Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Sunswipe posted:

For the cast or the audience?

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Sunswipe posted:

For the cast or the audience?

For the benefit of anyone who doesn't know, B5 lost more principal cast members by its 20th anniversary than Star Trek did by its 50th.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MariusLecter posted:

Binged LEGION season 2 recently and I am dismayed at the choices made on this show.

First that it was getting stupid and convoluted, then it was really stupid and baffling THEN it was loving CRINGE.

It makes a decent recovery in season 3.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
legion is a great show and i'm still kind of amazed how badly people reacted to the concept that the main character of a show could be a lovely person and a bad guy, and that a show told from his perspective might've elided some things or overlooked some perspectives like he did

but people have that issue with a lot of media, i find

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
A lot of really popular shows have lovely main characters, it’s possible legion might just be bad

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Nah, it’s pretty good

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Maybe they could do Babylon Five TNG or a remake. I've never seen it so I don't know how either suggestion would make sense.

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009
Legion got really really bad. David is a rapist now, can the x-team that includes the shadowking (aka the guy who abused David his whole life and has been raping people for centuries), stop him from destroying the world? Why should I care? All these people are terrible.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
well, if we're going to break out of the spoiler tags: legion is a show about a guy named david who thought he was insane and it turned out he had superpowers, on top of not being very well. the first season is about him learning what he can do and how everyone's super scared of him because he could potentially do anything (but don't worry, he's convinced himself he's a good person and he has a hard enough time dealing with the disembodied evil taking up space in his head and dealing with a relationship with syd, the first woman who's ever expressed interest in him). the second season is trying to get things to 'normal' but the evil has escaped and is trying to convince people that as soon as david realizes truly that he can do whatever he wants the world is going to go to poo poo, and then it turns out that maybe david's been doing poo poo subconsciously this entire time... including potentially having convinced his love interest to fall in love with him since episode one (since she's been otherwise written fairly clearly to have never wanted to be close to anyone in her entire life)

syd realizing this and going 'yo i want my space to try to comprehend this a little better' leads david to overstep and "make her try to feel better by making her worries go away" and even though he goes back on it before doing anything even worse this obviously makes syd freak out even harder & it ends on everyone going "okay yeah maybe we do need to control him before things get apocalyptic" and it turns out david doesn't like that very much at all

it's genuinely well done and a lot of people flipped out b/c they couldn't believe someone who's so nice and has constantly been saying he's a good person to himself for the entire run of the show would "suddenly" do something so bad & to those people i say 'maybe talk to some women in your life about the situations they've been put in and how they can't trust most people anymore'

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

flatluigi posted:

well, if we're going to break out of the spoiler tags: legion is a show about a guy named david who thought he was insane and it turned out he had superpowers, on top of not being very well. the first season is about him learning what he can do and how everyone's super scared of him because he could potentially do anything (but don't worry, he's convinced himself he's a good person and he has a hard enough time dealing with the disembodied evil taking up space in his head and dealing with a relationship with syd, the first woman who's ever expressed interest in him). the second season is trying to get things to 'normal' but the evil has escaped and is trying to convince people that as soon as david realizes truly that he can do whatever he wants the world is going to go to poo poo, and then it turns out that maybe david's been doing poo poo subconsciously this entire time... including potentially having convinced his love interest to fall in love with him since episode one (since she's been otherwise written fairly clearly to have never wanted to be close to anyone in her entire life)

syd realizing this and going 'yo i want my space to try to comprehend this a little better' leads david to overstep and "make her try to feel better by making her worries go away" and even though he goes back on it before doing anything even worse this obviously makes syd freak out even harder & it ends on everyone going "okay yeah maybe we do need to control him before things get apocalyptic" and it turns out david doesn't like that very much at all

it's genuinely well done and a lot of people flipped out b/c they couldn't believe someone who's so nice and has constantly been saying he's a good person to himself for the entire run of the show would "suddenly" do something so bad & to those people i say 'maybe talk to some women in your life about the situations they've been put in and how they can't trust most people anymore'

Need to add Legion to the list with Passenger that reads completely different to each gender.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I’m starting to think TNG is the only Trek worth rewatching

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean if you don’t find anyone likable and don’t want to watch it because of that it’s fine, you don’t have to prove anything to people online

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean if you don’t find anyone likable and don’t want to watch it because of that it’s fine, you don’t have to prove anything to people online

Wrong

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

WRONG

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009
Legion Talk

Except Syd was written as someone who thought relationships were impossible because of her power, then found it wasn't true. And Syd's realization that she needed space from David came after she spent hours around the shadowking and his puppet being brainwashed (they do all the music cues). Then David uses mind control to get her back (and make her have sex with him, entirely out of character for him. They try to imply that David has been using his powers on her the whole time subconsciously. This is the WORST. If he was using his power accidentally to make Syd fall in love with him then he is an "accidental rapist," which is terribly bankrupt writing, or David is a monster lying to himself in season 1, which really doesn't jive with the writing. And most monsters don't really worry about being a good person.

