Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
https://youtu.be/7tiUI-5xJQI

Liza ,noooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Blue Moonlight posted:

The creators apparently considered making more explicit reference to it, but decided that “Friends” wasn’t the appropriate vehicle to discuss such a serious topic, which was probably the right call. Otherwise, the thread title would be Media that did not age well: Friends 8x03: The One On 9/11.

"Could there be any more dead firefighters?"

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Someone wrote a great Seinfeld 9/11 script a few years ago:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B50l484pDaMobXI2Wk5CX0NMbkU/view

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Chandler happens to be near ground zero and gets interviewed on TV. Joey sees it, sandwich in hand, mouth covered in tomato sauce, bemoans "Man why couldn't have I been at the World Trade Center that day?? I could go so many auditions with that in my resume. Stupid sandwich!"

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Ross's then girlfriend gets killed on 9/11

Viewers: "ugh shut up Ross"

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Janice falls from the WTC, yelling “Oh! My! Gawdd!” all the way down.

I am going to hell.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
I like Friends.

Ambitious Spider posted:

Been rewatching x-files and just rewatched genderbender, the one with the aliens that swap gender and kill people by having really good sex with them, and are also Amish. It’s a little dated but the worst thing is Scully saying it’s more likely a “transvestite” than an alien. It helps that it spends more time with the Amish angle than the gender angle, but especially by 93 standards it’s not egregious.

The funniest part of that episode is Mulder and Scully immediately treating it like an x-file when they find out their suspect has sex with men AND women???

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

somepartsareme posted:

I like Friends.

The funniest part of that episode is Mulder and Scully immediately treating it like an x-file when they find out their suspect has sex with men AND women???

That kind of ties into my biggest complaint-mulder is pretty much always right. We learn early on that aliens are objectively real. I wish it had been kept ambiguous longer, it would have made Deep Throat loving around with mulder more impactful if there was the possibility he was covering up more mundane sinister government actions with disinformation about aliens.

I kind of remember them playing with that a little later on in the show, but it doesn’t work great if the viewer knows mulder is right even if he has doubts

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
I don't know if this has been mentioned but as a fan of Aliens, I only found out this year that Pvt. Vasquez is played by a white woman wearing contacts and full-body makeup.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Ambitious Spider posted:

That kind of ties into my biggest complaint-mulder is pretty much always right. We learn early on that aliens are objectively real. I wish it had been kept ambiguous longer, it would have made Deep Throat loving around with mulder more impactful if there was the possibility he was covering up more mundane sinister government actions with disinformation about aliens.

I kind of remember them playing with that a little later on in the show, but it doesn’t work great if the viewer knows mulder is right even if he has doubts

Mulder is always right except for that one stigmata episode in which the roles were completely reversed and Mulder was a big ol meanie for not being Christian

IMO the x-files is prime "quaint 90s." I wish the worst we had to worry about the government was an alien coverup

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
I never made it past season 4 of X Files (and so help me, I tried, but it started getting too much into the over-arching conspiracy stuff for me at one point, I really prefer the creepy yet contained vibe of the monster-of-the-week episodes), but it's such a comfort show in how evocatively 90s it feels, at least in those early episodes. I think if the show were made today I would have a lot less love for it.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

the first couple seasons of x-files, twin peaks, and bossanova by the pixies are like 90s chicken soup

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I don't know if this has been mentioned but as a fan of Aliens, I only found out this year that Pvt. Vasquez is played by a white woman wearing contacts and full-body makeup.

Huh, I did not know that either.

Googling Vasquez led me to her actor's IMDB bio and ooh boy:

quote:

Jenette Goldstein is a true chameleon. She is so effective as an actress, it is nearly impossible to recognize her from role to role. Jenette spent most of her childhood in Los Angeles. Born to theater-loving parents, she attended fine arts-oriented schools, and was the young star of the drama classes. She often competed in citywide drama competitions with soon-to-be famous peers Val Kilmer, Gina Gershon, Kevin Spacey and Mare Winningham. To hone her craft after high school, Jenette studied at London's Webber Douglas Academy of Dramatic Art, and at Circle in the Square Theater in New York City, mastering drama theory, physicality, dialects and the classics. It was in London, while performing in local theater productions, where Jenette answered an audition request for American actors with British Equity cards. Thinking it was another play or a small film, she read for a tough, macho Latina character, named 'Vasquez'And shot to fame in James Cameron's iconic film Aliens (1986). Cameron was so pleased with Jenette's creativity and strong work ethic, recast her as 'Janelle' in Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991) and a cameo role as the loving 'Irish Mother' in the epic Titanic (1997).

