Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Inescapable Duck posted:

Didn't some Deep South state pass an anti-abortion law that basically made it illegal for a woman not to be pregnant?

One state almost made it to law that pregnant women cannot be put on trial for murder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

My memory of the MadTV was that the original cast was funny, but they did have terrible attrition of talent between the seasons and all the replacements were either one gimmick wonders or just plain awful.

It could have lasted longer, but having no promising prospects and using the "beat the dead horse" as your writing strategy does not pay off. And I live in a country where SNL is completely behind a paywall on a subscription channel so I cannot even compare the two.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Who exactly can consider two-time Oscar for lead role-winning actor to be "just keep on rolling with a stalled career doing things they find interesting sometimes"?

I would hope that Jack Nicholson, Meryl Streep and Daniel Day-Lewis have better things to do than to talk poo poo about Tom Hanks.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Coming from a country which still has active draft for all male population; if you want to have the "they'll call the dead before they draft me"-papers, you really need to commit to being a loving lunatic at the draft examinations.

They also have a number of people specially trained for seeing thru the acts and pinpointing the actually crazy ones.

Saying that you poo poo yourself constantly just puts you into the artillery regiment.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Rangpur posted:

...because making GBS threads yourself is actually an advantage in that field, or just to screw them over for attempting to draft dodge?

Because of the attempt, and because the "not so bright, not physically very capable" are all sent to the artillery (or supply but artillery is generally considered the shittier job). Smart ones go to the com-ops, tech or engineering, physically fit to the various areas of infantry and armored. Smart and fit go the the special forces or "counter action groups".

Insane but in a positive way are sent to become part of the pioneer corps.

EDIT: Air Force and Navy may have different flavors but I have no idea on those, I was assigned to the Army pool.

Der Kyhe has a new favorite as of 20:34 on Nov 15, 2017

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

What's pioneer in this context? Combat engineer?

Yes combat engineers; the "how to change a lightbulb with an explosive"-guys. Not the ones who build brigdes and stuff.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

Something that's aged weirdly in The Beverly Hillbillies (a.k.a. the show your grandmother thought her grandmother was uncool for liking) is how Granny Clampett is your typical senile, deranged old southern lady who misses the Confederacy... but thinks that the Confederacy was fighting the Civil War to make the Yankees abolish slavery. It's a strange joke to look back on.

Is it somehow related to the thing that value-wise the republicans and democrats have pretty much switched places?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

It’s good when you can hear an audience member lose it and it’s fun when the audience catches on to a joke early.

Basically genuine laughter can be good.

Live audience and canned laugh are not the same thing.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

Some shows like Happy Endings suffered from having too many rapid fire jokes. They blaze past you unless you have captions on or if you're the type that rewatches episodes over and over. One thing that laughter helps with is pacing the jokes. Seinfeld and Newsradio used them well.

The original Police Squad! was shitcanned because it required viewers to concentrate too much on the episode, and was somehow considered too "intellectually demanding" for the american audiences.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Sweevo posted:

Apparently he used to demand a small cameo as a condition of allowing people to film in any of his hotels or other properties. People would say "sure, whatever", film the scene, then immediate edit it out (or sometimes they'd just pretend to film it then tell him later that "whoops guess the camera went wrong and we don't have time to re-shoot it"). Occasionally the scene would get left in, like Home Alone 2.

It also shouldn't be a surprise that before the Apprentice show the guy was mostly known for being famous (and wealthy and a bit of a buffoon). It's not exactly a rocket science, or unheard of, why a celebrity endorsing poo poo as his main line of business keeps appearing everywhere.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

How did Roseanne herself end up going from would-be Green Party candidate to hardcore Trump supporter? :confused:

Even from her Comedy Central Roast it is pretty obvious that she is not mentally very well balanced person.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

So she and Trump are a perfect match, really.

Didn't Donald's Roast have that one stupid gently caress from the MTV reality TV momentually bomb on the stage?

Obviously it was an inside job to make everyone else much better.

EDIT: Yes! "The Situation" from Jersey Shore was so bad that the other comedians ran in to keep the thing afloat. Also, hi to all DHS agents who are reading this message due to the red flagging with Trump and bombs and such.

Der Kyhe has a new favorite as of 21:12 on Dec 12, 2017

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

The one joke type that Trump banned from his roast was anyone making jokes about how much money he had. You could imply that he wanted to sleep with his own daughter all you wanted but you couldn't say he was really poor.

