dumbass, but streetsmart as hell. They just needed a better portrayal of Gren and what was going on with their poo poo.

Like the entire point of Faye's storyline is about how her street smarts aren't actually real, and she's just a really adaptable liar. She doesn't actually understand how criminals and the like operate and it's why she is constantly getting in trouble when she runs up against the real deal.

Faye pretending to act tough and then reacting with horror at something outside her actually limited experience is very on point for her. It also doesn't really solve the problem of Gren's presentation and only the problem of Faye's reaction to him.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Remulak posted:

Wanted is the only comic I finished reading in the last, I dunno, decade? It’s not movie fodder it’s a deliberate troll of comic fans.

Wanted is the one where the dude kills his supervillan dad and gets a bajillion dollars, right? And it ends with him boasting about being rich and banging hot chicks and calling the readers pussies because they wasted their time reading it?

Because yeah, that comic is a ride. And somehow still got made into a movie.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Remulak posted:

Its not a troll, every Millar comic is unintentionally bad in that way.

You could make an argument that the man made a career in trolling but that way lies irony poisoning.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Mark Millar is garbage, just complete trash

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

purple death ray posted:

Mark Millar is garbage, just complete trash

He licks goats

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Samuringa posted:

Its not a troll, every Millar comic is unintentionally bad in that way.
They're not, which really makes it worse. Millar can do fun, light-hearted stuff when he wants to, he just chooses to make edgy poo poo most of the time.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

They're not, which really makes it worse. Millar can do fun, light-hearted stuff when he wants to, he just chooses to make edgy poo poo most of the time.

He did a good Superman, as I recall.

Although thinking about it, there's a few comics writers who often did bad work but turned in good Superman. I think it's because Superman is so very staunchly the antithesis of the sort of writing they naturally lean towards, so they can't fall into their usual traps.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

VanSandman posted:

He licks goats

Free Travis Charest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Cleretic posted:

He did a good Superman, as I recall.

Although thinking about it, there's a few comics writers who often did bad work but turned in good Superman. I think it's because Superman is so very staunchly the antithesis of the sort of writing they naturally lean towards, so they can't fall into their usual traps.

Theres a long standing rumor that Red Son (and a lot of Millars other early work up through the early 2000s) had significant input from Grant Morrison helping him out. Although I would back up what Doctor Spaceman said; Millar is actually capable of some good comicbook writing when he chooses to be (I'd actually recommend "Jupiters Legacy" as being legitimately good, and surprisingly bereft of his usual tics), its just that he finds it easier (and more profitable) to write edgelord juvenile schlock. After all, he made big money for adaptations of Wanted and Kick-rear end, why try harder?