On an unrelated note, these bios are either written by publicists or egomaniac actors, right? Because they are always the most bombastic, self aggrandizing cringe fests. Case in point.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Kevin DuBrow posted:

That came out the same year as Soul Man. It's practically woke by 1980s standards.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

AceOfFlames posted:

On an unrelated note, these bios are either written by publicists or egomaniac actors, right? Because they are always the most bombastic, self aggrandizing cringe fests. Case in point.

I'm sure they're written by the agency and probably just pasted from other promo materials.

The thing I knew about her was that she came to the audition dressed as a turn-of-the-century immigrant because she misunderstood the title of the film, but I didn't know she was white until just now.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
A friend of mine turned me onto Blank Check recently and I’ve been listening to their Cameron episodes. Apparently that actress has played a bunch of different ethnicities for some reason and also owns a company that sells large size bras.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

AceOfFlames posted:

That's underselling the story:

quote:

Since Goldstein didn't have an agent, that was all the information that she had to go on. While she had seen the film "Alien," she did not know that they were doing a sequel, so she figured that it was for a film about immigration. She told Starlog:

“I had seen Alien, but I had no idea this was a sequel. It had been so long ago, it didn’t even occur to me. I thought it was about actual aliens, you know, immigrants to a country. I was wondering why they wanted Americans. I figured the movie was about lots of different immigrants to England.”

So she showed up at the audition wearing "high heels and lots of makeup, and I had waist-length hair." She figured out that something was way off when everyone else was wearing army fatigues. It was when she went in read and saw posters for "The Terminator" that she knew that she was really in trouble. In a brilliant twist of fate, though, the nice blouse that she was wearing happened to be sleeveless, which showed off Goldstein's arms. She had taken up bodybuilding recently and it showed in her arms.

She later recalled, "'She said, ‘Are you an actress or a bodybuilder?’” Goldstein laughs. “I was a gymnast. I just happened to be in the best shape of my life.'"

So they agreed to see her again, only this time she wore army boots and pulled her hair back and everything and eventually, she got the role.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Henchman of Santa posted:

A friend of mine turned me onto Blank Check recently and I’ve been listening to their Cameron episodes. Apparently that actress has played a bunch of different ethnicities for some reason and also owns a company that sells large size bras.

She was kinda stacked, HTH

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

She was kinda stacked, HTH

hth with what? It would be weird to have that company if she wasn’t!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Are you saying that you never watched Terminator 2?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

https://youtu.be/v5RZ8k6iQik

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Kojiro posted:

If you're looking for unproblematic media

I don't think this exists.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I beg to differ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAIGb1lfpBw

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Ambitious Spider posted:

Been rewatching x-files.
I love Scully's line at the start of Gender Bender where she questions why anyone would have sex with a stranger in this day and age (1993).
It's extra amusing as Gillian Anderson is very sex positive.

The other episodes that date poorly always use another culture's mythology as a MOTW.

Even back then they were poorly received as awkward appropriations.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Mooseontheloose posted:

Pre-World War two the United States was still mostly farming communities. You were expected to help at home and build the farm but it took off when the suburbs were accessible after the highway system and cars became common place.

this isn't quite true, suburbs started to grow in earnest as soon as mass automobile ownership became a thing in the early 20th century. the highways were just a new, larger phase of suburban development, with preceeding phases based on cheap cars, electric streetcars, and trains. even then young adults were constantly setting out on their own, even if you didn't move cross country you might drift towards the nearest midsize city with more job opportunities if hanging around your hometown wasn't appealing

the big shift in young adults being able to live independently was the increase in globalization and international shipping in the mid 20th century, which triggered mass outsourcing and loss of well paying industrial jobs. nowadays if you want a 'good' job you either have to go to college or a skilled trade of some kind, there's very few jobs that pay well that don't have some kind of degree or certification attached. used to be you could go straight from graduating high school to working at the broom factory and even if you didn't climb the career ladder you could still get paid enough to live decently

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

The first like, seven notes of the recorder part had me afraid that this was some cheerful kitty version of Look Down from Les Miserables.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Fully agree. Jojo is still a loving mess in particular though :v:

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

El Fideo posted:

The first like, seven notes of the recorder part had me afraid that this was some cheerful kitty version of Look Down from Les Miserables.

Damnit, now I want a version of Les Mis with cats. Just think of how cute it would be!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Damnit, now I want a version of Les Mis with cats. Just think of how cute it would be!

They uh, got some weird history with stage musicals and cats

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Unless Tom Hooper directs, otherwise it would literally be the worst thing in the world.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

AceOfFlames posted:

Unless Tom Hooper directs, otherwise it would literally be the worst thing in the world.