...Which is stupid because demonstrably his personal and family wealth is still loving massive compared to anyone here, or most places anywhere.

But he does have that weirdish way of calculating his name brand into the personal wealth, which probably exists to get him from the low-end of the billionaire spectrum to the high-middle, but still regardless of everything else, he is a member of the 0.0000001% club where the actual numbers are meaningless to him or his immediate family.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

hawowanlawow posted:

I don't recall any jokes about Disney in the good Simpsons seasons

This might be a fever dream but didn't Goofy kill himself with a gas chamber in one Halloween special? I think that is from one of the old episodes.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted:

Much like all British television, nothing interesting or entertaining. It's a group of unfunny people getting upset that another unfunny person wasn't being the scripted unfunny they were trying to be. Basically like what QI would be if the US tried to adapt it. Just terrible.

Network in the US decided to cancel the original "Police Squad!" for being too intellectually demanding.

Do we really need to present any other evidence?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Police Squad's early end was a blessing to the showrunners because they felt they couldn't keep up such rapid-fire comedy on a weekly show.

Then maybe, don't order/demand 20+ episodes at that pace?

English/European one season is 4-10 episodes, usually for a reason.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Inspector Gesicht posted:

On the other hand you have Sherlock which only did three feature-length episodes every two years and very quickly turned to dross. Hbomberguy made the point that the show had too much money and that they splashed out on pointless effects like a Matrix camera-trick for a wedding scene.

... But it also created the Hercule Poirot (1989-2013) with David Suchet which despite the latter relapse into the more serious tone is still the gold standard of mystery novel series.

Even with the new movies which try to reboot the series, it is impossible to read the books and not see the Suchet Poirot in action.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

JediTalentAgent posted:

The Are You Being Served thing about the pussy talk just made me think of this: I was watching a Christmas episode of Welcome Back, Kotter for a few minutes a couple of days ago and there's an exchange where he and his wife/gf/whatever are exchanging gifts.

He gives her a Christmas Tree, she gives him a Hanukkah Bush.

Wife: "I love your tree."
Kotter: "I love your bush."

No laughtrack, no nothing, it just was said and was they moved right on. I don't even know if it was an intentional innuendo thing that slipped past the censors or if he literally was only referring to the plant, but I just started thinking that in a modern show that would be a showcase joke. We'd have reaction to the comment, audience laughter, etc.

One easy rule of thumb:

If its not live broadcast, its always intentional.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I don't get that at all. My exposure to Will & Grace is limited but isn't his character's whole thing is that he doesn't come off as cartoonishly gay as the other gay character on the show (I don't know his name)?

Will was the type that wasn't obviously gay but wasn't closeted, so your ordinary "invisible gay person". Jack was the stereotype for, and I now quote the series itself, "so gay that there is a possibility that they run out of the spectrum to measure him".

Here Will & Grace was between shows that I actually liked, that's my excuse.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

MariusLecter posted:

Wasn't there an episode of Spin City where a billionaire runs against the mayor and loses after the mayor gives an impassioned speech about public service and responsibility? :allears:

That's not aging badly, that's just a sad reminder of better, more innocent, times.

But on the other hand, there is a Dave Chappelle-meme saying that "Watching the Hillary Clinton campaign was like watching Darth Vader giving the 'I have a dream' -speech".

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

purple death ray posted:

Other people being worse does not mean that Hillary isn't also very terrible

Don't get me wrong, I fully agree that Hillary was terrible, and her campaign was absolutely abysmal on several levels, mostly for relying on shaming people into the booths; there really was no winning candidate.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

sweet geek swag posted:

All the adults on the show were good. Bob and Midge were always fun, Kitty was great and Red was the best character on the show. The kids were all morons (even Donna) but that was sort of the point.

70's Show was funny but really 2 seasons too long. When they started to screentest replacements for Topher Grace in one-off episodes involving "new guys in the gang" it was too late. ...And like with Scrubs, the last season is just sad.

I find it that during the original run, I liked the kids and their antics, now its Red Forman all day every day.

And for some weirdest loving reason, Wilmer Valderrama was a huge loving star in our country.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Also, read them in English.

Translations lose or break like half of the jokes and funny bits.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

I sort of grew to like BBT. At first, I hated it because it showed nerdy university people being broken and barely functional people, but as the show goes on it actually sort of redeems most of the people just by showing them to be socially awkward, but understandable people with weird interests. It also has tremendously helped to popularize people working in the different fields of science, and science in general; this is always needed.

