Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah, I don't think the old format Rifftrax needed permissions. They were just an audio track you play along the movie. No different legally than a podcast talking about a movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I'm pretty sure they don't have to pay anything for audio only riffs, which is how they got started

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Kwyndig posted:

Either they didn't feel it was a good fit for riffing, or the owning company either said no or asked for more than they could afford, like when they tried to do Twilight but got shutdown.

They could have done a Just the Jokes version.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

PhazonLink posted:

Going by a radiolab(??) episode I heard about him, yeah he's okay with his early 00s viral fad status.

well except that one time where he was trying to be a teacher and couldnt get control of the class and the senior teacher flatout told him either get them under control or youre never going to be a teacher. children(teens/HSers?) / students are pychos. :smith:

Also here's his cover of We Are The Champions thats the outro of the npr episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pt2P4F4Xi2g

That's on his first album Inspiration which came with a bonus Day in the Life DVD

He got so excited about double energy pokemon cards on that

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Mister Kingdom posted:

You'd think that but apparently the Just the Jokes versions sell poorly and are frequently pirated to the point they barely break even on those if they're lucky.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Kingdom posted:

that's what this link is, a "just the jokes" release. this is what rifftrax releases when they can't get rights to bundle the movie as well, it is a freelance audio commentary because those are extremely legal but don't sell well because they're a pain in the rear end to sync

rifftrax started out as just releasing audio commentaries but they weren't very popular. this is why rifftrax shifted back to the model of the other MST3K-likes of making fun of bad movies which are cheap to license. people really prefer to have the entire movie bundled with the commentary

e: in case anyone didn't know about it the new MST3K website is up now https://www.gizmoplex.com/

Mr. Fall Down Terror has a new favorite as of 16:35 on Mar 9, 2022

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

that's what this link is, a "just the jokes" release. this is what rifftrax releases when they can't get rights to bundle the movie as well, it is a freelance audio commentary because those are extremely legal but don't sell well because they're a pain in the rear end to sync

rifftrax started out as just releasing audio commentaries but they weren't very popular. this is why rifftrax shifted back to the model of the other MST3K-likes of making fun of bad movies which are cheap to license. people really prefer to have the entire movie bundled with the commentary

e: in case anyone didn't know about it the new MST3K website is up now https://www.gizmoplex.com/

I have every Just the Jokes episode they've released. I actually enjoy syncing them up and making my own copies.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
You also can't make a rifftrax for Twilight that's better than the actual commentary of Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson dunking on it the entire time.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Maybe Michael Jackson is cheating but the plot of the musical short Ghosts is that his character moved into a spooky house on the edge of town and he's been entertaining local children who come to see him perform. A group of concerned parents show up saying things like "you're a freak! Get out of here! We don't like our kids hanging around you!" and he wins them over with the power of dance.

Apparently when he starred on the famous Simpsons episode he specifically requested the script include him safely being able to sleep in Bart's room.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Was the request granted?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Mescal posted:

Was the request granted?

I haven't watched the episode in a long time, but some googling makes it sound like it.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Hoo-boy, caught a real doozy this week. Youtube has the original 1943 Batman. In the first few minutes the camera pans across empty stores with Japanese writing, and the narrator talks about "our wise government who rounded up these people and moved them away from the coast".

Yikes. I hadn't known how widespread the knowledge of that was.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

MrUnderbridge posted:

Hoo-boy, caught a real doozy this week. Youtube has the original 1943 Batman. In the first few minutes the camera pans across empty stores with Japanese writing, and the narrator talks about "our wise government who rounded up these people and moved them away from the coast".

It was all over the news back then. They weren't ashamed of it. Reading the editorials is quite sobering.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

MrUnderbridge posted:

It's also the first ever Batman adaptation and invented the batcave. I saw it air on Turner classic movies with a big warning up front about it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

What was invented in what was kind of fuzzy back then. Like a lot of popular Superman concepts came from the radio show.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

MrUnderbridge posted:

Support among Americans for concentration camps and ethnic cleansing is unfortunately pretty evergreen. There’s a sizable minority who will support a lot of bad things if they have the sense that such ideas are popular or that they’re protected from the consequences of voicing their beliefs.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Please refer to them as Batcamps

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I AM GRANDO posted:

Support among Americans for concentration camps and ethnic cleansing is unfortunately pretty evergreen. There’s a sizable minority who will support a lot of bad things if they have the sense that such ideas are popular or that they’re protected from the consequences of voicing their beliefs.

Yeah it's not just Americans, pretty much any large group of people will do this.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

A cracked.com article about how the Mummy aged horribly:
https://www.cracked.com/article_33077_the-mummy-is-not-a-perfect-film-its-racist-garbage.html

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

This article has aged worse in its <1 day of existence than The Mummy for how horribly the article is written (and how bad of examples the author gives). The writer should probably find a new job.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I mean, it's a Mummy movie

They're literally built on British Colonialism (and Dracula)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

that person also thinks the new Batman movie, in which The Riddler is a more conspiracy theorist sort of 'crazy riddle guy' , is praising conspiracy theorists so I think they may be too stupid to handle movies and need to be only allowed to watch 5 minute flash animations on newgrounds.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
This is still on topic because it's claiming Batman already has poorly aged and all. I really can't stop reading this line.

quote:

But the problem is that the character of The Riddler is ultimately right. He does help to expose a complex web of corruption spun by Gotham’s shadowy elites. So The Batman is commenting on the dangers of these fringe internet communities while also validating their wild theories? That seems … pretty messed up.

