Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Coucho Marx posted:

There's actually one episode ('Home') that talks about this in a meta sort of way - characters in the story talk about how their once quiet home is changing, growing closer to the cities, if not physically then at least culturally. It's hard for what's going on in the story to happen again, as time and technology advances and everything becomes so much more interconnected than before.

It's also a loving great episode, super creepy. Beautifully shot, too.

If that's the one I think it is, it's one of the few that has no supernatural or sci-fi elements, and could feasibly happen in the "Real World."

And yes, super creepy, all the more so BECAUSE it could actually happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

BrainDance posted:

It was called "Space Cases" and it ruled so much. I went back and watched it a few weeks ago, I still like watching it because of nostalgia and an appreciation for campy things. But damnnnn, the things you didn't notice as a kid. It's like they made a "futuristic spaceship" with crap they dug out of the kitchen/junkyard/the sets of other 90s Nickelodeon shows.

It only lasted two seasons so they never resolved the main plot. Do the kids ever make it home!? :(

The first season even had Jewel Staite, cementing her as the "quirky space girl" for decades.

And I don't think they did?

I don't remember much about it, other than in the second season they ditched Jewel Staite's character and replaced her with Susie, who was Jewel's imaginary friend everyone assumed wasn't real but WAS, she was just from another dimension and they shared a brain wave, or something, so they could communicate.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

Also drug dealers.

I thought Drug Dealers just used those apps that give you a new phone number? poo poo like this:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.adhoclabs.burner

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Lord Hydronium posted:

Fringe was about two fake New Yorks.

I thought it was fake Bostons?

Fake edit: I mean, obviously they're entire fake worlds, so fake New Yorks exist, too, but I think ti was set in and around Boston.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Tiggum posted:

What about it?

It's a silly thing to call it.

It's drunk driving. You're driving while drunk.

You're not driving while drink, that doesn't make any sense.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

SpacePig posted:

George Harrison appeared as himself in Homer's Barbershop Quartet, and there was an episode where an entire team's worth of baseball players appeared as themselves as well in Homer at the Bat. It wasn't anything new by the time Lisa the Vegetarian was around, but that's when the focus shifted for sure.

But there's technically plausible reasons for those.

George Harrison is at an after-party for the Grammy's*, and Mr.Burns specifically recruited pro ball players to win a softball game. Other seasons have similar reasons for guest stars playing themselves. Leonard Nimoy is a "celebrity" guest on the monorail's first voyage, Barry White is the celebrity Grand Marshal for Whacking Day, Sting takes part in a fund-rasing song for Timmy/Bart stuck in the well, etc...

Lisa the Vegetarian is the first time it really stood out (to me, at least) that a celebrity is in Springfield for no legit "plot" reason, just so whatever member of the Simpsons family can go:
Simpson: Wow, it's [Celebrity]! What are YOU doing in Springfield?"
Celebrity: [Insert flimsy excuse here]

*Yes, he then randomly shows up in a car outside Moe's when they're on the roof, but I think it's allowed after the plausible reason if it's a quick joke.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Choco1980 posted:

Probably the reason Norm MacDonald's weekend update worked so much better is precisely because of how often his jokes were nonsequitors, avoiding topical humor. My brother and I still will rarely surprise each other with "You guessed it: Frank Stallone" for example.

Well, that just goes to prove his theory:

Germans LOVE David Hasselhoff.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Accordion Man posted:

Vote for Duke!

The Critic predicting what Trumps' speeches would be like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rshem5ejOh8

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Volcott posted:

Do they still make cars in that gold-ish color? I don't think I've seen one since my dad bought a golf at some point in the 90s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXN1eBiFYyA

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Precambrian posted:

That, and the scene where everyone's doing the usual hokey wise cracks during a meeting and Col. Potter just blows up on everyone because the meeting's about how they should start expecting white phosphorous burns and how to treat it. Harry Morgan's delivery on "If they can keep inventing better ways to kill people, why can't they invent a way to end this STUPID WAR" just really just sticks with me. It's great self-critique.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Unfortunately it seems it was more of a "Hollywood in general" type of situation. Ace Ventura comes to mind. Or any other movie where inclusiveness translated to "hey, what if the killer was a trans person?!".

I've seen Ace Ventura mentioned a few times when it comes to bad representations of trans people, and correct me if I'm wrong, but technically Sean Young's character wasn't actually trans, was she/he?

Wasn't it just Finkle pretending to be Einhorn as part of a needlessly complex plot to kill Dan Marino?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

There's one amusing bit in an episode of Law & Order (possibly in SVU) where the detectives complain about CSIs thinking they're cops.

Speaking of SVU and CSI techs, a few years ago*, there was the hilariously awful/over-the-top story line with a new tech they introduced that season; Stucky. He was only in 3 or 4 episodes, but they painted him as hilariously inept, always jumping to conclusions and getting basic facts wrong.