Similarly with the Mythbusters, it shows how things can work and how different things can be tested with experimentation. Some turbo-nerds hated the original MB simply because "its not proper science" etc., but gently caress me if it isn't entertaining show explaining the things and scientific principles to the common people. There is a reason why they do skip showing the 500 separate laboratory tests with minimal differences, I know that they *did* that sometimes behind the scenes. The general principle of conducting a proof-of-concept experiment, and if anything in it works, then try to work the rest of the kinks. And rest is just statistics and book-keeping and writing the whitepapers and/or submitting patents.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

The Bloop posted:

Roddenberry actually required Johnathan Frakes to shave his face and Denise Crosby to wear a merkin

The more I read about how Roddenberry managed the Star Trek reboot with the ST:TNG, the more miraculous it becomes that it actually was not a mid-season-replaced abortion.

Today it would surely be "5 episodes and gone forever".

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

Patrick Stewart was pretty sure that would be the case

Yeah, didn't he say that he unpacked his stuff and relocated for real only sometime into the third season or such?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Jedit posted:

Scorsese didn't just stop there, the bastard went on to shamelessly credit the writers of Infernal Affairs in his movie that was co-produced with the company that made the original.

Have you ever seen any research papers? The loving scientists brag about where they stole the idea from, and even list the places separately at the end of the paper. Disgusting assholes.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Howard Beale posted:

I rewatched the first few seasons of Newsradio a while ago and it held up pretty well, except for the episode where Matthew becomes obsessed with Dilbert and Scott Adams gets a cameo.

At that time Dilbert was still that "weird comic that our engineering department likes". Scott Adams lost it at some point around the Office Space becoming a cult hit and Dilbert - the animated series tanking.

Although I used to be an engineer and liked the animated series. :(

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Araenna posted:

The Dick Van Dyke Show and The Mary Tyler Mooore Show did that too. Maybe back then they wanted to keep the characters more separate from the actual people? TV was still kinda new. I know they had Mary Tyler Moore not be a divorcee in part because they were afraid they'd think she was the same character from The Dick Van Dyke show and that she'd divorced Rob Petrie. So maybe audiences weren't dumb, but the producers certainly thought they were.

This goes even further back; the original 'Rat pack' was self-advancing group that got many gigs simply because they were on the "Rat pack". Of course Sinatra and Dean Martin had several side gigs and they were otherwise talented.

...And I still have to stress the fact that the original "Police Squad" TV-series got poo poo canned for being too intellectually demanding according to the TV producers.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Krispy Wafer posted:

Someone very powerful at NBC hates Dick Wolf and will never let the Gunsmoke record fall.

Adding it all up, there have been 51 seasons of Law & Order or it's spin-offs. Which sounds amazing until you realize there have been 66 seasons of Survivor and the Amazing Race.

Written drama and game shows/reality really should not be judged based on the same scale.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Fumaofthelake posted:

If you look at it as a whole piece though those could be some of the parts that went so bad they can't gloss over them. The rosy propaganda ending is when they say "oh but now we caught their boss and we're totally gonna start killing them starting NOW so join NOW."

Its also implied that the army used a false flag operation by meteoring Buenos Aires to rally people to keep enlisting.

The movie ends after the first actually won battle against the bugs.

The sequels, well they do things.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

duck trucker posted:

Monk was a great show. I remember an episode where the cities garbage men go on strike and the piling up garbage and his uncontrollable ocd makes him lose his mind and he claims the murder victim was killed by Alice Cooper because he was jealous of his chair.

You cant say that and not include the bit that it actually *was* Alice Cooper doing a cameo. He was a fan of the show.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

Clip shows were a way to pad out a season. Don't want to write an entire 26th episode for the season? We'll write 5 minutes of new material to string together a bunch of clips from the last three seasons. There was also the writer's strike in 1988 that might have played a role, Star Trek The Next Generation famously had a terrible clip show episode because of that.

I also understood that since SFX and animation always dragged behind the film production schedule, shows which needed these things had to have 2-3 clipshow episodes per season to allow the other episodes to premier on time. Because no, we absolutely cannot accept one week every seven-nine weeks to be a rerun or something else.

