Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Reality Bites is probably the worst offender from this era in terms of showcasing utterly dislikeable young leads we're meant to identify with because they're not gonna sell out, mannnnn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Criminal Intent ran into the problem of D'Onofrio's character being such an effortless deductive genius that they had to make the crimes increasingly convoluted and bizarre to punch up the ca-razy twists.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

New Jersey is the armpit of New York. Troy, like all places north of Westchester County, is just Southern Canada.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

That’s true for most of the WHAS cast really.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Star Trek TOS was pretty much the origin of modern slash fanfic, and the earliest writers and fan club organizers were predominantly women. Kirk/Spock was A Gay Thing longer than most of us have been alive.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

My point was that the notion of Kirk and Spock being gay was around way before the internet, way before any form of digital media even, and predominantly written for the pleasure of women. Never ascribe societal pressures to what can more easily be explained by smut.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I always enjoy the casual way dock workers or whoever the detectives are talking to will just go about their daily routine like it's no big deal that someone was brutally murdered there just yesterday. New York was truly a different place in the late 80s.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

DontMockMySmock posted:

I've never watched Friends; what's wrong with it?

It's not funny.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Bogus Adventure posted:

Articles about restaurateurs like that are why Bar Rescue is so entertaining. You will find some people who are good souls but lovely at business. However, the best episodes involve shitheads who also happen to be lovely at business.

The way the meat on those nachos just erupts like a geyser is hypnotic.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Please give episode examples from Bar Rescue/Restaurant Rescue/ the Profit/ any similar show of terrible people with terrible personailties goong bankrupt. In the current political climate I desperatley need to watch some awful people getting whats coming into them.

There's the legendary Amy's Baking Company episode of Kitchen Nightmares, which I think is still the only restaurant Gordon Ramsay walked out on. It closed down in 2015.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5O7TRTpesM

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

This is all very true, but I'm in it to watch Gordon Ramsay scream at idiots.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Len posted:

The UK version always seemed better on the yelling side of things. It felt like they really turned up the drama and yelling for the US episodes

The UK version is a lot slower and more cerebral. You really get to empathize with the owners and see how just a few systematic errors in judgment has caused their business to collapse over time. In the American version it's Angry Gordon yelling at slackjawed morons who can't make a baked potato while that creaky door sound effect plays over and over. Both have their merits.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Lindsay Ellis has a good youtube series on the entire mess that was the production of The Hobbit, right down to how it permanently damaged the economy of New Zealand and its relationship with Hollywood.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Julie Taymor's Titus is a masterpiece and still probably my favorite film adaptation of a Shakespeare play. Beautiful visuals, incredible cast, supremely violent and darkly funny all at the same time. The way any good Shakespeare tragedy should be.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

All you need to know about The Fifth Element is that Luc Besson wrote the story when he was 16 years old, which more or less explains every choice made in that film.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

English being a largely analytical language with a singular "they" and non-gendered objects going back centuries actually makes it pretty good for representation in our increasingly non-binary world. Or so I've been told that other languages have a harder time making pronouns agree.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

As I understand it, English largely lost its gendered nouns after the Norman invasion. French became the preferred language of the aristocracy and educated for 2-300 years with English being kept alive among the peasentry. By the time English was reasserted as the dominant language it had evolved from its vulgar origin to be more utilitarian by dropping some of the more extraneous parts such as gendered objects.

French also has masculine, feminine, and gender neutral terms being derived from Latin. English losing its gender was largely a process of Anglification in word stress -- the first syllable of words tending to be emphasized rather than the second as it was with many other continental European languages -- and all suffixes denoting case, gender, number, etc. gradually becoming clipped or phased out entirely.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Just ONE reality show contestant ends up being a serial killer and it spoils the entire glorious VH1 Celebreality era, I'm still mad about it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Tell you what media has aged well though... everything said by Tiffany "New York" Pollard. Absolute legend.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Numetal definitely needs a second look, I mean you can't say it was all unsophisticated angsty buttrock for idiots. Why take Aaron Lewis, the former frontman of Staind for instance.

quote:

Lewis doesn’t specifically address who he feels is “brainwashing” the United States in his new song. However, in an interview with Blabbermouth, he said President Obama should have been impeached “a long f–king time ago.” He’s also a staunch supporter of former President Donald Trump.

“We are listening to and allowing the dumbest f–king people in this country to dictate what our lives are and aren’t,” he said. “We’ve allowed a federal government that has the given authority to do eighteen things efficiently and properly, and look where we are.”

