Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Futurama has a lot of throwaway jokes about gay or transgender people that aren't really ok in 2017, as well as the episode where Bender becomes female and essentially acts like a camp drag stereotype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Straight White Shark posted:

Not anymore, at least. These days he looks older than he actually is.

Content: watched Gremlins 2 the other night. It's such a goofy over-the-top movie to begin with that it's tough to say it's aged poorly, but the camera-mad Japanese tourist sticks out like a sore thumb. Seeing outdated stereotypes in old movies is one thing but it's even more jarring when they're stereotypes that were current and fresh when you were growing up.

While this is absolutely an outdated stereotype, I think it's funny that the old stereotype of the camera-happy japanese tourist who just takes photos of everything and anything now pretty much applies to any first world tourist following phones with good cameras becoming the norm.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Mu Zeta posted:

I want a medical drama in the style of The Wire that's all about making the weekly metrics, dealing with funding, and all the bureaucratic BS that's in the health field. Absolutely zero scenes of practicing medicine or surgeries.

I, too, want to see a Garth Mehrenghi's Darkplace spinoff all about Thornton Reed.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

This was the part of the movie I really liked (well, compared to the rest, that was pretty poor) but only because it meant you got a climactic fight in a city that wasn't New York or Generic American City, because I've seen people/robots/monsters thrown through American buildings like a hundred times, so at least it was a nicely different place to have a fight.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

hawowanlawow posted:

I started rewatching the ghost in the shell series after like ten years, and I found myself asking: "why isn't the major wearing clothes again?" and "why does this shot of two government officials talking have half the frame taken up by the major's camel toe?"

Ha, I just started watching this too and had the exact same thoughts

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

muscles like this! posted:

He was also in this terrible movie in the early 90s called Earth Angel where the filmmakers were too cheap to spring for kid actors for characters so Mark Hamill, Erik Estrada and Cindy Williams (who were all in their 40s) had to play teenagers in the opening of the movie.

oh god, one of my friends at university was obsessed with this movie for some reason and I saw it over and over. It's so bad and I've no idea why they liked it so much.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

pretty soft girl posted:

I dont know if I'd want to see a full movie of it but I've always wanted to see an inversion of the plot where ghosts aren't real and the Ghostbusters are legitimately deliberate dangerous conmen instead of well-meaning dangerous borderline conmen

Wouldn't even need to change venkman's character for it to work

You should watch Los Espookys. It's not quite that but its great reverse ghostbusters any how

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Mr.Chill posted:

Now THAT'S a title that hasn't been uttered in many a moon.

I remember seeing the ads for Lexx and thinking "That's the opposite of what I enjoy."
A decade later a friend showed me one of the tv Lexx movies and thought "Oh, this is just edgelord Red Dwarf."

Extremely horny edgelord Red Dwarf

Lexx was crazy. Also horny.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
It is pretty funny that of all games, the Saints Row series managed to have a protagonist where the Boss' gender was basically chosen in the player's head, you could have the body, voice and clothing combination you wanted (although not every game handled it identically I admit) and people reacted you to the same regardless of voice or what genitals you may or may not have. It's really nicely done how people address and talk about the boss while avoiding using gendered pronouns but IMO it never feels like a cop-out because it's so smoothly done even in a ridiculous game series.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

And a Zim related post got over 1.5m likes on insta the other day! https://www.instagram.com/p/CbTXQbDvDV6/

I guess don't click if you don't want to see a (clothed) butt

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I re-watched 3 Days of the Condor, which I've not seen since I was a teenager and oh boy, those 1970s vibes haven't all aged well.

Robert Redford's character coerces his hostage Faye Dunaway into sex at gunpoint while she's still partially tied up (although she's partway to falling for him as happens in films where a Handsome Protagonists holds someone at gunpoint or ties them up) and the music certainly gets all romantic, but afterwards she makes very clear she wasn't fully willing. But she still likes him, of course.

There's a scene where he's asking a group of people if someone can help break into a car and turns to the black guy in the group and says "surely you've broken into a car before?" and sure maybe it's coincidence that's who he turned to.

Then there's the whole setup which is that he works for the CIA and somehow doesn't know that the CIA are murderous loons hell-bent on being Extremely Bad People (and that some people in the CIA might not be as bad). Also, the film features a fictional CIA office in the World Trade Center and after 9/11 it turned out there really was a CIA office there.

It's still a great film, but very of its time.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

mind the walrus posted:

Your mileage will vary significantly because most of these shows are about deeply unpleasant people, but-- Malcolm in the Middle, Sopranos, the first 2-3ish seasons of Scrubs, Six Feet Under, The Wire, Deadwood, Dead Like Me, the first 1-2ish seasons of Battlestar Galactica, Band of Brothers.

Parts of The Sopranos have not aged well tbh. Watched the whole thing recently, and the pacing is glacial compared to a more modern show. Even in the final season and then the last few episodes, there's still dumb sometimes jokey side stuff happening that goes nowhere and distracts from the main plot. It feels like you could cut out a third of each season and not lose anything, at least.

Also, and very noticeably tbh, the show is incredibly unpleasant in its treatment of women. It's absolutely grim. Female characters turn up just to be abused, hurt or killed and get less screen time and lines in the process than the men do. And everything that goes down with Adriana The story is largely only interested in them as victims or as objects to distract/castigate men who die or get abandoned. The camera's lingering male gaze is also extremely loving uncomfortable at times, especially when it comes to Meadow. Yeah sure, there's a degree where you can say oh it's about a subculture of men who are misogynistic themselves but it goes beyond what the characters do, to what the camera and the writing does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

He literally is yes

Alan Moore doesn't get along with him because they are different kinds of wizards

Grant Morrison uses they/them pronouns fyi.