Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Asinine Tails posted:

Both.

They said:
"2 reasons :
a) We are not Muslims, and as such, it is disrespectful and irresponsible for us to use the word jihad in our band's name.
B) Interesting historical figure as he was, Andrew Jackson was an odious person and our fascination with him has grown stale."

I didn't even realize they had changed their name. My ex and I did a trip to see them back in, 2015? And I thought they were still using both at that point, so I have no idea when they would have changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Wheat Loaf posted:

Yes, I heard about that. I suppose blackface was acceptable back when he last did it. In 2010-2011. :v:
I sort of vaguely thought that was not as horrible in England because they're British and clueless about race relations or something.

I pretty much just watched the show because I'd seen David Walliams on the 2006 Big Fat Quiz of the Year and thought he was funny. His pretending to be flamboyantly gay is kind of troubling. On the other hand his first children's book was about a boy who likes to wear girls clothing and apparently was pretty cute and nice. I'd like to see the movie they made from it.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

trickybiscuits posted:

I sort of vaguely thought that was not as horrible in England because they're British and clueless about race relations or something.

We showed this until 1978: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_and_White_Minstrel_Show

Suffice to say blackface is not ok here either.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

trickybiscuits posted:

It is exactly as horrible in England; the British empire was a thing so it's not like we don't have deeply embedded cultural racism of our own.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I don't think he was saying it was less offensive, I think the argument was that the offense has a harder time getting traction, because yeah we have been incredibly terrible about race relations in this country and the only reason we're not far worse off is because of other policies that incidentally take the worst edges off racism; the NHS treats everyone so it's harder to create a situation of BME people having vastly inferior healthcare; only a very small proportion of our coppers carry guns as a matter of course, which makes it harder to execute black men in the streets.

It is not remotely difficult to find people here who yearn for the Empire, and who think getting upset about blackface or Gollywog dolls is absolute twaddle. Which I guess makes a kind of sense; If you think the Empire that starved millions of Bengalis within living memory and brutally exploited Africa, for two examples, was a good thing, then yeah you've probably made your peace with 'mere' racist imagery and symbolism.

Still better than the Dutch though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember reading about a survey indicating that the BAME population of Britain is predominantly south Asian rather than black, and historically Britain's non-white population has constituted a smaller proportion of the overall population than African-Americans do in the USA (the figures might be out of date now - I read this a number of years ago). While we continue to experience persistent systemic problems as a consequence of racism, the race-relations dynamics of the country are different and consequently these problems manifest in different ways than they do in America.

For instance, I read an article a while ago arguing that black British actors were actually statistically over-represented on television (it had a bunch of graphs and tables and numbers about demographics and percentages I had a hard time reading) and it was British Asians who were most under-represented, which is why Citizen Khan has such a secure place on the BBC schedule despite not being very good: it's immensely popular with middle-class British Asian audiences simply because there are no other shows on TV which are about middle-class British Asians.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
There was also that sitcom/talkshow combo the Kumars at No 42. I remember it being amusing.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Goodness Gracious Me was genuinely funny too.

You’re right. Its rare to see British Asian people on mainstream TV. Even Eastenders, set in East London, doesn’t have any Asian characters at the moment.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
If countries were people there’d be a PSA commercial of Britain yelling at America and asking why we’re all racist. “I learned it from watching you, Dad! I learned it from watching you!”

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One somewhat amusing factoid that was pointed out to me on another site is that given the size of the cast, one of the most racially diverse sitcoms we've ever had is actually Red Dwarf.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Emmy award winning show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRtx33R4XhU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Mister Adequate posted:

I don't think he was saying it was less offensive, I think the argument was that the offense has a harder time getting traction, because yeah we have been incredibly terrible about race relations in this country and the only reason we're not far worse off is because of other policies that incidentally take the worst edges off racism; the NHS treats everyone so it's harder to create a situation of BME people having vastly inferior healthcare; only a very small proportion of our coppers carry guns as a matter of course, which makes it harder to execute black men in the streets.

It is not remotely difficult to find people here who yearn for the Empire, and who think getting upset about blackface or Gollywog dolls is absolute twaddle. Which I guess makes a kind of sense; If you think the Empire that starved millions of Bengalis within living memory and brutally exploited Africa, for two examples, was a good thing, then yeah you've probably made your peace with 'mere' racist imagery and symbolism.

I always struggle to explain to my mum why golliwogs are racist, because waving one's arms and shouting "just look at it" isn't a very compelling argument.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

purple death ray posted:

Eh Futurama never clicked with me the same way the Simpsons did. I've never really understood what was supposed to be so great about it.

Just wrong right here.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
If anything, The Simpsons is the one that confuses me. I've seen dozens of episodes from a bunch of different seasons and I've come to the conclusion that it's just a really boring and unfunny show (at least to me). Also it's profoundly ugly and the color scheme alone makes my eyes want to burst.

I'm no super fan of Futurama, but at least it's a reasonably funny and dynamic show.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Portlandia's popularity is totally confusing to me. Yes, I like Carrie Brownstein and Fred Armisen. Yes I know what hipsters are like. You got any humor for me? No? Ok then I'm not interested in seeing your sketch comedy show

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Wheat Loaf posted:

One somewhat amusing factoid that was pointed out to me on another site is that given the size of the cast, one of the most racially diverse sitcoms we've ever had is actually Red Dwarf.

