Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Me. A is also a story of just Mr. A being an rear end in a top hat to everyone so that’s probably why Peter was a prick early on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Don Gato posted:

Also if you've never read them, his Mr. A stories are something else. A better intro to Objectivism and why Objectivism is batshit insane than slogging through any of Ayn Rand's works.

drat near anything is better than slogging through Ayn Rand. Having actually read the whole of Atlas Shrugged, I am qualified to say that.

(Did that at a young and impressionable age, and learned a valuable lesson: that starting a book does not obligate one to finish it. I did finish that one, but the lesson has saved me many hours over the years since then.)

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

yeah, this comic seemed to help hit the point home as well

hard counter posted:

while i completely understand the point that comic's making, what's going on beneath the surface is probably subtler than pure form because afaik modern scholars talk much more about exaggerated superhero physiques representing a kind of supernormal sexual stimuli than they do about superhero bodies, specifically male superheroes bodies, just being built for mere power fantasy or w/e - essentially, this means all these bodies are caricatures of what we find attractive with the catch that in some cases the caricature may become so extreme, so hyper masculine or so hyper feminine, they could become unappealing to some, but not all, people

batman, for e.g., consistently comes out as either the #1 or #2 superhero that women find attractive with his physique - along with his, i dunno, broodiness? - apparently being the chief selling points (spiderman's the other caped chad, valued for his humour and his sexy bod)

don't read this the wrong way, this doesn't mean there's any kind of equality in comics, or that this medium or similar mediums don't go on to sexualize women even more than the men in utterly distasteful ways by coupling their already exaggerated physiques with provocative poses, costumes or situations they would never put a male in - not to mention differences in the variety of body representation, less attractive male bodies on supporting characters are much more common than less attractive female bodies on supporting characters - all this just means we're looking at the underlying mechanics & psychology in more detail than previously

i guess this is also why i bought into the idea that women liked the hypermasculine look, since i as a straight male, liked the hyperfeminine look and so thought OBVIOUSLY it has to be the same with them! :hai:

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Groke posted:

drat near anything is better than slogging through Ayn Rand. Having actually read the whole of Atlas Shrugged, I am qualified to say that.

(Did that at a young and impressionable age, and learned a valuable lesson: that starting a book does not obligate one to finish it. I did finish that one, but the lesson has saved me many hours over the years since then.)

I got as far as the John Galt speech in Atlas shrugged, and after he had been talking for a page i kept skipping forward to see when the plot would start again and no, it just kept loving going. That's when I dropped that book and never bothered reading another Ayn Rand book.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

Don Gato posted:

I got as far as the John Galt speech in Atlas shrugged, and after he had been talking for a page i kept skipping forward to see when the plot would start again and no, it just kept loving going. That's when I dropped that book and never bothered reading another Ayn Rand book.

I picked Atlas Shrugged up in high school and got about a quarter in, thinking 'This isn't so bad, interesting alternate universe, sure.' Then I got a job and realized the whole thing is the product of someone who'd never worked an actual job in her life.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I couldn't even make it through the wiki page for AS

Y'all are stronger than I am.

I did once pull out https://www.galtse.cx in an rpg when my roll to put someone to sleep worked real well. "Len, tell me. How do you this tree full of birds asleep"

The dm had to compose himself because that wasn't what he was expecting

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
reminder that the Atlas Shrug movie had an iron tight contract that they needed to re create DA SPEECH.

also it needed to get Crowdfunding because part 1 bombed.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

atlas ... sharted

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
This was never good, but I'm listening to "372 pages we'll never get back" followup on Armada and they noted how, even if this is supposed to be a nerd fantasy, when the protagonist (that is already losing grades/life to successfully become the best world player for a video game that's super relevant in their society) tries to decide what to do with their life the option "make money playing that video game as a pro player/streamer" is never even mentioned even if the book is from 2015.

The 2015 Dota 2 International had a prize pool of $18.5mil and I'm pretty sure Dota 2 is not a secret program created to find the human race's ultimate defender.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Isn't that basically just Nightwing

And yeah, it's even a plot point in the comic itself that everyone in universe and out is horny for Batman.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
That comic is stupid because it's just describing Jojo, which is universally known to be cool and good. The girl character is an idiot.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Plethora posted:

That comic is stupid because it's just describing Jojo, which is universally known to be cool and good. The girl character is an idiot.

Isn't that comic basically just "Male characters can't be sex fantasies because I'm not attracted to this particular type, only female characters can ever be objectified by creepers" ?

