Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Pretty sure that's still how they teach kids here in 'Merica but I could be wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Solice Kirsk posted:

I wish there was a listing site for murder houses or haunted houses that are being sold for dirt cheap because I would buy either in a heart beat. What's a ghost gonna do? Rattle plates until it wakes me up from my drunken stupor? Ha, good luck. Or a murder house. How many separate murders can take place in one house? I'm sure statistically speaking I'd be safer from murder in a murder house than a non-muder house.

I just watched a cheesy rear end horror movie on Amazon Prime called Bad Ben about a middle aged balding white guy who bought a house for suspiciously cheap to flip for good money. He ends up being a Great Value Frank Reynolds and just argues with the ghost about how he's staying and you can get the hell out. Not scary at all but not a bad way to kill and hour and a half. I've watched shittier movies.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Holy poo poo, Amazon has been trying to get me to watch that for a while and I always resisted it because it just looked like flaming rear end but that description kind of has me sold. Store-brand Frank Reynolds arguing with a ghost sounds hilarious.

Like don't go expecting it to be great but if you got some videogames to play or something go for it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

joshtothemaxx posted:

This movie is seriously incredible. He also made two sequels about the same house/dude that are equally amazing.

Edit: he also does live question answer session is on Facebook. Sometimes he wears a Fedora and it's amazing as well.

Now see I didn't get much out of the second movie because the couple just wasn't as entertaining as Not Frank but Badder Ben was fun as hell too. I wasn't expecting to enjoy them when I watched the first but nope it was solid as hell.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

lemon-lyme disease posted:

Only the ones that would’ve made it to the egg count as a person. Everyone knows that. And yet when you try to argue that life begins at being the most capable sperm in any particular load, jeez do people get worked up.

I once had someone tell me that using a condom was killing a baby because it was preventing the sperm from reaching the egg and she couldn't explain why having a period wasn't killing a baby since it was preventing an egg from getting fertilized

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Can I stream Red Dwarf anywhere?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

You guys got me trying to track down a show from the mid 90s now and I'm having no luck.

It was a power rangers esque show with teenagers who fight bad guys in robots(?) and all I remember about it was I saved up to get the combining action figure set and it was no articulation and was super boring. I want to say the legs were formed out of a tank like vehicle that slid over an Ultraman looking guys legs but I could be wrong.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

food court bailiff posted:

It's been ages since I've seen it too but IIRC they strongly tie alchemy back to the real-world Holocaust and atomic bomb explosions, and the brothers eventually end up in real-world Nazi Germany.

I want to say alchemy was powered by the Holocaust too which is pretty :stare:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Is this like the Friends FMV game joke?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Mighty Max figures owned and I still have almost all of them in a box at my dad's house including the super rad mountain and dragon island ones.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Tiggum posted:

Wait, so there's a game that generates different monsters based, somehow, on what audio CDs you put into the console? How does that work?

I always found it pretty weird that the Beetlejuice cartoon existed. And Betelgeuse was a friendly prankster in it. And the Maitlands just weren't in it at all. It's basically got nothing to do with the movie.

Unrelatedly, it always annoys me that the movie is called Beetlejuice instead of Betelgeuse. There's even a joke in the film about his name being spelled that way.

There's five CD based one a couple word based and one drawing based. How have you managed to miss out on Monster Rancher?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Beachcomber posted:

Not a TV episode, but I was thinking about Weird Al recently and one of his songs, The Night Santa Went Crazy has aged badly in that no one in the US of twenty years ago knew that "gyped" was a racial slur. There's probably some other stuff with the same problem.

Most people in the US now don't know gyped is a racial slur.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Kunster posted:

Or come across Romani People in general. I remember someone honestly thinking it was a fantasy race of some sort!

Artsy white girls love to say they have gypsy souls too which makes no sense to me

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

BioEnchanted posted:

There's also the old story about Christopher Lee correcting the direction on a movie he was acting in because he knew exactly how a guy being stabbed in the back sounded and the director's direction was unrealistic.

Peter Jackson and Lord of the Rings

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Do comedians count? Christopher Titus gets less and less funny with each standup he puts out. Pretty much everything after his wife cheated on him is just bitter and hateful. And yeah his early stuff and tv show weren't happy and cheerful but he just seems spiteful now.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Tiggum posted:

It didn't turn to, it was bad from the beginning. Better examples are Red Dwarf or Jonathan Creek, which despite coming back for only a few episodes after multi-year breaks are still absolute garbage these days. Whether the seasons are 3 episodes or 52, sometimes a show's just run its course and should end.

I think I only caught one season of the new Dwarf but if memory serves it should have ended a season sooner than it actually did

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Rascar Capac posted:

It should have ended with Series 6.

Was that when Rimmer left or when they got back to the Dwarf?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Krispy Wafer posted:

Yeah, but the Japanese are also known for their cameras.

The Swiss probably wear nicer watches than the average person, the French drink more wine, and Americans probably own more guns.

Probably?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

oldpainless posted:

Racism is bad but I always laugh at “me so solly” and I probably always will

Uhf isn't a great movie but

https://youtu.be/RB2GboGOuTI

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

BiggerBoat posted:

haha. My ex was the same way and sued to give me poo poo bout watching "old man" shows. She's make funny but I don't think she ever actually watched an episode. Then she'd watch garbage like Dancing With the Stars.

Mine wouldn't watch anything that came out before she was born (early 90s) and called me a pathetic loser for not watching reality TV.

She was not a good person

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

BiggerBoat posted:

Off topic, but what's a bank heist game? Only ones I can think of are in the Batman Arkham series.

Payday, Payday 2, I think at least one of the Kane and Lynch games is about a bank heist, multiple GTA plots

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’m pretty sure the gently caress that was dubbed over in the US as well.

