Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

hard counter posted:

it mostly comes down to 'does the punchline, lesson, message or whatever still work in the presented context?' referencing events or fads that were only topical like 25 years ago

Going back to no one remembering insanely popular (at the time) shows like Ally McBeal... Futurama gets a little meta on its aging poorly in that early episode where the aliens come to Earth after seeing centuries-old tv transmissions and demand to see "McNeal".

As an old fart, just curious: did any one of you young 'uns catch that episode on DVD/reruns and wonder what the hell the alien was talking about, or miss the joke? I never even watched Ally McBeal, but it was such a popular show at the time when the Futurama ep aired that I at least knew what it was referencing with the plucky young female lawyer and the co-ed restroom references. Now that's probably lost on many people entirely.

It's a show (well, an episode) that's aged poorly based on another show that aged poorly. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

gently caress. I'm writing too much about this subject but I guess it's becasue it hits so close to home for me and struggled for years with my sexuality. SMithers is OK by me.

As someone else who struggled with their sexuality and only had TV/movies/books to guide me into thinking about it positively (thanks, ultra-conservative preacher step-dad!), I find this a pretty interesting subject, perhaps worthy of its own thread. But where to put it?

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Inescapable Duck posted:

Sad thing is that's pretty much 99% of the representation Native Americans got or seem to ever get. When the stereotypes became distasteful it seems like they disappeared from media. About the only non-stereotypical Native American I can think of on a mainstream show is John Redcorn, and even he still parodies elements of the stereotype.

Scratching my head to come up with another example, first one to pop up was Michael Horse's role as Deputy Hawk on Twin Peaks. It's been probably over 20 years since I watched it, so someone correct me, but I seem to recall it being okay? (Then again, there were no doubt a lot of things I wouldn't have noticed as being offensive 20 years ago. Hence, this thread)

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Jeez Louise. I just looked up Clyne to refresh myself on which BSG character she was, and that 2011 photo on Wikipedia fits right in with the allegations that that crazy sex cult guru starved his slaves because he had a thing for skinny women.

And Chloe was one of the best points of Smallville (faint praise, I know). I gave up on that show somewhere mid run when Lana got a tattoo that made her a possessed by a Chinese ninja witch or some poo poo, but my husband powered through to the very end. I used to joke that he had some bizarre variety of Stockholm syndrome. That's a bit less funny, now, thinking about Mack being an actual cult victim.

I hope they both get help. :(

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

AvesPKS posted:

I didn't make it past season 3. I was pretty excited for the show; I remember seeing a billboard for it in spring of 2001. The monster of the week stuff started off fine. But then just go to Wikipedia and read the episode descriptions. Like you say, every other episode has a vampire, or a native American werewolf, or somebody being possessed, or Clark infecting himself with red kryptonite, or killer bees. And Lex would discover Clark's secret, but then turn out to be a clone double or something. I've watched soap operas with 'imaginary' characters that made more sense.

Yeah, you gave up while the going was good --- smart move. It really did turn into the worst soap opera ever, and I say this as someone who inadvertently got hooked on watching All My Children while recovering from an illness back in the early 90s. (Fun fact: I never got into Buffy because I hated Sarah Michelle Gellar's character on AMC so much. Just couldn't see her as anything but that loving brat Bianca Kane.)

Sad thing is, when they brought in new writers at the very end, there were some choice episodes if you're a big ol DC nerd like me. But it was still a matter of "so Doomsday is an EMT... Uh, okay, wake me up when you get to the one with Booster Gold."

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

JediTalentAgent posted:

I mentioned this in some other thread, but a trend in media. About 10-15 years ago it felt like 'Head Characters"/Hallucination/Imaginary Characters were a pretty popular thing in media that audiences were comfortable with on a consistent basis and not seen as too 'out there'. They went from being a one-off episode thing to important parts of a story for series that probably would have typically never used them as long-term devices.

In recent years, though, the alternative reality/timeline setting has seemingly replaced them.