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
My partner has been re-watching My Wife and Kids, and gently caress it's aged badly. There's an episode where Jay goes to her mothers and comes back having gained some weight.

The episode revolves around Michael no longer being attracted to Jay and unable to bring himself to sleep with her because he's so repulsed by her weight. At no point in the episode is Michael called out for being the problem and Jay is the antagonist who won't do anything about her weight.

It resolves with Michael manipulating Jay by telling her that as long as she's happy, they can just get fat together, leading to Jay having a nightmare that Michael and the kids get extremely overweight.

Even for a 00's sitcom it feels incredibly mean spirited. Not just making the fat person the butt of the joke, which was par for the course at the time but actively making them to be a problem and insinuating that a healthy mindset about your normal/slightly overweight build will inevitably lead to morbid obesity.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

PhazonLink posted:

reminder that the Atlas Shrug movie had an iron tight contract that they needed to re create DA SPEECH.

also it needed to get Crowdfunding because part 1 bombed.
in fairness, splitting it into three parts just to put the speech in part 3 was a loving genius move because it's what, two hours?

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

the_steve posted:

Isn't that comic basically just "Male characters can't be sex fantasies because I'm not attracted to this particular type, only female characters can ever be objectified by creepers" ?

No, it's saying that classic, mainstream superhero comics are dripping with "male gaze." They are made by men, for men. Female characters are big-titted sex fantasies with boob windows who constantly pose with their rear end in view, and male characters are just big and muscular. Both of these things are meant to appeal to heterosexual men - the male superheroes are who the men want to be, and the female superheroes are who they want to be with. The problem isn't that the bodies are unrealistic - since, after all, men and women are both portrayed unrealistically - the problem is that the bodies are unrealistic in different ways, both to serve heterosexual men. You never see male superheroes posed with their butts facing the camera, do you? Their big dicks are rarely visibly outlined by their superhero underwear. Because male superheroes are not sexualized to nearly the same degree as female superheroes.

The real solution to this problem is to include lots of different characters with a variety of appearances, rather than just two cookie cutters labeled "big strong man" and "sexy lady." But the comic is presenting a humorous "solution" where male superheroes are sexualized as much as the female ones are, to level the playing field. This is called a "joke" and it is meant to be humorous how the male character is made uncomfortable the same way women are made uncomfortable by normal comics. It is not meant to be a statement about what specific things heterosexual women in general find attractive.

So yeah, I'm sure there are a few heterosexual women out there who are attracted to a large muscular standoffish man with a strong commitment to family-friendly celibacy, punching bad guys, and disappearing into an alter-ego as soon as the action is over. I'm talking about overall trends, not talking about 100% of all comics and 100% of all comic book fans. And also, the problem isn't any one particular character - in the absence of the wider cultural context, there's nothing wrong with an individual female character who's sexy. But again, we're talking overall trends. You'd be an idiot to not realize that there's a large, systematic problem in the way women are depicted in comic books (and fantasy art in general). To put it another way, there's a reason you don't see nearly as many women as men hanging around comic book shops talking about Batman, and it's not 'cause women don't like fantasy stories or visual storytelling - it's because superhero comics constantly send out the message "this genre is for men," and women see that message and stay away.

It is worth saying that comics, and fantasy art in general, have gotten a lot better about this over the last couple decades, and the growing trend of big-budget Hollywood superhero movies (starring real humans with exceptional, but not fantastical, bodies) has helped some, too. But there's still a long way to go.

Plethora posted:

I am confused, you say that her idea of sexy male superheroes is like Jojo, and therefore cool and good. And then you call her an idiot? Surely it's the male character, who rejects the sexy male (Jojo-esque?) superhero, who is an idiot??? Or maybe I don't understand what Jojo is like (I only know it from memes) and you mean that mainstream superheroes are like jojo, and so her idea to change them is bad? Help me out here.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

in fairness, splitting it into three parts just to put the speech in part 3 was a loving genius move because it's what, two hours?

And the speech itself still had to be heavily shortened, IIRC because in the book itself it's described as taking thee hours but apparently it takes even longer for a normal person to read.