Also, having the shadowking around to work with the "good guys," screws everything up. Anything David has done the shadowking has done for hundreds of years deliberately. Confronting David with his abuser on hand is super duper hosed.

There is a lot of talent involved in Legion. But they decided to use that talent to tell the story of the amazing mentally-ill accidental mindrapist, and his abuser who's a hero now for some reason. It's gross, reinforces gross tropes, and I think you could get what they were going for without trivializing abuse.

Slowpoke Rodriguez has a new favorite as of 02:52 on Sep 9, 2020

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Slowpoke Rodriguez posted:

Legion Talk

Except Syd was written as someone who thought relationships were impossible because of her power, then found it wasn't true. And Syd's realization that she needed space from David came after she spent hours around the shadowking and his puppet being brainwashed (they do all the music cues). Then David uses mind control to get her back (and make her have sex with him, entirely out of character for him. They try to imply that David has been using his powers on her the whole time subconsciously. This is the WORST. If he was using his power accidentally to make Syd fall in love with him then he is an "accidental rapist," which is terribly bankrupt writing, or David is a monster lying to himself in season 1, which really doesn't jive with the writing. And most monsters don't really worry about being a good person.

Also, having the shadowking around to work with the "good guys," screws everything up. Anything David has done the shadowking has done for hundreds of years deliberately. Confronting David with his abuser on hand is super duper hosed.

There is a lot of talent involved in Legion. But they decided to use that talent to tell the story of the amazing mentally-ill accidental mindrapist, and his abuser who's a hero now for some reason. It's gross, reinforces gross tropes, and I think you could get what they were going for without trivializing abuse.

Even worse: if you think about it, each of the show's 3 seasons ends with the Shadow King getting what he wants:

Season 1: He manages to gain a physical body (though not David's).
Season 2: He gets his original body back and manages to turn everyone against David.
Season 3: He convinces his past self to leave David alone since it won't make him happy and he gets away scot-free, "joking" that in the future he and David should take over the world together.

AceOfFlames has a new favorite as of 03:37 on Sep 9, 2020

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm watching DS9 and, while some aspects have aged poorly, it's good TV.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
It sounds like Legion hit the same problem Heroes had: the breakout star was the villain, so they had to keep finding ways to keep the villain around.

See also: The Flash and Arrow, several times each. Fortunately they have Legends of Tomorrow for all their 'we like this actor/character, but don't have anything for them to do anymore' needs.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Cleretic posted:

It sounds like Legion hit the same problem Heroes had: the breakout star was the villain, so they had to keep finding ways to keep the villain around.

not in the slightest

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Cleretic posted:

No. The twist is that the hero was revealed to be the true villain. The primary villain was not truly introduced until the second season either.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Henchman of Santa posted:

No. The twist is that the hero was revealed to be the true villain. The primary villain was not truly introduced until the second season either.

to be fair i'd say "one of the villains" and it's definitely a 'nurture not nature' thing; if david had been raised differently he would've turned out much differently and certainly a lot less broken

anyway this show went off the air last year and saying it aged badly is like saying the sopranos aged badly b/c the protagonists killed people sometimes; it's an intentional part of the show that you're relating to someone who turned out to not be the best person in the long run. like breaking bad.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

One of the worst offenders I can think for the male homophobia is the episode where Freddie Prinze Jr. plays a warm, well-educated, caring nanny and Ross is just hardcore loving against hiring him as a nanny because he's a dude even though Rachel thinks he's great and that Ross is a loon. But Ross just can't let that poo poo go because being a nanny is too girly for a man and that's wrong.

And then the episode ends with Rachel agreeing that it is weird and they fire him.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I've watched a few choice episodes of DS9 before trying it from the start. Half of the premiere is just Sisko babbling with an alien-entity about how time works. Is there a lot of this navel-gazing in the rest of the show?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

Maybe they could do Babylon Five TNG or a remake. I've never seen it so I don't know how either suggestion would make sense.

B5 was an internally complete narrative and something like 85 of the 110 episodes were written by one man. A sequel would be very hard to pull off - especially since the overlap between characters who survived the show and actors who are still alive is virtually nil - and a remake wouldn't have the twists. Plus there's an executive still at Warner who despises the show, which is why there hasn't been a proper HD version.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

If he was using his power accidentally to make Syd fall in love with him then he is an "accidental rapist," which is terribly bankrupt writing
How so? :confused:

And most monsters don't really worry about being a good person.
Don't they? :crossarms:

Yeah? So? What about that makes the show bad?

his abuser who's a hero now for some reason.
He's not. He's very clearly the lesser of two evils.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I've watched a few choice episodes of DS9 before trying it from the start. Half of the premiere is just Sisko babbling with an alien-entity about how time works. Is there a lot of this navel-gazing in the rest of the show?
No. There is some, but there are plenty of good episodes as well.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Passengers was one of the creepiest movies I've ever seen and the idea that there are men who would legitimately think that's a romantic thing to do is loving terrifying.

