Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I was listening to a recent episode of Cum Town and they were talking about how "he/she" and "tranny" and the like was viewed as completely fine by TV shows as recently a couple of years ago. Funny how things progress quickly.

In terms of episode concepts that haven't aged well, the episode of Rocko's Modern Life where Rocko tries to date women to get over his neighbor Melba having a boyfriend has a lot of stuff that people don't do anymore. The closest thing we have to dating shows is The Bachelor(ette).

I can't think of anything specific, but many South Park episodes that focused on what was the news event or celebrity of the moment have probably aged badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Calaveron posted:

It's why I'm super excited for the reboot because all the jokes in it were pitch perfect Rocko but with current stuff
I'd say Hey Arnold and Rocko were the best Nicktoons, but they had completely different tones. Hey Arnold's sincere, non-judgmental vibe is very commonplace on shows today but was a breath of fresh air in the cynical '90s. On the other hand, Rocko's deep cynicism about society will feel like something we didn't think we needed once the movie comes out.

Doug was decent. There were no Rocko or Hey Arnold-like highs, nor were there Rugrats or Spongebob-like lows. I think that Rugrats is better than people give it credit for, but that's usually when we hear from the adults. There are some good references- the "Lipschitz" guy they talk about is just a stand-in for Benjamin Spock, a well-known child raising expert back in the '50s. Also there was that one episode that was a take on Cool Hand Luke. It was a nice change of pace from the dime-a-dozen Citizen Kane parodies in that era (The Simpsons, Tiny Toon Adventures, The Critic... I'm sure there were more).

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Slowpoke Rodriguez posted:

I liked Doug for the music, and because it rarely felt mean spirited.
Mean-spirited stuff can still be funny, it just has to work harder to be funny.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

She still had to fight tooth and nail to get him on the show. So much so that that's why they started their own studio, if I'm remembering right.
I recently learned that Star Trek probably wouldn't have even aired if it weren't for Lucille Ball going to bat for it. Not related to the subject at hand, but it's an interesting fact nonetheless.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

That's the perfect word for it. That show really hasn't aged well, it felt like every season everything about it just got more and more unpleasant, although it's been years since I've watched it so maybe they started going in the other direction. I doubt it though.
Family Guy was decent in its pre-cancellation seasons and its first post-cancellation one when Fox had Seth MacFarlene on a very short leash. When they took him off that, it got really bad. It turned from a show about scattershot pop culture references to a show that's incredibly self-referential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Asinine Tails posted:

Both.

They said:
"2 reasons :
a) We are not Muslims, and as such, it is disrespectful and irresponsible for us to use the word jihad in our band's name.
B) Interesting historical figure as he was, Andrew Jackson was an odious person and our fascination with him has grown stale."
Do they consider themselves punk rock in any way? Because they're a bunch of wimps if they do. One of the main points about punk was to shock and provoke. Band names like Dead Kennedys, Sex Pistols, and Bad Religion did that. Song names like "Blitzkrieg Bop" and (insert any song title by Dead Kennedys here) did that. But they did this and Vietcong changed their name due to outrage. And honestly, "Robert McNamara" would be a more provocative name than Vietcong. I'd say that old spirit is dead, but at least there's a band out there called Perfect Pussy.

Also, they could have renamed themselves to anything, so why did they go the route of ESPN, KFC, and the SAT?