Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I've been watching the original jackass series in anticipation of the movie, and I'll just have to assume they painted themselves brown in the totem pole skit to look like wood. you know, because they're a totem pole and totem poles are made of wood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

In my memories, it was Michael McKean who starred in Mom and Dad Save the World and not Jeffrey Jones. I guess I’m glad to be corrected, as I no longer have an desire to watch it.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

duck trucker posted:

Mom and Dad Save the World had those little mushroom creatures the Dad met in a sewer that scared me as a child.

Thought they were goombas and it was gonna crossover with the Nintendo cinematic universe.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

If it makes it any better, his suicide wasn’t related to any issues he had going on at the time, it was because of a particularly gnarly form of dementia. His widow wrote a really interesting piece about it but hell if I can find it right now.

Thank you for this. It sounds weird, but Williams' suicide hit like a ton of bricks. Myself and a lot of my friends struggle with depression and other mental health issues, and Williams was always quite open about his own but also showed that it was something you can fight against and try to live with. When he died, you can imagine that it didn't go over well. If someone like that can't win in the end, then the chances can appear grim.

Since then, we learned more about suicidal tendencies and how they work - how they often come in waves and are less of a decision and more like an incoming truck that not everybody manages to dodge in time. The idea that suicide due to mental illness is a weakness of character rather than a disease claiming another victim is something that we really have to get rid of in our society.

Knowing that it was a literal brain disease like LBD gives a whole other context to the affair. I am reminded of other people I know, like those suffering from Parkinson or dementia, that are faced with the knowledge that their time is inevitably up. It's terrible in a whole other way, but it is a different story. Somewhere between suicide and euthanasia, maybe.

The brain is a strange beast, and often there simply is no right answer.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

EDIT: Obviously Jeffrey Jones being in a film and not behind bars is something that has aged poorly, which is a shame because I always thought he was great in most things I saw him in and it sucks he has to be a monster, but yeah. Mom and Dad Save the World is gloriously stupid and I love it.

"In 2006, Jones' record became the subject of community complaint during production of Who's Your Caddy?"

We live in such a gloriously stupid world in which sentences like this are possible.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I just found out the BBC had a minstrel show that aired until 1978
https://www.bbc.com/historyofthebbc/100-voices/people-nation-empire/make-yourself-at-home/the-black-and-white-minstrel-show

BBC History posted:

In the two decades of its existence, it’s hard to dispute the sheer popularity of The Black and White Minstrel Show – in numerical terms at least. In the 1960s, it was getting audiences of 16 million. Its stage-show spin-offs were breaking box-office records. At one point, it was even something of a critical success: in 1961, it won the prestigious Golden Rose of Montreux.
[...]
In May 1967, for instance, the Campaign Against Racial Discrimination submitted a petition calling for the show to be axed. The minutes of a BBC Board of Management meeting record the Corporation’s head of publicity turning to the letters page of the Daily Mail to gauge the public’s “general view”, and, having adopted this methodology, rather predictably coming to the conclusion that “the programme was not racially offensive”. Apparently satisfied with this, the Director-General, Hugh Greene, decided that “no further action was necessary”.

Link has archival footage and interviews (not sure if available outside the UK) including Lenny Henry who apparently appeared on the show as a teenager

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

bitterandtwisted posted:

https://www.bbc.com/historyofthebbc/100-voices/people-nation-empire/make-yourself-at-home/the-black-and-white-minstrel-show

Link has archival footage and interviews (not sure if available outside the UK) including Lenny Henry who apparently appeared on the show as a teenager

Lenny Henry has done whiteface and it was pretty drat spectacular make-up.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

bitterandtwisted posted:

Yeah, boomers would still make reference to it when I was growing up and my Mum seemed pretty offended that the show she grew up liking was "bad now", although she seemed to get it when asked to think critically.

The BBC posted:

In May 1967, for instance, the Campaign Against Racial Discrimination submitted a petition calling for the show to be axed. The minutes of a BBC Board of Management meeting record the Corporation’s head of publicity turning to the letters page of the Daily Mail to gauge the public’s “general view”, and, having adopted this methodology, rather predictably coming to the conclusion that “the programme was not racially offensive”. Apparently satisfied with this, the Director-General, Hugh Greene, decided that “no further action was necessary”.

:laffo:

Disco Pope has a new favorite as of 16:10 on Jul 26, 2021

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Jedit posted:

Lenny Henry has done whiteface and it was pretty drat spectacular make-up.

Whiteface is not even remotely the same as doing blackface.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Whiteface is not even remotely the same as doing blackface.

This is Henry is whiteface, you see why he said "pretty drat spectacular make-up".

He doesn't equate it to blackface.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

kupachek posted:

This is Henry is whiteface, you see why he said "pretty drat spectacular make-up".

It's OK, I understand what Megillah is getting at. Comedy needs to punch up, or at least sideways. If a white comedian went through the process in reverse to become a totally authentic looking black man instead of slapping on some boot polish and calling it good, it would still not be the same thing because of the privilege of position.

Also that isn't the character I was thinking of, it's from the movie True Identity rather than his TV show. I can't find images or video of the other, though.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Jedit posted:

It's OK, I understand what Megillah is getting at. Comedy needs to punch up, or at least sideways. If a white comedian went through the process in reverse to become a totally authentic looking black man instead of slapping on some boot polish and calling it good, it would still not be the same thing because of the privilege of position.

Also that isn't the character I was thinking of, it's from the movie True Identity rather than his TV show. I can't find images or video of the other, though.

