Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Inescapable Duck posted:

I thought Rescue Bots was like, Paw Patrol with Transformers.

Sort of? It's Transformers for a younger crowd so they help people instead of fighting most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
One of the reasons Spaced took forever to be released in the west is that the producers wanted to preserve all of the licensed music.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

CannonFodder posted:

Newsradio after Phil Hartman died. Just not the same.

Was going to say this. You could tell some of the soul of the show was just gone but they were mandated to continue.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Arivia posted:

MTV is actually looking at reviving Daria. Biggest stumbling block is that Daria’s voice actress left the industry entirely. Not getting her back would be trash.

She's done a lot of interviews about the show in the last few years. Wouldn't be surprised if she was up for returning.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

The Bloop posted:

They do a LOT with their budget each season. Time is also a factor when ABC orders 30 episodes per year. It's still "TV level CGI" most of the time, though, yeah. The space ships last season looked drat good, though.

I feel like the episode count being much lower next season will actually help them a lot if the budget didn't get cut proportionally.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
The thing that sticks out the most about the whole Britney thing to me was that South Park did an episode on it.

And everyone expected it to be heartlessly mocking her but the episode was incredibly sympathetic towards Britney and basically painted her as a literal sacrifice for the pop idol music industry.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

bunnyofdoom posted:

TBF literally every other cast member is pretty left or at least anti-Trump

And Nelson isn't a dick no matter his politics. He doesn't come across as a bigot or anything.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I thought they were doing five seasons, but my memory isn’t what it used to be.

Exactly four. They said the fourth will definitely end the series.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

EvilGenius posted:

The Lumberjack sketch came up on my YouTube feed recently, and I'm going to stick my neck out and say it's still hilarious. I know it's playing up cross dressing for laughs, but it's so unexpected the way he accidentally reveals himself through a song about a masculine stereotype.

I think it also works because it's just plain silly. It's not insulting anyone except as you mentioned the masculine stereotype.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Pick posted:

Think of how good Babylon 5's last episode must be that nerds don't complain about it. :stare:

It was pretty much a perfect finale for the show.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That's because it literally was a D&D campaign adaptation, iirc.

So was The Slayers.

The latter novels even basically have a giant meta plot about it:
The 4 gods of the setting are literally the GMs in a struggle about what part of the adventures should take precedence with each also having favorite characters they want in the spotlight. In one of the books their bickering actually creates a full Deus ex machina because they decide the current adventure isn't working and they need to start a new one.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Sid Vicious posted:

The filmmakers intentions were making a loving awesome movie, and guess what, they got an A+

They were going for a goofier Indiana Jones style adventure film and they nailed it. Agreed.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Sir Lemming posted:

Also you can drat well bet they wanted to get around to a remake eventually. That could get a little dicey.

"Had a little trouble with the fireplace..."

It was actually announced in January

http://collider.com/hunchback-of-notre-dame-live-action-remake/

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Shut up Meg posted:

I recall that he had a bit of a reputation immediately post star trek that he hated anyone talking about it, because he was A Serious Actor Who Did Shakespeare and this bit of TV was a trivial bit of work he did to pay the gas bill and beneath him.

Then he realised he could get paid sackloads of cash to sit in a plastic wheelchair, while other actors in lycra acted out a comic book, and he lightened up.

He lightened up while filming TNG. He outright admits he took the role extremely seriously and was insufferable in the early years because he didn't like his costars making jokes and such on set. It took him a while to learn to relax and have fun with it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I'll give him a pass with Gridlock because the idea was they'd been stuck in traffic for at least a decade.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Shut up Meg posted:

That dialogue in Gridlock was the perfect example of the crap shoehorning mentioned above.

So clumsy and unnecessary for the old ladies to highlight the exact nature of their relationship: the main characters were a catman and a human woman who had given birth to actual kittens - at that stage, I think we're open-minded enough to understand the concept of lesbianism.

Yeah. I was only talking about their age. RTD's stuff handled gay relationships really badly.

Moffatt was only slightly better, unfortunately.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Still one of my favorite jokes in the entire show.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

BioEnchanted posted:

I think I'm just gonna watch Measure of a Man and Deja-Q to get the best eps of season 2, then skip to 3. Will I miss any other good episodes doing that?

Matter of Honour is a really fun look into Klingon life.

Contagion is a pretty decent crisis plot as well.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Animal-Mother posted:

Watched a '97 MST3K recently and there were a dozen transgender jokes because a female actress apparently looked a bit manly to Mike and the bots???

Yeah there's one or two episodes that go into that unfortunately.

For what it's worth, Mike and the crew have actually rewritten old episodes of their new project Rifftrax to remove jokes that haven't aged well.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Barry Foster posted:

I come down hard on Stone and Parker because their politics really are reprehensible, but South Park is often good when they stick to fart jokes and silly poo poo like that.

Their best stuff is when it's the kids doing kid stuff or episodes making fun of society in general (like the internet outage one.)

When they make the show a soapbox for their politics, it's awful.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

AceOfFlames posted:

Didn't they do that again with transgenderism in the sequel?

Both instances are from the sequel.

And the handling of transgenderism in the game is surprisingly...decent? It's used to justify the fact you can play a girl at all (since the first game only had a boy character and you're the same person) and you get to decide if you character is trans or you're just retconning their stated gender from the first game. And there's a whole selection of genders beyond male and female without any joke ones in there.