Granted, both have been around for much longer than those recent examples, but there's seemingly been a lot of popular use of them them in media in more recent windows of time, too.

This thread brings up a lot of shows I haven't thought about in years, but that post just made me remember Hermans Head. I never watched it, but the premise struck as interesting (and totally bizarre at the time).

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Not Operator posted:

In terms of 80's cartoons that didn't age well, a friend of mine said he recently started a semi-ironic rewatch of the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon and gave up after one episode.

Anyone remember Thundarr the Barbarian?

I thought that was the absolute tits when I was a kid. If you're not familiar with the show, the premise is that in the year 1994, an asteroid collides with the moon, loving up earth's whole ecosystem and plunging humanity into a weird apocalyptic scenario.

In the actual year 1994, a guy who lived in the same college dorm as me scored a rare bootleg VHS copy of Thundarr at a comic con. gently caress yeah, Thundarr marathon! We threw a party just to celebrate his finding this tape in such an auspicious year.

Even drunk/high/20 year old me was filled with disappointment at how lovely this treasured childhood memory was. I can't imagine how sad it would make me now. :(

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

burial posted:

It’s weird because I grew up in what we call “the north country” and I really didn’t encounter open racism until about 9th grade - at which point, in art class, two giant dudes a grade or two ahead approached me about joining their new chapter of the klan. My response was something to the effect of “What? There aren’t even any ‘minorities’ here to hate. What the hell is wrong with you?"

I grew up in a very white suburb of Syracuse in the 80s, and remember far more Polish jokes than blatant racism against non-white folks. I think it was a perfect storm of Syracuse having a high Polish-descended population at the time (I kid you not, easily 1/2 of my friends or teachers had "ski" on the end of their name), coupled with the very popular Archie Bunker casually referring to Mike as his "idiot Pollack son in law".

I can't recall the last time I heard someone making a joke about or dissing Polish people, even in these vile wastes we call the Internet. I wonder how those Archie lines hold up to someone born way after me, just abject confusion?

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That's not the fault of Funko Pops. I've met people multiple like that and they'd have found something else to obsess over.

See: the guy I dated during my college years. I humored his Star Wars obsession when they rereleased the original trilogy in the 90s, until we spent every night hitting up stores to find action figures. When my kitchen cabinets started getting clogged with SW themed cups from Taco Bell, it actually killed a six year relationship. I loved him dearly, but I just couldn't take fighting over that anymore, and he refused to stop.

(When we parted ways and I moved, I found a rare Boba Fett variant in one of my boxes, and did sell it for a tidy sum. It was a good consolation prize for putting up with that so long.)

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

BgRdMchne posted:

The New Frontier animated movie was pretty drat good.
Hell yeah! That's one of my favorite books, and they did a good job adapting it as best they could.

quote:

The Killing Joke was loving awful.

Really? How could they screw---

Veotax posted:

"Batgirl didn't have anything to do in the original story before she got shot, so let's add some new scenes for her!"

"What should we do?"

"Let's have her gently caress Batman!"

:stare: Nevermind.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

fruit on the bottom posted:

I think Firefly was good… for the first season of a Sci-fi show on network television at the turn of the century.

:same:

IIRC, didn't Firefly get hosed up much like the Clerks cartoon, in that the network aired episodes out of their intended order? I dug both those shows, albeit watching them on dvd in the proper order. Sucks that they both didn't get a chance for more episodes because the narrative and/or in-jokes just fell flat because some network chucklefuck screwed with the airing, and casual viewers just peaced out when their initial eps didn't make a lick of sense and ratings tanked.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

To gently re-rail the thread, and combine smoking, doctors, and get us back on tv in one go:

I haven't watched it since it aired, but didn't the doctor on the BSG reboot smoke all the time? I always found that odd, for both "caring too much about the 'sci' in 'sci-fi'" and "holy poo poo, is that someone smoking on tv? I haven't seen that since the X-Files" reasons.

