Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

sexpig by night posted:

Yea Avenue Q isn't terrible or anything but even before you hit 'everybody's a little bit racist' the entire show screams 'bush era edgy comedy'.

Which is funny to me because Lopez would go on to do Book of Mormon with the south park guys and I'd say that comedy musical is firmly in the 'ageless' side of the divide.

Book of Mormon is a piece of poo poo and Parker and Stone should be fired into the sun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

I think the worst handling of a real-life pregnancy was the Frasier plotline where Daphne gets fat.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

My favorite version of low-fat products is low fat peanut butter, which is just oddly dry peanut butter with a shitload of extra sugar.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

letthereberock posted:

Yeah looking back, roughly 2000-2005 was a really dark time culturally where it really seemed like the right was ascendant and a lot of pop culture was catering to that, to an extent that would seem almost unthinkable today. The nationalism/jingoism coming from 9/11 was certainly part of it, but not the entire story.

Something that stands out to me was a kind of edgy contrarianism in response to the (percieved) sincere, do-good atmosphere of the 90s. I was the perfect age for this era and stuff like Family Guy felt incredibly refreshing at the time because it was a rejection of what seemed like a lot of very forced, artificial narratives about cultural harmony, which is probably why a lot of the humor is via parody of media format. The 90s had a lot of (what we thought of as) very formulaic diversity, like the classic example of the group of kids in a textbook photo where one is black, one is asian, one is hispanic, one is white, and one is in a wheelchair. In the moment, it felt like we were pushing back against the artficiality (something like "everything's great, so if I say these nasty things, you can't get offended, because it's not actually hurting anyone, and if you do get offended, then you're admitting that you failed"), but in retrospect it was also just a handy frame for bullying and racism, which is what we've all kind of figured out in the past decade and change.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

See also the episode where they call motorcyclists "f*ggots", and their extremely popular musical, The Book of Mormon, which is about two airhead missionaries who visit a caricature of an African country, and is widely embraced by almost every other fan of musicals that I know.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

I almost prefer the original ending, where the Africans misunderstand the concept of transubstantiation and eat the missionaries, which at least had the gall to follow through on being abhorrent rather than the sappy, feel-good ending that makes white audiences feel okay about the last two hours of laughing at African stereotypes.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Some of the earliest films ever made (circa 1894) are just documents of performers from Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Canada also still has federally funded Catholic schools, which are insane and bad.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Arivia posted:

Not federally funded. Education is a provincial/territorial responsibility in Canada. You may be thinking of how Ontario has two public school systems, one of which is Catholic; this is a requirement in the province’s constitution.

Oop, you're right. Still stupid and lovely, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

the_steve posted:

I don't know why this made me think the question, but, didn't they make an Amelia Bedelia movie way the hell back?

Apparently Tom Hanks was trying to push through an adaptation a while ago, but nothing came of it.