Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

yeah goldfish basically only die like they do because so many people go "i can keep this in a bowl" this can get huge

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/02/13/man-catches-20-pound-goldfish-kentucky-using-leftover-biscuit/2857138002/

edit: may not actually be a goldfish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Toshimo posted:

Ohio sucks all the time.

Can confirm this to be true. I used to dream about getting out of this state, but it's never gonna happen and I'm just going to die here.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

H Jon Benjamin and Patrick Warburton both have great voices and they should do audiobooks

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Push El Burrito posted:

I mean, Jon already did a jazz album so why not.

welp i know what i'm listening to

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

Goddamn you're in for such an amazing treat I envy your opportunity to hear it with fresh ears so much. It's a Christmas tradition in my house now for some reason.

i was hoping for more vocal work but that still went places

so did his danger zone cover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUqT4nygMe0

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

That Italian Guy posted:

Didn't he pull the gender-swapped version of that in the SW prequels, with Padme and Anakin? When they meet the first time, Anakin is played by a (very young) child actor and Padme is already played by Natalie Portman...and in the next movie, set a few years later (and with a teenage actor for Anakin) they fall in love?

He's 9 and she's 14 in Phantom Menace, ten years later he's 19 and she's 24.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cleretic posted:

Speaking of media that didn't age well, but for a different reason than usual: Monster Rancher!

Yeah, turns out making your whole game's gimmick 'put in CDs that the game will scan and generate a unique monster for' ABSOLUTELY did not survive outside of the PS1 and PS2. Which is a shame, that's a really clever idea for how to personalize a collection of monsters and bring in some wild rumors and talking points ("guys, I summoned a zombie by putting in the soundtrack to the movie Spawn!*"), but there's just no way to recreate that outside of those two consoles. They apparently tried to do a nod to that when they ported it to the Switch and mobile platforms by letting you generate monsters based on a list of CDs from the era, but... c'mon, that's not the same as raiding your family's CDs, DVDs and games and seeing what happens if you make a monster out of your dad's KISS CD.

*This one is actually true and the intended method of getting this monster

GBA used word banks, DS you drew pictures

It could have gone mobile and generated monsters based on mp3s like that tower defense game iOS had back in the 00s

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Square Enix released a tactical RPG where you summoned troops based on your mp3s.

...for the iPod.

...like, the click wheel iPod.

they later ported it to like iphone and whatever but I'm mostly calling out the click wheel controls :ssh:

Apparently it's unlisted and can't be bought anymore

I wonder why the videogame historians aren't up in arms about that like they are PT. At least this was actually a game and not a demo for a game that's never coming out that plays nothing like the game it's advertising

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Neito posted:

The funniest time this happened to me was Ghostbusters 2016, where they tried to play off downtown Boston as if it were NYC. It'd've been less noticable in retrospect had they not made the unfortunate choice to use the area around my girlfriend's law school as "NYC".

Supernatural has an episode set in Canton, Ohio at a wax museum. There isn't a wax museum in Canton and as far as I know the only one in this godforsaken state is out in Ashland and Bible themed

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

docbeard posted:

The 24 episode set in Kidron OH (which was presented as a moderate sized city and which in reality may have at some point since I last visited gotten their first traffic light) also comes to mind.

I haven't been through Kidron in almost a decade, but I checked Google and as of the most recent picture taken this year it does not have one

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

luc besson is a pedophile

edit: i say that because the thumbnail is fifth element

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Ambitious Spider posted:

It's what made me nope out of Elfen Lied one episode in.

There's a lot of reasons to nope out of that show in episode one, I don't know how I ever got through the show

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I liked the commentary track for Tropic Thunder. At one point RDJ makes a comment in the movie that he doesn't break character until the DVD commentary is over

And he does the commentary in character

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I always felt like Topher Grace would have been the ideal Peter Parker (and, hell, not as a stunt casting nod to That 70's Show, but Laura Prepon would have been a great Mary Jane!) but as a kid, I was really annoyed that they cast him instead as, of all people, Eddie Brock since Brock is supposed to be this big muscle guy.

But then as an adult, looking back, when you see how much Spider-Man 3 sets up Brock as sort of just 'what if Parker was an rear end in a top hat?' and really plays up the comparisons between the two, where he's just this nerdy reporter except he has no scruples unlike Parker, having him be played by Grace makes a lot more sense and honestly is kind of inspired casting.

The movie is overall bad I feel, but ultimately it's biggest impression I think is just how uneven it is. It's funny as gently caress at times and its highs are pretty great, but its lows are bad and numerous.

i assumed the casting was a nod to the then newer Ultimate Spiderman where Brock wasn't a big muscle guy

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

ultimate came out in 2000, had a high school peter, and he didn't use webslingers

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

poly and open-minded posted:

He used webshooters. His dad started working on them iirc

Man I should really remember that ):

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I couldn't even make it through the wiki page for AS

Y'all are stronger than I am.