Then, he took aim at President Joe Biden, and claimed that everything that was “wrong with America” was “the fault of the Democrats.“

Oh... oh.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Spider-Man 3 wasn't good but the things people most commonly hate about it aren't even the worst parts. Peter Parker doing Saturday Night Fever was great you philistines!!!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Sam Raimi's Spider-Man wasn't perfect but I feel like he was the only director of superhero movies that really embraced the fundamental camp of the genre. Every comic book movie that is now 4 miserable hours long and demands to be taken with the utmost sincerity makes me long for the days of the Green Goblin skeletonizing city hall with wacky music playing in the background.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Whedon has had many lesser imitators and eventually twisted into a grotesque parody of himself, but his approach to writing in the late 90s + early 2000s was memorable and unique. I think the medium has mostly moved past him though.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

You can see why Buffy rules but Whedon's output in summary does have an off-putting undercurrent of "female protagonist only becomes strong through getting her rear end kicked for two hours" so that the viewer gets to enjoy the abuse as much as her triumph.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's a strong vibe that Whedon gets off on the abuse and considers that a necessity for a female protagonist to 'earn' the right to be strong. It just came off as feminist at a time when most shows had female protagonists clearly begrudgingly to get their asses kicked and be saved by the male ones.

I don't think Whedon invented the concept or anything, the rape revenge subgenre has been around since at least the 1970s, but he certainly helped to popularize certain aspects like the visual emphasis on bodily harm and strength through suffering of his leads. To the point where I think a lot of people are still incredulous to the idea of a female protagonist who's just naturally gifted, strong or talented in the same way that men are allowed to be, they're total Mary Sues until overpowered and violated by a (usually) stronger man.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

This is how we get antifa

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

For whatever reason a lot of people on the internet have chosen Zack Snyder as the vessel for their own political views, probably because he makes superhero movies instead of stuff they'd have to go read about first. But the material isn't really strong enough to hold much weight. It's probably gonna be uncomfortable when people start defending The Fountainhead as some awesome deconstruction that is owning Ayn Rand, actually.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think what liberal writers miss in their satirical portrayals of conservatives is a belief that it is at all possible for them to feel shame. Racists and bigots don’t care that Archie Bunker is consistently shown to be a fool and the butt of every joke, they love him because there’s someone on TV who is racist and bigoted like them.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I’d say that Colbert and All in the Family were generally playing to like-minded liberals, anyway. The satire wasn’t really intended to get conservatives to reconsider their beliefs, even if it did play into the liberal fantasy that conservatives could change if they got owned hard enough.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

That’s a reasonable but common misconception. Most societies in the ancient world had access to fresh sources of water and knew how to treat it. People made beer and wine because they liked drinking.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I was watching the NYE Twilight Zone marathon and one thing that jumped out at me was how much the poor women actresses were just constantly manhandled on camera. Grabbed at the wrists and yanked around, dramatically shaken by the shoulders while some man says “can’t you seeeee Delores” I’m assuming this is how all people interacted back in the 60s.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Ambitious Spider posted:

I’m not going to say aspects of twilight zone aren’t dated, but I’d say over all it holds up pretty well.— though the one episode that really raised eyebrows I saw was when the two soldiers are the only people left on earth and they don’t speak the same language and the man kind of forces the woman soldier to fall in love with him.

Given the time it could be worse, but definitely kind of icky.

The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street still slaps.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It doesn't bother me that some people idolize Tony Soprano or w/e. Satire doesn't really work when everyone is in on the joke.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Six Feet Under has aged weirdly for me because it's all very well-acted but has that characteristic "all the characters are terrible to each other and also impossibly horny all the time" Alan Ball trademark. Was everybody really that horny 20 years ago? I feel like I've missed out.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

HopperUK posted:

Thank you for linking that Jon Bois video because that reminded me of the existence of 'The Dumbest Boy Alive' and now my day is joyful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eECjjLNAOd4

Whenever Mario 64 speedrunners try to convince me that a half-button press is something that actually exists I think about this video.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Pete & Pete really was ahead of its time.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Rhyming words with the same word is allowed. Also the masses/masses line in War Pigs are two different words, anyway.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

A lot of musical theatre is really boring now because everybody sounds so perfect. It was better back in the days of Hair and JCS when they would put literally anyone up there and left all their mistakes in the edit.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

mass = a gathering, a large conglomeration of people
mass = a religious ceremony, as in, the receiving of the eucharist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

RC and Moon Pie posted:

It does not rhyme in any natural southern accent.

There are some Texan accents where “pride” and “fad” would sound pretty close to each other, if not identical.