This was obviously eased when the rendering times and such dropped from days to hours.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

I feel like up until the 90's syndication wasn't nearly as much of a thing as it is now, so a clip show was probably a nice refresher when you probably didn't get a chance to see reruns. Nowadays as soon as season 21 of the Big Bang Theory starts, you can get season 20 episodes on 3 different channels.

Definitely that, also. Especially if the show ran for multiple years and didn't get much rerun time during the original broadcasts.

Do not know about USA but here in the Northern Europe. for example we got TNG and other Treks as multi-year spanning no-inbetween-reruns ever, with a very small possibility of getting a Summer rerun of seasons 1-3 if the current was somewhere 5+ to get more viewers for the Fall season.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

This reminds me of one tv show from the late 90s which I haven't seen, but which I've read a lot about. It was a legal drama called Murder One which had a serialised story arc following a law firm which dealt with a single case throughout a season, which wasn't common in primetime dramas at that time.

The only trouble was, viewers weren't used to it yet (obviously shows like Homicide: Life on the Street had used ongoing storylines but they were supplementary to the cases of the week) and by the end of its first season, its "previously on" segment was purportedly close to 10 minutes long.

Ahead of its time, I guess. Everyone points to Profit as the big example of that, but I think Profit was supposed to have actually been a lot sillier than its reputation suggested.

Very outside of the box example, but I was actually annoyed when the Sam & Max adventure games-series switched from the crime of the week-style with a season-spanning story on the backseat to the season-spanning single cases.

I also hate series where the setting is obviously "we are grimdark because we are grimdark" and the series completely abandons their cool background and environment to just run "poo poo gets worse" episodes one after another. I think my brain is broken.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

The last season of Scrubs was really just "we do something because we were told to report back to the studio", the second-to-last season even ended with a perfectly acceptable series ender for a comedy series.

Although on their defense, they did try to change the name to "Scrubs: pre-meds" or something similar but were idiotically overruled by the network. Over half of the actors had left, and IIRC, even the original sets were dismantled but no, "make another season, no explanation on why everything is different or who these new people are". They literally had a 5-min intro in their first episode to skip forward a couple of years to explain the changes.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Tiggum posted:

I don't know how it holds up but I didn't mind the last season of Scrubs. I thought basically replacing the cast but keeping the old ones as secondary and background characters was a good idea.

I would not have hated it, probably even liked it, if it were organized and marketed as a Scrubs spinoff or continuance series. I actually liked the new main character and they way it was interwoven into the original series. Because the original series it was not, but could have been a passable continuance of the story/franchise/whatever.

The way the network forced it to be the "New and Improved Scrubs, now with vitamin C!" was my key issue. Horrible IPR management followed by a cavalcade of idiotic executive-level decisions by the network.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

My favorite things about Assassin's Creed 3 are how it's set in Revolutionary America so there's nothing to climb, leading to a Ubisoft Map Tower just being some flagpole on a small hill, and how the ending of the game boils down to Desmond not really paying attention to the game's themes and killing himself to pick the Templar ending (so the series can continue because they wrote themselves into a stupid corner).

AC3 also has the most boring main protagonist who also suffers greatly from "you do stupid poo poo in the cutscenes because we have no idea how to otherwise throw you into this next setpiece". The guy is literally outwitted by an illiterate muscle-for-hire, and is later completely stumped on the idea of actually *assassinating* someone who is within three feet from him.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Calaveron posted:

To be fair, the game isn’t shy about pointing out how Connor is being incredibly stupid about letting people manipulate him by taking advantage of his personal vendetta and how in the end he created a “free” country propped up by slavery and taking advantage of others and how disillusioned he is by the entire thing

I've said this before and know that it is probably impossible to write a cooler protagonist than Ezio, but when he showed up people on the wrong side of the stick ended up dead. Immediately.

The guy probably killed more than the Black plague, and took over a Vatican to administrate a beating to the most powerful man on the planet at that point. Because he wanted to.

Connor gets more concussions than the newspaper-Spiderman. And on similarly stupid reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

SpacePig posted:

I honestly never thought they'd make a worse character than Altaïr, who was barely a character at all, but Connor was the loving pits. He's not just boring, but he's also almost intentionally stupid for most of the game. It's really infuriating. They shoved Aveline into a portable game that nobody wanted to play, and gave the completely unlikable character the big console release.

Altaïr has the excuse of being the first game of the franchise, which was more or less a tech demo on this cool new premises they had designed. But yeah, he isn't much of a character.