Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

flatluigi posted:

things that definitely haven't aged well: saying how exotic you think a given person is

Reminded me of this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Kanine posted:

recently remembered the ace ventura films and uhhhh wow

Hoooooooo yeah, those are best forgotten.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Mrs. Doubtfire had some pretty decent gay representation for it's time, in all honesty. The couple wasn't mocked or made to appear wrong or gross, there was no overt "ew icky" or "no homo" bullshit like so many other movies tend to do. Him having a gay relative in a loving relationship with another man, and him treating them both like regular people was honestly quite nice. At least from what I remember.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

There was some early 90s cartoon show that I used to watch, the only thing I remember about it at all was one episode had the "man in a dress to trick the male protagonist" garbage that was so prevalent back then. The thing that got seared into my brain is the use of the word "sexy" in the show. I remember absolutely nothing else about it. Just being shocked at the use of the word by the villain to describe how he was going to fool the main character by dressing like a woman. I don't remember the name of the show, the characters, any other episodes.

It was not Johnny Bravo though, this predates that by a lot.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

The only thing I know about Gundam aside from the giant transforming statue is the Yamata department store in Ikebukuro in Tokyo has an entire floor dedicated to Gundam

We were shopping for new headphones for my husband and went to see it because of the sign in the elevator

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Alhazred posted:

Watched Framing Britney Spears and the way the media handled her did not age well. There's a clip from a talentshow when she was a little girl and the old rear end host asks her if he can be her boyfriend.

I saw the clip from an interview where they played a video of a lady saying she wanted to shoot Britney in the head then asked her if she still felt she was a good role model. There's no way she wasn't deeply traumatized by what they did to her. It's so depressing.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I grew up in a small town on the Canadian prairie and the principal used to hit kids with rulers and belts when I was in elementary school. If you were REALLY bad you got the belt on your bare rear end. This was not questioned by other adults either. Teachers were okay with it, parents were okay with it. I'd go home and mention someone from my class was sent to the office and got the belt. And I'm not even 40 yet. I think that poo poo died in cities a number of years earlier, at least near where I was.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

The oldest goldfish on record lived to age 50.

Amazing what will happen when you nurture an animal instead of forcing it to live in a tiny prison prison, drinking it's own piss and poo poo 24/7

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Bit late, but I have an uncanny knack for recognizing the Canadian Rocky Mountains. Way more than half of movies with mountain scenery that isn't CGI is filmed here.

Except one hilarious exception. Wolverine: Origins took place in Canada, but they filmed it in New Zealand. We don't have fern trees here. As a major natural history nerd, that was more jarring to me than any familiar mountain they claim is in Wyoming.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Phy posted:

I guess cows don't get loose in Cowtown, they got that poo poo on lock. Calgary's ungulates-run-amok news stories are generally about loose moose. Which makes sense, considering.

E: agh I copied the .ca link (Toronto restaurant) instead of the .com (Calgary theatre)

It's because we have cops on horses. I've seen them a few times up the street from my house. And if they think horses aren't intimidating enough, they cruise around in their million dollar armoured car instead. Seen that at the Tim Horton's a few blocks away a couple of times.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I actually hadn't seen that one, it's great because it's true. So many country boy yahoo wannabes that haven't kicked a single cow pattie in all their life.

The horse cops in my neeeeeighbourhood totally wear the cowboy hats outside of Stampede. Although it's been a couple years since I've actually seen them. Guess they moooooved on the other pastures.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Alhazred posted:

Well, according to my younger work colleagues, Dr. Dre, Wu Tang, 2Pac and Snoop Dogg are old school hip hop.

They've been considered old school since like 2003 when everyone started lamenting the death of the genre thanks to gangsta rap becoming popular. Fans had to declare whether they liked 'modern' or 'old school'.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Chloe Jessica posted:

i wish adult animated shows would try to branch out their animation styles more instead of all using variations on Family Guy's "pop-eyed caricature" style. Archer is the only one i can think of that tried something unique.

e: also South Park

It's got big B^U energy and I loving hate it. Even if the show is good, the art style just makes me angry more and more as time goes on as more shows copy it.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Good old McDonald's Trump.

Wonder what ever happened to him.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

When I see people talk about Disney Channel, all I remember is Dumbo's Circus and Welcome to Pooh Corner.

They were both creepy as all hell.

Also where I lived, they weren't actually on the Disney Channel, we didn't have that. It was called Family Channel here. But I'm pretty sure they were made by Disney Channel then licensed to other channels internationally.

SulfurMonoxideCute has a new favorite as of 08:34 on Feb 20, 2022

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Man, I wish lighthouse keeper was still a job. I'd love that so much right now. Safe from COVID, plenty of time to read and watch movies or video games, get to enjoy nature, work that is regular and meaningful and actually helpful to people. God drat that'd own.

There's a seasonal job here that's kind of similar. Forest fire watch. You live in a tiny cabin on top of a mountain for fire season. No electricity aside from a solar panel and a generator but they'll helicopter drop you supplies and food. I've considered applying for a season, I may still do that someday. I learned during covid and the few years prior when a chronic illness got severe that I am exceptionally good at hanging out by myself all the time.

There is an issue with morons not respecting your space sometimes. I was chatting with one a few years back after a hike, and she said a lot of people like to hike at night, which I do to, but they're apparently unaware that someone lives in the building and they shine their lights in the windows and sometimes they to get in. She ended up carrying up a bunch of handmade signs telling people to stay away unless invited, and to never use the outhouse so it doesn't overflow.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I'm really trying to remember what middle-aged Clay Aiken mom fans called themselves and I can't remember. My only memory is that it was weird/creepy/possibly perverted.

I keep thinking up random terrible names such as "Clayliens" "Claytonayters" "Claytorises" "Claymbiciles" "Claybabes" "Claydiots" "ClayClams"

But I don't think any of those are it and I'm too lazy to google

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I googled it and it's a crossword clue. Claymates

I'm surprised I didn't think of that one. Claybabes was kind of close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I have zero problems with an "80 million dollar thirst trap". The world loving sucks. I don't want high brow intellectual media all the time. Sometimes I just want dopey fun. I'm already emotionally taxed well past the breaking point and have been most my life. Please give me a silly action movie full of hot people for the sake of escapism, I'm loving begging you.