I did once pull out https://www.galtse.cx in an rpg when my roll to put someone to sleep worked real well. "Len, tell me. How do you this tree full of birds asleep"

The dm had to compose himself because that wasn't what he was expecting

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

i saw this shared on facebook and i don't know where to put it. but considering luc besson is a pedophile maybe they should have used a different movie to make this joke

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Gaunab posted:

What Blizzard news?

how have you missed it? https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/21/business/activision-blizzard-california-lawsuit.html

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

GoutPatrol posted:

whoa, I didn't know videogame MIDIs and The Decemberists are now buttrock

Also They might be Giants and weird al

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Volcott posted:

Dad rock is, like, stuff from 2004 now. The 80s is Oldies.

https://www.nowmusic.com/albums/now-dad-rocks/

Fuckin' Avril Lavigne is on there

Edit: should have gone to the next page first

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The Moon Monster posted:

If the shirt has flames and Goku on it it's a Goku shirt, not a flame shirt.

My shirts had flames and dragons. I was a deprived child and missed out on DBZ by not having Cartoon Network until deep into the Buu Saga

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

mandatory lesbian posted:

Wow, im a teen again...this sucks

but at least you have knowledge this time. leverage it to get into a better place!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Icon Of Sin posted:

Between that and the old incarnations of the bachelor-poo poo threads, i learned exactly how nasty some goons can be :vomarine:

I will never forget the post where a goon talks about how he kept his place a disaster unless it was "rutting season" which was the only time he cleaned

I'm also fairly certain someone chronicled her attempt at getting to screw someone in one of those haunted house attractions in one of those threads

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

These stories sound horrible. I must read them. Anyone have a handy link?

Also, back to media that hasn't aged well- in Never Been Kissed Drew Barrymore plays a woman in her twenties infiltrating a high school to get the "hot stories." You know, all of the super interesting poo poo that teens are doing that adults definitely care about. Anyway, over the course of the movie, she macks on one of the teenagers, gets heavy flirt vibes from an adult teacher who thinks she's a teen, and her brother, who also joins in on this charade, nearly has sex with an underage girl and tries to get a second shot at playing college baseball which is a whole other ball of wax.

Hell if I know what thread exactly those are from but here's a few:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3192256&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3398148&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3889930&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Toshimo posted:

Buddy, the 80's were so vastly different from today.

For example, Married With Children is older than the FICO credit score

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Rockman Reserve posted:

the last season had so much time compression i thought laguna and squall were going to show up

This deserves to live on a new page

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

CelticPredator posted:

Anti spoiler culture is a bit poo poo too. Sometimes the surprise is really all that film has and it’s nice to experience in the right setting. See cap grabbing Thor’s hammer.

That scene was legendary in the theater. And that’s all it needs to be imo.

wait that was a surprise and not just a ":meh: of course it was going to happen"?

apparently we don't have a meh emote. good to know

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Frank Grimes becomes a lot less sympathetic realising he takes all his rage out on Homer and not the guy who pays him

This is why I don't discuss how much I make with coworkers. There's been too many times they get furious with me and make it A Thing

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

It's probably just because it happened like an hour from me, but Ive always felt UKS was kind of inspired by the guy in Cleveland?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ariel_Castro_kidnappings?wprov=sfla1

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Zaroff posted:

I thought McFarlane had moved on from the production of Family Guy years ago (maybe around the time of the Star Wars specials?) - he’s now just coming in to do the voices.

well ten years ago he thought it should have ended

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-15286557

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Jedit posted:

Not as angry as I am that Terminator: SCC got cancelled in favour of Dollhouse.

didn't it also get cancelled because the rights went up in price due to that christian bale movie?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I wonder if that's better or worse than this thing

https://youtu.be/2DS0DssvTjc

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Waste of Breath posted:

Hell yeah, he's a top tier trickster. It's a shame the only mainstream invocation of him has been in American Gods, compared to the exposure Loki and Maui got.

I swear I remember reading a thing about them wanting to do an Anansi Boys adaption and going "but could the main characters be white?" and Neil just putting a firm veto on that whole thing

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

PhazonLink posted:

Going by a radiolab(??) episode I heard about him, yeah he's okay with his early 00s viral fad status.

well except that one time where he was trying to be a teacher and couldnt get control of the class and the senior teacher flatout told him either get them under control or youre never going to be a teacher. children(teens/HSers?) / students are pychos. :smith:

Also here's his cover of We Are The Champions thats the outro of the npr episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pt2P4F4Xi2g

That's on his first album Inspiration which came with a bonus Day in the Life DVD

He got so excited about double energy pokemon cards on that

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

2nd level spells posted:

Everyone should unionize.

I've never been in a union but with the amount of money and time companies spend to demonize them I'm pretty sure I want to be

For content

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/15064/pimp-backhanding

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The worst part of every Dresden book is when he writes sex scenes. Please stop

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Kwyndig posted:

He doesn't put one in every book but yeah he really can't write them.

If they at least improved as the series progressed it would be less terrible but they don't. It's just awkward and terrible everytime

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Basically any female character in Naruto gets done dirty by the writer

Also he just drops Rock Lee the drunken master and ???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Rock Lee got done dirty.