Then they jumped the shark with him BIG TIME and he becomes a serial killer in the span of a single episode because he makes some mistake and Stabler gets made at him for it. So he kills 1 or 2 people in an attempt to pin it on another killer for more evidence, gets caught by another CSI technician, kills him and almost kills Stabler.

http://lawandorder.wikia.com/wiki/Dale_Stuckey

*Probably like ten years ago at this point.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I am deeply saddened that we were denied Jheri Curl Geordi.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

Peach's game was Mario 2 where she was the objectively best character.

I guess if you like picking up items so slowly that you have barely enough time to get, like, two coins when you enter a warp world, sure.

Toad is #1, all others are #2 or lower.

Picks things up the fastest, runs the fastest,and his run/jump speed isn't affected by carrying something.

The only exception is that one level that's full of falling logs, then use Peach or Luigi.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Say what now?

In an episode in one of the teen seasons, I think, Homer fights with Marge and moves out of the house and is roommates with a couple of gay men. One of them kisses him, and his internal monologue hints that he enjoyed it.

As for Grandpa, there's a lot more evidence that he's...well...something other than 100% cis and straight.

He had a dream where he was the Queen of the Old West, and agreed that BOTH cowboys could marry him.

He also admitted to wearing a dress for a period in the 40's (and maybe worked in a German Cabaret and seduced Hitler?) and sort of became a woman (?) when he forgot to take his medicine and agreed to go on a date with Jasper.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Sunswipe posted:

Actually, it was the final episode of season 3. And it was AWESOME. The Touch played and everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYAAbbuEpnw&t=15s

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

That 10 year period from 2000 to 2010 was bananas for reality shows.

I'm just said we'll never get another "reality" show as perfect as Joe Schmo:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Joe_Schmo_Show

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The new Flinstones comics which are way better than they have any right to be actually reimagine him in an interesting and fitting way. (basically totally different)

http://www.dorkly.com/post/82072/wiiiiiillllmaaaaaa

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

The Bloop posted:

________________/

Speaking of, didn't Trump say (back in the 90's or whenver) that he'd totally bone Princess Di (and/or that she totally wanted to bone him?) but he'd make her get an AIDS test first, presumably because of the times she shook hands/hugged people w/ HIV and Trump is an idiot?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

NorgLyle posted:

I want to emptyquote this because I am incredibly Space Racist against Bajorans. Every single Bajoran that ever appeared on Star Trek was the worst part of whatever episode they were in (and that's quite an accomplishment considering Ensign Ro is in the episode where people de-age into child actors).

The only good Bajoran was Seska and SURPRISE, it's because she was a Cardassian all-along.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

Though as a counterpoint, there are definitely some clunker episodes in the bunch.

Like the one where Batman has to contend with a giant chicken.

?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

skooma512 posted:

Speaking of Criminal Minds, it's my GF's favorite, so I inevitably end up watching it a lot.

Same. Been through it at least twice completely on Netflix, plus watching extra "one-offs" of the episodes she really likes, catching re-runs on live TV, etc...

I also try to make a game of it by trying to guess at the start of the episode who is just a figment of the killer's imagination/was already dead the whole time. Then at the end they do the BIG REVEAL that "holy poo poo, the little person helping him turn people into marionettes was just, himself, a little marionette and wasn't really there! Wow, so clever!"

Off the top of my head, there's:
The combination Psycho/Sunset Boulevard rip-off where a guy's mom was in a Golden Era Movie once, so he kills women for her but she's a skelington.
The aforementioned one where a killer turns people into living marionette dolls and there's a dwarf who we see helping him who's just a puppet.
The X-Files dude (Baldy, not Spooky Fox or Redhead) kills people in their cars and is also fighting with his family, but turns out he actually killed them before the episode starts and was hallucinating.
A guy who hallucinated 3 or 4 "friends" from his schizophrenia and wanted an exorcism.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Pick posted:

Additional fun fact, he wrote a fake script where Londo and G'kar made out just to be a troll

Am I crazy, or did it include a line from G'Kar where he complained Londo used too many of his tentacles?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

JediTalentAgent posted:

Prior to that I think the closest a TV 'people with superpowers'-show got to being taken seriously was, what, USA's The Dead Zone and 4400?

Smallville wasn't entirely terrible in the first few seasons, right?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Samuringa posted:

and that one with the family that gets superpowers together

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x20poue

?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It wasn't long after that that the bug things from fluid space that the Borg couldn't assimilate showed up.

That was also the time I quit watching Voyager. Holy crap did that show go off the rails.

Well, it was like 1/1.5 seasons, I think. Threshold was mid season 2 and Species 8472 was the season 3 finale/season 4 premiere.

It's interesting that Janeway gives the Borg a freakin' biological weapon (good to know that weapons we consider too heinous to use now are a-ok in The Federation,) and allows them to continue to wreak terror in the Delta Quadrant (and beyond) and she only gets called out for it once by Ray Wise.

Not to mention Future Janeway allows The Borg to assimilate and adapt to weapons, shields, and armor from 30 years in the future... Yeah, her little assimilation virus took down a lot of them, but not all, so... Yeah, maybe that's the reason there's been no official canon post-Nemesis...the Super Borg came back to Earth and wrecked everyone's poo poo.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

CommonShore posted:

Holy poo poo THAT's where the bear came from.