It did. I always read on SA it was originally going to be an R rated movie before they changed their mind and edited it down accordingly. Tony Shalub was supposed to be a massive stoner which explains his mellow demeanor and constant eating

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

GrandpaPants posted:

I imagine it's basically a magic 8 ball except it's white.

You ever have a really old magic 8 ball? Growing up I got an old one that I'm pretty sure predated my birth in 89. The liquid was kinda gone and the thing inside was broken so you'd get anything from 0-2 answers when you shake it.

Basically that only white.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The guy who runs the till at a comic shop I go to says Funkopops on the whole are on their way out, having been demoted to half a shelf, and I want this to be true.

I hate funkopops because they hedge their bets and make figures from every licence. Does anyone remember the game Evolve? Yes even that flop got funkopops. I hate these things for being ugly artless lumps of plastic made with a surface-level understanding of the licence. There's one of Morty Smith holding the seeds he has to put up his butt, which is weak since that was one scene in the pilot episode years ago.

I can appreciate a Vader T-shirt or a Beeping Triforce keychain because those can be used as normal objects

/derail

Counterpoint:
https://www.bigapplecollectibles.com/products/jurassic-park-funko-pop-dr-ian-malcolm-injured-pre-order?variant=4880940531753

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Mu Zeta posted:

He's Arab and speaks Arabic much more convincingly than Jin speaks Korean

That's because the irl actor didn't speak Korean

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Mister Kingdom posted:

Caught an episode of Married with Children this morning where Peggy had to get a job because Al wouldn't buy her a VCR (that's dated by itself) and she's talking about an episode of Oprah she's missing. The topic? "Transgender people - which bathroom do they use".

Ouch.

I thought we were still having that debate because people care entirely too much about keeping women and children safe from those icky transpeople :negative:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

JediTalentAgent posted:

Not so much an episode, but a small pop culture segment from SNL's Weekend Update. I think it's a Tina Fey/Jimmy Fallon episode, but the exchange goes something like:

Fallon: *something about the Lord of the Rings movies, gets characters names wrong.*
Fey: *Corrects the characters' names*
Fallon: *coughing* "Nerd" *coughing*

Given how hugely important and popular the nerd/geek stuff has gotten in the last few years, the joke in 2014-onward would be the person NOT knowing the names of all these character being called stupid for their mistake.

It's 2018 and I still take joy in telling my co-workers their nerds when they start talking about GoT. It's just a fun low hanging fruit joke.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

BioEnchanted posted:

I like The Raven because it's basically about a guy who becomes so obsessed with the occult after losing his wife that he sees dark omens everywhere, even in a raven getting into his house. Just shoo the bird out mate, it's lost. It's a pest, not a prophet.

When I was an edgy preteen in junior high The Raven popped up in our reading book and I tried to get away with saying he got the bird as a pet after Lenore died and it was a poem about how he was hoping his pet would never leave him like she did.

I did not get a good grade on thst despite having backed my interpretation up with lines from the poem :negative:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Yeah...Rory is at worst trashy for sleeping with a married guy. How dare she have sex with more than one person?!

The wookie cosplayer was her only one night stand iirc

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Henchman of Santa posted:

I remember Cubix being on WB next to Yu-Gi-Oh and Ultimate Muscle and that show about luchadores

Mucha Lucha

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

Also, along that vein, holy poo poo did the show Pretty Little Liars have a problem with adult dudes hitting on teenagers; it was like every other episode that some 28-year-old was trying to hook up with one of the extremely underage protagonists.

My other half watched that show and it was weird how the characters were supposed to be high schoolers yet acted like college freshman for the most part.

Plus the one did date her teacher

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Koalas March posted:

The Clerk's TV show did this too. It was the pilot, which made it even better.

I thought it was episode 2? At least that's the order I remember it being on the DVD

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Krispy Wafer posted:

I looked it up before I even posted and Urban Dictionary says it’s a Community creation.

The Queen’s English can be weird, but I didn’t realize it was streets ahead of other dialects.

I don't know it Urban Dictionary is really a reliable source.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

rodbeard posted:

That's literally the exact moment I decided to stop watching the Simpsons.

I get irrationally irritated everytime someone makes the Beerfest "it'll be like Landfill never died" joke because of that episode

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

BioEnchanted posted:

A summer camp run by movie monsters would be pretty fun, in a Addam's Family kind of way - Freddy Kreuger teaches Metal and Leather work and does talks on Jungian psychology, Jason makes those sculptures from chainsawing a Log etc. Eddie Scissorhands can come and do the landscaping. He's not a monster of course, but he needs friends.

I think you just created a future Hotel Transylvania spin off.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Pick posted:

Shining Time Station owned, I'm autistic as gently caress and I love trains.

Pick I'm not autistic as gently caress but the only way Shining Time could have been more rad when I was a small child was if it had dinosaurs in it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Beachcomber posted:

This show seems incredibly pandering.

I mean it's got dinosaurs and trains does it need anything else to check off every box of what 5 year old boys dig?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

burial posted:

:golfclap:

If you find a replace “food” with “thing” (and make the adjectives more general) don’t you have ALL derails covered?

It makes for a weird circumsion derail

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Stealing this from a different thread but this clip and joke did not age well.

Katt posted:

Edgy 20 something me loved this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj0mtxXEGE8

Back when Rodney King was the major police abuse case in recent memory. Back when police officers, beating a black man who was undeniably guilty of a crime, turned into a major civil rights case with international headlines and before the internet too.

Hindsight Jesus. Today police officers murder innocent black people left and right on camera and nothing happens. They do it with the support of half the nation and lukewarm condemnation by the other half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I love how the transformers wiki has a self awareness wookiepedia lacks