The audiobook version of AS on Audible is 62 hours long, FWIW.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Len posted:

I did once pull out https://www.galtse.cx in an rpg when my roll to put someone to sleep worked real well. "Len, tell me. How do you this tree full of birds asleep"

The dm had to compose himself because that wasn't what he was expecting

That's loving funny. If a player pulled that on me I'd have to give them some sort of bonus because that's the good poo poo I play to see

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

In addition to this good post I want to link to the Escher Girls blog, which repeatedly points out the issue of the male gaze specifically re: illustrated works. They started with comics but now they've extended the range to basically any commercial media not featuring real women. A screenshot from an article about the blog dated nearly a decade ago, for an example that maybe gets the point across a little more clearly than the shortpacked comic:

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Groke posted:

My brother sent me her book on how to write when i was young, I read about 50 pages and then told him, this writer is so full of themselves and I have found nothing useful from her telling me how to write.

Sounds like I did a good job avoiding reading anything she has written.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Mooseontheloose posted:

My brother sent me her book on how to write when i was young, I read about 50 pages and then told him, this writer is so full of themselves and I have found nothing useful from her telling me how to write.

Sounds like I did a good job avoiding reading anything she has written.

I've stopped reading many books in my time, but Atlas Shrugged is one of the few books I remember stopping reading in disgust.

The other being Naked Lunch.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!
The Fountainhead was the first book i read that i decided i didn't want to finish. Turned me off of Rand and Objectivism but it DID get me into architecture, so i count it as a win overall.

Eventually, i turned it into a book safe. Nothing of value was damaged.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

pseudosavior posted:

The Fountainhead was the first book i read that i decided i didn't want to finish. Turned me off of Rand and Objectivism but it DID get me into architecture, so i count it as a win overall.

Eventually, i turned it into a book safe. Nothing of value was damaged.

It's a better novel than Atlas Shrugged, in that it's not a straight up polemic.Which is a low bar.I also hate the tortured genius who society can't understand in regards to objectivism. Sorry the free market decided your buildings suck rear end in a top hat.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The Babylon 5 episode Confessions and Lamentations aged depressingly. In the episode one alien race suffer an outbreak of a deadly virus. The disease is politicized almost immediately and as a result the race dies out. Afterwards people starts to spread a conspiracy theory about how another alien race deliberately infected them.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Plethora posted:

Speaking of media that didn't age well, a film expecting us to feel sympathetic to a man who rapes and impregnates his own daughter as a subplot to teach the main character (who bangs his best friend's wife with no repercussions or judgement) a 'very important lesson' didn't age all that great.

Was that the plot? I remember orphans, Caine's princes of New England nightly affirmation, and then Caine ODing on the vapors. Literally nothing else.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Blood Nightmaster posted:

In addition to this good post I want to link to the Escher Girls blog, which repeatedly points out the issue of the male gaze specifically re: illustrated works.

Did someone say male gaze?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvH7rGg7UR4&t=39s

It's just loving embarrassing how blatant this poo poo is.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

yeah ultimately comic book poo poo and anime is still for and by manchildren. maybe as they become more and more mainstream (ugh), it'll become less obvious that a bunch of dirty neckbeards wank off to the stuff

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
yeah I don't know if it tracks that mainstream stuff won't have the same problem with objectification

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Comic book poo poo could not be more mainstream at this point.

It’s so mainstream now film hipsters hate it

CharlestheHammer has a new favorite as of 14:07 on Jul 31, 2021

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I was hating comic books way before spiderman came out, but yeah I guess it won't get any better as ultimately all dudes are gross dorky weebs at heart

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

Krispy Wafer posted:

Was that the plot? I remember orphans, Caine's princes of New England nightly affirmation, and then Caine ODing on the vapors. Literally nothing else.

That was the plot after they get to the orchard, yes.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Samovar posted:

I've stopped reading many books in my time, but Atlas Shrugged is one of the few books I remember stopping reading in disgust.

The other being Naked Lunch.

What was the issue with Naked Lunch?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Elissimpark posted:

There's two things wrong with the title.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Business Casual Breakfast

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Dicks Out Dinner

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

underdressed salad. whore d'oeuvres. soup for sluts

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's two things wrong with the title.

gently caress, just walked straight into that one.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Elissimpark posted:

The orgy with the person being hanged while a person was loving them on the gallows kind of left a bad taste in my mouth.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Samovar posted:

The orgy with the person being hanged while a person was loving them on the gallows kind of left a bad taste in my mouth.

.....holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
You need to remember that Burroughs was on tremendous amounts of heroin when he wrote it.

None of it was meant to be taken literally and can only truly be understood when you yourself have taken a tremendous amount of heroin.