NOW I HAVE MORE QUESTIONS

I hope they never explain Knife Bear (the wiki says his official name is Scare Bear?)

What more do you need to know? He's a guy in a bear costume with a knife... superpower.

And he occasionally saves people from dying of a massive concussion in the snow.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

Kinda. Michael is a huge loving dick for doing that to those kids, but some random guy coming into the classroom and saying he'll pay for your kid's college should set off a bunch of "bullshit" alarms. Don't count on some random stranger, even if they are rich, to pay for your kid's college.

I haven't seen that episode, but I can easy rationalize that the parents assumed that Dunder-Mifflin would be paying for it, not Michael personally, probably through some official charity that, you know, fund raises and invests.

But yeah, I'd like to think they'd, you know, check on on the status of that sometime before the kids' graduation.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Sir Lemming posted:

I doubt it -- the warm, analog format in this analogy would be film, and that's already a thing. Sort of. Laserdiscs do have a certain antique/nostalgia value, but that's all they'll ever be. They're not vinyl, they're cassette tape.

There's also CED:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitance_Electronic_Disc

quote:

The Capacitance Electronic Disc (CED) is an analog video disc playback system developed by RCA, in which video and audio could be played back on a TV set using a special needle and high-density groove system similar to phonograph records.

Though I don't think anyone who collects CEDs does so because they think they're "warmer" or more natural than DVD or whatnot, like with audiophiles and vinyl, they just collect them because they like collecting old electronics.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Yeah, with Judas Bullets that are made from alien metal found in the wreckage after The Incident (which is what the Battle of New York from Avengers 1 is referred to in all of the Marvel Netflix shows, maybe even the non-Netflix ones? Haven't watched Agents of SHIELD, Runaways, or Cloak and Dagger.)

Though I guess there's two kinds of Judas Bullets, IIRC? The 'better' ones are 100% alien metal, and that's the first one Like is shot with from Diamondback that nearly kills him, and then eventually the police get, like...half-Judas Bullets that are an ally of regular lead and alien metal?

I don't think we ever see Luke get shot with one, but I think the implication is that one probably won't kill him, but might hurt him, and if all the police have them and are shooting, that could be enough to bring him down?

Did Hammer-Tech also make Diamondback's super suit? Can't recall, though I still don't know why Luke couldn't have just punched him in his unprotected jaw, could have ended the fight in like 10 seconds.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

bobjr posted:

Should have had it be one of the even more tertiary characters like Colonel Doctor or Snoop Dog Resident

Snoop Dog Attending.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Don Gato posted:

Also some of the voice cast is super weird, like villains were voiced by Ed Asner, Jeff Goldblum, Malcom McDowell, Sting, and Martin Sheen and I need to know how much Ted Turner bribed them to appear.

Wasn't Dr.Blight voiced my Sharron Stone?

Fake edit: Meg Ryan...I knew it was some sort of blonde, 90's actress.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Oh, I’ll take David Warner over Malcolm McDowell any day. Every day. All day.

Although now I'm imagining what Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze would have been like with Malcolm McDowell as the scientist...

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

I loved Parks and Rec, but watching after season 3 is nearly impossible. The stupid cameos, the "on location" episodes, the way they went from just ignoring/dismissing Jerry to flat out torturing the man. There were still good moments, but they were few and far between.

Yeah but Jerry/Gary/Larry has a gorgeous wife who loves him, three beautiful daughters who idolize him, was mayor of Pawnee for decades, and eventually lived to the ripe old age of 100.

He knew he was the department whipping boy, and didn't care because his home life was amazing and he just wanted to put in his 40 years and retire with his pension.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

What did Toby do that was so terrible? Creed was terrible, but in an entertaining way.

Well, he did strangle all those people.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

MrUnderbridge posted:

There will likely always be a few after the boom, and a "gritty reboot" or two.

Batman has already had 3 gritty reboots.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I remember when O was a kid there was a movie called The Cowboy Way which was literally about some cowboys riding their horses around NYC...it looked fun to 11 year old me... Guess what movie I accidentally rented from the video store?

Hint: It was Midnight Cowboy.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Don Gato posted:

Flame doesn't even rhyme with Notre Dame.

In America it does. Most Americans say:
'Note-er Dame,'
with Dame being pronounced exactly like a lady Knight, like Dame Judi Dench.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

ulex minor posted:

why didn't the jewish wizards stop the nazis? or at least teleport everyone out of the concentration camps. i guess wizards are just generally assholes though so it makes sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It got mentioned once or twice later on and then just ignored solved offscreen without saying anything.

Apparently, the folding nacelles on Voyager solved this...somehow.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Variable_geometry_pylon

quote:

According to the unpublished VOY Season 1 edition of the Star Trek: Voyager Technical Manual by Rick Sternbach and Michael Okuda, (p. 12) it was suggested that because of this new folding wing-and-nacelle configuration, warp fields might no longer have a negative impact on habitable worlds as established in TNG: "Force of Nature". According to Star Trek Encyclopedia (3rd ed., p. 555) these nacelles did in fact prevent damage to subspace.

Now, as for every other ship in the Federation we see after that episode go faster than warp 5? Never mind all that.