"Woah this Batman movie showed Gotham as corrupt and created a tragic villain who was pushed to madness and terrorism by the corrupt system? That's pretty messed up, it's like they love Q and Trump or something, smh"

Imagine being too dumb to understand Batman, a movie where a man dresses as a bat and punches the mentally ill, or The Mummy, a movie where a himbo and his friends have a bad vacation.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nottherealaborn posted:

This article has aged worse in its <1 day of existence than The Mummy for how horribly the article is written (and how bad of examples the author gives). The writer should probably find a new job.

I tried some googling and didn’t turn up anything but I vaguely remember both Oded Fehr and Omar Djalili saying it was a pleasure and it was very good to get to portray thoroughly middle-eastern characters who weren’t villains in the movie. I’d be hard pressed to call Fehr’s role in particular any less of a supporting character than anyone else.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

sexpig by night posted:

that person also thinks the new Batman movie, in which The Riddler is a more conspiracy theorist sort of 'crazy riddle guy' , is praising conspiracy theorists so I think they may be too stupid to handle movies and need to be only allowed to watch 5 minute flash animations on newgrounds.

I wonder if they also wrote that Cracked piece about how Hollywood writers are wimps that don't understand how sports work and used the Community paintball episodes as examples.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

There are legitimate criticisms to be made against The Mummy. They did not do that.

sexpig by night posted:

yea I remember back a bit ago there was also a kinda 'backlash' against The Mummy (making this sound far too dramatic of course) on the same 'oh it's a meme movie now? Well here's why it's actually morally bad to like the movie' and people pulled out multiple interviews with actual middle eastern actors and all from it going 'we had a great time, loved the project, I had fun with my role and think we did some good while making a fun movie' and it quickly died down to just generic 'well, it's not as good as you're saying it is' taste issues.

Nice to see Cracked remains literal years behind the curve on pop culture and discourse.

Edit, maybe not? I dunno, I never got into The Mummy discourse too much.

Fashionable Jorts has a new favorite as of 19:58 on Mar 21, 2022

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Arivia posted:

I tried some googling and didn’t turn up anything but I vaguely remember both Oded Fehr and Omar Djalili saying it was a pleasure and it was very good to get to portray thoroughly middle-eastern characters who weren’t villains in the movie. I’d be hard pressed to call Fehr’s role in particular any less of a supporting character than anyone else.

yea I remember back a bit ago there was also a kinda 'backlash' against The Mummy (making this sound far too dramatic of course) on the same 'oh it's a meme movie now? Well here's why it's actually morally bad to like the movie' and people pulled out multiple interviews with actual middle eastern actors and all from it going 'we had a great time, loved the project, I had fun with my role and think we did some good while making a fun movie' and it quickly died down to just generic 'well, it's not as good as you're saying it is' taste issues.

Nice to see Cracked remains literal years behind the curve on pop culture and discourse.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I assume the editor of Cracked just hands out assignments based on the righthand panel of their Twitter feed. The actual content of the Mummy article probably doesn't matter and isn't itself intended to age well.

Had the Boris Karloff Mummy aged well? Imo yes it's great.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Genuinely stunned to click that link and realize that Cracked is still in active operation.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Crowetron posted:

Genuinely stunned to click that link and realize that Cracked is still in active operation.

Everything Cracked ever did qualifies for this thread.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

sexpig by night posted:

This is still on topic because it's claiming Batman already has poorly aged and all. I really can't stop reading this line.

"Woah this Batman movie showed Gotham as corrupt and created a tragic villain who was pushed to madness and terrorism by the corrupt system? That's pretty messed up, it's like they love Q and Trump or something, smh"

Imagine being too dumb to understand Batman, a movie where a man dresses as a bat and punches the mentally ill, or The Mummy, a movie where a himbo and his friends have a bad vacation.

How can anyone know this little about Batman

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

doctorfrog posted:

I assume the editor of Cracked just hands out assignments based on the righthand panel of their Twitter feed. The actual content of the Mummy article probably doesn't matter and isn't itself intended to age well.

I don't think there's an editor there anymore cus the old guy hosed off to go help Brian Brushwood's Magic and loving Around community so I assume it's just a giant TRON MCP head that demands more clicks, or that creepy face from Time Bandits that just screams "Give me more clicks".

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

doctorfrog posted:

I don't know if it counts as aging well or just being so long since it was made that it just comes off as hilarious when the one archeologist is outraged that one of the requirements for their digs were that the Egyptian government wanted the Egyptian artifacts to stay in Egypt. Also, a better film overall than Dracula (fight me).

goldenninjawarrior
Jul 21, 2017

Ninja is supreme and you have double-crossed it!
Why did you do that?
Grimey Drawer
The second to last thing I saw from Cracked was a video of "What if NFT ads were honest" and then the last thing I saw when I went to see what Cracked was up to these days is that they're selling a $30 course (actually worth hundreds of dollars per class etc.) on how crypto and NFTs work and how to invest in them.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Woolie Wool posted:

Everything Cracked ever did qualifies for this thread.

Though I guess he got outta there before it started aging.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I did discover probably the *worst* aged episode of the Simpsons ever

Thirty Minutes over Tokyo

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Push El Burrito posted:

Every video this guy puts out his eyes big out and it feels like he’s making demands for if the government wants him to release his hostages

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Push El Burrito posted:

PEPE SILVIA PEPE SILVIA

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Cody is great, and that's just a character.

But yeah it's basically smart Charlie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Burkion posted:

I did discover probably the *worst* aged episode of the Simpsons ever

Thirty Minutes over Tokyo

There's a lot of bad episodes of the Simpsons (I don't wanna get into a new vs. old Simpsons argument, but let's agree that there are some stinkers in the bunch), but TMOT has some like... I dunno how to describe it other than "Old Sci-fi fan mad at anime" energy to it.

It's definitely one of those episodes where like... I feel like you can use it as an example of how The Simpsons and Family Guy are different; it's almost too mean to be a Simpsons episode.