I originally had a bit in my response about how Henry did more than one whiteface role, and then nuked it for brevity.
The one white actor doing blackface "realistically" (rather than just shoepolish-esque) that comes to mind would be Robt. Downey Jr in Tropic Thunder.

Regardless of appropriateness, both True Identity and Tropic Thunder were superb makeup jobs, especially compared to something like James Coburn's brownface as an Indian in one of the Flint films. (A disguise not played as a laugh, just as a disguise)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

kupachek posted:

You can't fool me that's Martin Short

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

Maxwell Lord posted:

You can't fool me that's Martin Short

It was worth a shot.

In hindsight, Ed Grimley was a premonition of things to come.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

kupachek posted:

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_LeJfn_qW0&hd=1

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Tropic Thunder still makes me confused because in the media he’s a clueless white actor in blackface and the white dude is the butt of the joke.

But it’s also blackface and ‘lol isn’t this funny but bad’ often leads to bad places. Eg, South Park.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Captain Monkey posted:

Tropic Thunder still makes me confused because in the media he’s a clueless white actor in blackface and the white dude is the butt of the joke.

But it’s also blackface and ‘lol isn’t this funny but bad’ often leads to bad places. Eg, South Park.

Tropic Thunder goes more in depth with it than just “this is bad, cringe laugh at it” which I feel is the major difference.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

Tropic Thunder goes more in depth with it than just “this is bad, cringe laugh at it” which I feel is the major difference.

The whole "What do you mean, "you people?" " exchange was a nice touch.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

also it was Robert Downey Jr

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Actually Tropic Thunder was just bad and people just gave it a pass because they felt really clever for being in on the zero-subtlety jokes that they spend the whole movie repeating over and over

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
I'm sorry Tropic Thunder starring Jack Black and Iron Man was less sophisticated than you were expecting

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Count Uvula posted:

I'm sorry Tropic Thunder starring Jack Black and Iron Man was less sophisticated than you were expecting
its entire popularity is based on people thinking that it is sophisticated, lmao

The defense of blackface on this very page is literally that it's sophisticated enough to justify it

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

Martman posted:

The defense of blackface on this very page is literally that it's sophisticated enough to justify it

Where is there defense of blackface on this very page?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Tropic Thunder has RDJ playing an Australian in blackface who then dresses up as an Asian farmer. It’s really clever.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Who said the movie Jack Black nakedly screams and farts his way through is clever?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

kupachek posted:

Where is there defense of blackface on this very page?

The tropic thunder discussion, it’s only like five posts it can’t be hard to follow

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

ngl I only remember the Tom Cruise part

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

The best part of Tropic Thunder was the fake trailers before the movie.

Tom Cruise was pretty good too.

Remember when they wanted to give his character his own spinoff? I"m glad that idea died quick.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

CharlestheHammer posted:

The tropic thunder discussion, it’s only like five posts it can’t be hard to follow

The fact that the film exists and was acknowledged as problematic is not a defense of blackface.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

kupachek posted:

The fact that the film exists and was acknowledged as problematic is not a defense of blackface.

???

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
You have no settings between filth and praise?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I think there's a difference between "somebody wearing blackface" and "an actor playing a character who wears blackface", just like the difference between somebody wearing a Nazi outfit versus an actor playing a character who wears a Nazi outfit.

Buuut I'm also not gonna die on that hill. Tropic Thunder's best left in the "i remember that being loving hilarious back then but i'm not rewatching it now" bucket, imo.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Vandar posted:

Remember when they wanted to give his character his own spinoff? I"m glad that idea died quick.

I remember being so pumped for that spinoff.

Then the Harvey Weinstein and Scott Rudin open secrets stopped being secrets.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Casnorf posted:

You have no settings between filth and praise?

I mean the same difference between defending a take and pretending it just didn’t exist despite anyone being able to read it.

Don’t expect to much from you tho

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Byzantine posted:

I think there's a difference between "somebody wearing blackface" and "an actor playing a character who wears blackface", just like the difference between somebody wearing a Nazi outfit versus an actor playing a character who wears a Nazi outfit.

Buuut I'm also not gonna die on that hill. Tropic Thunder's best left in the "i remember that being loving hilarious back then but i'm not rewatching it now" bucket, imo.

I saw it last month, it's still funny. But it's also Inception levels of cultural appropriation with an American playing an Australian whose playing an African-American. If anything, the part that's aged the worst is people losing their drat minds over a TiVo.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Isn't one of the big jokes and the motivation of the story in Tropic Thunder about how Ben Stiller made a movie about being mentally handicapped and it bombed because 'you never go full r-word.' The whole thing is some powerful 2008 edgy joke poo poo from what I can remember.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Shiroc posted:

Isn't one of the big jokes and the motivation of the story in Tropic Thunder about how Ben Stiller made a movie about being mentally handicapped and it bombed because 'you never go full r-word.' The whole thing is some powerful 2008 edgy joke poo poo from what I can remember.

The use of the word definitely aged poorly but miguided idiots thinking making something like Simple Jack is okay definitely did not, as the Sia autism movie proved.

In conclusion, Tropic Thunder is a land of contrast.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Shiroc posted:

Sort of. It was a critique of awards orgs because they have a tendency to reward actors for playing roles with a certain "feel good" amount of disability, but beyond a certain point, they ignore you. The examples from the scene are Rain Man and Forrest Gump vs. I am Sam. I think a Sling Blade parallel was also drawn. Meme culture distilled it down to the 1 line, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Byzantine posted:

Tropic Thunder's best left in the "i remember that being loving hilarious back then but i'm not rewatching it now" bucket, imo.

Dude, this thread is the "loving hilarious back then but I'm not rewatching it now" bucket.