I know everyone says that Cats should have been done with costumes, but that's the coward's way out. Costumes are for Broadway. Besides, it's a terrible musical anyway. So my suggestion is that for the film, they should have just used actual cats. In a world where CatMovieFest2020 is a real thing, that would have sold like hotcakes.

Can the cats act? Of course not. But with the right director and cameraman, I'm sure it could work. So, eh, not Toby Hooper.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I would have watched Tobe Hooper's Cats, that's for sure.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Sobatchja Morda posted:

I know everyone says that Cats should have been done with costumes, but that's the coward's way out. Costumes are for Broadway. Besides, it's a terrible musical anyway. So my suggestion is that for the film, they should have just used actual cats. In a world where CatMovieFest2020 is a real thing, that would have sold like hotcakes.

Can the cats act? Of course not. But with the right director and cameraman, I'm sure it could work. So, eh, not Toby Hooper.

You can corral a cat in the general direction with a laser pointer, it'll be fine

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Yeah, when I turned 18 (end of the 90's) I immediately moved out of my parent's house and managed to live pretty well on a single full time job at a grocery store as a full time stocker. Had to have a roommate, lived in a lovely part of town, had to choose between gas and food every once in awhile, and basically lived in the cold all winter to keep the gas bill own, but I was able to live. There might be areas where something like that is still possible, but it sure as poo poo ain't in any major city.
That's living "pretty well" to you? :stare:

WescottF1 posted:

For some reason, everyone's wages were posted on the breakroom wall. I found that to be odd.
Presumably to show that everyone was being paid "fairly". Most employers don't like people to share that kind of information because it makes it harder to underpay people.

SaintFu posted:

I feel like this has been posted before, but
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BFSZ8XzWOM
Lisa Kudrow's line about tennis being more believable was pretty good.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Blue Moonlight posted:

Janice falls from the WTC, yelling “Oh! My! Gawdd!” all the way down.

I am going to hell.

After Phoebe's estranged dad dies in WTC building 7, she keeps getting victim compensation checks. She gets increasingly freaked out as they keep coming.

Also Friends was in the same cinematic universe as Mad About You, which has to be one of the most popular shows to completely fall off cultural radar the moment it went off the air. It had a revival last year and no one cared.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

Krispy Wafer posted:

After Phoebe's estranged dad dies in WTC building 7, she keeps getting victim compensation checks. She gets increasingly freaked out as they keep coming.

Also Friends was in the same cinematic universe as Mad About You, which has to be one of the most popular shows to completely fall off cultural radar the moment it went off the air. It had a revival last year and no one cared.

No joke about Mad About You. I thought it was something that lasted a season and then I read about and was like "Wow... This was a hit, huh?"

I feel like the Drew Carey Show kind of disappeared too. But maybe I just don't look in the right places.

Or maybe they want to keep it slightly hidden to better protect that Price is Right sterility.

Zurtilik has a new favorite as of 13:55 on Aug 25, 2020

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Tiggum posted:

Presumably to show that everyone was being paid "fairly". Most employers don't like people to share that kind of information because it makes it harder to underpay people..

:lol: I have definitely worked places where discussing how much you are paid is a fireable offense listed in the employee handbook.

Zurtilik posted:

I feel like the Drew Carey Show kind of disappeared too. But maybe I just don't look in the right places.

Drew Carey was on TBS for a long time in the late 90's/early 00's.

It was most recently on Laff (a OTA subchannel), for a few years, but it hasn't been on there for a while. It'll probably come back at some point when According to Jim, Night Court, or Home Improvement wear out their welcome in a few years.

Iron Crowned has a new favorite as of 13:59 on Aug 25, 2020

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

Iron Crowned posted:

:lol: I have definitely worked places where discussing how much you are paid is a fireable offense listed in the employee handbook.

Zurtilik has a new favorite as of 14:12 on Aug 25, 2020

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Krispy Wafer posted:

To be fair, the revival was one of those bullshit provider specific channels so it isn't too weird that people don't even know it happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Iron Crowned posted:

Drew Carey was on TBS for a long time in the late 90's/early 00's.

It was most recently on Laff (a OTA subchannel), for a few years, but it hasn't been on there for a while. It'll probably come back at some point when According to Jim, Night Court, or Home Improvement wear out their welcome in a few years.

Every retail or retail adjacent place I ever worked had the whole “discussing your pay is a fireable offense” included. It’s almost universal in the U.S. to my knowledge, maybe outside of union places where everyone knows the wage scale.

The Drew Carey Show, and similarly Spin City, are shows I remember airing on like TBS or TNT late at night or very early in the morning while both were still originally airing (They didn’t end until 2004 and 2002, respectively, which is later than I thought either did), as well as on local WB networks prior to it switching to CW in 2006, although I can’t recall either showing up much since...