I never was sure what Lister's ethnicity is, but sounds right.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Inescapable Duck posted:

I never was sure what Lister's ethnicity is, but sounds right.

Craig Charles's father was from Guyana, and Danny John-Jules's parents were from Dominica.

Framptonlive
Nov 22, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Goons hate popular show. Shocking.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

The Man in the High Castle is a recent, ongoing show (based on an older book but w/e) but it already aged poorly because the best, most sympathetic character on the show by far is a literal Nazi

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

U-DO Burger posted:

The Man in the High Castle is a recent, ongoing show (based on an older book but w/e) but it already aged poorly because the best, most sympathetic character on the show by far is a literal Nazi

I'll have you know that Nobosuke Tagomi is most certainly not a Nazi. :colbert:

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Lmao that horrific marvel-Northrup Grumman team up that marvel had to drop like a hot coal has comic panels that look like they would have aged poorly if they came out like 25 years ago, let alone a 2017 release

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

SEX BURRITO posted:

Goodness Gracious Me was genuinely funny too.

You’re right. Its rare to see British Asian people on mainstream TV. Even Eastenders, set in East London, doesn’t have any Asian characters at the moment.

This is very true, on both counts. I still find myself wanting to shout "I want the blandest thing on the menu!" from time to time.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's funny how hating the military-industrial complex has become pretty much the default position for anyone not an extremely vocal Trump supporter or corporate America.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Aesop Poprock posted:

Lmao that horrific marvel-Northrup Grumman team up that marvel had to drop like a hot coal has comic panels that look like they would have aged poorly if they came out like 25 years ago, let alone a 2017 release

He has midriff boobs

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Inescapable Duck posted:

It's funny how hating the military-industrial complex has become pretty much the default position for anyone not an extremely vocal Trump supporter or corporate America.

I believe General Dwight D. Eisenhower used some of his last speeches as president to express his suspicion of the military-industrial complex and that was in 1960.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I just really like airplanes, and they're the ones who make the ones with guns on them.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Strom Cuzewon posted:

because waving one's arms and shouting "just look at it" isn't a very compelling argument.

Ah, I see someone's never attended my seduction techniques seminar

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Inescapable Duck posted:

Inside of a year that panel has gone from out of touch to noxiously offensive corporate propaganda.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Wheat Loaf posted:

I believe General Dwight D. Eisenhower used some of his last speeches as president to express his suspicion of the military-industrial complex and that was in 1960.

Yeah, he used the exact phrase "military industrial complex" and lamented the fact that every dollar spent on bombs was a dollar not spent on healthcare, education and housing.

He also threatened to disband the CIA at one point

Ike ruled

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Pastry of the Year posted:

... just gotta say, I love that croissant in your avatar.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Pastry of the Year posted:

Jokes on you, I only make love with the lights off (socks on, missionary only)

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Aesop Poprock posted:

Portlandia's popularity is totally confusing to me. Yes, I like Carrie Brownstein and Fred Armisen. Yes I know what hipsters are like. You got any humor for me? No? Ok then I'm not interested in seeing your sketch comedy show

I just binged watched the first season, and it's basically Little Britain, without Tom Baker

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

I'm fond of him

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Mister Adequate posted:

I said it because I live in the US and don't know much about England. But I have learned a lot from this discussion.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I've watched the first bit of a documentary about British TV called "Who Killed Saturday Night TV?" and so far it's sort of interesting as someone not from the UK about rise and fall of various popular Saturday Night programs.

It sort of reminds me how in the US that Friday and Sunday nights used to be pretty big television nights in the 80s and 90s. Fridays had the mass of sort of family sitcoms for a long time. Sundays would be where I seem to recall a lot of movie of the week would air. Then it seemed like at some point that all just vanished. The ABC TGIF line sort of become irrelevant, the movie of the week went away, etc.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Ike's one of my favorite Presidents, ever since I did a shitload of reading about him in college.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

JediTalentAgent posted:

I've watched the first bit of a documentary about British TV called "Who Killed Saturday Night TV?" and so far it's sort of interesting as someone not from the UK about rise and fall of various popular Saturday Night programs.

It sort of reminds me how in the US that Friday and Sunday nights used to be pretty big television nights in the 80s and 90s. Fridays had the mass of sort of family sitcoms for a long time. Sundays would be where I seem to recall a lot of movie of the week would air. Then it seemed like at some point that all just vanished. The ABC TGIF line sort of become irrelevant, the movie of the week went away, etc.

Movies of the week stopped being a thing because of cheap VHS and DVD releases. Even into the 80s VHS tapes were priced for rental stores.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Movies of the week stopped being a thing because of cheap VHS and DVD releases. Even into the 80s VHS tapes were priced for rental stores.

Even with that, though, the movie of the week sometimes felt like they were planned as pilots or something for series that eventually never got made. Or you'd get stuff that was long-cancelled TV shows getting reunion movies like the Incredible Hulk ones, I Spy, The $6B Man/Bionic Woman. I think CHiPs and a Rockford Files got similar treatments on cable in the early 00s.

I guess we're sort of seeing a version of that with things like the X-Files revival miniseries.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Perestroika posted:

I'll have you know that Nobosuke Tagomi is most certainly not a Nazi. :colbert:

*nods sagely* :respek:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

JediTalentAgent posted:

The Simpsons was joking about this as early as 1997. "Lisa, when you get a little older, you'll realize that Friday is just another day between NBC's Must-See Thursday and CBS's Saturday night crap-o-rama."