On that note, I'd be curious to rewatch and see how BSG holds up. I know it went batshit off the rails, but it still kept me hooked every week. I wonder if it's one of those shows where binging is a help or a harm.

(As an aside, I miss the avatar here on SA that was Tigh smoking a joint and the text was "Colonel Tigh more like Colonel High amirite" or somesuch)

JacquelineDempsey has a new favorite as of 23:50 on Jun 23, 2018

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

Big Bang Theory is the longest running multicam sitcom in history.

:psyduck: Really? I never saw the show until I had to stay with my in-laws for a few months last year, and they turned it on every night when we gathered around the dinner table --- even though they hated it (for even deeper level of :psyduck:); I guess they were just a couple in their early 70's who had Stockholm Syndrome of always putting channel 7 on at dinner time, idk. I should be in BBT's target demographic, I'm a big ol' comics/sci-fi/internet geek, but I absolutely hated it. Could well be because of the situation I was in while introduced to it (dinner with Trump-loving in-laws is never pleasant). But the fact that it's been on that long, and that well-received, it blows my mind.

I'm an old fart who grew up with shows like MASH and The Jeffersons and All In the Family, and, later, The Simpsons and Friends on during the 6pm syndicated tv dinner hour. If I win the lottery, I'm making a channel that will be basically that. (Essentially, what Nickelodeon used to be, if anyone here remembers what Nick at Nite was)

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

burial posted:

If you’re talking ‘90s Nick at Nite, wow. I was the only 10-15ish aged kid I knew that watched that stuff willingly. I loved it. I guess I assumed there were already plenty of nostalgia channels out there, but I don’t really seek them out.
:hfive: Hell yeah! Early 90's, and my college campus actually provided free cable to the dorm rooms. I'd be up at 2am watching Dobie Gillis, Dick Van Dyke, F Troop and the like; stuff that, as someone born in the 70's, I didn't have any nostalgia for, but just really liked those old black & white sitcoms. Somewhat akin to you, I was probably the only 19 year old who knew that Bob Denver was Maynard G. Krebs before he was Gilligan.

Now I'm nostalgic for the channel that played nostalgia for an era I wasn't even nostalgic about. That's... weird.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Does anyone else remember Kate & Allie? I loved that show as a kid and always thought they had a cool rear end house (the staircase is what sticks out in my mind). I just looked it up to refresh my memory --- they were two divorced, single moms, one working as a travel agent, the other staying at home to raise their daughters. Yeah, you can totally afford a massive 2 floor NYC brownstone and raise kids on one paycheck.

I dunno, maybe they were making mad alimony (Allie-money :dadjoke:) or something.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Precambrian posted:

I can't remember the name, but I know there's one actor who'll take any work he can because he's big on historic preservation for old theaters, which is basically a massive money sink.

Might not be who you're thinking of, but when Bill Murray was shooting Groundhog Day, they did some location work in my neighborhood. He heard our historic 1930s theater was about to be shut down for lack of money/needing renovations, so he spontaneously did a stand-up comedy gig there as a fundraiser, and saved the theater. It is still open and thriving.

Talk about a stand-up guy. :downsrim: (Seriously, though, my current boss got to meet him and said he's cool as hell)

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

All this X-files chat really makes want to revisit the show. My ex and I were absolutely religious nuts about the show, wouldn't miss it for the world, had episode guides and books about it as our bathroom reading, etc. it was our Sunday night ritual that he'd get off work, come over for a nice dinner, and we'd watch the Simpsons/King of the Hill/X-files line up on Fox.

I finally broke it off with him (great guy, never did me any wrong, but it just wasn't working), and tried to do it as amicably as possible. I invited him over for our Sunday dinner and tv fun, and so he could pick up some of his stuff. As we're watching X-files, I tried to assure him that "we can still be friends! We'll just be, y'know, like Mulder and Scully!"

