Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I thought that cartoon was scary when I was very young. The one where they're being stalked by a Medusa in Questworld, for instance. Looking back on it, there was nothing scary about it, but at the time it was too creepy for me.

A couple of other shows with dubious-looking computer animation I remember from various points in my childhood:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XskHytzMIrE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27SS8Pnmrok

Man, some of those could have really been improved by just understanding the limits of computer animation at the time (and hiring competent modelers and animators), like if the jus cut out all the humans out of CUBIX, the robots still look OK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

Len posted:

My fiancees sibling is one of those Just a Gypsy soultypes who has that plastered on all their social media despite taking offense to any other derogatory terms.

Most people I know like that think it means you wear a lot of scarves like Stevie Nicks, and Roma is just a kind of tomato.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

Go visit sometime, ten bucks says that place will be Scarf city, population: chunky jewelry.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I've been watching the blu ray of the 1994 Stand miniseries because it suddenly seems relevant again, and man did 1994 not have a problem calling people with developmental disabilities the r-word. Like, I thought it was used by just the evil characters at first, but everyone does it and it's not a slur to them.

Well it didn't used to be. Mentally Retarded was the accepted term, it literally meant a slowed mental growth. Hell it was on signs, THE DOVER HOME FOR THE MENTALLY RETARDED would be right there in green and white on the side of the road, it was fine, right up until it crept into common usage as a disparaging term. You want to see some crazy poo poo look up even older material on working with people with disabilities and see the terms they use: abnormal, feeble-minded, creature, imbecilic, and subnormal.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The only fantasy we need is "Wizard People, Dear Reader" and if you don't agree then I wish you luck on not hating your parents for mixing up such an unthinkable person.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

also 2nding Wizard People, Dear Readers. Relistening to it I had forgotten how fatphobic it is, and how often it calls cousin Roast Beefy-Weefs retarded.

Were there any people in the movie who were fat and not an rear end in a top hat? Hagrid maybe, but he's more giant than fat.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

DrBouvenstein posted:

At least TNG tried, for like two episodes, to have a couple male crew members wear mini skirts as some sort of sign of wardrobe equality?

That was the dress uniform. Picard sometimes had to wear them to "fancy" space parties.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

If you want to have a crazy argument, next time someone comes at you pro spanking, come back at them pro elder abuse. Deep down i know it's just bullying, but it really feels great. I feel every reason to hit a child is a valid argument of why i can, no SHOULD beat up the elderly, and any reason i shouldn't is a reason they should keep their drat hands to their selves and leave those kids alone.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

I listened to an interview with one of the ad guys who worked on olestra, and he claimed that in focus groups people who ate the chips absolutely did not care about the diarrhea. the taste plus promises of low calories was just too good , but late night talk shows took a lot of the wind out of there sails before the products were in many markets.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

Picnic Princess posted:

I grew up in a small town on the Canadian prairie and the principal used to hit kids with rulers and belts when I was in elementary school. If you were REALLY bad you got the belt on your bare rear end. This was not questioned by other adults either. Teachers were okay with it, parents were okay with it. I'd go home and mention someone from my class was sent to the office and got the belt. And I'm not even 40 yet. I think that poo poo died in cities a number of years earlier, at least near where I was.

It drives me crazy that all the people i know who are fine with this completely lose their poo poo when i bring up elder abuse. Like lots of the things I saw or had done to me as a punishment growing up would now be considered sexual assault. I can't even be around a lot of family members anymore because we can't find compromise between "never hit a woman or an old person" and " if you pull my hair, hit me, or throw boiling water on me again I will beat the everloving poo poo out of you".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

I blame a lot of things on our Forever Wars, but I really think you can draw a line from advances in medicine to more disfigured men coming home from war to stereotypical gay and trans villains. You used to be able to just show a hosed up person and everyone would go " Oh, thats the bad guy!" because years of movies and stories had given us that visual short hand, but then soldiers started surviving long enough to come home, and a lot of them were pretty wrecked. You couldn't have physically deformed men be the go to anymore because those men were heroes! If they weren't they'd feel pretty bad about having big old chunks of their body blown off! And the media made it look like everyone went to war. Look back at old movies and comics, if there was a character who hadn't been to war, it was either explained so people wouldn't ask that question, or it was a major plot point.

So then we needed a new code for "this is obviously the bad guy", and a really quick, really lazy way is to show someone transgressing against social mores and norms. Trans and gay people were just a super easy target.

Also you could get a little more juice out of a story by making a killer gay to be extra scary, because then he could be a threat to me, the default white male.