No matter what you pick there's a scene of rednecks mocking your options right after but they're not portrayed as being right. I did find it cute that if you go with straight white male, they still mock you because they're dicks.

Of course there's a lot of humor in the game that is their usual offensiveness later on like Chef's obese stripper girlfriend being an early boss fight.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Moana is great and I will fight you.

Moana is great but its handling of Polynesian culture is a bit iffy. It's obviously not intended to be disrespectful but it still somewhat is.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Angry Salami posted:

while the Lion King became a beloved hit for a generation.

I'd argue it's the best of the 90s Disney renaissance films, at least for the target market.

They had such a solid series of movies but Lion King (and Aladdin) are the two that keep kids entertained from start to finish.

Beauty and the Beast is of course great still but it does have a lot that goes over kids heads and bores them in the middle. It just feels a bit more targeted towards young teens and up than the others.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

Sisko is an idiot and fell for the equivalent of selling freshman elevator passes.

That or the academy budgets transporter use to keep students on campus.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
The Q are only "benevolent" in that they've decided to leave everyone else alone for the most part.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Icon Of Sin posted:

I like that Commander Riker, Tasha Yar, Q, (and I think I’m missing one?) all showed up as voice actors in XCOM 2.

Troy was there too. She's the reaper leader.

In fact all three of the human factions are led by a TNG actor which is hilarious.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
That's probably why I find the more over the top stuff like the Moore films have ironically aged a little better. They are so ridiculous and camp you can't take any of seriously.

Unlike say the Connery era where they do mostly really try to be taken as gritty thrillers (for the time.) Dr. No and Thunderball are still decently entertaining despite their problematic parts

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

the_steve posted:

Speaking of bad things that were aged horribly from birth: I remember this old sitcom that starred David Spade. I think Kirstie Allie was in it too. Pretty sure they were working at a fashion magazine, could be wrong about that part.
What I definitely remember though was that for awhile, Spade's character was dating a supermodel by having gaslighted her into thinking she was too ugly to even leave the apartment and that he was the only one who loved her for her.

That was Just Shoot Me. It has not aged well at all.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Samuringa posted:

Worked great for JJJ in the Spider-Man game

He was a highlight for sure. I kinda like the MCU take as a more Alex Jones style broadcaster too.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Vandar posted:

Bob's Burgers is wholesome as gently caress and I'm real excited about the movie next year.

Yeah the only kind of iffy part in Bob's I can think of was some of Marshmallow's early appearances but I don't think it was at all intentional.

The show is one of the best feel good comedies on TV right now.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

blatman posted:

When I tried to find a place to watch Harley Quinn in Canada I couldn't find poo poo due to region locking, anyone know if there's a source now? I saw a couple clips on Youtube and it looks brilliant

I've got adult swim through Prime. It does mean a subscription on top of a subscription though. Episodes show up Sunday mornings.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

grittyreboot posted:

One thing that bothered me about the theatrical releases is they don't show how they dealt with Sarumon. For all we know, this incredibly dangerous evil wizard is still chilling in his tower by the end of the movies.

Yeah this and the extended Helms Deep stuff are the only extended edition stuff I feel should have been included.

I know HD is already pretty long but the extended one actually flows better.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

BioEnchanted posted:

It's kind of amusing that Ed becomes one of the most relatable characters as you get older because he's a man who used to enjoy his job but got all the joy crushed out of him by an oppressive corporate atmosphere and is now severely burnt out. As people get older they go from Heffer, to Rocko, to Ed.

Same with the good seasons of the Simpsons really. You start sympathizing with Marge and Homer (despite his antics) when you rewatch the old episodes.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Henchman of Santa posted:

So many people are worried about Kim dying but it’s far more likely Saul will just crater their relationship.

season 5 spoiler Or she might go too far for even Jimmy

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Toshimo posted:

I think the pre-Chevy roasts that were a collab were fine. I enjoyed Shatner and Hef, and the bits I've seen of Jerry Stiller and Drew Carey were good.

Yeah the earlier ones definitely weren't intended to be mean. You can clearly tell the ones that are just friends goofing around.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Ellison obviously had some pretty big personal demons, but, at least according to the producer of the game adaptation of I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream, was a decent guy if you got to know him.

I get the impression Ellison's biggest thing was severe social anxiety given he was such a recluse.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Shogun does have those embarrassing scenes revolving around Japanese women being impressed by the white lead's enormous dick.

But it does feel like Clavell at least attempted to get the cultures right and does try to treat them with some respect. With mixed results but there was an attempt to avoid caricatures.

It's romanticized but that's often a staple of historical fiction.

Mokinokaro has a new favorite as of 20:19 on Jun 11, 2020

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Scaramouche posted:

You night want to watch a movie called Fury Road...

The amazing thing about that movie for me is that it is NEVER a bad choice to watch no matter the mood.

It doesn't drag ever. It tells its story in a really digestible manner though with lots of small details should you pay attention and it sets a mood that you just can't help but get swept up in.

I honestly can't think of a single fault with Fury Road or a way it can age badly save the actual apocalypse happening.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I was going to argue that with Scott Pilgrim but I forgot Pegg was involved there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Icon Of Sin posted:

Jurassic Park and the OG Star Wars bring the prime examples of that.

Jurassic Park actually uses a lot of CG. They were just very careful about when and where it's used.

There's also blending of animatronics and CG like in the T-Rex's running.