Re: Legion, a villain opposing another villain doesn't mean either of them are good.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Not really, no. Though the show is concerned with matters of emotion and character, grief and pain, religion and faith, that sort of stuff.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Jedit posted:

Plus there's an executive still at Warner who despises the show, which is why there hasn't been a proper HD version.

Who's this twit, and why does he hate the show?

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009

Tiggum posted:

How so? :confused:

Don't they? :crossarms:

Yeah? So? What about that makes the show bad?

He's not. He's very clearly the lesser of two evils.

No. There is some, but there are plenty of good episodes as well.

If david can't control brainwashing people into loving him, its not really his fault when he does it, so that makes him an innocent abuser. Which is gross given what we know about real abusers.

Brock Turner definitely doesn't worry about if he is a good person.

Shadowking has never been shown to be a lesser evil. The people in season 2 who tell us david is going to destroy the world we know were brainwashed by shadowking, its not trustworthy information.

Slowpoke Rodriguez has a new favorite as of 13:50 on Sep 9, 2020

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Lesser of two evils seems like a cartoon premise I thought Legion was a more serios show

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

Lesser of two evils seems like a cartoon premise I thought Legion was a more serios show

A cartoon premise...or the freaking presidential election?!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Henchman of Santa posted:

A cartoon premise...or the freaking presidential election?!

American elections are basically an episode of Captain Planet so this checks out

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit

CommissarMega posted:

Somebody doxxed him a while ago, it should be easy to find with a google, not that it really matters.

As to why, it's because of a bunch of internal politics at WB/PTEN. Basically if things from one group do well, then the other group does worse because reasons. The group that didn't include B5 won the power struggle so if B5 were to do well or get some attention it would give face to the other group which is absolutely unacceptable in a corporate environment.

The stakes are incredibly low and the winnings are incredibly stupid but that's corporate America for you.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Incelshok Na posted:

Somebody doxxed him a while ago, it should be easy to find with a google, not that it really matters.

As to why, it's because of a bunch of internal politics at WB/PTEN. Basically if things from one group do well, then the other group does worse because reasons. The group that didn't include B5 won the power struggle so if B5 were to do well or get some attention it would give face to the other group which is absolutely unacceptable in a corporate environment.

The stakes are incredibly low and the winnings are incredibly stupid but that's corporate America for you.

Isn't that the same sort of thing that hosed up Firefly's run on tv?

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Incelshok Na posted:

This is basically how all TV networks operate. A lot of good BBC stuff gets cancelled after 1 or 2 series or never gets beyond a pilot because there's a constant revolving door of executives and every one of them immediately cancels everything their predecessor commissioned because it makes them look bad if someone else's show does well.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

CommissarMega posted:

Anyone who's seen the show would be my guess.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sweevo posted:

This is basically how all TV networks operate. A lot of good BBC stuff gets cancelled after 1 or 2 series or never gets beyond a pilot because there's a constant revolving door of executives and every one of them immediately cancels everything their predecessor commissioned because it makes them look bad if someone else's show does well.

Venture Bros is the latest casualty of this process. That's a show that has aged especially well for the era in which is was made, outside of some unfortunate insensitive trans stuff early on before they figured out exactly who all the characters were.

Few shows that have been on tv for 18 years manage to stay so consistently good or to age as well. Of course, most shows that have been on tv that long have more than 7 seasons at the end of it too.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Sunswipe posted:

Anyone who's seen the show would be my guess.

:yeah:

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
There's an episode of Angel in the second season about zombie cops brutalizing people. At the end of the episode when they've been stopped Angel's cop lady friend list a bunch of crimes that stopped because of the brutal beatings like maybe this neighborhood is better off being under the iron fist of triggerhappy zombie cops? That characterization aged pretty well but I'm not sure if the writers meant it to be viewed negatively.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

If david can't control brainwashing people into loving him, its not really his fault when he does it, so that makes him an innocent abuser. Which is gross given what we know about real abusers.
What is it we know about real abusers? Super powers aside, the "innocent abuser" seems pretty realistic? It's not like they're saying that makes it OK.

Brock Turner definitely doesn't worry about if he is a good person.
How do you know? I would imagine he actually does.

Shadowking has never been shown to be a lesser evil. The people in season 2 who tell us david is going to destroy the world we know were brainwashed by shadowking, its not trustworthy information.
So? What's your point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

the_steve posted:

Isn't that the same sort of thing that hosed up Firefly's run on tv?

No, that was Firefly being garbage.