Of COURSE that happened to be the episode when they finally kissed. Aaaaawkward. I never watched the show after that.

...Wait, that's not true, I did catch a later episode while at a friend's house, and was so confused. "Where are Mulder and Scully? Why is the T-1000 and some other chick investigating? Who are these people?" Was that era any good, or did I stop at the right point?

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Beachcomber posted:

I've been upset for a while that the news people ruined a perfectly good Egypt/cat name when they could have found a different acronym.

Yeah, it definitely hurts the possibility of this character showing up in the upcoming Shazam/Black Adam films.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FdBRLV6PGro

Something tells me "O Mighty Isis!" is not gonna fly well with focus groups. :(

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

For reasons I can't possibly fathom, I just woke up from a nap with the theme to "It's Garry Shandling's Show" playing on a loop in my worm-addled brain. I haven't thought about that in decades.

Wondered "huh, what's he been doing recently?" Not much as apparently he died 5 years ago. So, uh, guess he hasn't aged well.

(Is that show still funny? I recall really enjoying it when it first aired when I was a teen.)

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

One of the radio stations we listen to at work plays pop hits of the 80s and 90s. I generally like it 'cause it's songs from my youth. Pretty much every other day at least, they'll play "Funky Cold Medina".

I never really paid attention to the lyrics when it was popular (or understood how gross it is), and I can barely hear anything over the roar of a commercial hood vent. But today it came on while I could hear it, and HOLY poo poo. They are playing a song, daily, about getting women intoxicated so they can be taken advantage of sexually. Roofied, really. Unless of course it's a transwoman named Sheena, who has "an Oscar Meyer weiner" (edit: yes those are the lyrics).

That station and its parent corporation are getting one hell of an angry call/email/whatever else I can do from me, and I will not tolerate it being played at work anymore.

It's one thing to watch an old movie and cringe at a scene or two, but it's another to hear that almost every day as a woman, who works with 2 trans people.

JacquelineDempsey has a new favorite as of 02:34 on Apr 13, 2021

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

The one I grew up with was:

There once was a gal from Nantucket
Who sailed 'cross the sea in a bucket
But when she got there
They asked for a fare
So she lifted her skirt and said "gently caress it"

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Speaking of washed up offensive comedians who I never found funny: whatever happened to Andrew Dice Clay? When I was in high school he was supposed to be the height of comedy, and I just never got it. "So you're a douchebag who takes the first 2 lines from a nursery rhyme, then adds some curse words. Brilliant!"

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Check out the Sklar brothers mock him in their set. It's pretty funny and probably a good indicatorof where dice landed

https://youtu.be/_JvmfFHuIg8

That was indeed funny and satisfying, thank you!

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Speaking of Velma, wow that reboot did an absolute speedrun on not aging well. poo poo was terrible right out of the gate. We watched the pilot, with a reaction of "uhhh..." and then, giving it a chance, watched the second. Nnnnope. I can get my misogyny, racism, body/ethnicity-shaming, and what have you from numerous other places, thanks!

poo poo aged like I just forgot it's February and didn't check the expiration on a quart of eggnog from the gas station before having a swig. Just instant :barf:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Peter Dinklage singing about space pants (and Gwen Stefani flubbing her line during the number) will live forever in my heart.

Besides that, I haven't cared about SNL since we'd occasionally watch it in college in the early 90's.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Lemniscate Blue posted:

"Eh, probably just a publicity stunt." - Every New Yorker at least once in their life.

Reminds me of when I lived on Long Island and took the train in to attend NYU. I come up from the subway one day and see all these soldiers milling about, and holy poo poo is that a tank?! WTF is going on? I asked a stranger (who looked totally unfazed) while we were waiting at the crosswalk.

"Oh, they're shooting that Godzilla movie a couple blocks over." (Speaking of Emmerich!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Brawnfire posted:

Opens up bonus "organ" puns. You can really pull out all the stops.

From a week ago but just seeing it tonight.

All I gotta say is :perfect: