Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

open24hours posted:

I always thought the very first episode of Red Dwarf was the best. It didn't have the funniest jokes, but it did such a good job of setting up the rest of the show. The first episode of Futurama was the same.

Season 3 is hard to beat. It has the episodes with the body swap, marooned on an asteroid, alien that feeds on negative emotions and the backward universe earth. Using these fantastic sci-fi situations for what's mostly clash of personality humour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Pocket Billiards posted:

Season 3 is hard to beat. It has the episodes with the body swap, marooned on an asteroid, alien that feeds on negative emotions and the backward universe earth. Using these fantastic sci-fi situations for what's mostly clash of personality humour.

Loved Backwards for the manager's rant: "Now I'm not yelling at you, and I'm not yelling at you, I'm yelling at the sad bastard in his living room who's going to bother reversing this scene to see what I'm actually saying!"

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

John Murdoch posted:

STAS is why I'm always confused when people complain about how boring and bad Superman is "because he's invincible" or whatever.

There were some folks who did complain about 20 years ago that Superman:TAS featured a 'weakened' version of the character compared to various comic book incarnations. He could get knocked down a bit more, stunned pretty easily, than some people would have liked.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Superman was "de-powered" gradually after the silver age and then took a big hit after Crisis on Infinite Earths. But yeah the old "literally invincible" Superman still somehow hangs in people's minds.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

SEX BURRITO posted:

The family of John Ritter must have been pissed about how it was handled. The Dad dies off screen, they do a couple of sad episodes, then replace him with a kooky cousin played by David Spade and a grumpy grandpa. Other than a few sappy moments, the Dad isn’t mentioned again.

Even worse the specific time I watched the death episode.

The family finds out their dad has died. Very sad, sombre, of course. Then it cuts to the commercial break and the very first thing is an air freshener advert where a dad is lying face down on the living room carpet surrounded by his family who look at each other and shrug their shoulders. There couldn't have been a less appropriate advert in the world.

It was so loving funny. Every time that episode is brought up I smile.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Yeah it’s my favorite version of the character. I like how from episode one he’s in the costume, in Metropolis, and all the core characters are there. No teenage years, the military isn’t trying to arrest him, just great stories. A few duds here and there (Lobo is Mr. Early 90s edginess) but snagging Malcolm McDowell as Metallo and Michael Ironside as Darkside more than make up for it.

Likewise the Batman the animated series version of Batman is by far the best portrayal since. He isn't just a brooding rear end in a top hat recluse who is angry that criminals killed his parents, he has a genuine sense of justice and compassion for people which applies even towards the villains. People who say the best thing about batman are the villains arent watching enough BTAS.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Yeah it’s my favorite version of the character. I like how from episode one he’s in the costume, in Metropolis, and all the core characters are there. No teenage years, the military isn’t trying to arrest him, just great stories. A few duds here and there (Lobo is Mr. Early 90s edginess) but snagging Malcolm McDowell as Metallo and Michael Ironside as Darkside more than make up for it.
I always thought Lobo was an amusing enough parody of 90s grimdark bullshit, and to its credit (best I remember anyway) the show at least treated him as such. Still though, when it comes to amazing voice casting: Gilbert Gottfried as Mr. Mxyzptlk and Ed Asner as Granny Goodness. :kimchi:

Veotax
May 16, 2006

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

How many episodes end with the last of the Daleks being destroyed?

Every episode they appeared in until Moffat took over, the first Dalek episode of his tenure on the show had the Daleks being revived (again) and escaping at the end so they didn't have to keep explaining how they kept coming back.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
The Dalek who escaped by going through the time vortex and went nuts in the process was pretty cool

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Horace posted:

The family finds out their dad has died. Very sad, sombre, of course. Then it cuts to the commercial break and the very first thing is an air freshener advert where a dad is lying face down on the living room carpet surrounded by his family who look at each other and shrug their shoulders. There couldn't have been a less appropriate advert in the world.

That reminds me of a similar thing from the BSG run. Adama has a breakdown gun to his head, crying and Tigh has to talk him down and they both break down in tears and Comercial starts with "CHEEEEEEZEWIZ ADDS PERSONALITY!"

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The obvious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zcum6lPrRo

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's adverts for shows and TV movies from 1986 that are best for that - you'd get the deep-voiced Don LaFontaine sound-alike menacingly intoning how you will bear witness to some sort of spine-chilling thrilling drama, then at the end this really chirpy-sounding guy pop in and goes, "Friday! :)"

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

NBC Universal blocked this. Is it the infamous Campbell's Tomato Soup sequence?

For those who don't know, it tops BunnyofDoom's example. I never even watched the show and it sticks out in memory. A character rather suddenly grabs a gun and shoots herself in the head, smash cut to commercials. The first ad is for Campbell's Tomato Soup, shown pouring into a bowl in loving slow motion while we hear the lyrics "I just want to celebrate/another day of living..."

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

knife_of_justice posted:

Wow. She looked younger in 8 Simple Rules than Peggy Bundy did in 1987.

Costume and makeup efforts to make a woman loathsome even to a slob like Al Bundy. Didn't work. Man, I had a thing for Peg Bundy.

My wife watches Young and the Restless and Bud Bundy recently got a recurring role. He looks the exact same, just fatter and it's so disturbing. Nice that he's still working at least.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

The best soup sequence ever aired was in Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Choco1980 posted:

For those who don't know, it tops BunnyofDoom's example. I never even watched the show and it sticks out in memory. A character rather suddenly grabs a gun and shoots herself in the head, smash cut to commercials. The first ad is for Campbell's Tomato Soup, shown pouring into a bowl in loving slow motion while we hear the lyrics "I just want to celebrate/another day of living..."

Holy poo poo. I must have missed that one.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Choco1980 posted:

BSG, for those who missed this theatre of the absurd.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEDjAFi7oJ4&t=105s

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

I liked the episode where the Daleks and Cybermen are initially working together but inevitably betray each other:

"You would declare war on the Cybermen? :geno:"
"THIS IS NOT WAR! THIS IS PEST CONTROL! :byodood:"

"Exterminieren! Exterminieren!:byodood:"

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Squidster posted:

Hahahahaha that is perfect

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

SEX BURRITO posted:

The family of John Ritter must have been pissed about how it was handled. The Dad dies off screen, they do a couple of sad episodes, then replace him with a kooky cousin played by David Spade and a grumpy grandpa. Other than a few sappy moments, the Dad isn’t mentioned again.

Nah, the worst part is how Ritter's death was made into a promotion for the series to continue. So a crappy sitcom that wouldn't have lasted that long (and was startlingly misogynistic in the way it treated daughters as property) has a lead die and the result is a bunch of mourning that this year-old sitcom suddenly needed to continue because of a need to remember the guy who was on Three's Company. Nothing against Ritter, but the whole thing stank of using his memory to continue a disposable sitcom.

Instant Sunrise posted:

There’s a persistent rumor that a contractual clause between Terry Nation’s estate and the BBC requires the BBC to use the Daleks once a season or else the rights for them will revert back to the Nation estate.

Personally I think that’s bunk and that the producers just love to run a good villain into the ground by overuse. (See also: every Weeping Angel episode after “Blink.”)

At this point I'm thinking the reason the gaps between Doctor Who seasons are getting longer and longer is because showrunners are having trouble coming up with ideas for it. Granted, sometimes you get very lucky and have a Season 9 with Capaldi doing great work, but overall a lot of the people running it are fans who have been doing creative work with the franchise for decades at this point. Maybe it's collective burnout combined with realizing the fanbase now is more concerned with the Doctor wanting to screw his companion instead of whatever nostalgia they may have for it.

Horace posted:

You know, if the show ended on that note and then cut to static for the next 25 minutes, it would have been the best thing ever. And possibly a more fitting tribute to Ritter because that would have just been hilarious.

Squidster posted:

This is gold.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Similarly bizarre ad/show combo from The Walking Dead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRXNce4unN8

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

Similarly bizarre ad/show combo from The Walking Dead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRXNce4unN8

There was a great advert line up after the Charles Ingram documentary.

Years ago there was an ex-Army Major who cheated his way to a win in the UK version of Who Wants to be a Millionaire? - he had an accomplice in the audience giving him the answers through carefully timed coughs. Great big scandal, loads of investigations, it was a huge media event.

There was a hugely anticiapted documentary on the whole thing a few months later. The first advert, in the first commercial break, was of course for cough syrup. Featuring a large waiting room of people who all, one by one, start coughing loudly.

It was wonderful :allears:

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
in tyool 2017 it's misogynistic to want to make sure your daughters aren't dating assholes -_-

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Ein cooler Typ posted:

in tyool 2017 it's misogynistic to want to make sure your daughters aren't dating assholes -_-

I'm surprised you managed to make this post without using the word 'females'.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Ein cooler Typ posted:

The premise of the show was "I literally own my children and I, not them, get to set the rules surrounding the people they date." :jerkbag:

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Besesoth posted:

The premise of the show was "I literally own my children and I, not them, get to set the rules surrounding the people they date." :jerkbag:

I mean, yes, that is something a parent can do. "You can't date anyone who's not also in high school" would be a pretty basic one.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Olive! posted:

I'm surprised you managed to make this post without using the word 'females'.

ein cooler typ's gimmick is being a unfunny oldpainless

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Choco1980 posted:

Reminds me of when Shepard Smith accidentally showed that guy blowing his brains out at the end of a police chase, then it immediately cut to a commercial for life insurance.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Alaois posted:

ein cooler typ's gimmick is being a unfunny oldpainless

More like oldhumourless.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Volcott posted:

I mean, yes, that is something a parent can do. "You can't date anyone who's not also in high school" would be a pretty basic one.

They really can't do that and I'm most cases that it applies they don't.

The law is mostly what stops that.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

CharlestheHammer posted:

They really can't do that and I'm most cases that it applies they don't.

The law is mostly what stops that.

Monitor your child's social media presence. If you see them making out with a 45 year old investment banker in a public post, ground them.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Volcott posted:

Monitor your child's social media presence. If you see them making out with a 45 year old investment banker in a public post, ground them.

Fascist!!!

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

lol jesus loving christ, you guys are so woke

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Trying to control a 17 year old daughter is like the Empire blahblah grains of sand analogy.

Sure I can cancel her phone, but she can get her boyfriend's name tattooed on her neck. It's like M.A.D. So good luck thinking you can decide who she dates.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Volcott posted:

Yep that will stop them.

hawowanlawow posted:

lol jesus loving christ, you guys are so woke

I'm not even sure who this in reference too.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

You'd be surprised what not giving a child money or transportation or internet access can accomplish.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Exercising some level of parental authority to keep your daughter from getting hurt, with a respectful understanding between the two of you, all fine.

But there can be a certain creepiness when fathers get way into protecting their daughters' virginity. There's a line.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Purity balls are creepy. Groundings are a perfectly normal part of a parent's toolkit.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Grounding them because you don't like their boyfriend is in purity ball territory tho.

Though this had nothing to do with original point which was having a list of acceptable qualities for dating your daughter is weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Before my kids date I'm going to have them read 5000 pages of E/N